Ok. Probably about 99.9% of you looked at the title of this post and thought, "Oh god not another moron saying something stupid because he thinks that just because we are 3-4 going into the bye our season is over.." Because I dont think that all..
But I do think tradeing Ray Rice could not only help us, but also make our team better. And here's why:
1) The average "shelf-life" for an RB is 5-6 years. Okay, Okay. Yes, you can blame our lack of productivity in the run game on bad offensive line play. Fine. But you cant doubt that Rice is getting to the point that his worth is going to decline as time goes on. Personally, I'd like some high draft picks for the future before he drops off any more..
2) The "Cam Cameron" effect. Trading Ray Rice, one of the "Franchise Players", would effectivley put the entire team on Red Alert. No one would feel safe, because no one would see this coming. In turn, I think people would feel less security,forcing them to play better.
3) Cap, Cap, Cap. Rice made 17 Millon last year and is schedule to make 8 million by the conclusion of the 2013 season. That means over the next 3 years, if he were to stay and barring any type of restructure, he would account for roughly another 15-16 million. For those of you who would like to retain both Ngata and Suggs next year, this would help a LOT.
4) Depth. This is the least trade-friendly part of this post. Behind Rice, we have Bernard Pierce. Behind Pierce we have nothing. Not saying we couldnt pick up a free agent for the vet minimum but Pierce could definitley fill Rice's shoes, at least based off of this season. A Few current free agent running backs include: Michael Turner, Benie Wells, Cedric Benson.
5) October 29th, 4pm. This is this season's trade deadline. It is quickly approaching. And with us now on our bye week, the time to do this is NOW.
6) Suitable Partners. In no way would it be acceptable to trade with in divsion. And if a trade could happen outside of the conference it would be even better. There is a flurry of NFC teams that definitley could be looking to get a running back before the deadline. Number one on that list is he Dallas Cowboys. With Murray injured, and NFL gameday reporting that the team is not sold on him, Dallas is a possible spot. Additionally you have Tampa Bay; now that Martin is done for the season, the New York Giants; yes their season is pretty much over but they could easily be a spot for him, or even Atlanta with steven Jackson still out and the falcons TRYING to not give up on the season. Obviously, in my opinion Dallas is much more likely than any of the latter but, those are just a few possible suitors.
In conclusion, I really think moving Rice could be extremely beneficial to our team. And no matter what happens over the course of the rest of the season, even if we lose out, I will always LOVE my team, just like the rest of you guys.