34 replies to this topic

#1 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:12 AM

Alrighty fans and players we are officially in uncharted waters at 2-2.  While I am not a big fan of talking records until about half-way through the season I will say that we have seen it all.  We've been blown out, won a tight game, blown a team out, and lost a close game.  Our record could just as easily be 1-3 and 3-1.

I will also admit with the Bills game that I thought it was their game to lose at the end, but it just didn't happen. 

But anyways the purpose of this topic is to talk about what no-one else is talking about.  I think there are some contributing factors going on that have taken a back seat to other more popular topics. 

The first of which is the ever popular topic that the team and specifically the defense is missing Lewis and Reed.  While this is true (especially to the fans) to an extent the bigger topic should be on how the replacements are doing.  Through 4 games Daryl Smith has been a difference maker, and he energizes the defense with his play on the field.  Michael Huff has been an achilles heel to our defense and I'd go further to say that this defense misses Pollard too (another under-rated topic.)

Big athletic tight ends have run rampant on us this season and has been the [profanity deleted] in the Ravens armor so far this year.  Last year this wasn't the case, Lewis/Ellerber/Pollard performed well against tight ends and I think Pollard gave the secondary a fear factor.  Couple that with teams afraid to go over the top because of Reed and the defense could stack the box more often than not.  Unfortunately we didn't have the front seven that we have this year or we could've been top 10 last year. 

Furthermore, and more to the point I am very disappointed in watching Michael Huff.  He doesn't play with the physicality that is exemplary to the Ravens.  I see him get into position to make plays and he stops short on making the tackle.  There were 2 plays he should have blown up on Sunday had he continue running through and I don't like him covering tight ends either.  Really outside of Jimmy Smith I don't know if anyone in our secondary can cover elite tight ends, and Jimmy shouldn't be covering them often.

Now on the offense's side of things I see issues dating back to last year.  Road woes plague the offensive line, and I think communication specifically on the road is the biggest issue.  This leads to a trickle down effect of too many three and outs, quarter back pressure, and limited running space.  This group needs to play more physical, with confidence and in unison or this will turn into a very long season. 

I will say that the brightest spots on our offense is Torrey Smith (who has the stats to back it up) and Joe Flacco. 

Feel free to disagree about Flacco, but I would dare to say we would fare far worse without him.  He has looked sharp, he has looked poised, and for the most part has been accurate.  There are moments I wish he would throw the ball away instead of taking a sack, and the end zone pick against Buffalo was him trying to do to much. 

Lastly, I would say another under-rated topic about the offense is the under utilization of Rice in the passing game.  Without Pitta I thought we would see Rice more in the slot, but he has been non-exsistent in the passing attack. 

All in all I think the Ravens are due for a good bit of self scouting, and try to build on the positives while cleaning up the negatives.  It is still our division to lose, so let's defend this division title!

EDIT:  Ok so c h i n k in the armor is profanity eh?

Edited by Dudeman, 01 October 2013 - 11:16 AM.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#2 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:23 AM

I agree with all of what you said . I was opposed to signing Huff and went nearly ballistic when this forums was full of posters claiming he was better then Reed . offensively I would like to add Marlon Brown . I think Thompson might be just  another bright spot . Webb is a good corner and  Jimmy smith is finally showing the talent I know he has.

lol at the profanity filter.

Edited by runamuk, 01 October 2013 - 11:24 AM.

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#3 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

There is also an obvious disconnect in the defense, the talent is there but something is off.

#4 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,651 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

The first of which is the ever popular topic that the team and specifically the defense is missing Lewis and Reed.  While this is true (especially to the fans) to an extent the bigger topic should be on how the replacements are doing.  Through 4 games Daryl Smith has been a difference maker, and he energizes the defense with his play on the field.  Michael Huff has been an achilles heel to our defense and I'd go further to say that this defense misses Pollard too (another under-rated topic.)

Big athletic tight ends have run rampant on us this season and has been the [profanity deleted] in the Ravens armor so far this year.  Last year this wasn't the case, Lewis/Ellerber/Pollard performed well against tight ends and I think Pollard gave the secondary a fear factor.  Couple that with teams afraid to go over the top because of Reed and the defense could stack the box more often than not.  Unfortunately we didn't have the front seven that we have this year or we could've been top 10 last year. 

Furthermore, and more to the point I am very disappointed in watching Michael Huff.  He doesn't play with the physicality that is exemplary to the Ravens.  I see him get into position to make plays and he stops short on making the tackle.  There were 2 plays he should have blown up on Sunday had he continue running through and I don't like him covering tight ends either.  Really outside of Jimmy Smith I don't know if anyone in our secondary can cover elite tight ends, and Jimmy shouldn't be covering them often.

All in all I think the Ravens are due for a good bit of self scouting, and try to build on the positives while cleaning up the negatives.  It is still our division to lose, so let's defend this division title!

I agree 100%. 

I never really liked Huff but I thought he would do well and toughen up once he signed with the Ravens.  didn't happen!  he's as soft as milk toast!  smh!  as for Pollard?  a pure thumper and loves it!  Ed Reed was the finesse and Pollard was the muscle in our secondary.  we should've kept Pollard (coverage issues and all) and let Elam (another thumper and loves it) play alongside him.  both of them are aggressive and want to run through a receiver or come up and make a hit on a running back.  now that's fear!   lol!  Jimmy Smith also has the size and girth to be one hell of a CB that can put fear in people once he learns a few more techniques.  as far as the Ravens self scouting?  it's all on film for the entire world to see!  you can't miss it!  4 games of this junk!  i'm wondering where is the heart?  where is the pride that "we" fans keep saying that this group of men have?  even Flacco said the O-line needs to play more physical.  just NEVER thought that we'd be calling for a Ravens team to play more physical.  wow...have times changed!  stand up!  and man up Ravens!  damn!

~Mili

@Mili

mili1.png

"Hunt!  Hunt!  Hunt!  Keep Hunting!  Until You Put'em on Your Wall!"

- Ray Lewis

#5 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

Now on the offense's side of things I see issues dating back to last year.  Road woes plague the offensive line, and I think communication specifically on the road is the biggest issue.  This leads to a trickle down effect of too many three and outs, quarter back pressure, and limited running space.  This group needs to play more physical, with confidence and in unison or this will turn into a very long season. 

I will say that the brightest spots on our offense is Torrey Smith (who has the stats to back it up) and Joe Flacco. 

Feel free to disagree about Flacco, but I would dare to say we would fare far worse without him.  He has looked sharp, he has looked poised, and for the most part has been accurate.  There are moments I wish he would throw the ball away instead of taking a sack, and the end zone pick against Buffalo was him trying to do to much. 

Lastly, I would say another under-rated topic about the offense is the under utilization of Rice in the passing game.  Without Pitta I thought we would see Rice more in the slot, but he has been non-exsistent in the passing attack. 

Dude! Good topic Dude!

Ray and Ed missing? Naw, I don't think it's an issue. Daryl Smith is a huge upgrade. And Elam should round into shape nicely. Huff is a definate bust. Maybe better at CB?  Ighedibo is thumpin', maybe not as hard as Pollard did, but he's not getting the regular, once a game 15 yarder BP is known for either. But I am concerned about the pass D across the middle.  I think the unit as a whole needs more time playing together. It seems the potential is there for them to be very special.

I share your unpoular opinion on Joe. I think he has been a rock while facing one problem after the other. His mobility in the bills game was outstanding and in my opinion only one of the picks was a bad throw/decision. The other 4 were either great defensive play, horrible receiver play, or him getting smashed to the ground while he was throwing. Not sure how he kept his poise with a free runner coming at him on just about every play. I'm more than happy that he is the Ravens' QB and in no way think he is any part of the problem with the O......... Gotta get the line fixed and gotta get someone on the field that can be a dependable target at TE.

Torrey is becoming one of the premier receivers in the NFL. I hope we can afford his first vet deal!

I also agree with getting RR involved more in the passing game. He's basically been gone now for two games, but hopefully will be at full speed this week. I don't see us leaving him in the barn if he's healthy and ready to go and as you point out, could be used more creatively.

For me, our fate this season boils down to the O line performance. If it gets fixed, we get into the tournament. If not, well, we book a golf trip in January.

#6 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,148 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:30 PM

I am one who thought huff would be a great addition because he was very solid playing cb for Oakland last yr

#7 TSizzle00

TSizzle00

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:49 PM

All of last year the Ravens defense was ravaged by TEs, Ray Lewis was terrible at covering and so was Pollard he  just put up big hits. Ravens D last year was terrible for a SB team. Many people said TE's were the Ravens weakness because the ILB couldn't cover them well. Even in the SB the 49ners TE ravaged the Ravens defense. That weakness continues this year because of inexperience at the ILB position. Last year it was cause of Rays advanced age contributing to his lack of sideline to sideline speed to cover slanting TEs.

Metalsiren00 on ESPN.COM

GO RAVENS

AFCN

#8 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,664 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

stand up!  and man up Ravens!  damn!

~Mili

The new battle cry!  Stand up and man up!!! Damn!!! LMAO!

#9 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

Uncharted territory? Could have sworn we started off 2-3 in 2008 and were 4 mins away from a SB appearance
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#10 Brandon22

Brandon22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:56 PM

There is also an obvious disconnect in the defense, the talent is there but something is off.

The Scheme

"Its not about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward!...thats how winning is done!"-Rocky
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#11 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

Uncharted territory? Could have sworn we started off 2-3 in 2008 and were 4 mins away from a SB appearance

We've always been 3-1 under Harbaugh to start the year, and it is also uncharted territory without Lewis/Reed but I digress.

Mili--> Amen, man up, stand up!!  This team needs to get mean, and it needs to get angry. 

T-SizzleOO--> You're right, but it's worse this year.  At least some tight ends were scared of Pollard (New England mostly.)  

#12 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

We've always been 3-1 under Harbaugh to start the year, and it is also uncharted territory without Lewis/Reed but I digress.

Mili--> Amen, man up, stand up!! This team needs to get mean, and it needs to get angry.

T-SizzleOO--> You're right, but it's worse this year. At least some tight ends were scared of Pollard (New England mostly.)

Like I said, you may want to review the 2008 season....
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#13 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

I stand corrected, I could've sworn we were 3-1 but I just checked it out on http://en.wikipedia....e_Ravens_season

#14 Brandon22

Brandon22

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Explain.

in our 3-4 we mainly blitz three and end up getting double teamed when we bring our corners,linebackers,or safeties into the equation we leave someone opened for a big play and it usually hurts us 

"Its not about how hard you can hit, its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward!...thats how winning is done!"-Rocky
- Baltimore Ravens Message board First Hall of Famer

#15 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,253 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

To put it in a little perspective even:

We began 2-3. We lost 2 close ones to the Steelers & Titans. Both games were decided by a FG.

Won a close one with the Bengals.

Routed the Browns.

Got smashed by Indy.

Still..we were this close to the SB.

I might add our offense was nothing to write home about early that season either.

Edited by ravensdfan, 01 October 2013 - 04:17 PM.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#16 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Can not follow rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:17 PM

Lol, that's what I was thinking when I first read that.

Anyway, I think it's worth noting that BAL historically struggles a lot on the road.  It is what it is.  As long as BAL can win out at home & in division games, I won't complain.

<p><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);"><span style="font-size:24px;">Banned</span></span>.</p>

#17 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,667 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:25 PM

EDIT: Ok so c h i n k in the armor is profanity eh?

That word can be used as a racial slur and the profanity filter can't tell context sorry.

Anyway, on topic: I'm interested in seeing how we respond. I don't know if it's a coincidence that the offense has been terrible in two road games, it's been that way for awhile.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#18 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:43 PM

I stand corrected, I could've sworn we were 3-1 but I just checked it out on http://en.wikipedia....e_Ravens_season

all good, only pointing that out before the crazies get here and start talking about how we obviously aren't contenders and should tank the season.
and yes, people have actually suggested that already...

#19 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

We are tied with the Browns......

#20 Militant X 1

Militant X 1

"Raven Renegade757"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,651 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

all good, only pointing that out before the crazies get here and start talking about how we obviously aren't contenders and should tank the season.
and yes, people have actually suggested that already...

agreed!  by no means do I feel that our season is lost after 4 struggling games in all of my venting.  however, this thing can snowball on'em fast if the Ravens don't wake up!  especially, that O-line.  sheesh!  I believe that our boys can play better than this and they need to starting on Sunday vs the dolphins and on the road!  they need to log in a solid performance on both sides of the ball!

~Mili

@Mili

mili1.png

"Hunt!  Hunt!  Hunt!  Keep Hunting!  Until You Put'em on Your Wall!"

- Ray Lewis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users