16 replies to this topic

#1 Super-PAT

Super-PAT

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

Since Bill Belichick became head coach in 2000, the Patriots have won 10 divisional titles, gone to the playoffs 10 times and advanced to five Super Bowls—winning three within a four-year span. With a 205-109 career record (including the postseason), Belichick ranks first among active coaches and sixth on the all-time list.

As vice president of player personnel and general manager of the Ravens, Ozzie Newsome has presided over drafts that have harvested such stars as offensive tackle Jonathan Ogden, linebacker Ray Lewis, cornerbacks Duane Starks and Chris McAlister, running backs Jamal Lewis and Ray Rice, safety Ed Reed, linebacker Terrell Suggs and defensive tackle Haloti Ngata. In 2008, Newsome hired John Harbaugh as coach and drafted quarterback Joe Flacco, a 1-2 punch that has helped propel the Ravens on a run of five consecutive playoff appearances that culminated in a Super Bowl championship last season.

If their resumes don't impress you, maybe this will. Belichick and Newsome are the best head coach and best general manager in the NFL, according to an SI.com canvassing of league general managers.

Confirms what we've known all along, both successful teams highly thought of arround the league. 

#2 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for sharing this.

#3 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

In Ozzie We Trust 

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#4 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,890 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

Those would be my answers if someone asked me.  

I know Bill gets no love, but he always seems to be ahead of the curve and he dictates with what he wants to do (on both sides of the ball).

Ozzie, well is Oz.  He's patient, he doesn't overpay, and doesn't panic.  He's developed a successful unique system to putting together a team and it shows over our young existence.  

Posted Image

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

I agree with this.  I'm no fan of Bill at all, but I can't deny that he's an incredibly good coach.

#6 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Thanks for sharing . I have much respect for Bill he is brilliant and it goes without saying that Ozzie is the best ever.

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#7 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,019 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

Poor, poor Cleveland lol

#8 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

I know Bill gets no love, but he always seems to be ahead of the curve and he dictates with what he wants to do (on both sides of the ball).

Ozzie, well is Oz.  He's patient, he doesn't overpay, and doesn't panic.  He's developed a successful unique system to putting together a team and it shows over our young existence.  

I don't know, his defensive prowess has dropped considerably since his early days I think.  Not only that he seems no longer capable of even remotely finding a half decent DB.  Early 2000 Bill knew how to build a defense for his scheme, now he has a pretty poo Dline outside of Wilfork who is so good he makes the rest of them better, ontop of that he's drafted 1 LB who's a 3 down player in Mayo.  Spikes is like a 1 down LB he took in the 2nd round and they don't even really know what to do with Hightower who's a 2 down LB at best.

Offensively his mind is ridiculous.  Which is odd considering he's in the HOF already as a defensive coach for his gameplan as the Giants DC.

#9 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,099 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

I don't know, his defensive prowess has dropped considerably since his early days I think. Not only that he seems no longer capable of even remotely finding a half decent DB. Early 2000 Bill knew how to build a defense for his scheme, now he has a pretty poo Dline outside of Wilfork who is so good he makes the rest of them better, ontop of that he's drafted 1 LB who's a 3 down player in Mayo. Spikes is like a 1 down LB he took in the 2nd round and they don't even really know what to do with Hightower who's a 2 down LB at best.

Offensively his mind is ridiculous. Which is odd considering he's in the HOF already as a defensive coach for his gameplan as the Giants DC.

This doesn't speak to his coaching but his "gm" abilities. He can change his team to a completely different style at he drop of a hat. Mid season cut moss and go from a vertical wide open attack to small ball while the ship is moving. No one has ever tried that and certainly not been successfull. This is the coach bill. Dies not speak to his scouting and drafting prowess in recent yrs especially defensively as you state. These are two different things.

2014 BR.COM Forum Franchise Draft

NY Giants

Round 1: Zack Martin(OT/G), Notre Dame  Round 2:  Demarcus Lawrence(DE), Boise St.  Round 4:  Preston Brown(LB), Louisville.  Round 4:  Devonta Freeman(RB), Florida St. Round 4:  Devin Street(Wr), Pitt.  Round 5:  Aaron Murray(QB) Georgia  Round 6:  Jalen Saunders(Wr), Oklahoma, Round 6:  Marcus Williams(CB), North Dakota State  UDFA:  Willie Snead(WR) Ball State, Alden Darby(S)Arizona state, Antonio Andrews(RB) WKU

#10 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,890 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

I don't know, his defensive prowess has dropped considerably since his early days I think.  Not only that he seems no longer capable of even remotely finding a half decent DB.  Early 2000 Bill knew how to build a defense for his scheme, now he has a pretty poo Dline outside of Wilfork who is so good he makes the rest of them better, ontop of that he's drafted 1 LB who's a 3 down player in Mayo.  Spikes is like a 1 down LB he took in the 2nd round and they don't even really know what to do with Hightower who's a 2 down LB at best.

Offensively his mind is ridiculous.  Which is odd considering he's in the HOF already as a defensive coach for his gameplan as the Giants DC.

This doesn't speak to his coaching but his "gm" abilities. He can change his team to a completely different style at he drop of a hat. Mid season cut moss and go from a vertical wide open attack to small ball while the ship is moving. No one has ever tried that and certainly not been successfull. This is the coach bill. Dies not speak to his scouting and drafting prowess in recent yrs especially defensively as you state. These are two different things.

Agreed.  I've never been high on Bill as a GM.  I always love how he's able to pick up a mass-load of picks, but he never does anything with them.  Well, at least in recent years.  

But as a coach, you probably won't find another HC that puts as much input into both the offensive and defensive gameplan as Bill does.  He's not afraid to take chances and try new things.  He's usually the one that is dictating how the game is going to be played.  

Edited by PuRock, 05 September 2013 - 03:33 PM.

Posted Image

#11 The_11th_Raven

The_11th_Raven

Rookie

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

Belichick can tick me off sometimes but I think it's only because he's a patriot.  I have a ton of respect for the man. And of course I love his Maryland roots. Lol. And Ozzie is just Ozzie. Class act and the best GM bar none. IN OZZIE WE TRUST.

#12 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Absolutely they are, I just find it odd that because there's no mind between him and what player he drafts that he'd be able to find guys that fit his scheme perfectly and can actually play.  I think it takes away a little bit, not a lot, but a tad of his coaching prowess.  He's evolved his schemes over the years but even the new ones get shredded.  I don't know, to me it just feels like he's lost abit defensively while picked up like x1000 times offensively lol.  That's what seems so strange to me, he can find offensive guys that shred defenses, but he can't find a DB that can defend a pass without a safety directly over top?

#13 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,474 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

Belichick can tick me off sometimes but I think it's only because he's a patriot.  I have a ton of respect for the man. And of course I love his Maryland roots. Lol. And Ozzie is just Ozzie. Class act and the best GM bar none. IN OZZIE WE TRUST.

same here, I am kind of dislike him just because of him being Patriot but other than that, the man has changed the game for sure.  I admire his diverse expertise as a football genius with drafting ability.

We have to thank him for recommending John to Biscotti for head coach job in 98.  Nobody sees John will be successful but Belichick.  He and Ozzie are top notch GM in the league and Belichick is sure top notch coach in the NFL and the history. 

The dude looks cocky, I think it's because it's everybody playing his game right now......

2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#14 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,265 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

They spelled John Harbaugh wrong. They should fix that.

bJNF689.jpg

#15 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,722 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

Belichick gets knocked for being abrasive, the taping thing, and being the NFL's bad guy, but the dude really is a genius.  He's not scared to innovate, and I think that his horrific defense for that 3-4 year stretch would have been even worse without him there since they had basically no talent.  It was understandable, they lost so many guys after losing in 2007, but still.  Belichick and Brady both deserve more respect than they're given around here, and if Art Modell wasn't an idiot it's very possible that Belichick would still be our coach today.

#16 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,385 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:57 PM

Bill Bellichick - great coach, horrible talent evaluator.  My understanding is, unlike here where there seems to be so much input from everyone on who we draft, Bellichick is basically a one-man show up there in New England.  They've whiffed on more than a few picks in the last few years - if he had a GM like Ozzie I think they would have won both of those Superbowls against the Giants.  That's what I love the most about our team - we have so many guys willing to share responsibilities, so everyone can do the best job with the duties they have.

Edited by Ravenslifer, 05 September 2013 - 07:01 PM.

#17 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,722 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

Bill Bellichick - great coach, horrible talent evaluator. My understanding is, unlike here where there seems to be so much input from everyone on who we draft, Bellichick is basically a one-man show up there in New England. They've whiffed on more than a few picks in the last few years - if he had a GM like Ozzie I think they would have won both of those Superbowls against the Giants. That's what I love the most about our team - we have so many guys willing to share responsibilities, so everyone can do the best job with the duties they have.

He's making himself do too much imo. Again I say imagine if him and Ozzie were still a duo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users