Finally, we are at the last position of this segment. Next week, we will have the final vote and I will compile our consensus 53 man roster from there. Last on the list is tight end, one of the positions in biggest flux. To pick the number of TE's, we will again go by the standard, which in this case is 3. Please, when picking, choose only three TE's. If you think 2 or 4 make it, please save that for next week's final vote.
Here are your candidates:
1. Ed Dickson (26) - Dickson is battling a torn hamstring right now, but that won't keep him from making the roster. He's the best option we have right now after Pitta's injury. He is a downfield threat that can make big plays, but don't count out his skill in the intermediate range either. He's a willing blocker, although he's average. He'll be on the 53.
2. Billy Bajema (30) - Bajema has some familiarity with the Ravens after winning a ring with them last year. He's known for his blocking, which is absolutely great out of a TE. He doesn't offer too much in the passing game, but will occasionally come down with the ball if need be. He's in competition for one of the two remaining spots.
3. Dallas Clark (34) - Clark is a recent FA signing. We have yet to see him in action here, but he has plenty of tape from the past to judge him on. He cannot block at all, but he's a reliable pass catcher that can operate as a slot receiver. He's likely going to fill the Pitta role this year, a reliable pass catcher over the middle. Expect him to become one of Flacco's favorites.
4. Visanthe Shiancoe (33) - Shiancoe was brought in after Pitta went down. He's gotten the majority of first team reps but hasn't performed too well. He's been wildly inconsistent. He's come up with some great catches, but also some pretty bad drops. He's also a willing blocker, but average at it. He's in competition for one of the final 2 spots.
5. Matt Furstenburg (24) - Matt is the fan favorite UDFA of the year. He came out of the draft with great measurables and was poised to make the before the 3 vets above made their way here. He's done very well so far this preseason, but has struggled in practice against more talented players. Either way, he deserves more reps and will be in consideration for one of the last two spots.
6. Alex Silvestro (24) - Silvestro is likely just a camp body. He's an attractive piece to keep around because he can play on the DL as well. He's a bigger bodied TE that can offer a bit in the blocking game as well. He doesn't have much of a shot at the team, so expect him to be cut among the first wave.
7. Dennis Pitta (28) - As we all know, Pitta is hurt and will not make the original 53. He may be a candidate for the IR/Designated to Return list, however.
Edited by rmw10, 17 August 2013 - 10:14 AM.