Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blitzking33

Matt Elam and Arthur Brown

58 posts in this topic

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/23167783/rookies-matt-elam-arthur-brown-emerging-in-baltimore

An offseason where a franchise loses two legends of the game, it's a relief that their two replacements are showing passionate, aggressive and instinctive play. I know what you're probably thinking: "But Matt Elam is Pollard's replacement, not Ed's"... Ed actually came in the league as a SS and I believe played SS for his first three years.

Man I hope these guys become best buddies like Ray and Ed once were; put their lockers next to eachother or something. In yesterday's game when Brown sniffed out the play and Elam came in with the clean-up hit, I was hoping that they would at least high-5 or something lol. Can't wait till they develop chemistry like their predecessors because everyone believes they will be here for a long time.

Can't wait.

v2vatf.jpg

Arthur Brown is such a beast. Everything I expected him to be. I think he'll get that position over Bynes. I'm not sure if he'll get it to begin the season but I think by the end of the year he will.

I was at the game yesterday, these two guys will and should start.  Elam is improving and I think he is better than Ihedigbo at this point already.  Arthur Brown was going sideline to sideline.  He has great speed and a good amount of intelligence.  We may have a couple of gems on our hands.

Ihedigbo has made zero plays this preseason. Matt Elam had two big hits against the Bucs, he had 6 total tackles (five solo) one for a loss. Not to mention he slammed Steven Jackson to the ground when no one else could.

I was at the game yesterday, these two guys will and should start.  Elam is improving and I think he is better than Ihedigbo at this point already.  Arthur Brown was going sideline to sideline.  He has great speed and a good amount of intelligence.  We may have a couple of gems on our hands.

Id say great intelligence also. He has been talked about for great instincts in college and they showed last night with him blowing two plays up in the backfield. Im waiting for people to start claiming he will be the next Ray Lewis, that will be a stretch but he does have Navarro Bowman potential IMO.

I don't see Brown ever replacing Ray. He isn't the same player because of what Lewis's provided as a leader. If anyone is the next Ray it'll be Elam in my opinion. I see more of Brown being like Reed with Elam being more like Ray.

If you're talking about skill, I think Brown could be up there with Ray.

I don't see Brown ever replacing Ray. He isn't the same player because of what Lewis's provided as a leader. If anyone is the next Ray it'll be Elam in my opinion. I see more of Brown being like Reed with Elam being more like Ray.

If you're talking about skill, I think Brown could be up there with Ray.

I know you're talking about more of a leadership/personality type of thing here, but Brown actually reminds me a lot of a young Daryl Smith.  One of those silent guys that's going to go out there and do work.  I'm not sure he's ever going to get that recognition that he deserves, but true fans that follow football will know just how good he is.

Brown is tremendously fast and, once the game slows down for him and he gets comfortable in the scheme, he can be really disruptive. He's not as strong as Ray Lewis, he'll get washed during run plays, but he can compensate by working around blockers and finding gaps - like he did against the Falcons.

Sometimes he just seemed like he had energy to burn and was flying around without making an impact.

I know you're talking about more of a leadership/personality type of thing here, but Brown actually reminds me a lot of a young Daryl Smith. One of those silent guys that's going to go out there and do work. I'm not sure he's ever going to get that recognition that he deserves, but true fans that follow football will know just how good he is.

I can see that. I think a missed point here is that people neglect to recognize that Arthur Brown doesn't celebrate. Like last night he got right up and got back to work. What's important to recognize here is that this is the way the league is trending. It's evidenced by the recent rule changes.

Brown's a great player and your point about Smith might be very accurate. I meant more in terms of a comparison for Arthur Brown being like Ed Reed a quiet by effective leader whereas Elam is more like a vocal Ray Lewis.

Brown is tremendously fast and, once the game slows down for him and he gets comfortable in the scheme, he can be really disruptive. He's not as strong as Ray Lewis, he'll get washed during run plays, but he can compensate by working around blockers and finding gaps - like he did against the Falcons.

Sometimes he just seemed like he had energy to burn and was flying around without making an impact.

Yeah. This is a good assessment on Brown. He needs to get stronger because he had some difficulty with the guards from what I saw

Yeah. This is a good assessment on Brown. He needs to get stronger because he had some difficulty with the guards from what I saw

That is the reason why I don't think he will start this year. Since Daryl Smith looks like a stud we need someone who can take on blocks for him. Bynes fits that role. Brown should come in on passing downs and eventually be a every down player.

I think he'd be great on delayed blitzes. Let the interior linemen get involved with the DL and Brown comes flying in and has to deal with, at most, a blocking back. He's so fast that most QBs would get sacked or get flustered and throw it away.

I can see that. I think a missed point here is that people neglect to recognize that Arthur Brown doesn't celebrate. Like last night he got right up and got back to work. What's important to recognize here is that this is the way the league is trending. It's evidenced by the recent rule changes.

Brown's a great player and your point about Smith might be very accurate. I meant more in terms of a comparison for Arthur Brown being like Ed Reed a quiet by effective leader whereas Elam is more like a vocal Ray Lewis.

Leadership wise, I definitely agree.  I don't see him as ever being the face of a franchise, but I do see him as a guy that will lead by example most of the time and will lead by voice only when necessary.

How many people were claiming Ray would be the face of a franchise his 1st year? That is something that is very hard to predict.

I think I'm getting a Elam jersey but concerned he will switch to 22 after we admit that Jimmy Smith is a bust  LOL   I've shelled out so much cash on jerseys I should just put my name on one.

Arthur Brown will be a future stud. He has all the makings of a future DPOTY. Such a beast.

Brown should already be playing over bynes. Even on run situations. I saw at least 2 plays where bynes was In on a run blitz and ran right by the back. Smith already is the better run stuffer and I think brown with his speed is a better player to play next to him to chase down the play from the backside. Also when brown disrupted the screen in the flats and cut through 3 blockers and gave the rest of the defense a chance to catch up to the play was prolly the best play so far on defense

I know you're talking about more of a leadership/personality type of thing here, but Brown actually reminds me a lot of a young Daryl Smith.  One of those silent guys that's going to go out there and do work.  I'm not sure he's ever going to get that recognition that he deserves, but true fans that follow football will know just how good he is.

daryl was/is a bit better at shedding blocks while brown is a bit faster then he was.

What a pair to watch, they will improve as will the entire Ravens team. Fun to watch them all play! Yes super bowl.

Any link or video of Elam smacking Steven Jackson ? I missed that part of the game

Go the the Videos section on this site and look for NFLN highlights of the game.

Matt Elam is a bad man.

After this season, when somebody makes a Matt Elam highlight video, it should be to this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPRkYWVinF0

LOL

What a pair to watch, they will improve as will the entire Ravens team. Fun to watch them all play! Yes super bowl.

Any link or video of Elam smacking Steven Jackson ? I missed that part of the game.

Go to the game highlights from NFL.com.. it's near the end and they even circled him as he's about to slam Jackson.

Go to the game highlights from NFL.com.. it's near the end and they even circled him as he's about to slam Jackson.

Thanks saw it, nice slam for elam.

Elam's ferocious tackle of Steven Jackson just really impressed me. Jackson obviously outweighs Elam by 30 lbs., yet Elam showed no hesitation. Definitely a play that stuck with me. Im excited about him.

Listening to Steve Bisciotti, he said there was some debate over whether we should have just drafted Arthur in the 1st. I was hoping we would at the time because I never thought he would last as long as he did. It turns out the gamble paid off and we got two studs!

Listening to Steve Bisciotti, he said there was some debate over whether we should have just drafted Arthur in the 1st. I was hoping we would at the time because I never thought he would last as long as he did. It turns out the gamble paid off and we got two studs!

Lol. Talk about having your cake and eating it, too.

I like the speed and ability of Arthur Brown but Elam was quiet and I want to see some good plays from  the free Safety I mean he is taking Ed Reed spot on this roster...

I like the speed and ability of Arthur Brown but Elam was quiet and I want to see some good plays from the free Safety I mean he is taking Ed Reed spot on this roster...

Elam is playing strong safety...

Elam is playing strong safety...

Well he has played both so far this preseason, but I agree that he is better suited to be more of a SS. In reality, I think both will be somewhat interchangeable. Elam has looked good when he has come up in run support.

Well he has played both so far this preseason, but I agree that he is better suited to be more of a SS. In reality, I think both will be somewhat interchangeable. Elam has looked good when he has come up in run support.

Yeah. Really just pointing it out lol.

I like the speed and ability of Arthur Brown but Elam was quiet and I want to see some good plays from the free Safety I mean he is taking Ed Reed spot on this roster...

Matt Elam had what 5 total tackles, a TFL, body slammed a massive RB, and you think he was quiet.

Matt Elam had what 5 total tackles, a TFL, body slammed a massive RB, and you think he was quiet.

The body slam alone was great. That's what I love to see in a DB.

The body slam alone was great. That's what I love to see in a DB.

Can somebody post a video clip because some us us missed it?

I like the speed and ability of Arthur Brown but Elam was quiet and I want to see some good plays from  the free Safety I mean he is taking Ed Reed spot on this roster...

Don't forget his hit on Peyton Hillis.. almost flipped that boy.. and that's a big boy.

When i saw some game tape from the Raiders for Mike Huff he does not impress me at all.  He has been kind of slow getting to the ball...

When i saw some game tape from the Raiders for Mike Huff he does not impress me at all.  He has been kind of slow getting to the ball...

he doenst have Reeds anticipation I don't know if any player will have it

but hes quick to recover when he realize the play. He can cover good deep ball but I wouldnt play lots of cover 1 with him as the  lone deep. hes a good player versitalie can play man to man and tackles very well. I think with our 3 safeties we won't have 1 playing in the box in the oter playing coverage... we can expect anything from our 3 safeties they will rotate, play shallow zone deep zone, man to man in the box blitz it'll be a fun season

Its a trade off to me, we might not see quite as many spalsh plays as we did with Reed but he can actually tackle.

He doesn't do a lot to catch your attention.  He just plays solidly boring.  If we don't notice him this year, it is probably because he's doing his job.  He won't be making Sportscenter, but he'll be fine.

How long until these guys start for us?  It appears as though the coaches will begin the season without a rookie in the starting lineup.  Will both of these guys break into the first team by year's end?  Who will get to start first?  Is there a possibility that other rookies might start at some point this year, too?  I mean, the genius that is Skip Bayless stated on one show that he believes we will have "four, maybe five, rookies starting" on our defense this season.  Can he possibly be wrong?

My thoughts are that I'm happy waiting to throw these guys into our starting lineup for a little while, but they are clearly our future and have amazing potential.  I believe we will see both Elam and Brown in our starting lineup this year (Elam first, then Brown), and I think there is a good chance Brandon Williams comes into next year's camp as a frontrunner to start, depending on how our Free Agency goes.

How long until these guys start for us?  It appears as though the coaches will begin the season without a rookie in the starting lineup.  Will both of these guys break into the first team by year's end?  Who will get to start first?  Is there a possibility that other rookies might start at some point this year, too?  I mean, the genius that is Skip Bayless stated on one show that he believes we will have "four, maybe five, rookies starting" on our defense this season.  Can he possibly be wrong?

My thoughts are that I'm happy waiting to throw these guys into our starting lineup for a little while, but they are clearly our future and have amazing potential.  I believe we will see both Elam and Brown in our starting lineup this year (Elam first, then Brown), and I think there is a good chance Brandon Williams comes into next year's camp as a frontrunner to start, depending on how our Free Agency goes.

This is exactly how I see it.  Neither will start right away, but both will eventually take over those roles as the season progresses. Elam will get the first opportunity.

I think Brown and Elam will play a major, major role on ST. I'd even add John Simon & Kyle Juszczyk to this discussion as well. I feel those four players play a major role on ST this year, and it's a reason why I feel like Anthony Allen could see himself cut. 

Just watched NFL insiders and Harbaugh said Elam was a special player and that we shouldn't expect him to be below Ihedigbo for very long.