8 replies to this topic

#1 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

As much as QB's get ALL of the praise if their respected team wins or all of the scrutiny if their team loses, the game is won an lost in the trenches. 

Say what you want but if you cannot pressure the opposing QB, it doesn't matter who the QB is, he'll have a field day. I'm REALLY excited that we got Canty, Spears & Doom. A dominant pass rusher in Doom and two run plugging hungry veterans in Canty and Spears. Our defense last year was plagued by injuries, yes, but for 3/4's of the season we made average running backs look like HOF backs and w/o Suggs and Ngata being injured, our pass rush was NON EXISTENT. Also excited about John Simon who reminds me of JJ(who I was sad to see leave, but it's a business) and Brandon Williams who looks like he can be another Geno Atkins if he lives up to his potential.

The offensive line last season was WILDLY inconsistent and I believe that's what led to Joe's inconsistencies(as well as Cam) in the regular season. The ONLY QB in the league that can perform well w/o an offensive line is Big Ben and even he can't last all season w/ the amount of hits that he takes. John Skelton and Kevin Kolb are no elite QB's by any stretch of the imagination but it's EXTREMELY hard to get the ball into the hands of a top 3 receiver in Fitzgerald when you're constantly throwing off of your back foot or running for your life. I attribute Fitz's sub par season more to his poor offensive line than the play of his QB's. If ANY NFL QB had the time they could get the ball into #11's hands but that was not the case in Arizona.

W/ all of that being said... WAYYY too much attention goes into QB play rather than up front w/ the big boys. In the trenches is REALLY where games are won and lost. I'm excited to see how our defensive front improves from last season and HOPING that our o-line can play consistently well this season.

bleed P U R P L E!

#2 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,444 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:50 PM

I was looking at depth charts earlier today and I'm really excited about our group of defensive lineman.

Canty, Ngata, Jones, Spears, Williams, Lewis-Moore and Cody have the potential to make a very solid rotation.

Two big "IF's"

- If Ngata comes back strong this year then we could have one of the top fronts in the NFL IMO.

- If McKinnie stays in shape and solidifies our line, then we have very good offensive line as well.

...Literally Big Ifs.

McKinnie is the only one who concerns me. Oher should do fine at RT and we have two all pro like guards --- Gino should greatly benefit being in the middle of those two. He looked good in that 1 game against the Bengals last season, but we need to see way more from him first. He's going to be someone that I'll be watching very closely during the preseason. I'm just not that concerned about plugging him in for some reason.....I'm also excited about the future as well, Ricky Wagner - I just have a nice feeling about.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#3 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

I was looking at depth charts earlier today and I'm really excited about our group of defensive lineman.

Canty, Ngata, Jones, Spears, Williams, Lewis-Moore and Cody have the potential to make a very solid rotation.

Two big "IF's"

- If Ngata comes back strong this year then we could have one of the top fronts in the NFL IMO.

- If McKinnie stays in shape and solidifies our line, then we have very good offensive line as well.

...Literally Big Ifs.

McKinnie is the only one who concerns me. Oher should do fine at RT and we have two all pro like guards --- Gino should greatly benefit being in the middle of those two. He looked good in that 1 game against the Bengals last season, but we need to see way more from him first. He's going to be someone that I'll be watching very closely during the preseason. I'm just not that concerned about plugging him in for some reason.....I'm also excited about the future as well, Ricky Wagner - I just have a nice feeling about.

Completely agreed... I'm very concerned about McKinnie. I feel like he's all talk. I'm hoping that he can prove me wrong

bleed P U R P L E!

#4 harfordravenfan

harfordravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

McKinnie's off to a great start, I've seen a couple videos of him working out, a lot of tweets, positive comments from coaches. All of which is an improvement over his past (don't do nothing prefootball)

As mentioned, if both stay healthy, we should have very good lines

#5 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:21 PM

Yeah, my man,  I am an advocate of classic football where games are won-and-lost up front. I believe our DL and OL are in good hands for 2013. I am a particularly big supporter of a strong OL to both run and pass well and control the clock.

#6 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,317 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

As much as QB's get ALL of the praise if their respected team wins or all of the scrutiny if their team loses, the game is won an lost in the trenches. 

Say what you want but if you cannot pressure the opposing QB, it doesn't matter who the QB is, he'll have a field day. I'm REALLY excited that we got Canty, Spears & Doom. A dominant pass rusher in Doom and two run plugging hungry veterans in Canty and Spears. Our defense last year was plagued by injuries, yes, but for 3/4's of the season we made average running backs look like HOF backs and w/o Suggs and Ngata being injured, our pass rush was NON EXISTENT. Also excited about John Simon who reminds me of JJ(who I was sad to see leave, but it's a business) and Brandon Williams who looks like he can be another Geno Atkins if he lives up to his potential.

The offensive line last season was WILDLY inconsistent and I believe that's what led to Joe's inconsistencies(as well as Cam) in the regular season. The ONLY QB in the league that can perform well w/o an offensive line is Big Ben and even he can't last all season w/ the amount of hits that he takes. John Skelton and Kevin Kolb are no elite QB's by any stretch of the imagination but it's EXTREMELY hard to get the ball into the hands of a top 3 receiver in Fitzgerald when you're constantly throwing off of your back foot or running for your life. I attribute Fitz's sub par season more to his poor offensive line than the play of his QB's. If ANY NFL QB had the time they could get the ball into #11's hands but that was not the case in Arizona.

W/ all of that being said... WAYYY too much attention goes into QB play rather than up front w/ the big boys. In the trenches is REALLY where games are won and lost. I'm excited to see how our defensive front improves from last season and HOPING that our o-line can play consistently well this season.

I agree 100%
This is part of the reason I think Brady is over rated.

Watch her play.  She has TONS of time.  Really she could take the snap, open a book and read a page or two before she ever has to throw the ball.
Dont get me wrong, Brady is excellent, but not top 5 in my opinion.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#7 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:02 PM

McKinnie's off to a great start, I've seen a couple videos of him working out, a lot of tweets, positive comments from coaches. All of which is an improvement over his past (don't do nothing prefootball)

As mentioned, if both stay healthy, we should have very good lines

That's the thing I've seen a lot of McKinnie in the off-season whether it was him working out, coaching praising his work thus far, or him saying he wants to be the best. ALL of it is talk, which I hope translates to the field for 16+ weeks

bleed P U R P L E!

#8 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, my man,  I am an advocate of classic football where games are won-and-lost up front. I believe our DL and OL are in good hands for 2013. I am a particularly big supporter of a strong OL to both run and pass well and control the clock.

Agreed, I completely forgot about the run game which is KEY in winning games. So much talk has been about the QB's lately I overlooked the ground game. Needless to say, if #30 can stay healthy this season our backfield will be SCARY.

bleed P U R P L E!

#9 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

I agree 100%

Watch her play.  She has TONS of time.  Really she could take the snap, open a book and read a page or two before she ever has to throw the ball.

I agree 100%

Haha I agree with you. So would you say are the top 10 QB's?

bleed P U R P L E!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users