Photo

Would competent QB play had given us more rings last decade?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 RedFire

RedFire

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

I think so. we were not perfect in all regards....but i think that would have gotten us at least one more ring before Flacco came on board. We saw Flacco his rookie season be somewhat competent and get us to the AFC championship game. 

But the point of this thread is:

Hold up...Kyle Boller ran a 4.61 40yrd dash?!??!........

I looked it up on google and it popped up. That's faster than Joe Flacco and Big Ben (scrambler).Also, that time is pretty close to Russell Wilson (4.55) and faster than Jay Cutler (4.77) who rolls outs!........

He could throw the ball 60yrds on one knee and run a solid 40yrd time for a QB.....but he was a sitting duck in the pocket?!?! I'm just finding out about the 40yrd time. Now i know he could have escaped some of the trouble he had if he had an ounce of pocket awareness and got plays for rollouts.  

yeah....still mad about Boller and those wasted yrs when we only needed a competent QB. Once we got a competent QB in McNair he could only throw the ball 20yrds cause of injury. 

Edited by RedFire, 14 July 2013 - 05:29 PM.

#2 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,744 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

Did you watch any games from 2003-2007 lol? Team easily could have won 2 rings in that window alone.

#3 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,564 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Yes.

#4 RedFire

RedFire

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

Did you watch any games from 2003-2007 lol? Team easily could have won 2 rings in that window alone.

the point was I didn't even notice the 40-time of boller cause he always looked slow and lost. 

Like...he had the speed measurable, which i didn't know about and he was still not effective.  I was born in the mid-80's so I seen every Ravens Game and CFL Stallions game, but I never knew Boller had some decent speed that he couldn't figure out how to use, haha. 

#5 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

the point was I didn't even notice the 40-time of boller cause he always looked slow and lost. 

Like...he had the speed measurable, which i didn't know about and he was still not effective.  I was born in the mid-80's so I seen every Ravens Game and CFL Stallions game, but I never knew Boller had some decent speed that he couldn't figure out how to use, haha. 

A decent arm and some brains would've been better.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#6 baltravens

baltravens

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

I think so. we were not perfect in all regards....but i think that would have gotten us at least one more ring before Flacco came on board. We saw Flacco his rookie season be somewhat competent and get us to the AFC championship game. 

I looked it up on google and it popped up. That's faster than Joe Flacco and Big Ben (scrambler).Also, that time is pretty close to Russell Wilson (4.55) and faster than Jay Cutler (4.77) who rolls outs!........

He could throw the ball 60yrds on one knee and run a solid 40yrd time for a QB.....but he was a sitting duck in the pocket?!?! I'm just finding out about the 40yrd time. Now i know he could have escaped some of the trouble he had if he had an ounce of pocket awareness and got plays for rollouts.  

yeah....still mad about Boller and those wasted yrs when we only needed a competed QB. Once we got a competent QB in McNair he could only throw the ball 20yrds cause of injury. 

Sure. We have ALL heard of Boller.

#7 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,276 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yea. Ifhthe offense even showed a pulse from 01-07 could have added at least 1 more ring. The teams only efficient players on offense were either ran into the ground or ineligible receivers (linemen). This is why the divison built between the offense and defense. People who like to compare our defenses always seem to forget to mention how inefficient the offense the defense was playing with might have been. If they could have done their part the numbers past defenses could have put up could have been all time great.

I remember watching many games where it felt I was watching the defense play offense.

Edited by redrum52, 14 July 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#8 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,336 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Is this even a question. I STILL can't believe we didn't win it all in 2006.

#9 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

I make it no secret I was and still am a Boller fan.

He had tons of potential that was never touched.
We saw rare moments here and there of a great QB which could have brought us those rings..
Had he strung enough of those few rare great moments together....

I don't know if it was coaching or lack thereof, or he was shell shocked from getting his clock cleaned ten thousand times. I dunno.
Just watch the Ravens vs. The undefeated Patriots game.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#10 beasy2487

beasy2487

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:22 PM

yeah....still mad about Boller and those wasted yrs when we only needed a competed QB. Once we got a competent QB in McNair he could only throw the ball 20yrds cause of injury. 

"Football is 80% mental, 40% physical." Boller just never had what it took upstairs.

#11 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

"Football is 80% mental, 40% physical." Boller just never had what it took upstairs.

If that is the whole story I blame coaching....

That said I dont think that is the WHOLE story.

Most of it though...

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#12 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,195 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

If that is the whole story I blame coaching....

That said I dont think that is the WHOLE story.
Most of it though...

True. We had terrible offensive coaches throughout that time, namely Cavanaugh and Fassell. Cameron was actually a gigantic upgrade. He got the offense to be average where it had been one of the worse in the league.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#13 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

I agree, we had a D that used to eat offenses for breakfast, easy 2 rings,

#14 RedFire

RedFire

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

I never knew Bolller's 40 time and was shocked....so i wanted to share my feelings  :229031_rant:

But you can't title a thread about Boller and keep it on "Ravens Talk" .... I pretty much wondered if I was the only one out of the loop about his secret speed that he never used, hahaha. 

it's pretty much a "no duh" title IMO. But the fact people brought up coaching being more to blame is an actual point of discussion. *ponders on that thought*

Edited by RedFire, 14 July 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#15 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

I think Billick wanted Boller to be everything Flacco is and Cam would have been better off coaching a game manager like Boller.

Boller had all the talent in the world he just couldn't handle being thrown to the wolves early in his career. I think he's very comparable to a Matt Schaub type QB. He would have worked so well in a play action heavy offense. But if you put the game in his hands, he'll make a few great plays followed by a few bone headed plays. Schuab is the same way imo.

I actually though the Pats 2007 game could have been a turning point in his career, but again that costly mistake showed up late i that game. I often wonder if the Ravens had won that game, would it ever had been a Harbaugh and Flacco era?

To answer the question, yes we could have won a couple Super Bowls. I think it was a bad mix of coaching and QB play.

mj5v69.jpg

#16 PurpleCorsair

PurpleCorsair

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Yea. Ifhthe offense even showed a pulse from 01-07 could have added at least 1 more ring. The teams only efficient players on offense were either ran into the ground or ineligible receivers (linemen). This is why the divison built between the offense and defense. People who like to compare our defenses always seem to forget to mention how inefficient the offense the defense was playing with might have been. If they could have done their part the numbers past defenses could have put up could have been all time great.

I remember watching many games where it felt I was watching the defense play offense.

Mason and Heap? McGahee? 

Granted Mason was 05 and McGahee was 07.

Edited by PurpleCorsair, 14 July 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#17 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,564 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

I think Billick wanted Boller to be everything Flacco is and Cam would have been better off coaching a game manager like Boller.

Boller had all the talent in the world he just couldn't handle being thrown to the wolves early in his career. I think he's very comparable to a Matt Schaub type QB. He would have worked so well in a play action heavy offense. But if you put the game in his hands, he'll make a few great plays followed by a few bone headed plays. Schuab is the same way imo.

I actually though the Pats 2007 game could have been a turning point in his career, but again that costly mistake showed up late i that game. I often wonder if the Ravens had won that game, would it ever had been a Harbaugh and Flacco era?

To answer the question, yes we could have won a couple Super Bowls. I think it was a bad mix of coaching and QB play.

I think coaching was what killed Boller's career and Billick's. In fact, I have a theory that if a player isn't developed properly within a certain window of time, that player's confidence is shot and they end up never realizing their potential. I might get some disagreement here and that's fine. I just think Boller could've been a great QB, but his problem was the organ between his ears and the coaching he received. I think Cameron could have done a good job with Boller, but I also think by the time Cameron had Boller it was too late.

#18 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Boller lacked poise
I remember in 2006 McNair and the ol were on a sack less streak then McNair got hurt for a play or so. Boller came in and basically sacked himself y tripping over his own feet. That to me defined boller. Think he had the measurables but just wasn't what joe is in terms of poise.

Like someone else here, I've never stopped being a boller fan. Always wanted to see him succeed and even tho I was happy getting McNair it felt like it came at a time when boller was just about to get it. He ended the 2005 campaign on a high note of sorts as 2 of the last 3 games were great games.

Anyways I'm more than happy with flacco and harbaugh and have to acknowledge that billick doing slightly better in 2007 means we may have missed out on flacco and harbs and what I view as a bright bright future

#19 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,783 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Boller was a weak-minded QB that could never slow the game down mentally. Boller had the physical attributes but lacked the ability to not freeze in key situations.

#20 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,942 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

I think coaching was what killed Boller's career and Billick's. In fact, I have a theory that if a player isn't developed properly within a certain window of time, that player's confidence is shot and they end up never realizing their potential. I might get some disagreement here and that's fine. I just think Boller could've been a great QB, but his problem was the organ between his ears and the coaching he received. I think Cameron could have done a good job with Boller, but I also think by the time Cameron had Boller it was too late.

this is exactly why the average NFL career is only 3.5 years. It is so important to allow guys to develop. Not to get off track, but that's why I think the time is right to allow the WRs to step up and take larger roles this year.

I agree that it was too late for Boller once Cam was able to work with him. I don't know if Boller would have ever been truly great, but he would have definitely been good enough to win a couple of Super Bowl which would have obviously made his career much better.

I know many people will disagree, but Boller was a lot like Aaron Rogers. All the talent in the world but need great coaching to refine a few things. Rogers was so fortunate to be able to sit behind Favre for 3 years and because just develop. This is exactly what Boller needed. Now i'm not saying he would have turned out as good a Rogers, but I think Billick and company could have definitely got more out of him.

mj5v69.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users