Photo

"Who Stays and Who Goes?" - Running Back Edition

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: "Who Stays and Who Goes?" - Running Back Edition (49 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Makes the Team at RB? -- Pick 3

1. Ray Rice (45 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

2. Bernard Pierce (46 votes [30.67%])

Percentage of vote: 30.67%

3. Anthony Allen (33 votes [22.00%])

Percentage of vote: 22.00%

4. Damien Berry (9 votes [6.00%])

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

5. Bobby Rainey (17 votes [11.33%])

Percentage of vote: 11.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

Next up in the countdown is Running Back.  Since we only have 1 FB on the roster as of now, I will include the position here.  To pick the number of RB's, I will go by the Ravens' standard once again.  In the case of Running Back, the number to pick will be 4.  So please, when picking the number of players, pick only three (Juszczyk assumed in the total of 4).  Remember that if you think an extra player will make it beyond the number I've picked, they will get an opportunity during the final vote, so don't pick that player here.

Without further ado, here are the candidates:

1.  Ray Rice (26):  Rice is an obvious choice here.  Regularly recognized as one of the best RB's in the game, Rice will be on this roster.  He holds value in his ability to run the ball effectively in addition to his pass catching prowess out of the backfield.  He'll likely be relied on more in the passing game this year with the loss of Boldin.

2.  Bernard Pierce (22): Pierce came on strong last year, and has likely pushed himself into receiving more carries this year.  He's a strong, powerful back that is a one cut and go type of guy.  He added 10 pounds this offseason, but word is that it hasn't affected his speed at all.  He's guaranteed a spot.

3.  Anthony Allen (24):  Allen isn't much in the way of a RB.  He helps based on his ST ability.  He's the lead blocker for Jacoby, and was an absolute animal in that role last year.  He offers a little in the running game, but offers tons as a STer.  He has the body size to play more of a FB/H-Back role, but it remains to be seen whether that happens.

4.  Damien Berry (24):  Berry is a powerful runner that also carries some speed.  I've seen numerous reports that he has very good hands out of the backfield as well.  Berry's way onto the team is through ST.  He's the better overall runner than Allen, but can he become a ST force and take over that spot?

5.  Bobby Rainey (25):  Rainey is a RB much like Rice, which may be a bad thing.  With Rice in front of him, he'll never play.  He stood out last year and earned a spot, but never played since he couldn't offer anything on ST.  He can do returns, but we have a lot of guys that can do that already.  He needs to truly stand out to earn a spot.

6.  Kyle Juszczyk - Fullback (22): Juszczyk is the one and only FB on the roster, so he has a spot.  He's incredibly versatile, as he can play FB, TE, and H-Back.  The Ravens were comfortable enough to cut Leach in favor of Juice.  He offers a new look on offense and will keep defenses on their toes due to his versaitility.

Edited by rmw10, 14 July 2013 - 01:44 PM.

2013 BR.COM CLEVELAND BROWNS GM

#2 5aiah

5aiah

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

This one is pretty wrapped up imo, although i would like to hear more on Berry and Rainey I highly doubt they make it. Allen is just too good on special teams and i think he will  see some time on short yardage situations as well. Thing is we need to have a better runner ready in case someone( more likely pierce) goes down. 

#3 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:49 AM

This is a great topic. Honestly I see this battle as the most difficult on the entire roster. I'm sure the depth of our RB corps has caused some RB to not want to sign here as UDFA. I know I wouldn't.

Really this topic is about guessing who fills our #3 RB job. Pierce, Rice and Juszczyk are all getting jobs. Unless one gets hurt I see no way this changes.

1. Bobby Rainey: his play is eerily similar to Ray Rice. Almost identical. That's not a bad thing because if we do use Ray more as a receiver we could have a use for Rainey. You want someone similar to your star back to keep consistency in the event of injury or rest. His weakness last year was ST. He showed good return ability and skills but he's very average elsewhere. To make the 53 he needs to show more than that. I think if he doesn't make the roster he's done. He's too old to stash and develop. He either makes it or he's gone.

2. Damien Berry: fast and a tough runner who can catch the ball. Pretty good ST player from what I recall. I know he can return. I wouldn't be surprised to see him win this battle. He's also young.

3. Anthony Allen: cut last year and later re-signed he proved his worth as an elite ST player as far as JJ was concerned. He's our best RB on ST right now. His weakness seems to be concentration and running hard. He may have truly benefited from the triple option at GT as was speculated. I like him better as a FB.

This is a real tough battle for RB 3. This is more guesswork than anything. I will say Rainey makes the roster. Now here's my reasoning:

Rainey is the most like Ray Rice of any RB on this team. I think Rice will be used as more of a receiving threat than before. If Ray gets injured then Rainey is invaluable because he can play the Ray Rice role. He also offers us a role as a returner. I know we have many potential return men but having options never hurts because if JJ gets hurt or becomes our #2 WR he won't see as many returns as before.

I wanted to go with Damien Berry but I think he will see the PS again. I think Allen is cut. It's between Berry and Rainey for me. It's whoever is the most complete player.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 14 July 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#4 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

This is a real tough battle for RB 3. This is more guesswork than anything. I will say Rainey makes the roster. Now here's my reasoning:

Rainey is the most like Ray Rice of any RB on this team. I think Rice will be used as more of a receiving threat than before. If Ray gets injured then Rainey is invaluable because he can play the Ray Rice role. He also offers us a role as a returner. I know we have many potential return men but having options never hurts because if JJ gets hurt or becomes our #2 WR he won't see as many returns as before.

I wanted to go with Damien Berry but I think he will see the PS again. I think Allen is cut. It's between Berry and Rainey for me. It's whoever is the most complete player.

Just my opinion here.  I think it's very difficult to justify keeping a roster spot for a guy based on an if situation.  Both Allen and Berry are most likely able to contribute in some facet of the game immediately.  Rainey will contribute if something goes wrong and he needs to step in.  The Ravens have always been a team that uses all 53 spots.  I just can't see them keeping a spot for a guy that likely won't play when there are 2 other players that can/will.

#5 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Just my opinion here.  I think it's very difficult to justify keeping a roster spot for a guy based on an if situation.  Both Allen and Berry are most likely able to contribute in some facet of the game immediately.  Rainey will contribute if something goes wrong and he needs to step in.  The Ravens have always been a team that uses all 53 spots.  I just can't see them keeping a spot for a guy that likely won't play when there are 2 other players that can/will.

Rainey wouldn't be kept around as an "if", but that would just be another quality that would add to the list of reasons to keep him. Whoever the third RB is will need to be a contributor on ST. Quite frankly, if Rainey doesn't improve there he's gone--no question in my mind. I actually like Damien Berry's chances, however. I really do. Between Allen & Berry, I think Berry can surprise some people and beat out Allen because of how he plays as a RB, he can receive the ball, and he is a good player on ST. I think he's the most well-rounded of our RBs fighting for that 3rd spot. 

#6 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Rainey wouldn't be kept around as an "if", but that would just be another quality that would add to the list of reasons to keep him. Whoever the third RB is will need to be a contributor on ST. Quite frankly, if Rainey doesn't improve there he's gone--no question in my mind. I actually like Damien Berry's chances, however. I really do. Between Allen & Berry, I think Berry can surprise some people and beat out Allen because of how he plays as a RB, he can receive the ball, and he is a good player on ST. I think he's the most well-rounded of our RBs fighting for that 3rd spot. 

And that's precisely why I don't think Rainey makes it... he can't contribute on ST other than returns.  His frame doesn't lend to being able to tackle or block.  I just see guys like Jones, Thompson, Reed, Jackson, Doss, etc. that are all able to do kick and/or punt returns and I can't justify keeping Rainey.  I'm just not sure it's worth taking up a spot on the 53 for a likely weekly inactive that doesn't have too much of a future, considering what we have in front of him.

#7 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,502 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

In other words, which of our quality backs is going to be made available to our competition? It's a depressing thought.
10wmids.jpg

#8 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

And that's precisely why I don't think Rainey makes it... he can't contribute on ST other than returns. His frame doesn't lend to being able to tackle or block. I just see guys like Jones, Thompson, Reed, Jackson, Doss, etc. that are all able to do kick and/or punt returns and I can't justify keeping Rainey. I'm just not sure it's worth taking up a spot on the 53 for a likely weekly inactive that doesn't have too much of a future, considering what we have in front of him.

Yeah. I don't disagree with that thought process. I said in my post it was tough and I can see it go either way. I think Berry has a really good shot at being the 3rd back. I actually like his chances quite a bit. I will say I think you're writing Rainey off a bit too prematurely. While he doesn't look like he'll improve on ST that remains to be seen. He could have improved. I'm going with the notion that he has. If he hasn't then my vote goes unequivocally to Berry. It does depend. Allen might surprise us and look like a beast.

I'm really excited about this battle. I like all three of these guys. This is a tough one. Allen is the best by far on ST. If Kyle doesn't impress there I can see the Ravens keeping Allen especially if the others struggle on ST

#9 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:42 PM

I edited the poll and removed Juszczyk.  We seem to have a lot of extra votes, since I think people have been voting 4 RB's in addition to Juice.  If you picked 4, please go back and edit your picks and choose only 3.  If you think 4 will make it, that opportunity comes at a later time.  Do not pick 4 right now.

#10 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:43 PM

In other words, which of our quality backs is going to be made available to our competition? It's a depressing thought.

Haha true that. I think Rainey is 50/50. I don't think he'll be stashed or go on n PS. I think he's in or out.

#11 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

Yeah. I don't disagree with that thought process. I said in my post it was tough and I can see it go either way. I think Berry has a really good shot at being the 3rd back. I actually like his chances quite a bit. I will say I think you're writing Rainey off a bit too prematurely. While he doesn't look like he'll improve on ST that remains to be seen. He could have improved. I'm going with the notion that he has. If he hasn't then my vote goes unequivocally to Berry. It does depend. Allen might surprise us and look like a beast.

I'm really excited about this battle. I like all three of these guys. This is a tough one. Allen is the best by far on ST. If Kyle doesn't impress there I can see the Ravens keeping Allen especially if the others struggle on ST

I'm not trying to write Rainey off.  I really like the kid, and I would be happy to have him on the roster if he proves that he's worthy.  I just don't think it's possible for him to improve on ST since his success there is directly related to his size.  Guys that are short, stocky, and elusive aren't the guys you want playing ST.  He can't tackle or block.  He's not fast enough to be a gunner.  He just doesn't seem to fit unless he really proves his worth as a runner or pass catcher.

#12 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

I think the presence of Juice will make it even harder for a #3 RB to contribute to this team and wouldn't at all be surprised if Leach is brought back for cheap and Juice is basically the #3RB. However just going off of what we currently have, I think Allen has to have the edge for the 3rd RB position right now. He played really well on ST last year and earned his roster spot. However that was last year and while he probably has the edge, nothing is guaranteed.

I think he'll be pushed really hard by Damien Berry and the closer to camp we get I feel he'll be the 3rd RB. I don't really know what it is, it's just a feeling. I know when I went out to Owings Mills last year to watch Training Camp i was impressed with both Pierce and Berry the most. Allen was a disappointment to me, but as I said during the season he made up.

If I were making the final decision I would want a guy who I felt could be a dependable starter should the need arise. A guy I could feel cofident in giving 10-15 carries a game maybe even as a backup. A guy who fits what our offense will look like going forward. To me that's Damien Berry. The guy has the power and strength to how the power running game, but also has the shiftiness and speed to handle the one cut and go zone type offense we use. We already know who 1 and 2 are, so I expect to see Ray Rice get about 10 preseason carries and BP gets like 15-20. The rest of the load will go to the young guys and see who can win that number #3 job.

How great is it to have a hard fought battle for your #3 RB position? This team is really young, deep and talented.

Posted Image

#13 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,175 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Rice and Pierce are locks so this all comes down to the 3rd spot.

As much as I like Rainey last preseason, I think this spot goes to Allen.  He proved to be very valuable on special teams as a lead blocker for Jacoby on kick returns.  

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

You no longer make a million posts a minute. You make a million trades a minute now....

Jacksonville Jaguars GM

Twitter

#14 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

I think the presence of Juice will make it even harder for a #3 RB to contribute to this team and wouldn't at all be surprised if Leach is brought back for cheap and Juice is basically the #3RB. However just going off of what we currently have, I think Allen has to have the edge for the 3rd RB position right now. He played really well on ST last year and earned his roster spot. However that was last year and while he probably has the edge, nothing is guaranteed.

I think he'll be pushed really hard by Damien Berry and the closer to camp we get I feel he'll be the 3rd RB. I don't really know what it is, it's just a feeling. I know when I went out to Owings Mills last year to watch Training Camp i was impressed with both Pierce and Berry the most. Allen was a disappointment to me, but as I said during the season he made up.

If I were making the final decision I would want a guy who I felt could be a dependable starter should the need arise. A guy I could feel cofident in giving 10-15 carries a game maybe even as a backup. A guy who fits what our offense will look like going forward. To me that's Damien Berry. The guy has the power and strength to how the power running game, but also has the shiftiness and speed to handle the one cut and go zone type offense we use. We already know who 1 and 2 are, so I expect to see Ray Rice get about 10 preseason carries and BP gets like 15-20. The rest of the load will go to the young guys and see who can win that number #3 job.

How great is it to have a hard fought battle for your #3 RB position? This team is really young, deep and talented.

Yeah I agree with you here. The more I think about it the more I want to say Berry gets the job. As I said I feel it's close between all three. Berry might just have something special.

#15 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,305 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

I disagree with Rainey's similarity to Rice being a bad thing. We already have Bernard Pierce to come in and provide an alternative running style to Rice's. I think it could be beneficial to have a RB who can come in and provide exactly what Rice can, whenever Rice needs a breather. Plus, RBs who are weapons as both rushers and receivers are quite valuable. I really like Rainey as the 3rd RB.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

-Detroit Lions GM-

#16 CARavensFan

CARavensFan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

I disagree with Rainey's similarity to Rice being a bad thing. We already have Bernard Pierce to come in and provide an alternative running style to Rice's. I think it could be beneficial to have a RB who can come in and provide exactly what Rice can, whenever Rice needs a breather. Plus, RBs who are weapons as both rushers and receivers are quite valuable. I really like Rainey as the 3rd RB.

While I agree, Rainey's skill set makes him valuable, he doesn't have the size to play role on ST beyond returner which we have locked up.

I think Allen gets the nod over Rainey because he is a better blocker on ST.

In Ozzie I Trust!

Ec4fmT1375468968.gif

BRcom-Error.jpg

oops!! lol

#17 ravensdan

ravensdan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think Allen stays for sure and can be more of a McClain style full back with some short yardage running ability as well. Especially with leach gone. I believe berry makes it as an extra back. He's too good all around.

2014 BR.COM Forum Franchise Draft

NY Giants

Round 1: Zack Martin(OT/G), Notre Dame  Round 2:  Demarcus Lawrence(DE), Boise St.  Round 4:  Preston Brown(LB), Louisville.  Round 4:  Devonta Freeman(RB), Florida St. Round 4:  Devin Street(Wr), Pitt.  Round 5:  Aaron Murray

#18 CARavensFan

CARavensFan

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:25 PM

I think Allen stays for sure and can be more of a McClain style full back with some short yardage running ability as well. Especially with leach gone. I believe berry makes it as an extra back. He's too good all around.

That would give us four RBs plus Juice at FB,
If we keep 3 TEs (Dickson, Pitta, Furstenberg/Bajema) that would be a lot.

In Ozzie I Trust!

Ec4fmT1375468968.gif

BRcom-Error.jpg

oops!! lol

#19 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

After training camp we will c how good berry and rainy r really r.

#20 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,742 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

After training camp we will c how good berry and rainy r really r.

That's true. I'll put it this way: I think if all things are even, and it's a tight race, I see Allen getting the job. His value on ST is pretty huge. If Berry or Rainey beat him (and it's entirely possible) then I believe it's because Allen didn't offer enough outside of ST and those other two gained ground on him in that area. If it's between Berry & Rainey & the coaches believe it's tight enough, I think Rainey will get the nod because he can also back-up Ray but that would also mean he impressed on ST, which he didn't last year. 

So, this is one of the tightest position battles on the entire team. I think it's tighter than any spot at CB or WR. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users