Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

"Who Stays and Who Goes?" - Wide Receiver Edition

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

Poll: "Who Stays and Who Goes?" - Wide Receiver Edition (102 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Makes the Team at WR

1. Voted Torrey Smith (102 votes [16.53%])

Percentage of vote: 16.53%

2. Voted Jacoby Jones (102 votes [16.53%])

Percentage of vote: 16.53%

3. Voted Tandon Doss (89 votes [14.42%])

Percentage of vote: 14.42%

4. Voted Deonte Thompson (94 votes [15.24%])

Percentage of vote: 15.24%

5. Voted David Reed (53 votes [8.59%])

Percentage of vote: 8.59%

6. LaQuan Williams (45 votes [7.29%])

Percentage of vote: 7.29%

7. Voted Tommy Streeter (61 votes [9.89%])

Percentage of vote: 9.89%

8. Aaron Mellette (53 votes [8.59%])

Percentage of vote: 8.59%

9. Marlon Brown (18 votes [2.92%])

Percentage of vote: 2.92%

10. Rashaad Carter (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. Gerrard Sheppard (0 votes [0.00%])

12. Marcus Rivers (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Starting with this week, I will be back to each position's rundown taking place on Sunday.  For now, here's the big one: wide receiver.  To pick the number of WR's, I will go by the Ravens standard once again, which is six.  For the poll, please choose only six wide receivers that you think will make the team.

Here are the choices:

1.  Torrey Smith (24):  Torrey is clearly our best WR.  He really broke out last year, and still has plenty of room to grow into a potential game-changing, superstar.  His speed alone makes him incredibly dangerous, and as he learns to use his hands better, he will only improve.  He's guaranteed.

2.  Jacoby Jones (28): Jacoby is an all-pro returner that was also able to give us some big plays at the WR position last year.  He'll likely be relied on more at WR this year, but may end up being the number 3 again if any of the following step up.  He's another guarantee.

3.  Tandon Doss (23):  Doss is a receiver known for his hands.  He had a rough game against Indy, but it hasn't been indicative of what has been shown from his this offseason.  Doss has apparently been the best of the bunch, making plenty of tough catches over the middle.  He hasn't truly "impressed" yet, though.  He's in battle for the WR spot anywhere from 2-4.

4.  Deonte Thompson (24):  DT is the fan favorite here.  People want him because of his speed, although his hands are still a work in progress.  Being very similar to Torrey and Jacoby may hold him back from being a starter, but he has so much potential that he'll make the team no problem.  He's still in competition for spots 2-4.

5.  David Reed (26):  Reed has played very well in OTAs.  He fits the mold of the slot receiver that we're missing.  With Cam gone, Reed was used correctly and actually played very well.  He doubles as a ST standout as a gunner and returner, which only increases his odds of making the team.

6.  LaQuan Williams (25):  LaQuan is another fan favorite that just doesn't seem to have a spot.  He's been given many opportunities, but has yet to seize any of them.  Being placed on IR showed his standing within the organization last year.  Word is that he has been generally unimpressive in OTAs, and may be cut this year.

7.  Tommy Streeter (23):  Streeter is incredibly raw, but has enormous potential.  You can't teach the size and speed combo that he has.  With that being said, his hands and route running are still a work in progress.  He offers a completely different look on offense, and for that reason, he has a strong chance to make the squad.

8.  Aaron Mellette (23):  Mellette is a guy much in the mold of Boldin.  He's big, physical, and not afraid to go over the middle.  While he's impressed at times in OTAs, he's also looked very overmatched as well.  Sometimes his hands show up and other times they don't.  ST is his key to the team at this point.

9.  Marlon Brown (22):  Brown is a big guy at 6'4 coming out of Georgia.  He recently suffered a torn ACL, so he may be a stash.  However, he may still be able to come back from the injury, which is why he's still placed here.  If he does make it back to practice, ST is the only way he has a chance to make the team this year.

10.  Rashaad Carter (23):  Carter is a WR out of small school Tusculum.  He's been the standout out of the UDFA's that are in camp.  He's shown good speed, quality hands, and a willingness to play ST.  While he's a long shot to make the team, he may be a prime practice squad candidate.

11.  Gerrard Sheppard (22):  Sheppard is a local product out of Towson.  He probably doesn't have much of a chance to make the team.  He has average speed and average hands.  He's likely just a camp body.

12.  Marcus Rivers (23):  Rivers had a stint with GB, but was cut, which doesn't bode too well considering they're a WR factory.  He's a big guy at 6'5, but doesn't have the speed, hands, or physicality to put that body to use.  He's another likely camp body.

Edited by rmw10, 30 July 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#2 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

I'm not sure if you voted but whoever voted did the exact same way as I did lol.

I voted in Smith, Jones, Doss, Thompson, Reed and Streeter. I think Mellette goes on IR and Williams is either gone or on the PS. I'm not sure if he's eligible. I think those 6 give us the most versatility of the group.

I see the team trying to keep JJ fresh so they'll probably try to rotate him with DT and Reed as a KR and spell him with Ajax at PR. I see JJ and DT playing WO opposite of Torrey with Streeter pkaying a role in the redzone. I see Doss and Reed playing the slot a lot as well. Torrey will be our #1.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 07 July 2013 - 10:24 AM.

#3 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

I'm not sure if you voted but whoever voted did the exact same way as I did lol.

I voted in Smith, Jones, Doss, Thompson, Reed and Streeter. I think Mellette goes on IR and Williams is either gone or on the PS. I'm not sure if he's eligible. I think those 6 give us the most versatility of the group.

I see the team trying to keep JJ fresh so they'll probably try to rotate him with DT and Reed as a KR and spell him with Ajax at PR. I see JJ and DT playing WO opposite of Torrey with Streeter pkaying a role in the redzone. I see Doss and Reed playing the slot a lot as well. Torrey will be our #1.

I actually put in my vote first, so yes, we picked the same guys.  It's fairly obvious that Torrey, Jacoby, Doss, and DT are pretty much locks.  Then, I picked Streeter because of his potential and what he can offer that no one else can.  I picked Reed because he offers so many different things out of one player.  I like LaQuan and Mellette, but don't think they offer anything more than the 6 I picked.  Obviously it's still early and Mellette or LaQuan could shine in TC, but as of now, that's how I see it.

#4 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

I actually put in my vote first, so yes, we picked the same guys. It's fairly obvious that Torrey, Jacoby, Doss, and DT are pretty much locks. Then, I picked Streeter because of his potential and what he can offer that no one else can. I picked Reed because he offers so many different things out of one player. I like LaQuan and Mellette, but don't think they offer anything more than the 6 I picked. Obviously it's still early and Mellette or LaQuan could shine in TC, but as of now, that's how I see it.

I wasn't implying you voted the way I did. I was more or less implying we voted the same lol. Sorry if it came across differently.

I agree with all your rationale. I wouldn't be surprised if Mellette won the job over another one of those guys but I think it's more likely he's on IR.

#5 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

I wasn't implying you voted the way I did. I was more or less implying we voted the same lol. Sorry if it came across differently.

I agree with all your rationale. I wouldn't be surprised if Mellette won the job over another one of those guys but I think it's more likely he's on IR.

Oh not at all.  I was just giving my rationale as well!

#6 Mt. Crushmore

Mt. Crushmore

Crush Knows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,175 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:01 AM

Torrey Smith

Jacoby Jones

Tandon Doss

Deonte Thompson

David Reed

Tommy Streeter

Reed makes it on special teams ability as he is very good and underrated there.  He also flashed some WR skills late last season.  Mellette will get stashed on IR like Streeter did last year.  La'Quan unfortunately hasn't shown enough ability in my mind.

Mt. Crushmore always makes about a million posts in a minute.

I'd like to introduce myself. Mt. Crushmore, Correction Officer.

Twitter

#7 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Torrey Smith
Jacoby Jones
Tandon Doss
Deonte Thompson
David Reed
Tommy Streeter

Reed makes it on special teams ability as he is very good and underrated there. He also flashed some WR skills late last season. Mellette will get stashed on IR like Streeter did last year. La'Quan unfortunately hasn't shown enough ability in my mind.

Is Q eligible for the PS?

#8 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Is Q eligible for the PS?

Nope.  He can only make the team, be cut, or spend the year on IR.

#9 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Nope. He can only make the team, be cut, or spend the year on IR.

He better be training like he's never trained before or he might be a NYJ.

#10 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:19 PM

Great job on the write up of the guys. You basically nailed everyone in my view. Smith, Reed, JJ, Doss, DT and Streeter are my picks.

Smith will improve on being the #1 WR with more diverse game planing. Work him short to intermediate and let that set up the deep ball.

JJ will have much more of a role then he did last year. Obviously I think he'll get a few more attempts, but I think his greatest asset is his return ability and he'll help us in that area much more then WR imo.

Reed has the potential to be a really good slot guy, but can also line up outside. A mix between Hines Ward and Derrick Mason but more explosive. So many people wanna find the next Boldin, but what if we have a DMase clone, wouldn't the offense benefit just as much?

Doss is another guys that can line up inside or out, but I think you maximize what he brings by lining him up inside. I wanna see what he can do being 100%. This is his first healthy offseason and that will be most important for him going forward.

DT is a guy I think might end up being our Jacoby Jones of the future honestly. A really good returner and big play waiting to happen on offense. I want to see the guy take all the buzz and turn it into a strong camp.

Streeter's size and speed is his ticket. If he makes the team I expect to see him get a few redzone opportunities. As a #6 WR you would like to see that guy play ST, but every other WR not named Smith plays ST, so that might not be a big concern with Tommy.

Mellette is exactly what you'd expect from a 7th round pick. Talented but still raw. I love his attitude as a young guy coming in to compete, now I wanna see his play back it up.

mj5v69.jpg

#11 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,061 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Torrey Smith
Jacoby Jones
Tandon Doss
Deonte Thompson
David Reed
Tommy Streeter

Reed makes it on special teams ability as he is very good and underrated there. He also flashed some WR skills late last season. Mellette will get stashed on IR like Streeter did last year. La'Quan unfortunately hasn't shown enough ability in my mind.

I'll echo this sentiment. There is a chance Mellette makes the team either as a 7th WR it maybe he beats out Reed or Streeter, but I think he ends up landing on the IR or PS.

Blitz every down! It's the only way to win!

#12 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks RF23, since I don't want to quote your behemoth of a post.

And just as a side note... Isn't it crazy the number of WR's we have in camp?  I understand the whole competition thing, but 13 is a lot to have, especially with only 3 QB's to move the ball around.  I was just glancing at the roster and it seems interesting that we have 13 WR's when we don't have the camp body type guys at RB, CB, and ST.

#13 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,005 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

And just as a side note... Isn't it crazy the number of WR's we have in camp?  I understand the whole competition thing, but 13 is a lot to have, especially with only 3 QB's to move the ball around.  I was just glancing at the roster and it seems interesting that we have 13 WR's when we don't have the camp body type guys at RB, CB, and ST.

WR is one of the more physically demanding positions. So 13 isn't a really high number when you consider 90 guys are in camp. You can get by with 5 RBs because it's only one position. If one of those guys get a nick, he can be replaced without hiccup. However if you get 1 or 2 WRs get a tight hammy, you need bodies to throw in there.

There is a good among of CBs and you have to count the Safeties with them, so it's a pretty good amount of DBs currently on the team. It's 13 WRs and 15 DBs so that's a good blend.

mj5v69.jpg

#14 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

WR is one of the more physically demanding positions. So 13 isn't a really high number when you consider 90 guys are in camp. You can get by with 5 RBs because it's only one position. If one of those guys get a nick, he can be replaced without hiccup. However if you get 1 or 2 WRs get a tight hammy, you need bodies to throw in there.

There is a good among of CBs and you have to count the Safeties with them, so it's a pretty good amount of DBs currently on the team. It's 13 WRs and 15 DBs so that's a good blend.

I don't want to quote your massive post so I'll quote you here lol: I agree 100% regarding the JJ-DT comparison. I think DT will be the one to replace JJ if he can show it on the field on ST as a returner. Otherwise I won't be surprised if David Reed is our returner even for a year.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 07 July 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#15 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'll echo this sentiment. There is a chance Mellette makes the team either as a 7th WR it maybe he beats out Reed or Streeter, but I think he ends up landing on the IR or PS.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mellette make the team. I think he has a good chance. I'm just not sure we'll carry 7WR. It's certainly possible but I think we'll carry more TE if we want to go that route. Since Dickson looks like he'll play a bigger role as a receiver I wouldn't be surprised to see 4TE on the roster.

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

And just as a side note... Isn't it crazy the number of WR's we have in camp? I understand the whole competition thing, but 13 is a lot to have, especially with only 3 QB's to move the ball around. I was just glancing at the roster and it seems interesting that we have 13 WR's when we don't have the camp body type guys at RB, CB, and ST.

Could I make a request for these future topics? Could you include their ages? I think it would be a nice addition because you can't really stash an old UDFA or stay pick for multiple years. You know what I'm saying?

#17 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:05 PM

Could I make a request for these future topics? Could you include their ages? I think it would be a nice addition because you can't really stash an old UDFA or stay pick for multiple years. You know what I'm saying?

Absolutely.  I'll go ahead and edit what I already have as well.

And for everyone else, if there is anything you think that can be done to improve these threads, feel free to let me know.

#18 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:20 PM

Absolutely. I'll go ahead and edit what I already have as well.

And for everyone else, if there is anything you think that can be done to improve these threads, feel free to let me know.

Thanks. I keep forgetting that sort of these guys are as "old" as they are. I'm very happy with the age of Torrey.

Also over been thinking: do you think it's possible Marlon might go on the PUP? I've been thinking about Doss and Reed. They both have issues with injuries. It might be wiser to bet prepared for this kind of thing.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 07 July 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#19 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,019 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

I have Torrey,Jones,Thompson,Williams,Doss,Streeter & Mellete.

It's by far going to be the funnest TC competition we'll see this year.

#20 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have Torrey,Jones,Thompson,Williams,Doss,Streeter & Mellete.

It's by far going to be the funnest TC competition we'll see this year.

So you say we carry 7WR with David Reed gone? You think Williams makes it on ST and durability? I'm not disagreeing. I just want to hear or rather read your thought process here.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 07 July 2013 - 05:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users