Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rmw10

"Who Stays and Who Goes?" - Wide Receiver Edition

617 votes

1. 1. Who Makes the Team at WR

• Torrey Smith
    • Jacoby Jones
    • Tandon Doss
    • Deonte Thompson
    • David Reed
    • LaQuan Williams
    • Tommy Streeter
    • Aaron Mellette
    • Marlon Brown
    • Rashaad Carter
    • Gerrard Sheppard
    • Marcus Rivers

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

173 posts in this topic

Starting with this week, I will be back to each position's rundown taking place on Sunday.  For now, here's the big one: wide receiver.  To pick the number of WR's, I will go by the Ravens standard once again, which is six.  For the poll, please choose only six wide receivers that you think will make the team.

Here are the choices:

1.  Torrey Smith (24):  Torrey is clearly our best WR.  He really broke out last year, and still has plenty of room to grow into a potential game-changing, superstar.  His speed alone makes him incredibly dangerous, and as he learns to use his hands better, he will only improve.  He's guaranteed.

2.  Jacoby Jones (28): Jacoby is an all-pro returner that was also able to give us some big plays at the WR position last year.  He'll likely be relied on more at WR this year, but may end up being the number 3 again if any of the following step up.  He's another guarantee.

3.  Tandon Doss (23):  Doss is a receiver known for his hands.  He had a rough game against Indy, but it hasn't been indicative of what has been shown from his this offseason.  Doss has apparently been the best of the bunch, making plenty of tough catches over the middle.  He hasn't truly "impressed" yet, though.  He's in battle for the WR spot anywhere from 2-4.

4.  Deonte Thompson (24):  DT is the fan favorite here.  People want him because of his speed, although his hands are still a work in progress.  Being very similar to Torrey and Jacoby may hold him back from being a starter, but he has so much potential that he'll make the team no problem.  He's still in competition for spots 2-4.

5.  David Reed (26):  Reed has played very well in OTAs.  He fits the mold of the slot receiver that we're missing.  With Cam gone, Reed was used correctly and actually played very well.  He doubles as a ST standout as a gunner and returner, which only increases his odds of making the team.

6.  LaQuan Williams (25):  LaQuan is another fan favorite that just doesn't seem to have a spot.  He's been given many opportunities, but has yet to seize any of them.  Being placed on IR showed his standing within the organization last year.  Word is that he has been generally unimpressive in OTAs, and may be cut this year.

7.  Tommy Streeter (23):  Streeter is incredibly raw, but has enormous potential.  You can't teach the size and speed combo that he has.  With that being said, his hands and route running are still a work in progress.  He offers a completely different look on offense, and for that reason, he has a strong chance to make the squad.

8.  Aaron Mellette (23):  Mellette is a guy much in the mold of Boldin.  He's big, physical, and not afraid to go over the middle.  While he's impressed at times in OTAs, he's also looked very overmatched as well.  Sometimes his hands show up and other times they don't.  ST is his key to the team at this point.

9.  Marlon Brown (22):  Brown is a big guy at 6'4 coming out of Georgia.  He recently suffered a torn ACL, so he may be a stash.  However, he may still be able to come back from the injury, which is why he's still placed here.  If he does make it back to practice, ST is the only way he has a chance to make the team this year.

10.  Rashaad Carter (23):  Carter is a WR out of small school Tusculum.  He's been the standout out of the UDFA's that are in camp.  He's shown good speed, quality hands, and a willingness to play ST.  While he's a long shot to make the team, he may be a prime practice squad candidate.

11.  Gerrard Sheppard (22):  Sheppard is a local product out of Towson.  He probably doesn't have much of a chance to make the team.  He has average speed and average hands.  He's likely just a camp body.

12.  Marcus Rivers (23):  Rivers had a stint with GB, but was cut, which doesn't bode too well considering they're a WR factory.  He's a big guy at 6'5, but doesn't have the speed, hands, or physicality to put that body to use.  He's another likely camp body.

I'm not sure if you voted but whoever voted did the exact same way as I did lol.

I voted in Smith, Jones, Doss, Thompson, Reed and Streeter. I think Mellette goes on IR and Williams is either gone or on the PS. I'm not sure if he's eligible. I think those 6 give us the most versatility of the group.

I see the team trying to keep JJ fresh so they'll probably try to rotate him with DT and Reed as a KR and spell him with Ajax at PR. I see JJ and DT playing WO opposite of Torrey with Streeter pkaying a role in the redzone. I see Doss and Reed playing the slot a lot as well. Torrey will be our #1.

I'm not sure if you voted but whoever voted did the exact same way as I did lol.

I voted in Smith, Jones, Doss, Thompson, Reed and Streeter. I think Mellette goes on IR and Williams is either gone or on the PS. I'm not sure if he's eligible. I think those 6 give us the most versatility of the group.

I see the team trying to keep JJ fresh so they'll probably try to rotate him with DT and Reed as a KR and spell him with Ajax at PR. I see JJ and DT playing WO opposite of Torrey with Streeter pkaying a role in the redzone. I see Doss and Reed playing the slot a lot as well. Torrey will be our #1.

I actually put in my vote first, so yes, we picked the same guys.  It's fairly obvious that Torrey, Jacoby, Doss, and DT are pretty much locks.  Then, I picked Streeter because of his potential and what he can offer that no one else can.  I picked Reed because he offers so many different things out of one player.  I like LaQuan and Mellette, but don't think they offer anything more than the 6 I picked.  Obviously it's still early and Mellette or LaQuan could shine in TC, but as of now, that's how I see it.

I actually put in my vote first, so yes, we picked the same guys. It's fairly obvious that Torrey, Jacoby, Doss, and DT are pretty much locks. Then, I picked Streeter because of his potential and what he can offer that no one else can. I picked Reed because he offers so many different things out of one player. I like LaQuan and Mellette, but don't think they offer anything more than the 6 I picked. Obviously it's still early and Mellette or LaQuan could shine in TC, but as of now, that's how I see it.

I wasn't implying you voted the way I did. I was more or less implying we voted the same lol. Sorry if it came across differently.

I agree with all your rationale. I wouldn't be surprised if Mellette won the job over another one of those guys but I think it's more likely he's on IR.

I wasn't implying you voted the way I did. I was more or less implying we voted the same lol. Sorry if it came across differently.

I agree with all your rationale. I wouldn't be surprised if Mellette won the job over another one of those guys but I think it's more likely he's on IR.

Oh not at all.  I was just giving my rationale as well!

Torrey Smith

Jacoby Jones

Tandon Doss

Deonte Thompson

David Reed

Tommy Streeter

Reed makes it on special teams ability as he is very good and underrated there.  He also flashed some WR skills late last season.  Mellette will get stashed on IR like Streeter did last year.  La'Quan unfortunately hasn't shown enough ability in my mind.

Torrey Smith
Jacoby Jones
Tandon Doss
Deonte Thompson
David Reed
Tommy Streeter

Reed makes it on special teams ability as he is very good and underrated there. He also flashed some WR skills late last season. Mellette will get stashed on IR like Streeter did last year. La'Quan unfortunately hasn't shown enough ability in my mind.

Is Q eligible for the PS?

Is Q eligible for the PS?

Nope.  He can only make the team, be cut, or spend the year on IR.

Nope. He can only make the team, be cut, or spend the year on IR.

He better be training like he's never trained before or he might be a NYJ.

Great job on the write up of the guys. You basically nailed everyone in my view. Smith, Reed, JJ, Doss, DT and Streeter are my picks.

Smith will improve on being the #1 WR with more diverse game planing. Work him short to intermediate and let that set up the deep ball.

JJ will have much more of a role then he did last year. Obviously I think he'll get a few more attempts, but I think his greatest asset is his return ability and he'll help us in that area much more then WR imo.

Reed has the potential to be a really good slot guy, but can also line up outside. A mix between Hines Ward and Derrick Mason but more explosive. So many people wanna find the next Boldin, but what if we have a DMase clone, wouldn't the offense benefit just as much?

Doss is another guys that can line up inside or out, but I think you maximize what he brings by lining him up inside. I wanna see what he can do being 100%. This is his first healthy offseason and that will be most important for him going forward.

DT is a guy I think might end up being our Jacoby Jones of the future honestly. A really good returner and big play waiting to happen on offense. I want to see the guy take all the buzz and turn it into a strong camp.

Streeter's size and speed is his ticket. If he makes the team I expect to see him get a few redzone opportunities. As a #6 WR you would like to see that guy play ST, but every other WR not named Smith plays ST, so that might not be a big concern with Tommy.

Mellette is exactly what you'd expect from a 7th round pick. Talented but still raw. I love his attitude as a young guy coming in to compete, now I wanna see his play back it up.

Torrey Smith
Jacoby Jones
Tandon Doss
Deonte Thompson
David Reed
Tommy Streeter

Reed makes it on special teams ability as he is very good and underrated there. He also flashed some WR skills late last season. Mellette will get stashed on IR like Streeter did last year. La'Quan unfortunately hasn't shown enough ability in my mind.

I'll echo this sentiment. There is a chance Mellette makes the team either as a 7th WR it maybe he beats out Reed or Streeter, but I think he ends up landing on the IR or PS.

Thanks RF23, since I don't want to quote your behemoth of a post.

And just as a side note... Isn't it crazy the number of WR's we have in camp?  I understand the whole competition thing, but 13 is a lot to have, especially with only 3 QB's to move the ball around.  I was just glancing at the roster and it seems interesting that we have 13 WR's when we don't have the camp body type guys at RB, CB, and ST.

And just as a side note... Isn't it crazy the number of WR's we have in camp?  I understand the whole competition thing, but 13 is a lot to have, especially with only 3 QB's to move the ball around.  I was just glancing at the roster and it seems interesting that we have 13 WR's when we don't have the camp body type guys at RB, CB, and ST.

WR is one of the more physically demanding positions. So 13 isn't a really high number when you consider 90 guys are in camp. You can get by with 5 RBs because it's only one position. If one of those guys get a nick, he can be replaced without hiccup. However if you get 1 or 2 WRs get a tight hammy, you need bodies to throw in there.

There is a good among of CBs and you have to count the Safeties with them, so it's a pretty good amount of DBs currently on the team. It's 13 WRs and 15 DBs so that's a good blend.

WR is one of the more physically demanding positions. So 13 isn't a really high number when you consider 90 guys are in camp. You can get by with 5 RBs because it's only one position. If one of those guys get a nick, he can be replaced without hiccup. However if you get 1 or 2 WRs get a tight hammy, you need bodies to throw in there.

There is a good among of CBs and you have to count the Safeties with them, so it's a pretty good amount of DBs currently on the team. It's 13 WRs and 15 DBs so that's a good blend.

I don't want to quote your massive post so I'll quote you here lol: I agree 100% regarding the JJ-DT comparison. I think DT will be the one to replace JJ if he can show it on the field on ST as a returner. Otherwise I won't be surprised if David Reed is our returner even for a year.

I'll echo this sentiment. There is a chance Mellette makes the team either as a 7th WR it maybe he beats out Reed or Streeter, but I think he ends up landing on the IR or PS.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mellette make the team. I think he has a good chance. I'm just not sure we'll carry 7WR. It's certainly possible but I think we'll carry more TE if we want to go that route. Since Dickson looks like he'll play a bigger role as a receiver I wouldn't be surprised to see 4TE on the roster.

And just as a side note... Isn't it crazy the number of WR's we have in camp? I understand the whole competition thing, but 13 is a lot to have, especially with only 3 QB's to move the ball around. I was just glancing at the roster and it seems interesting that we have 13 WR's when we don't have the camp body type guys at RB, CB, and ST.

Could I make a request for these future topics? Could you include their ages? I think it would be a nice addition because you can't really stash an old UDFA or stay pick for multiple years. You know what I'm saying?

Could I make a request for these future topics? Could you include their ages? I think it would be a nice addition because you can't really stash an old UDFA or stay pick for multiple years. You know what I'm saying?

Absolutely.  I'll go ahead and edit what I already have as well.

And for everyone else, if there is anything you think that can be done to improve these threads, feel free to let me know.

Absolutely. I'll go ahead and edit what I already have as well.

And for everyone else, if there is anything you think that can be done to improve these threads, feel free to let me know.

Thanks. I keep forgetting that sort of these guys are as "old" as they are. I'm very happy with the age of Torrey.

Also over been thinking: do you think it's possible Marlon might go on the PUP? I've been thinking about Doss and Reed. They both have issues with injuries. It might be wiser to bet prepared for this kind of thing.

I have Torrey,Jones,Thompson,Williams,Doss,Streeter & Mellete.

It's by far going to be the funnest TC competition we'll see this year.

I have Torrey,Jones,Thompson,Williams,Doss,Streeter & Mellete.

It's by far going to be the funnest TC competition we'll see this year.

So you say we carry 7WR with David Reed gone? You think Williams makes it on ST and durability? I'm not disagreeing. I just want to hear or rather read your thought process here.

So you say we carry 7WR with David Reed gone? You think Williams makes it on ST and durability? I'm not disagreeing. I just want to hear or rather read your thought process here.

Totally forgot about Reed. He makes the team too. I don't think we use the IR on Mallete, but it is a possibility.

8 WR's sound like a lot, but with the uncertainty we have I think we rather keep some familiar faces for more options and depth purposes. If anyone out of the ones I've listed get the axe, (which I'm sure one will) I unfortunately think it would be LaQuan with Streeter to follow. I don't know how the IR works but I don't think we would put one of them on IR, and in Streeters case a 2nd time.

I don't want to quote your massive post so I'll quote you here lol: I agree 100% regarding the JJ-DT comparison. I think DT will be the one to replace JJ if he can show it on the field on ST as a returner. Otherwise I won't be surprised if David Reed is our returner even for a year.

I actually think that David Reed might be the better overall returner between he, JJ and DT, just in term on being consistent. I know he had the fumbles and all, but if you can remember his returns he consistently put the offense in good position to start a drive. Now make no mistake about it, JJ had one of the best seasons as a returner that i've ever seen. But before last season the guy only had 1 return of longer then 40 yards in his career. So i'm speaking more on consistency over flash.

The reason why I see DT taking that returner role is because I'm actually one of the rare people that think D. Reed will have a fairly large role offensively, starting this year and going forward. So for DT that returner and big play guy fits within this offense going forward because I feel it'll be more of a WR by committee with all the guys. That same consistency as a returner I think David Reed will bring to being a WR and the same flash and big play ability DT has as a returner he'll bring as a WR. So that's my thinking on both guys, but I could see either being the top KOR next year if JJ isn't retained.

Totally forgot about Reed. He makes the team too. I don't think we use the IR on Mallete, but it is a possibility.

8 WR's sound like a lot, but with the uncertainty we have I think we rather keep some familiar faces for more options and depth purposes. If anyone out of the ones I've listed get the axe, (which I'm sure one will) I unfortunately think it would be LaQuan with Streeter to follow. I don't know how the IR works but I don't think we would put one of them on IR, and in Streeters case a 2nd time.

I can't see 8 WRs. Its just unheard of, 7 is a rarity. I agree that Laquan would be first to go out of that group.

I'm not sure man. I'm just not sure. I've never heard of a team carrying 8 WR at one time on the active roster. I'm not so sure Aaron Mellette clears waivers if he's cut which is required to go on the practice squad. I'm fairly confident Tommy Streeter won't clear waivers.

I just can't see Streeter cut. I think he offers too much in terms of variety to be cut due to his size and speed combo. I think Reed would be cut because we have great depth at returner and he does have a checkered injury history. I still think Hey makes the team because of his ST play and his untapped potential at WR thanks to Cam.

I don't think there's any way possible that we keep any more than 6 WR's.  I don't think LaQuan is talented enough to take a roster spot from someone at another position and I think Streeter, Mellette, whoever can be kept without using a roster spot via IR.

I don't think there's any way possible that we keep any more than 6 WR's. I don't think LaQuan is talented enough to take a roster spot from someone at another position and I think Streeter, Mellette, whoever can be kept without using a roster spot via IR.

I'm not sure they'll IR Streeter for a second year. Isn't he 25? He needs some game reps. I know what you're saying. Just adding two Lincoln

I'm not sure they'll IR Streeter for a second year. Isn't he 25? He needs some game reps. I know what you're saying. Just adding two Lincoln

Just throwing out names.  If they deem Streeter not worthy of a roster spot this year, I can't see us just cutting him.  Enter IR, even if it does slow his progression.  I really think Mellette is that #7 WR, though.

I said I was sure one of them would be cut, just can't determine who at this point. Once training camp rolls along we'll have a better idea solely based on reports. We won't carry 8, I'm just unsure how the PS & IR work on here. If Streeter, Williams or Melette are eligible to make the PS and don't have to go through waivers first, then it would be easier for me to have a better idea. I don't think any of them would clear waivers.

I would say the locks to make it are Smith,Jones,Doss, Reed & Thompson. If we're flexible enough to designate Streeter,Mellete or Williams to the PS then that's where I think they would go. Again, unsure about the rules with that. I just can't see us cutting more than one of them.

I think we carry 7 if Leach isn't resigned. Signs point to a bigger passing game, with the question marks at receiver I wouldn't be surprised to see us carry that many.

Also with a couple of ST's gone from last year and the suspension of Thompson for the first quarter of the season, I can see us using some of those receivers primarly as special teamers if they can prove they're good enough....while also judging our #3,4 and 5 WR's and let the competition extend further than just TC and preseason.

Uncertainty or not, 8 WRs is a lot. When it's all said and done at least one of these young guys will be cut.

Also with a couple of ST's gone from last year and the suspension of Thompson for the first quarter of the season, I can see us using some of those receivers primarly as special teamers if they can prove they're good enough....while also judging our #3,4 and 5 WR's and let the competition extend further than just TC and preseason.

This is the Ace up the sleeve for the Ravens imo. With CT suspended, he wouldn't count against the 53 during those 4 games. This will allow the Ravens to keep a guy like Streeter or Mellette from being exposed to other teams, if the PS is the route the Ravens go with those guys.

If a player is cut before the final rosters are set then he can be placed on another teams PS squad without all the waiver wire stuff. However if a play is cut after the 53 man roster is set for the season, that player has to clear waivers. In order for another team to sign him, they must claim him and place him on their 53 man roster. If a player is claimed off waivers the original team has the ability to pull the guy off waivers and sign him to their 53 man roster.

So just by making the 53 man roster for a day could help the Ravens keep one of the young developmental WRs.

For me, I think the first four on the list are safe bets to make the team, and the top 3 are pretty much guaranteed as long as health and our roster (meaning no big FA signings) remain relatively unchanged throughout the rest of the offseason.  I voted Mellette in just because I want him to have a real chance to show what he can do.  I picked Reed for the final spot over Q and Streeter mostly because I think he's going to have a much larger role in the return game if things stay how they are in our receiving corp.  I wouldn't be surprised if we keep more than our usual 6 receivers unless some of the candidates for 2-4 really step up and separate themselves from the pack in the coming months.  I also half expect us to make a FA signing late in the offseason if that scenario doesn't happen.  All these factors make it really hard to choose, at the moment.

My guess is they really want Mellette to make the team. He's in the 7th position now. So I either see the Ravens going with 7 or it will be Doss or Streeter out the door. They just signed Crisco (D Reed) to a brand new contract this off season, and they have really been talking up Thompson, so I don't see either one of those guys being cut.

My guess is they really want Mellette to make the team. He's in the 7th position now. So I either see the Ravens going with 7 or it will be Doss or Streeter out the door. They just signed Crisco (D Reed) to a brand new contract this off season, and they have really been talking up Thompson, so I don't see either one of those guys being cut.

He was a 7th round pick, so its not like the team invested all that much in him. Now if he performs well they will want to keep him, but as if right now he would be on the bubble IMO. Guys like Reed and Streeter gave already been given votes if confidence ( new contract dir Reed and IR for Streeter which allowed us ti redshirt him) which make me think they are higher in the depth chart as of now.

I wouldn't be sure about that.  While the Ravens generally like to keep every drafted player one way or another, it doesn't mean they'll make the 53 man roster.

Mellette is the perfect fit to either go on IR or go to the practice squad.  I doubt we'd lose him if we put him on PS.  Its not like we are known to have great depth at WR around the league and Mellette was a 7th rounder.  So we should be able to get him on the PS.  

Then again, people compare Mellette as the poor man's Aaron Dobson of the Patriots who went in the 2nd.   So we could have a diamond in the rough that has too much potential to risk the loss.  

I wouldn't be sure about that.  While the Ravens generally like to keep every drafted player one way or another, it doesn't mean they'll make the 53 man roster.

Mellette is the perfect fit to either go on IR or go to the practice squad.  I doubt we'd lose him if we put him on PS.  Its not like we are known to have great depth at WR around the league and Mellette was a 7th rounder.  So we should be able to get him on the PS.  

Then again, people compare Mellette as the poor man's Aaron Dobson of the Patriots who went in the 2nd.   So we could have a diamond in the rough that has too much potential to risk the loss.  

Despite their great reputation, the Patriots are not at all good at drafting WRs and developing them. So I wouldn't put too much wait on a Dobson comparison. Although I am a fan of Dobson and would have like the Ravens to add him.

I wouldn't be sure about that. While the Ravens generally like to keep every drafted player one way or another, it doesn't mean they'll make the 53 man roster.

Mellette is the perfect fit to either go on IR or go to the practice squad. I doubt we'd lose him if we put him on PS. Its not like we are known to have great depth at WR around the league and Mellette was a 7th rounder. So we should be able to get him on the PS.

Then again, people compare Mellette as the poor man's Aaron Dobson of the Patriots who went in the 2nd. So we could have a diamond in the rough that has too much potential to risk the loss.

Here's my outlook on the Mellette situation:

Yes he's a rookie and we don't traditionally like to let them go but we will and have proven to do it.

No, he doesn't appear to be a ST standout right now. He'll need that to compete.

Yes, we need him for the future. Jacoby is a free agent next year. I think Reed or Thompson replaces him at KR unless Bobby Rainey makes it. We'll discuss that layer but yeah. Asa is more of a PR in my eyes. We also have Doss and Smith coming due as free agents the same year in addition to McPhee and Jimmy Smith and Chykie Brown. I think Mellette reminds me a lot of Doss in terms of style. Reed also only has a 2yr deal.

I just can't see us cutting Mellette. I think he'll go on the reserve.

My picks were pretty much in line with everyone else, the top five were Smith, JJ, Doss, Reed, and Thompson, my final spot was for Streeter, but to be honest I think that spot it still up for grabs. I picked Streeter because I think his differences make him valuable to the WR Corps, but if one of the other guys was to separate themselves or Streeter showed he wasn't ready to contribute then I think it could be replaced.

As far as the other five, I doubt that Doss, Reed, and Thompson lose their spots unless they are hurt, someone else clearly out plays them, or they fall apart.

I dont put too much stock in Reed's contract meaning he's safe. They had to re-up to keep him and a 2yr deal was the best and safest way to do it. If he makes it and contributes you've got a 2nd yr on the cheap. But its not like the deal handcuffs us to him. But I do think he ends up making the team this year.

I have Torrey, Doss, JJ, Deonte, Streeter, and Reed making it with Williams being cut and Mellette either IR or PS. 

I'll go ahead and say that's pretty much a stone cold lock.

You really think they'd cut Doss in favor of Mellette?  Doss was a 4th round pick that played consistently as our #4 receiver last year.  Mellette is a 7th round pick that has been very hit or miss so far this offseason.

Mellette has flashed potential and has been the one who "plays like Boldin" the most. He has been complimented with his ability to catch the ball in traffic and has also scored a few TDs in practices. Also, it looks like he is the only one who catches with his hands instead of his body, something that Torrey rarely does (still a beast though).

Here's my picks..

Torrey -> Obvious reasons.

Jacoby -> Not my favorite to start opposite Torrey but has potential

Doss

Deonte -> Speed Kills and could be back as the return man if Jacoby gets a bigger role.

Streeter -> Maybe IR again... theres been reports of dropped passes and bad route running.

Mellette -> Strong hands and could make a run for a #3 or #4 spot.. But IMO, he could end up starting by the end of the year

Brown -> My sleeper pick. Maybe IR though.

Also.. If my IR candidates make does end up on IR, David Reed is next in line on my list.

The Knowns - Torrey, Jacoby, Doss, Deonte

2nd level guys - David Reed(the staff is high on him), Streeter(developing him for a reason), and my guess is Mellette

Unfortunately I dont think LaQuan will make the cut...I think he can play

Mellette has flashed potential and has been the one who "plays like Boldin" the most. He has been complimented with his ability to catch the ball in traffic and has also scored a few TDs in practices. Also, it looks like he is the only one who catches with his hands instead of his body, something that Torrey rarely does (still a beast though).

Here's my picks..

Torrey -> Obvious reasons.

Jacoby -> Not my favorite to start opposite Torrey but has potential

Doss

Deonte -> Speed Kills and could be back as the return man if Jacoby gets a bigger role.

Streeter -> Maybe IR again... theres been reports of dropped passes and bad route running.

Mellette -> Strong hands and could make a run for a #3 or #4 spot.. But IMO, he could end up starting by the end of the year

Brown -> My sleeper pick. Maybe IR though.

Also.. If my IR candidates make does end up on IR, David Reed is next in line on my list.

Not sure where you heard the info about Mellette. Everything I've heard says the guy is inconsistent right now. He'll make a catch but drop a really easy catch. He has looked decent in practice but nothing to get overly excited about.

Also I've heard that Doss, DT, and Reed has all shown strong "hands" throughout OTAs and Mini camp. So do you have a link saying where everyone is body catching?

I dont put too much stock in Reed's contract meaning he's safe. They had to re-up to keep him and a 2yr deal was the best and safest way to do it. If he makes it and contributes you've got a 2nd yr on the cheap. But its not like the deal handcuffs us to him. But I do think he ends up making the team this year.

I have Torrey, Doss, JJ, Deonte, Streeter, and Reed making it with Williams being cut and Mellette either IR or PS. 

I'll go ahead and say that's pretty much a stone cold lock.

agreed. Plus you have to remember the fact that Chris Carr was cut just 1 season after signing a 4yr deal and i'm sure the Ravens were on the hook for much more money then what Reed will get. Reed will have to earn his way onto this roster and will have to show he can provide something to the offense to see the field. His contract will have next to nothing to do with the decision to keep him.

The one thing I will say about the contract is just the fact that the Ravens made the decision to re-sign him for 2yrs. To me it says they see something in him that makes them believe he might be a guy to take that step to the next level. So if he does become a player, you would hate to lose him the very next season. So it was definitely a smart play.

Not sure where you heard the info about Mellette. Everything I've heard says the guy is inconsistent right now. He'll make a catch but drop a really easy catch. He has looked decent in practice but nothing to get overly excited about.

Also I've heard that Doss, DT, and Reed has all shown strong "hands" throughout OTAs and Mini camp. So do you have a link saying where everyone is body catching?

u just described torrey smith in his rookie camp...way to soon to label these guys

Mellette dominated at his level in college, its possible once he learns the playbook and can just focus on playing football instead of thinking that he can improve greatly

u just described torrey smith in his rookie camp...way to soon to label these guys

Mellette dominated at his level in college, its possible once he learns the playbook and can just focus on playing football instead of thinking that he can improve greatly

The guy definitely has talent and that's the biggest reason he's here. Caldwell's approach seems to be a lot simpler then Cam's but we are still talking about a NFL playbook, so who knows how long it'll take him to learn the playbook. The reason why it usually take WRs 2-3 years to develop is because they have to learn so much.

Also the biggest difference between Torrey and Mellette imo is what Torrey brought to the offense. The Ravens wanted his speed in the offense bad. Torrey could have been the worse WR ever drafted and he probably would have still saw the field as a 3rd WR imo. So he very well could come in and light camp on fire and make the team. But from all i've heard, Mellette still has a ways to go. Which is expected. Also what does Mellette bring that the offense absolutely needs? .

The guy definitely has talent and that's the biggest reason he's here. Caldwell's approach seems to be a lot simpler then Cam's but we are still talking about a NFL playbook, so who knows how long it'll take him to learn the playbook. The reason why it usually take WRs 2-3 years to develop is because they have to learn so much.

Also the biggest difference between Torrey and Mellette imo is what Torrey brought to the offense. The Ravens wanted his speed in the offense bad. Torrey could have been the worse WR ever drafted and he probably would have still saw the field as a 3rd WR imo. So he very well could come in and light camp on fire and make the team. But from all i've heard, Mellette still has a ways to go. Which is expected. Also what does Mellette bring that the offense absolutely needs? .

Just to play devil's advocate, Mellette could provide that strong over-the-middle receiver, as opposed to a shifty slot receiver like Reed.

Just to play devil's advocate, Mellette could provide that strong over-the-middle receiver, as opposed to a shifty slot receiver like Reed.

Enter Doss.  Mellette doesn't offer anything that we don't already have.

You are absolutely correct, but is that something that is needed so bad you'd ask a inconsistent guy to fill that role? That's my point about comparing him to Torrey. The Ravens desperately needed speed added to this offense. It was clear that Torrey wasn't gonna be a consistent presence early on, so the trade for Lee Evans was made. However, because the Ravens really needed the speed that Torrey provided, they still found a place for Torrey. Then of course he broke out in his first start and proved a reliable #2 WR. But my point is, unless Mellette is so dominant that he outplays a couple of the top 5 guys, you problem aren't gonna overlook his inconsistencies and struggles like we were willing to do with Torrey. Because that strong over the middle presence isn't as needed, like Torrey's speed was.

Enter Doss.  Mellette doesn't offer anything that we don't already have.

Mellette is faster and more explosive right I thought. Unless that article saying Doss really improved in those areas are true(which im skeptical) then they don't offer exactly the same thing. You can't teach speed and natural quickness, so unless Doss is showing his hands are rock solid even in traffic and through contact then I can see Mellette taking a shot at his job if he is doing everything else right.