Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

Why has Elvis Dumervil become slightly disrespected?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 Sami84

Sami84

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

Not on NFL top 100, pundits calling him overrated. Im not bias, and i've said this in another post, when it comes to finesse pass rush he's as good as i've seen.( for his size..his numbers are impossible)

He missed the entire 2010 season and in just 6 seasons has 63.5 sacks. If he had played in 2010 he would have def had between 10-15 sacks..that would be around 77 altogether and just 7 off t sizzles number. And sizzle has played 3 more years.

Is it just because he's joined us? Even before he joined i had him in my wishlist for the past 4 years! 

#2 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,230 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

I think he's gonna be awesome for us. Let the naysayers naysay. I just hope this revamped D gels quickly. We have all the talent we need to be top 5.

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#3 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,284 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

He's a Raven now. Question answered.
15fqib6.jpg

#4 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

He is overrated to be honest. If anyone has a subscription to pro football focus they could tell us. That being said, he is an upgrade over Kruger, albeit slightly. He's a tad bit better run defense wise, but he too can be neutralized by a very sound blocker or a double team. He really benefited playing with Von Miller last year as he took most of the attention away. Not sure how he will hold up as an OLB though I know he played the position before with Don Martindale as the Defensive coordinator. Really it depends on who has been rating him. He has a lot of hype coming over here though like he is some savior for the defense. He will likely register close to 10 sacks and will be much more efficient and a better player when we need him because Upshaw will take snaps on run situations. With him being used like Kruger he will have a monster season and playoffs, but still only get around 10 sacks while pressuring the QB often in passing situations. What he gives that we didn't get from Kruger is leadership and veteran savvy. He could be the best mentor for Upshaw and that would be great for us going forward.  

#5 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

Sad but true.

The Dude is going to be a star. He had 11 sacks last year in a scheme that he doesn't fit in well.

He is overrated to be honest. If anyone has a subscription to pro football focus they could tell us. That being said, he is an upgrade over Kruger, albeit slightly. He's a tad bit better run defense wise, but he too can be neutralized by a very sound blocker or a double team. He really benefited playing with Von Miller last year as he took most of the attention away. Not sure how he will hold up as an OLB though I know he played the position before with Don Martindale as the Defensive coordinator. Really it depends on who has been rating him. He has a lot of hype coming over here though like he is some savior for the defense. He will likely register close to 10 sacks and will be much more efficient and a better player when we need him because Upshaw will take snaps on run situations. With him being used like Kruger he will have a monster season and playoffs, but still only get around 10 sacks while pressuring the QB often in passing situations. What he gives that we didn't get from Kruger is leadership and veteran savvy. He could be the best mentor for Upshaw and that would be great for us going forward.  

He'll be playing next to one of the best 3-4 OLBs in the Game in Suggs. And, something he did not have in Denver was a top 5 DLinemen like Ngata is.

Ngata, Suggs, and Doom all demand double teams and last time I checked, you can have 4 rush the QB with six blockers. Teams are going to hate playing against our pass rush

Banned

#6 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

Hmm. 

What about in 2006 when he was drafted by the Broncos, he had 8.5 sacks as a rookie when Ebenezer Ekuban had 7 sacks at RE with Kenard Lang generating 6 sacks at LE? The next year in 2007 as a sophomore he put up 12.5 sacks as a RE (facing the blindside blocker). The guy with the next highest sacks was Tim Crowder with 4. John Engelberger played across from Elvis and only got 1 sack. 

In 2008 he had a bad year, where he only had 5 sacks as a RE across from LE Ebenezer Ekuban who had 5 as well. The 2009 Broncos had Elvis Dumervil amass 17 sacks as a ROLB with 3 passes defended and 4 forced fumbles. That's insane. That was also the first year he played OLB as well. 

2010 he missed the season. The Broncos had 23 sacks on the year but most of the sacks came from the ILB DJ Williams & Mario Haggan with 5.5 & 5 respectively. That's extremely disappointing. 

2011 we saw the emergence of Von Miller who had 11.5 sacks as a LB with Elvis Dumervil as a RE on the 4-man front. Elvis still got 9.5 sacks that year, which isn't bad at all. 

So my point is while you can say Dumervil benefited from Miller in 2012 because Miller had a ridiculous 18.5 sacks while Elvis had 11, I think Elvis has proven himself as a very good pass rusher before Miller came into the league. 

#7 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,890 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

My sentiments exactly.  I'll be the first to admit that I've probably called Dumervil overrated in the past.  He's had ups and downs.  But I think he'll be a great fit here and will be very effective.  That's all that matters right now. 

Posted Image

#8 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,018 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:12 PM

Our pass rush is so lethal. I'm just thinking of what Suggs, Doom, Ngata & Canty can do. We can blitz from anywhere at any time.

We don't know what Willams can do yet, but I love the chip on his shoulder and I have a great feeling about him as well.

I used to think Dumervil was overrated, but I never really had a reason for it lol... I think he'll very valuable for us, on & off the field.

Edited by Ravens<3, 05 July 2013 - 07:12 PM.

#9 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:17 PM

Disagree his lack of respect has been around from day 1
Liked him coming out of college but many pundits didnt think highly of him then.
He isn't flashy but he defiantly so productive so he doesn't get the love that others do.

#10 cushrinada1986

cushrinada1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well if anyone doubts Dooms value, here is what he meant to the team he just left:

http://www.nfl.com/n...he-was-our-rock

#11 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

Hmm. 

What about in 2006 when he was drafted by the Broncos, he had 8.5 sacks as a rookie when Ebenezer Ekuban had 7 sacks at RE with Kenard Lang generating 6 sacks at LE? The next year in 2007 as a sophomore he put up 12.5 sacks as a RE (facing the blindside blocker). The guy with the next highest sacks was Tim Crowder with 4. John Engelberger played across from Elvis and only got 1 sack. 

In 2008 he had a bad year, where he only had 5 sacks as a RE across from LE Ebenezer Ekuban who had 5 as well. The 2009 Broncos had Elvis Dumervil amass 17 sacks as a ROLB with 3 passes defended and 4 forced fumbles. That's insane. That was also the first year he played OLB as well. 

2010 he missed the season. The Broncos had 23 sacks on the year but most of the sacks came from the ILB DJ Williams & Mario Haggan with 5.5 & 5 respectively. That's extremely disappointing. 

2011 we saw the emergence of Von Miller who had 11.5 sacks as a LB with Elvis Dumervil as a RE on the 4-man front. Elvis still got 9.5 sacks that year, which isn't bad at all. 

So my point is while you can say Dumervil benefited from Miller in 2012 because Miller had a ridiculous 18.5 sacks while Elvis had 11, I think Elvis has proven himself as a very good pass rusher before Miller came into the league. 

I was just saying he was overrated based on what most seem to think. His leadership and pass rushing ability will be key to our success, but you hear people saying he's a great all around DE and hes gonna go for 20 sacks, thats just not gonna happen.

Well if anyone doubts Dooms value, here is what he meant to the team he just left:

http://www.nfl.com/n...he-was-our-rock

Exactly, thats more what he brings that i like.

#12 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

I was just saying he was overrated based on what most seem to think. His leadership and pass rushing ability will be key to our success, but you hear people saying he's a great all around DE and hes gonna go for 20 sacks, thats just not gonna happen.

Why not? Give me a couple good reasons for why that mark is impossible for him to achieve.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#13 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,042 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

Exactly, thats more what he brings that i like.

Oh well no. He's not a great all around DE or OLB. He struggles against the run and I remember him missing quite some tackles IIRC.

#14 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Why not? Give me a couple good reasons for why that mark is impossible for him to achieve.

Nothing is impossible, but its highly unlikely he gets anywhere close to that mark. I'd be extremely happy with a 10 sack season.

Blitz every down! It's the only way to win!

#15 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

Ok I just wanna say first of all I think he will be a huge success in our system and i think he will be amazing in the lockeroom and will help the Ravens develop young guys like Upshaw. But this is why he won't hit 20 bro. He is more of a situational pass rusher who needs to be kept fresh. Yes he is slightly better at stopping the run than kruger, but that's a backhanded compliment. These advanced statistics articles back me up that his production isn't as stellar as his reputation would have you to believe.

https://www.profootb...-opposite-ends/        

https://www.profootb...roncos-week-17/

https://www.profootb...denver-broncos/

https://www.profootb...denver-broncos/

The first is why he has fallen.

The second explains Dumervil has a Run Stop Percentage of 4.7%, which is in the bottom 10 for 4-3 defensive ends.

The third is in regards to his previous pay, and lets you know the behind the scenes of why he took a paycut, or tried to.

The fourth has his overall rating in regards to other FAs on the team.

I hope Doom gets 20 sacks but he won't be full time on the field(thats a good thing) and he could be a target and giveaway for smart QBs so it is highly doubtful.

#16 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Nothing is impossible, but its highly unlikely he gets anywhere close to that mark. I'd be extremely happy with a 10 sack season.

I agree with this. But why not be optimistic and dream of a 20 sack season?
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#17 5aiah

5aiah

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

I predict a 10 sack season with him taking a lot less snaps than he did last year, meaning more efficiency in regards to sacks hurries and QB hits, while staying very fresh for the next SB run.

#18 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:37 PM

I predict a 10 sack season with him taking a lot less snaps than he did last year, meaning more efficiency in regards to sacks hurries and QB hits, while staying very fresh for the next SB run.

That's what I am hoping for. Upshaw will get a lot of snaps, but Elvis should be in there for all the obvious pass rush situations.

Blitz every down! It's the only way to win!

#19 ThePurpleWall

ThePurpleWall

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:38 PM

this^, media doesn't like the Ravens we all know this but that is why, because he is a Raven.

Ray Lewis"in any war who pulls their General out?,Nobody,when ever i put on that Jersey,ever man in this building believes in one thing,whatever our General says we Follow bottom Line"

Ray Lewis is the Leader of this Franchise.

#20 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

That's what I am hoping for. Upshaw will get a lot of snaps, but Elvis should be in there for all the obvious pass rush situations.

Your first reply lacked any substance and was easily refutable by mentioning that he has gotten 17 sacks before and with a wide open offense other teams will have to pass more against Baltimore than ever.

This last post is more along the lines of rationally suggesting why he won't get 20 or near there.
Its also my feeling as well. In terms of pass rushers I think we have lots of depth so elvis won't be in enough to get 20 sacks especially if upshaw,, McPhee, etc get hot one game. Then elvis would lose snaps because another player is feeling it.

Team goal for sacks would be like a few years ago and produce 4 players with 9+ sacks....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users