Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cushrinada1986

Joe Flacco's chance to truly break out

75 posts in this topic

When you hear 4k yards and 40TDs for Joe Flacco, can you image this being a more consistent number for our QB going forward in his career? I think it is possible, especially this year. With the emergence of Pierce, a faster and more effective D, and a speedier crop of WR's, this could prove to a lot of people that Flacco can be that regular season fantasy player everyone expects of a big arm QB. Will Flacco top 40TD's or/and 4000 yards or is this expectation too high?

I think he's certainly capable to do that, but with how successful our run game is I don't think he will.

Keeping Leach over Boldin tells me we're still gonna be focused on running the ball a good amount of the time. Especially having a two headed monster in the backfield.

I can see him getting 4,000 yards, but not 40 TD's. Also if our defense really improves like I think it will some of his stats probably won't increase. Depends on how conservative Caldwell wants to be which I have no problem with if it's the right time to be.
I think his stats will look more efficient, especially completion %. But I think Joe gets somewhere around 30-35 TD's next year.

I don't think anyone can comfortably say this will be the year he 'breaks out'.. weve been saying it the past couple years.. yeah Cam is gone and Caldwell has seem to cater to Joe since he took over but our receiving core is a bit of a question mark right now.

Ravens fans should accept by now that yeah it'd be great for our QB to have flashy stats but if this team is winning enough to be in the playoffs then it doesn't matter.

4000 yards and 40 touchdowns? Yea you need to tone down those expectations some. 4000 yards is very possible, but that along with 40 TDs would rank among the all time greatest seasons.

4000 yards and 40 touchdowns? Yea you need to tone down those expectations some. 4000 yards is very possible, but that along with 40 TDs would rank among the all time greatest seasons.

Agreed.  I think 4000 yards is very attainable for Flacco, but 40 TDs would be very difficult to accrue.  I think that's pushing the bill a bit.

Agreed. I think 4000 yards is very attainable for Flacco, but 40 TDs would be very difficult to accrue. I think that's pushing the bill a bit.

39 TDs?

If he's throwing 40 TDs that means our running game is likely in the crapper. No thanks.

4k is attainable and really not a big deal, though. He likely would've crossed it last year had he not sat out portions of both Bengals games.

Generally, you only get 40+ TDs if you (a) have no run game, or (b) are losing most of the time.  I don't think he'll have enough attempts to get 40, but 30-35 seems reasonable, along with 4000 yds.

Take four off of that big guy, c'mon

lol I was just kidding. I think 30 is achievable but not much more realistically speaking since we do have a strong run game.

Who cares about stats, except for wins and losses. If Joe leads us into the post season that's what counts.

Truly break out?  He is the reigning SB MVP for gosh sake!  'Cmon man!

Who cares about stats, except for wins and losses. If Joe leads us into the post season that's what counts.

Truly break out? He is the reigning SB MVP for gosh sake! 'Cmon man!

lol I agree. I don't play Dungeons and Drago...excuse me, Fantasy Football, so I don't care about his stats as long as he keeps his turnovers down.

As many said, the effectiveness of our run game will tie down Joe's stats. I'm very willing to make that trade though, and we know Flacco can go lights out when we needhim to. 

I thought he broke out by capping off a stellar playoff performance with the Super Bowl MVP. Thought he even broke out before that in the AFC Championship loss to New England when he basically went on the road and put a perfect go-ahead TD on the hands of Lee Evans.

11 QBs threw for 4000 or more last year and only 2 of the 11 won a playoff game

Generally, you only get 40+ TDs if you (a) have no run game, or ( B) are losing most of the time.  I don't think he'll have enough attempts to get 40, but 30-35 seems reasonable, along with 4000 yds.

Generally you don't have a combo of a QB who can make every deep throw mixed with killer speed at WR. I'm not saying 40 isn't a tough number, but I don't think it's as impossible like some are making it to be.

If you look at it as 2 TD passes in 8 games and 3 TD passes in the other 8 games....that actually might be doable while keeping the run game involved.

Quite frankly, I don't even care about his regular season stats. As long as he is being steady, and winning us games, I don't care if he throws for 40, heck even 30, TD's. I don't care if he is getting 4,000, or even 3,500, passing yards, as long as he is putting us in position to win games, and pulling off what he does best: winning in clutch moments. All I care about is if he can keep winning in the clutch, and leading us back when we are down and out, as he has done several times in the past. I don't care about regular season stats as much as I do about playoff stats when it comes to this guy. It seems like as soon as the playoffs come up, he's lights out. And that's what I want out of my Qb. Steady, consistent, and clutch in the regular season, while being a star in the playoffs and winning game after game until we get more rings.

I thought he broke out by capping off a stellar playoff performance with the Super Bowl MVP. Thought he even broke out before that in the AFC Championship loss to New England when he basically went on the road and put a perfect go-ahead TD on the hands of Lee Evans.

11 QBs threw for 4000 or more last year and only 2 of the 11 won a playoff game

me too!

~Mili

Realistically, I think Joe is more likely to throw for 4000 yards and 25-30 touchdowns.

He wont be putting up 4000 yards and 40 tds with this wr corp.I think he could have a 3900-4100 yard season with 25-28 tds and single digit ints this year though.

Truly break out?  He is the reigning SB MVP for gosh sake!  'Cmon man!

Quite frankly, I don't even care about his regular season stats. As long as he is being steady, and winning us games, I don't care if he throws for 40, heck even 30, TD's. I don't care if he is getting 4,000, or even 3,500, passing yards, as long as he is putting us in position to win games, and pulling off what he does best: winning in clutch moments. All I care about is if he can keep winning in the clutch, and leading us back when we are down and out, as he has done several times in the past. I don't care about regular season stats as much as I do about playoff stats when it comes to this guy. It seems like as soon as the playoffs come up, he's lights out. And that's what I want out of my Qb. Steady, consistent, and clutch in the regular season, while being a star in the playoffs and winning game after game until we get more rings.

I hope everyone remembers this when they draft their fantasy teams. For years people have drafted Flacco, knowing that big stats are not our style, then they come here and fuss up a storm because he isn't getting them fantasy points.

He has a legitimate chance at breaking 4000. I say at least 3700-3800. 40 tds, I don't see, not this year. He has a chance at 30, but not much more than that. I say at least 22-24.

My biggest questions are not with flacco, but more so with the wr corps. Torrey, I believe, can become a go to guy. But you can't just say he can because he simply hasn't yet. After him, it's kind of a question mark. Jacoby? I've seen more of him than probably all of you. When he came in, everybody down here and there mothers thought he was gonna be the number 2 opposite andre, but he wasn't consistent. He's the kind of guy that makes a MONSTER play here and there, but for some reason he can't stay consistent. Hopefully that changes, but he's already been in the league for a couple years now. After him, I can't speculate say much. We do have good tight ends though. That might balance things out.

Generally you don't have a combo of a QB who can make every deep throw mixed with killer speed at WR. I'm not saying 40 isn't a tough number, but I don't think it's as impossible like some are making it to be.

Certainly not impossible.  We just don't have the common formula.  Joe Flacco is capable of throwing 40 TDs, but I'm not sure that would best for our team and what we do best.

He wont be putting up 4000 yards and 40 tds with this wr corp.I think he could have a 3900-4100 yard season with 25-28 tds and single digit ints this year though.

That's basically what he did last season.  I think he can improve upon that a bit.

I hope everyone remembers this when they draft their fantasy teams. For years people have drafted Flacco, knowing that big stats are not our style, then they come here and fuss up a storm because he isn't getting them fantasy points.

Amen to that. That's why I would steer clear of him in the fantasy drafts that I took part in, unless I couldn't avoid it. He is elite, but he's a different kind of elite, the kind of elite that doesn't exactly show up in stats, at least not in fantasy point stats. You can't put fantasy points or showboat points on clutch performances, and that's exactly what he does best: clutch time.

On a side note, I no longer play fantasy football. I used to love the game, but with all the responsibilities I now have, I don't have time to play now. I won three straight championships in the league I played in, and came in second once, for a total of 4 played years in that league. I've played my heart out, now its time to relax and enjoy the sport the way it should be enjoyed.

the fact of the matter is, even IF Flacco does 4,000 and 40, all the critics will follow with a "Yeah BUT.... "

When you hear 4k yards and 40TDs for Joe Flacco, can you image this being a more consistent number for our QB going forward in his career? I think it is possible, especially this year. With the emergence of Pierce, a faster and more effective D, and a speedier crop of WR's, this could prove to a lot of people that Flacco can be that regular season fantasy player everyone expects of a big arm QB. Will Flacco top 40TD's or/and 4000 yards or is this expectation too high?

He has the ability to do it, all of the right pieces are there.

But what I realized last season is that Joe, as well as our team, are big game players. What I mean by that is, Flacco doesn't play his best week in and week out during the regular season, especially on the road against "lesser" competition. 

Most of us expected Flacco and our offense to BOOM this past regular season but were wildly inconsistent. 

The fact that our offense now will have an entire off-season w/ Caldwell instead of Cam could prove very valuable and we might see that in affect during the regular season.

IMO he's already broken out. His coming out party happened last season in Pittsburgh. He's solidified it w/ a SB MVP and HISTORIC playoff stats. 

Flacco might NEVER put up Manning-like regular season stats but he's a proven winner and better in the post season than Manning. 

I expect Flacco to have just about the same numbers as every year. 3500-3800 passing yards and 28-31 td's and 8 ints

the fact of the matter is, even IF Flacco does 4,000 and 40, all the critics will follow with a "Yeah BUT.... "

I don't expect that to be the case. Flacco's knock was always that he's never put up great numbers during the regular season and that he has had the veteran leadership of Reed & Lewis to anchor a good defense. 

W/ all of the moves that were made in the off-season, losing 7 of our 22 starters in the superbowl, IF Flacco does put up those numbers, I believe that they will give credit to where credit is due. 

I don't think anyone can comfortably say this will be the year he 'breaks out'.. weve been saying it the past couple years.. yeah Cam is gone and Caldwell has seem to cater to Joe since he took over but our receiving core is a bit of a question mark right now.

Ravens fans should accept by now that yeah it'd be great for our QB to have flashy stats but if this team is winning enough to be in the playoffs then it doesn't matter.

Yeah, flashy stats is for casual fans and fantasy football geeks. I would rather have rings then stats. Of course both would be fine too. I do expect a somewhat better performance this year just because Cam is gone.

I don't expect that to be the case. Flacco's knock was always that he's never put up great numbers during the regular season and that he has had the veteran leadership of Reed & Lewis to anchor a good defense.

W/ all of the moves that were made in the off-season, losing 7 of our 22 starters in the superbowl, IF Flacco does put up those numbers, I believe that they will give credit to where credit is due.

I think they would say something along the lines of, "Yeah, but it was only one season."

I think what the OP means by "truly breaking out" is gaining the respect of the critics and fans. That usually comes with a great statistical year. To answer the question at hand, yes. I think this is the year Flacco becomes the QB he's always had the potential to be. It's no fluke that when Cam left Joe's stats skyrocketed. Take what Joe did in the playoffs and stretch it out over a 16 game season, while taking into account a few bad-average games, and that is what we'll see this year. 4000 yards and 40 TDs +/- 2. Book it.

That is all my friends.

Edit: I will add that I am very optimistic about our offense under Caldwell. However we do need to replace a reciever worth over 1000 yards per season. Let's face it, Caldwell made Anquan truly come out for us for those last few games and we need to replace a #1 reciever now and not just a number 2 or 3 receiver.

That is all my friends.

Edit: I will add that I am very optimistic about our offense under Caldwell. However we do need to replace a reciever worth over 1000 yards per season. Let's face it, Caldwell made Anquan truly come out for us for those last few games and we need to replace a #1 reciever now and not just a number 2 or 3 receiver.

We have a #1 in Torrey Smith.

Smith made a HUGE leap from year one to year two. He improved his route running (it could still improve but it's much better than it was in year 1) and he has the ability to make catches in traffic. 

This upcoming year will be Smith's 3rd year in the league and I don't expect him to take a step back from last year.

I think they would say something along the lines of, "Yeah, but it was only one season."

That, and / or,
"It was all because of his receivers" or " its only because the defense made a mistake"

Certainly not impossible.  We just don't have the common formula.  Joe Flacco is capable of throwing 40 TDs, but I'm not sure that would best for our team and what we do best.

I don't think anyone can honestly say that know what the offensive formula will be. Yes we know what it has been under Cam, but for the last 3 years, Flacco has been begging to have an offense that keeps the pressure on defenses and keeps attacking even with a lead. Cam never allowed this, but Caldwell seems like he'll mark to the beat of Flacco's drum.

There weren't many game we could use under Caldwell as an example of this, but the team did continue to attack the Gaints in the 2nd half although they had a big lead. So I think it'll be interesting to see how what the formula for this offense will be.

One big reason why I feel Joe could very well toss 40TDs is because with the game in his hands, he called a lot of audibles inside the redzone and set up passes instead of runs. Most QBs that have a high TD count generally have a high redzone TD count.

I think what the OP means by "truly breaking out" is gaining the respect of the critics and fans. That usually comes with a great statistical year. To answer the question at hand, yes. I think this is the year Flacco becomes the QB he's always had the potential to be. It's no fluke that when Cam left Joe's stats skyrocketed. Take what Joe did in the playoffs and stretch it out over a 16 game season, while taking into account a few bad-average games, and that is what we'll see this year. 4000 yards and 40 TDs +/- 2. Book it.

Most people will say 4 games is not a large enough sample. But I completely agree, especially when you add his home game stats. Flacco put up well over 300yds and 2TDs a game at home and that was with Cam running the show.

I will continue to say it, for me this season is "Flacco Unchained' because he will finally have that leash taken off and everyone in and out of Baltimore will see his true potential.

For whatever reason, most Raven fans think it's impossible for our QB to have MVP type numbers. It's definitely possible and I strongly feel it'll happen. These are my season predictions for Flacco and they won't change. 5,000yds 66% 45TDs 8Ints. So I definitely have Joe breaking out, but Skip will still find ways to bash him lol.

Most people will say 4 games is not a large enough sample. But I completely agree, especially when you add his home game stats. Flacco put up well over 300yds and 2TDs a game at home and that was with Cam running the show.

I will continue to say it, for me this season is "Flacco Unchained' because he will finally have that leash taken off and everyone in and out of Baltimore will see his true potential.

For whatever reason, most Raven fans think it's impossible for our QB to have MVP type numbers. It's definitely possible and I strongly feel it'll happen. These are my season predictions for Flacco and they won't change. 5,000yds 66% 45TDs 8Ints. So I definitely have Joe breaking out, but Skip will still find ways to bash him lol.

Really it was six games. First game against Denver was meh, and then he lit it up against NYG all the way through the postseason.

Personally, I think that nearly half a season is plenty of time to get a good idea of where he is at now

Really it was six games. First game against Denver was meh, and then he lit it up against NYG all the way through the postseason.

Personally, I think that nearly half a season is plenty of time to get a good idea of where he is at now

Oh so do I, but I still hear some people say, oh Flacco just got hot. But I don't think that's the case. I think the way Caldwell schemed things really help maximize Joe's potential. There was nothing out of the ordinary that Joe did, that makes me say,  oh it'll be impossible for him to continue playing the way he did under Caldwell.

You could tell that Caldwell and the offensive personnel were slowly getting accustomed to each other over those 6 games and things just continued to grow. Now with a full offseason, I have no doubt that not only will Joe's consistency issues go away but he'll have a MVP type season.

Wins>Stats
All I can say.

Who cares what the critics think. If he wins games, then the critics can say whatever they want

*begins constructing doomsday bunker for whenever we lose*

I'm glad to see predictions for my boy to have the greatest season for a QB in the history of the NFL.  I'll be happy with 12-13 wins and another playoff run, however it happens.

You would imagine, that someone would consider 11 TD to 0 INT, breaking out. Joe literally had the greatest post season in NFL history and we still talk about him "steping up" or having to "break out". I don't think we should really care what the media or other fanbases say about our guy, because rarely do those opinions change and often enough those people will always find something to complain about.

People consider Terry Bradshaw overrated, but I doubt the Steelers do mind the 4 SB he delivered them.

This is my prediction for Joe Flacco's regular season stats:

4000+ Yds
28-34 TDs
8-12 Ints
62-65% Completion

Keep in mind we'll continue to be a run first team unless we get behind a team by a couple of TDs, which is unlikely given how good our D is going to be.

Last year was Joe's best statistical performance.  Needless to say, he was spectacular in the playoffs.  Still, he almost reached the 4,000 yard milestone (3,817) and exceeded 20 touchdowns (22).  I'd much rather see him get below 10 interceptions with a full year of McKinnie protecting his blind side than see him get 40 touchdowns.  How about this for a compromise?  Joe gets 30 touchdowns and Ray/Bernard get 20 between them.  That would be a great season.

This is my prediction for Joe Flacco's regular season stats:

4000+ Yds
28-34 TDs
8-12 Ints
62-65% Completion

Keep in mind we'll continue to be a run first team unless we get behind a team by a couple of TDs, which is unlikely given how good our D is going to be.

His completion percentage is never going to be that high. We throw downfield way too often for that.