88 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,552 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:16 PM

While the offseason is not officially over(free agents are still on the market), I still want to do something like this....   

Note... I want to make this thread for the people that are new to the forum/fanbase and do not know much about the new players(or for some who are not as active).

So... I will be starting a series of one player a day with my personal input. I will give the background of each player(Combine results, draft pick they were, career stats{if any}).

I gave my grading scale on the "Pre Draft Grades" thread I made... Now, I want to see the scenarios for the new players.

By the end of all of this (all the rookie draft picks and FAs we got) I will then post the depth chart predictions.

So today I start off with new OLB/DE Elvis Dumervil.

I will catagorize them with the following stats

121224_gamedayelvis_inside.jpg

Name: Elvis Dumervil

Position: OLB/DE

Scheme: 3-4 OLB, 4-3 DE

Pro Bowls: 3

All Pros: One... 2009

One time NFL sack Leader

Height: 5'11

Weight: 260

Draft Status: Picked 126 (fourth round) in the 2006 NFL draft

College: Louisville

40 Time: 4.68

Coming out of college, there was one knock on Dumervil. Size. 

He is very small for a LB, both in terms of height and weight. But what made him a dominant pass rusher was his technique. Yes, Elvis does not rely on sheer athletic ability, rather he will beat you with his technique one on one. His short stature also allows him to use his low center of gravity to rush the passer. Because of his technique, his above average athletic ability, and his low center of gravity, he is able to beat NFL OT's with relative ease.

This is one of the steals in FA for a huge reason. He's perfect for the hybrid and is a damn good compliment to Suggs. 

Having played both 3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE, Dumervil has experience getting to the QB. And he is almost as good at it as Suggs is. 

If Suggs comes back healthy. Look for this tandem "Doom and Gloom" to be wrecking havoc on opposing QBs in the NFL. The LB corps got that much better with pass rush. Expect us to be one of the league leaders in sacks. 

Weaknesses:

While he was a very good pickup. He is not a perfect player. 

He has two major weaknesses that I see in him.

• He is a below average run Defender
  • Has missed one year of football with an injury.  

While not a terrible run defender(like Kruger was/is), he is not very good. But this will be a huge reason why he will rotate with young Ravens OLB Courtney Upshaw. Upshaw not only excels at stopping the run, he also has some pass rush ability. This makes not only the starting corps good, but the rotation is damn good too. 

He did miss 2010 with a torn pectoral muscle.

Conclusion:

This pickup will make our Defense that much better. A stud pass rusher, and more importantly a smart one, now joins us here at the flock. Suggs now has a dominant pass rusher to work with him, and now the OLB rotation is deadly. The Ravens struck gold and upgraded at the OLB position.

Highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANKmNVUcBxg

Him vs Clevland 

Edited by Mr. Irrelevant, 17 May 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#2 harfordravenfan

harfordravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

Very nice summary

#3 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:37 AM

Watching that video, I noticed something I don't think I noticed before.
Dumerville is a very clean tackler.
Meaning, nothing dirty or harsh. He is not out to break anybody.
I like that.
K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#4 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:13 AM

Great post & thread.

#5 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:14 AM

I'm guilty of totally forgetting about Elvis when it comes to our offseason moves. I think of all the great moves in FA and the draft and then I'm reminded that we got Doom too!! :D
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#6 Guest_nflfan123_*

Guest_nflfan123_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:08 PM

Nice post, who's next?

#7 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,552 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:19 PM

Fan_Photo_Matt_Elam_2013.jpg

Name: Matt Elam

Position: FS/SS

Scheme: Any. He's that good

Height: 5'9

Weight: 205

Draft Status: Picked 32nd Overall in 2013 NFL draft.

College: Florida 

40 time: 4.54

Those of you who know me personally will know I am very happy with this pick. Yes, he is too small, but he packs a punch.

As soon as I saw tape of him for the first time, I thought to myself "The man(that's what he was among boys at Florida) plays like a Raven". He's a STUD, and reminds me a little bit of our old Safety Bernard Pollard.

The versatile Safety out of Florida excels in coverage unlike Pollard. He can hold his own with it. Many people say Huff struggles without his hard hitter. Well, he is that too.

He, like Fellow Ravens rookie Arthur Brown, look to be great leaders.

Weaknesses.

Size...

The only weakness of his game is what was obvious last year with Ed Reed. Size. 

As great as the sure fire future  Hall of Fame safety is, the last few years, Reed was afraid to tackle. This means, near the end we could see the same thing for Elam. 

Another weakness could potentially be his hard hitting ability. Godell might fine the hell out of him.

By the end of the season, we will not even remember Pollard.....

#8 mgridda

mgridda

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 05:52 PM

I don't think it's Reed's size that affected his tackling so much as near-career ending nerve/shoulder/hip injuries that he just plays through because he's Old School and for the love of the game.

Posted Image

#9 stan

stan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

Jimmy Leonard was a small safety at 5'8" 188 lbs and played so well Rex Ryan signed him as a free agent for the Jets.

#10 cwfRaven

cwfRaven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

Great topic/post. Looking forward to the rest. :)

#11 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,107 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:38 PM

I don't think it's Reed's size that affected his tackling so much as near-career ending nerve/shoulder/hip injuries that he just plays through because he's Old School and for the love of the game.

Exactly.

Ed was indeed afraid to tackle, but size had nothing to do with it.

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

#12 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Jimmy Leonard was a small safety at 5'8" 188 lbs and played so well Rex Ryan signed him as a free agent for the Jets.

Leonhard has a pretty extensive injury history. He's been on two teams since leaving the Jets with a knee injury in 2011.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#13 stan

stan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

Leonhard has a pretty extensive injury history. He's been on two teams since leaving the Jets with a knee injury in 2011.

Just answering another poster's comment about Elam's size, 5'9". Shouldn't be a factor in his production and Elam is about 20 pounds heavier,  Hopefully he'll be more durable.

#14 Tank 92

Tank 92

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,366 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

Being a fringe starter, he's played a lot of ST. I'm guessing that has taken a toll on his body.

Dragonfly...... a TD waitin' to happen!

#15 Hjulmann

Hjulmann

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Ugh I just realized I can't imagine a DB combination without Ed Reed in the line-up. That is going to be weird

xojmt4.jpg
I miss our ballhawk

#16 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,228 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

will post video and picture later.

Name: Arthur Brown
Position: Linebacker
Scheme: 4-3 or 3-4; more familiarity with 4-3.
Height: 6-1
Weight: 110kg
Draft Status: 56th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft announced by HOF LT J. Ogden.
College: Kansas State #4, The University of Miami #11
High School: Wichita High School East #32
Combine: DNP
40-Yard Dash: 4.56, 4.66
Bench Press: 21 reps* (with shoulder injury)
Broad Jump: 116"
Workout Results: sensational; quick change of direction without losing momentum when altering angle of attack.

Strengths: excellent leader nominated team captain after transferring from Miami as a junior. Excellent instincts, nose for the football, true sideline to sideline Linebacker. Quick play diagnosis and read and reaction skills. Seems to display a knowledge of the play before the ball is even snapped, stepping in the direction of where the ball is going before or as the ball is snapped. Plays much, much larger than he is, able to hit as hard as anyone without expressing any emotion over it. Excellent use of hands to disengage and get off of blocks. Excellent coverage Linebacker who knows how to play they ball, can run with tight ends and wide receivers to prevent the play. A very smart Linebacker who can read the quarterback's eyes and very capable against the read option. A good Blitzer up the middle through the A-gap. A standout on an underwhelming Kansas State defense. A pretty sure tackler who wraps up very well and can even make one-arm tackles very well.

Weaknesses: size concerns, frame has some room to grow but not a lot, seems to be close to his ceiling but not quite there yet. Could have future injury concerns due to his style of play and the frame of his body. Not the biggest playmaker but appears to be more of a technician.

In my opinion, he will be an absolute monster for this team. I am not sure if he will be used to blitz or create turnovers but he will prevent completions on third down and help shutdown the run. In my opinion, I see his biggest impact coming from eliminating the read-option. I believe he and Elam will complement each other well and feed off of each other even though one is a linebacker and one a safety.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 19 May 2013 - 12:28 PM.

#17 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,552 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

I was going to do Canty today.... But I guess this is ok

#18 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,431 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

I was going to do Canty today.... But I guess this is ok

I think Grim just really wanted to do Arthur Brown lol.

#19 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,552 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

I think Grim just really wanted to do Arthur Brown lol.

Both the connotation and literally ;).

#20 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,552 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:58 PM

Grim. It's a joke. With the way he worded it I couldn't resist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users