62 replies to this topic

#1 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Guy was given an original round tender which, since he was an undrafted rookie, is none. We are around 3-4 million under cap the last time I checked so an offer which the Chargers can't match may seem unreasonable. However, it seems that they are concerned that he has had 5 knee surgeries before.

I doubt we make a play for him considering all the circumstances, but he is young player who has proven he can fit in with this league. Could help us open up our draft options.

Edited by dhstandard, 27 March 2013 - 08:01 PM.

2yno6dx.png

#2 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,719 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Guy was given an original round tender which, since he was an undrafted rookie, is none. We are around 6.5 million under cap the last time I checked so an offer which the Chargers can't match may seem unreasonable. However, it seems that they are concerned that he has had 5 knee surgeries before.

I doubt we make a play for him considering all the circumstances, but he is young player who has proven he can fit in with this league. Could help us open up our draft options.

We are at about 3 mil I believe. Chargers should match anything we can offer him and his knees are almost nonexistent. Not worth it.

#3 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Eh. I like Alexander but he has had issues with health. That's a risk. It's also surprising the Chargers gave him that tender, as well as surprising that the Rams cut him. Those are flags for me.

I'd rather we extend guys like Jones, Pitta, Oher than spend any more on vets.

#4 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:01 PM

We are at about 3 mil I believe. Chargers should match anything we can offer him and his knees are almost nonexistent. Not worth it.

You're right. I forgot to include Dumervil's contract since it wasn't added yet.

2yno6dx.png

#5 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

Eh. I like Alexander but he has had issues with health. That's a risk. It's also surprising the Chargers gave him that tender, as well as surprising that the Rams cut him. Those are flags for me.

He's 24...

2yno6dx.png

#6 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:04 PM

The Rams cutting Danario Alexander should have absolutely no bearing on his current status. In retrospect, it seems like a significant gaff on their part rather than a knock on Alexander, especially considering the fact that he produced in St. Louis on a very limited amount of snaps. To put things in perspective, in his first game of the 2011 season, he finished with 3 receptions, 122 yards and 1 TD. In that same contest, he saw the field for a mere 16 snaps. The injury concerns will always follow him. But he showed last season that he could still thrive despite his medical, just as he did in Missouri. I also wouldn't refer to him as a veteran compared to the other three names. Alexander is significantly younger than all three. Even with the concerns about his knee, considering that he wouldn't be worth a draft pick, I believe that he's definitely worth looking into. He'd be a perfect complement opposite of Torrey Smith.

Edited by -Truth-, 27 March 2013 - 08:08 PM.

Posted Image

#7 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

The Rams cutting Danario Alexander should have absolutely no bearing on his current status. In retrospect, it seems like a significant gaff on their part rather than a knock on Alexander, especially considering the fact that he produced in St. Louis on a very limited amount of snaps. To put things in perspective, in his first game of the 2011 season, he finished with 3 receptions, 122 yards and 1 TD. In that same contest, he saw the field for a mere 16 snaps. The injury concerns will always follow him. But he showed last season that he could thrive, just as he did in Missouri. I also wouldn't refer to him as a veteran compared to the other three names. Alexander is significantly younger than all three. Even with the concerns about his knee, considering that he wouldn't be worth a draft pick, I believe that he's definitely worth looking into. He'd be a perfect complement opposite of Torrey Smith.

I really want the guy. I don't know if we even have enough to pay draft picks considering we have 12 of them. It won't happen but I'm trying to work out a scenario in which it could. I'm very surprised another team hasn't tried to grab him.

2yno6dx.png

#8 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,719 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:09 PM

The Rams cutting Danario Alexander should have absolutely no bearing on his current status. In retrospect, it seems like a significant gaff on their part rather than a knock on Alexander, especially considering the fact that he produced in St. Louis on a very limited amount of snaps. To put things in perspective, in his first game of the 2011 season, he finished with 3 receptions, 122 yards and 1 TD. In that same contest, he saw the field for a mere 16 snaps. The injury concerns will always follow him. But he showed last season that he could thrive, just as he did in Missouri. I also wouldn't refer to him as a veteran compared to the other three names. Alexander is significantly younger than all three. Even with the concerns about his knee, considering that he wouldn't be worth a draft pick, I believe that he's definitely worth looking into. He'd be a perfect complement opposite of Torrey Smith.

It absolutely should have a bearing given they cut because of his health most likely. And that really says something given Amendola's health.

Chargers took a gamble on him and it paid off this season. In similar fashion we saw that with both Jared Gaither and Andrew Bynum (in the nba). Eventually both teams got burned by their injuries (Philly and SD).

As for whether or not he is looking into, given our cap situation, I dont think it is. The Chargers can match any low ball offer we throw out and what it would take to outbid them or force them to match is likely not worth it with the injury concern.

#9 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

The Rams cutting Danario Alexander should have absolutely no bearing on his current status. In retrospect, it seems like a significant gaff on their part rather than a knock on Alexander, especially considering the fact that he produced in St. Louis on a very limited amount of snaps. To put things in perspective, in his first game of the 2011 season, he finished with 3 receptions, 122 yards and 1 TD. In that same contest, he saw the field for a mere 16 snaps. The injury concerns will always follow him. But he showed last season that he could still thrive despite his medical, just as he did in Missouri. I also wouldn't refer to him as a veteran compared to the other three names. Alexander is significantly younger than all three. Even with the concerns about his knee, considering that he wouldn't be worth a draft pick, I believe that he's definitely worth looking into. He'd be a perfect complement opposite of Torrey Smith.

I agree he would be an excellent complement to Torrey. I think Alexander is a Hell of a player. With that said, if he is as good as you say, why would they put ROFR on him? Why did the Rams cut him? Sure, that was a hindsight dumb move. Okay. Give you that. But why wouldn't the Patriots or Dolphins have signed him?

Sometimes I think we overrate guys and I feel like this is a situation where that applies. I could name you teams who would overpay for him and give him big deals who have big needs at WR. Why haven't they knocked down the door? I think that's very telling.

I'd love to hear you explain this one. You know I respect your opinion and feel like we share mind, but in this we do not stand as equal.

#10 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,748 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:36 PM

He had a great run last season but I'd rather see the team develop a similarly-built player in Streeter.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 27 March 2013 - 08:49 PM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#11 pitchblack_20

pitchblack_20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:39 PM

Is this where we are with our cap ?
http://www.nfl.com/n...r-each-nfl-team

#12 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

It could be, but I don't believe the tenders applied to Dickson, Pitta apply until signed. I could be wrong, though.

#13 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:40 PM

It absolutely should have a bearing given they cut because of his health most likely. And that really says something given Amendola's health.

Chargers took a gamble on him and it paid off this season. In similar fashion we saw that with both Jared Gaither and Andrew Bynum (in the nba). Eventually both teams got burned by their injuries (Philly and SD).

As for whether or not he is looking into, given our cap situation, I dont think it is. The Chargers can match any low ball offer we throw out and what it would take to outbid them or force them to match is likely not worth it with the injury concern.

It should absolutely not have any bearing considering that he was on the field enough for San Diego to clearly produce as their #1 WR through that span. Even with signing practically midway through the season, he played 500 snaps in 2012, just 165 less than he had in his first two seasons combined. Had he been signed earlier, he would've projected to have seen more snaps than the likes of Julio Jones, Dwayne Bowe and Michael Crabtree.

It's silly to outwardly assume that he's destined for failure in 2013 just because of the situations of Gaither and Bynum. Neither player was able to maintain their health just before playing for their respective teams. Gaither started 5 games since 2010, and Bynum at least missed 50 in his last two seasons. In the case of Alexander, he at least showed that he's capable of staying on the field. The St. Louis situation would've been much more relevant had he not played last season. His health will always be a concern, but putting stock in his later time with the Rams rather than his current stint with the Chargers is nonsensical.

Per spotrac.com, we actually have more cap room than they do, so the money situation shouldn't hold us back.

Posted Image

#14 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,737 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

I don't think so. They only have 41 players factored in. It looks like Dickson, Pitta, and of course Huff have yet to be added.

#15 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

He's a good complement to the receivers we already have, but as it's already been mentioned his knees are currently comprised of pudding.

#16 Yatagarasu

Yatagarasu

The Crow-God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Why don't we give Alexander a two year $5 million that's low guaranteed cap this year and highly incentive next year. Jury is out on Doss. Streeter might still be a project at year 2, the rest are basically special teamers and aren't considered starting WR at this point. Jacoby is nice as a vertical #3, but we have to see if he can handle more stuff on his plate. In Houston, he failed to turn out as a #2, but at least he revived his career here as an All-Pro all-purpose threat.

#17 pitchblack_20

pitchblack_20

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

Why don't we give Alexander a two year $5 million that's low guaranteed cap this year and highly incentive next year. Jury is out on Doss. Streeter might still be a project at year 2, the rest are basically special teamers and aren't considered starting WR at this point. Jacoby is nice as a vertical #3, but we have to see if he can handle more stuff on his plate. In Houston, he failed to turn out as a #2, but at least he revived his career here as an All-Pro all-purpose threat.

Doubt it

#18 -Truth-

-Truth-

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,656 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

I agree he would be an excellent complement to Torrey. I think Alexander is a Hell of a player. With that said, if he is as good as you say, why would they put ROFR on him? Why did the Rams cut him? Sure, that was a hindsight dumb move. Okay. Give you that. But why wouldn't the Patriots or Dolphins have signed him?

Sometimes I think we overrate guys and I feel like this is a situation where that applies. I could name you teams who would overpay for him and give him big deals who have big needs at WR. Why haven't they knocked down the door? I think that's very telling.

I'd love to hear you explain this one. You know I respect your opinion and feel like we share mind, but in this we do not stand as equal.

And I bet you both of those teams were sorely regretting after watching him from the outside looking in. Your point is that Alexander meriting little interest before his signing either rivals or even supersedes his production last season, which is quite frankly ludicrous. Potential repercussions from medical concerns have the tendency of scaring away a significant amount of suitors. After showing the capacity of playing very well at the NFL's most glamorous position, Drew Brees merited interest from only the Saints and the Dolphins solely because of his medical. I would assume that the teams who shied away from Brees are still having nightmares about it, so the risk factor can be a two-way street.

Overrate how? I'm advocating that we simply kick the tires on a situation wherein we could land a quality talent without parting with a draft selection, not that we do away with current players and picks in order to sign him. I could care less about the interest of other teams with comparison to actual potential and production. Your point insinuates that FOs aren't prone to making mistakes, which seems rather unreasonable.

Posted Image

#19 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,077 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

And I bet you both of those teams were sorely regretting after watching him from the outside looking in. Your point is that Alexander meriting little interest before his signing either rivals or even supersedes his production last season, which is quite frankly ludicrous. Potential repercussions from medical concerns have the tendency of scaring away a significant amount of suitors. After showing the capacity of playing very well at the NFL's most glamorous position, Drew Brees merited interest from only the Saints and the Dolphins solely because of his medical. I would assume that the teams who shied away from Brees are still having nightmares about it, so the risk factor can be a two-way street.

Overrate how? I'm advocating that we simply kick the tires on a situation wherein we could land a quality talent without parting with a draft selection, not that we do away with current players and picks in order to sign him. I could care less about the interest of other teams with comparison to actual potential and production. Your point insinuates that FOs aren't prone to making mistakes, which seems rather unreasonable.

What do you mean those teams regret it? They could sign him right now if they wanted. That was what I was alluding. I didn't imply they could have signed him last year, though I can see how you would feel that way as I suppose they did have a shot (not sure, though, how that worked with waivers as I am sure the Pats didn't have a shot).

That isn't my point, either, and quite frankly I find the idea of you basing your argument off one season and one game as ludicrous if you want to go in that direction with this argument. My point is as of now he has not gained any interest as a ROFR RFA, the lowest possible tender available. I ask you why? Why would he receive such a tender? Does that not raise any flags in your mind? You can't simply ignore that aspect. For me, it raises flags that the Rams cut him but more importantly that the Chargers dediced to place the lowest possible tender they could on him after the season he had with them--the good season!

If the Patriots, Dolphins, Vikings wanted they could sign him to an offer sheet that would far exceed the Ravens. Hell, the Dolphins should have signed him over Gibson. That's a dumb move. But I just wonder why? Why haven't teams given him an offer sheet? I don't deny teams can make mistakes, but you're talking about 31 teams passing on him (32 if you include the Chargers as having placed the lowest tender).

I don't deny it's a good idea to kick the tires. I also never stated YOU overrated players; I merely stated "we", including even myself in the discussion. Perhaps read my sentence fully before commenting on the specifics.

Also, I believe and can be mistaken here but don't we have to sign him to a contract that exceeds his ROFR hit? That would mean we would have to give him some money, at least more than San Diego. Where do we get the money? Who would you want us to cut? It's not like we can get him vet minimum or on some deal where he can be cut before week 1 and not cost us anything.

If you give him a deal, then you also have to consider who doesn't get paid in 2014? Who do you let go? Arthur Jones? Dennis Pitta? Michael Oher? Sure, he's 24yo, but that doesn't make him better than those three players or any more important.

Finally, my point isn't that FO aren't prone to mistakes, but rather it's strange that nearly 32 teams would pass on him with such a tender. I just find it strange that the tender is so low with such a high risk of him being taken from the Chargers.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 27 March 2013 - 09:21 PM.

#20 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

What do you mean those teams regret it? They could sign him right now if they wanted. That was what I was alluding. I didn't imply they could have signed him last year, though I can see how you would feel that way as I suppose they did have a shot (not sure, though, how that worked with waivers as I am sure the Pats didn't have a shot).

That isn't my point, either, and quite frankly I find the idea of you basing your argument off one season and one game as ludicrous if you want to go in that direction with this argument. My point is as of now he has not gained any interest as a ROFR RFA, the lowest possible tender available. I ask you why? Why would he receive such a tender? Does that not raise any flags in your mind? You can't simply ignore that aspect. For me, it raises flags that the Rams cut him but more importantly that the Chargers dediced to place the lowest possible tender they could on him after the season he had with them--the good season!

If the Patriots, Dolphins, Vikings wanted they could sign him to an offer sheet that would far exceed the Ravens. Hell, the Dolphins should have signed him over Gibson. That's a dumb move. But I just wonder why? Why haven't teams given him an offer sheet? I don't deny teams can make mistakes, but you're talking about 31 teams passing on him (32 if you include the Chargers as having placed the lowest tender).

I don't deny it's a good idea to kick the tires. I also never stated YOU overrated players; I merely stated "we", including even myself in the discussion. Perhaps read my sentence fully before commenting on the specifics.

Also, I believe and can be mistaken here but don't we have to sign him to a contract that exceeds his ROFR hit? That would mean we would have to give him some money, at least more than San Diego. Where do we get the money? Who would you want us to cut? It's not like we can get him vet minimum or on some deal where he can be cut before week 1 and not cost us anything.

If you give him a deal, then you also have to consider who doesn't get paid in 2014? Who do you let go? Arthur Jones? Dennis Pitta? Michael Oher? Sure, he's 24yo, but that doesn't make him better than those three players or any more important.

Finally, my point isn't that FO aren't prone to mistakes, but rather it's strange that nearly 32 teams would pass on him with such a tender. I just find it strange that the tender is so low with such a high risk of him being taken from the Chargers.

Isn't an original round tender like $1mill?

Why would we have to cut someone to sign him?
Google me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users