Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhstandard

Denario Alexander?

63 posts in this topic

Guy was given an original round tender which, since he was an undrafted rookie, is none. We are around 3-4 million under cap the last time I checked so an offer which the Chargers can't match may seem unreasonable. However, it seems that they are concerned that he has had 5 knee surgeries before.

I doubt we make a play for him considering all the circumstances, but he is young player who has proven he can fit in with this league. Could help us open up our draft options.

[quote name='dhstandard' timestamp='1364431873' post='1417977']
Guy was given an original round tender which, since he was an undrafted rookie, is none. We are around 6.5 million under cap the last time I checked so an offer which the Chargers can't match may seem unreasonable. However, it seems that they are concerned that he has had 5 knee surgeries before.

I doubt we make a play for him considering all the circumstances, but he is young player who has proven he can fit in with this league. Could help us open up our draft options.
[/quote]
We are at about 3 mil I believe. Chargers should match anything we can offer him and his knees are almost nonexistent. Not worth it.

Eh. I like Alexander but he has had issues with health. That's a risk. It's also surprising the Chargers gave him that tender, as well as surprising that the Rams cut him. Those are flags for me.

I'd rather we extend guys like Jones, Pitta, Oher than spend any more on vets.

[quote name='Sizzlebshu' timestamp='1364432105' post='1417989']
We are at about 3 mil I believe. Chargers should match anything we can offer him and his knees are almost nonexistent. Not worth it.
[/quote]

You're right. I forgot to include Dumervil's contract since it wasn't added yet.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1364432203' post='1417992']
Eh. I like Alexander but he has had issues with health. That's a risk. It's also surprising the Chargers gave him that tender, as well as surprising that the Rams cut him. Those are flags for me.

[/quote]

He's 24...

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1364432203' post='1417992']

[/quote]

The Rams cutting Danario Alexander should have absolutely no bearing on his current status. In retrospect, it seems like a significant gaff on their part rather than a knock on Alexander, especially considering the fact that he produced in St. Louis on a very limited amount of snaps. To put things in perspective, in his first game of the 2011 season, he finished with 3 receptions, 122 yards and 1 TD. In that same contest, he saw the field for a mere 16 snaps. The injury concerns will always follow him. But he showed last season that he could still thrive despite his medical, just as he did in Missouri. I also wouldn't refer to him as a veteran compared to the other three names. Alexander is significantly younger than all three. Even with the concerns about his knee, considering that he wouldn't be worth a draft pick, I believe that he's definitely worth looking into. He'd be a perfect complement opposite of Torrey Smith.

[quote name='-Truth-' timestamp='1364432656' post='1418006']
The Rams cutting Danario Alexander should have absolutely no bearing on his current status. In retrospect, it seems like a significant gaff on their part rather than a knock on Alexander, especially considering the fact that he produced in St. Louis on a very limited amount of snaps. To put things in perspective, in his first game of the 2011 season, he finished with 3 receptions, 122 yards and 1 TD. In that same contest, he saw the field for a mere 16 snaps. The injury concerns will always follow him. But he showed last season that he could thrive, just as he did in Missouri. I also wouldn't refer to him as a veteran compared to the other three names. Alexander is significantly younger than all three. Even with the concerns about his knee, considering that he wouldn't be worth a draft pick, I believe that he's definitely worth looking into. He'd be a perfect complement opposite of Torrey Smith.
[/quote]

I really want the guy. I don't know if we even have enough to pay draft picks considering we have 12 of them. It won't happen but I'm trying to work out a scenario in which it could. I'm very surprised another team hasn't tried to grab him.

The Rams cutting Danario Alexander should have absolutely no bearing on his current status. In retrospect, it seems like a significant gaff on their part rather than a knock on Alexander, especially considering the fact that he produced in St. Louis on a very limited amount of snaps. To put things in perspective, in his first game of the 2011 season, he finished with 3 receptions, 122 yards and 1 TD. In that same contest, he saw the field for a mere 16 snaps. The injury concerns will always follow him. But he showed last season that he could thrive, just as he did in Missouri. I also wouldn't refer to him as a veteran compared to the other three names. Alexander is significantly younger than all three. Even with the concerns about his knee, considering that he wouldn't be worth a draft pick, I believe that he's definitely worth looking into. He'd be a perfect complement opposite of Torrey Smith.
[/quote]
It absolutely should have a bearing given they cut because of his health most likely. And that really says something given Amendola's health.

Chargers took a gamble on him and it paid off this season. In similar fashion we saw that with both Jared Gaither and Andrew Bynum (in the nba). Eventually both teams got burned by their injuries (Philly and SD).

As for whether or not he is looking into, given our cap situation, I dont think it is. The Chargers can match any low ball offer we throw out and what it would take to outbid them or force them to match is likely not worth it with the injury concern.

The Rams cutting Danario Alexander should have absolutely no bearing on his current status. In retrospect, it seems like a significant gaff on their part rather than a knock on Alexander, especially considering the fact that he produced in St. Louis on a very limited amount of snaps. To put things in perspective, in his first game of the 2011 season, he finished with 3 receptions, 122 yards and 1 TD. In that same contest, he saw the field for a mere 16 snaps. The injury concerns will always follow him. But he showed last season that he could still thrive despite his medical, just as he did in Missouri. I also wouldn't refer to him as a veteran compared to the other three names. Alexander is significantly younger than all three. Even with the concerns about his knee, considering that he wouldn't be worth a draft pick, I believe that he's definitely worth looking into. He'd be a perfect complement opposite of Torrey Smith.
[/quote]
I agree he would be an excellent complement to Torrey. I think Alexander is a Hell of a player. With that said, if he is as good as you say, why would they put ROFR on him? Why did the Rams cut him? Sure, that was a hindsight dumb move. Okay. Give you that. But why wouldn't the Patriots or Dolphins have signed him?

Sometimes I think we overrate guys and I feel like this is a situation where that applies. I could name you teams who would overpay for him and give him big deals who have big needs at WR. Why haven't they knocked down the door? I think that's very telling.

I'd love to hear you explain this one. You know I respect your opinion and feel like we share mind, but in this we do not stand as equal.

Is this where we are with our cap ?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154634/article/remaining-salarycap-space-for-each-nfl-team

[quote name='pitchblack_20' timestamp='1364434748' post='1418045']
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154634/article/remaining-salarycap-space-for-each-nfl-team
[/quote]
It could be, but I don't believe the tenders applied to Dickson, Pitta apply until signed. I could be wrong, though.

[quote name='Sizzlebshu' timestamp='1364432970' post='1418012']
It absolutely should have a bearing given they cut because of his health most likely. And that really says something given Amendola's health.

Chargers took a gamble on him and it paid off this season. In similar fashion we saw that with both Jared Gaither and Andrew Bynum (in the nba). Eventually both teams got burned by their injuries (Philly and SD).

As for whether or not he is looking into, given our cap situation, I dont think it is. The Chargers can match any low ball offer we throw out and what it would take to outbid them or force them to match is likely not worth it with the injury concern.
[/quote]

It should absolutely not have any bearing considering that he was on the field enough for San Diego to clearly produce as their #1 WR through that span. Even with signing practically midway through the season, he played 500 snaps in 2012, just 165 less than he had in his first two seasons combined. Had he been signed earlier, he would've projected to have seen more snaps than the likes of Julio Jones, Dwayne Bowe and Michael Crabtree.

It's silly to outwardly assume that he's destined for failure in 2013 just because of the situations of Gaither and Bynum. Neither player was able to maintain their health just before playing for their respective teams. Gaither started 5 games since 2010, and Bynum at least missed 50 in his last two seasons. In the case of Alexander, he at least showed that he's capable of staying on the field. The St. Louis situation would've been much more relevant had he not played last season. His health will always be a concern, but putting stock in his later time with the Rams rather than his current stint with the Chargers is nonsensical.

Per spotrac.com, we actually have more cap room than they do, so the money situation shouldn't hold us back.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154634/article/remaining-salarycap-space-for-each-nfl-team"]http://www.nfl.com/n...r-each-nfl-team[/url]
[/quote]

I don't think so. They only have 41 players factored in. It looks like Dickson, Pitta, and of course Huff have yet to be added.

He's a good complement to the receivers we already have, but as it's already been mentioned his knees are currently comprised of pudding.

Why don't we give Alexander a two year $5 million that's low guaranteed cap this year and highly incentive next year. Jury is out on Doss. Streeter might still be a project at year 2, the rest are basically special teamers and aren't considered starting WR at this point. Jacoby is nice as a vertical #3, but we have to see if he can handle more stuff on his plate. In Houston, he failed to turn out as a #2, but at least he revived his career here as an All-Pro all-purpose threat.

[quote name='Corvus Amplus' timestamp='1364435156' post='1418062']
Why don't we give Alexander a two year $5 million that's low guaranteed cap this year and highly incentive next year. [b]Jury is out on Doss[/b]. Streeter might still be a project at year 2, the rest are basically special teamers and aren't considered starting WR at this point. Jacoby is nice as a vertical #3, but we have to see if he can handle more stuff on his plate. In Houston, he failed to turn out as a #2, but at least he revived his career here as an All-Pro all-purpose threat.
[/quote]
Doubt it

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1364433997' post='1418029']
I agree he would be an excellent complement to Torrey. I think Alexander is a Hell of a player. With that said, if he is as good as you say, why would they put ROFR on him? Why did the Rams cut him? Sure, that was a hindsight dumb move. Okay. Give you that. But why wouldn't the Patriots or Dolphins have signed him?

Sometimes I think we overrate guys and I feel like this is a situation where that applies. I could name you teams who would overpay for him and give him big deals who have big needs at WR. Why haven't they knocked down the door? I think that's very telling.

I'd love to hear you explain this one. You know I respect your opinion and feel like we share mind, but in this we do not stand as equal.
[/quote]

And I bet you both of those teams were sorely regretting after watching him from the outside looking in. Your point is that Alexander meriting little interest before his signing either rivals or even supersedes his production last season, which is quite frankly ludicrous. Potential repercussions from medical concerns have the tendency of scaring away a significant amount of suitors. After showing the capacity of playing very well at the NFL's most glamorous position, Drew Brees merited interest from only the Saints and the Dolphins solely because of his medical. I would assume that the teams who shied away from Brees are still having nightmares about it, so the risk factor can be a two-way street.

Overrate how? I'm advocating that we simply kick the tires on a situation wherein we could land a quality talent without parting with a draft selection, not that we do away with current players and picks in order to sign him. I could care less about the interest of other teams with comparison to actual potential and production. Your point insinuates that FOs aren't prone to making mistakes, which seems rather unreasonable.

[quote name='-Truth-' timestamp='1364436006' post='1418075']

And I bet you both of those teams were sorely regretting after watching him from the outside looking in. Your point is that Alexander meriting little interest before his signing either rivals or even supersedes his production last season, which is quite frankly ludicrous. Potential repercussions from medical concerns have the tendency of scaring away a significant amount of suitors. After showing the capacity of playing very well at the NFL's most glamorous position, Drew Brees merited interest from only the Saints and the Dolphins solely because of his medical. I would assume that the teams who shied away from Brees are still having nightmares about it, so the risk factor can be a two-way street.

Overrate how? I'm advocating that we simply kick the tires on a situation wherein we could land a quality talent without parting with a draft selection, not that we do away with current players and picks in order to sign him. I could care less about the interest of other teams with comparison to actual potential and production. Your point insinuates that FOs aren't prone to making mistakes, which seems rather unreasonable.
[/quote]
What do you mean those teams regret it? They could sign him right now if they wanted. That was what I was alluding. I didn't imply they could have signed him last year, though I can see how you would feel that way as I suppose they did have a shot (not sure, though, how that worked with waivers as I am sure the Pats didn't have a shot).

That isn't my point, either, and quite frankly I find the idea of you basing your argument off one season and one game as ludicrous if you want to go in that direction with this argument. My point is as of now he has not gained any interest as a ROFR RFA, the lowest possible tender available. I ask you why? Why would he receive such a tender? Does that not raise any flags in your mind? You can't simply ignore that aspect. For me, it raises flags that the Rams cut him but more importantly that the Chargers dediced to place the lowest possible tender they could on him after the season he had with them--the good season!

If the Patriots, Dolphins, Vikings wanted they could sign him to an offer sheet that would far exceed the Ravens. Hell, the Dolphins should have signed him over Gibson. That's a dumb move. But I just wonder why? Why haven't teams given him an offer sheet? I don't deny teams can make mistakes, but you're talking about 31 teams passing on him (32 if you include the Chargers as having placed the lowest tender).

I don't deny it's a good idea to kick the tires. I also never stated YOU overrated players; I merely stated "we", including even myself in the discussion. Perhaps read my sentence fully before commenting on the specifics.

Also, I believe and can be mistaken here but don't we have to sign him to a contract that exceeds his ROFR hit? That would mean we would have to give him some money, at least more than San Diego. Where do we get the money? Who would you want us to cut? It's not like we can get him vet minimum or on some deal where he can be cut before week 1 and not cost us anything.

If you give him a deal, then you also have to consider who doesn't get paid in 2014? Who do you let go? Arthur Jones? Dennis Pitta? Michael Oher? Sure, he's 24yo, but that doesn't make him better than those three players or any more important.

Finally, my point isn't that FO aren't prone to mistakes, but rather it's strange that nearly 32 teams would pass on him with such a tender. I just find it strange that the tender is so low with such a high risk of him being taken from the Chargers.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1364437155' post='1418094']

What do you mean those teams regret it? They could sign him right now if they wanted. That was what I was alluding. I didn't imply they could have signed him last year, though I can see how you would feel that way as I suppose they did have a shot (not sure, though, how that worked with waivers as I am sure the Pats didn't have a shot).

That isn't my point, either, and quite frankly I find the idea of you basing your argument off one season and one game as ludicrous if you want to go in that direction with this argument. My point is as of now he has not gained any interest as a ROFR RFA, the lowest possible tender available. I ask you why? Why would he receive such a tender? Does that not raise any flags in your mind? You can't simply ignore that aspect. For me, it raises flags that the Rams cut him but more importantly that the Chargers dediced to place the lowest possible tender they could on him after the season he had with them--the good season!

If the Patriots, Dolphins, Vikings wanted they could sign him to an offer sheet that would far exceed the Ravens. Hell, the Dolphins should have signed him over Gibson. That's a dumb move. But I just wonder why? Why haven't teams given him an offer sheet? I don't deny teams can make mistakes, but you're talking about 31 teams passing on him (32 if you include the Chargers as having placed the lowest tender).

I don't deny it's a good idea to kick the tires. I also never stated YOU overrated players; I merely stated "we", including even myself in the discussion. Perhaps read my sentence fully before commenting on the specifics.

Also, I believe and can be mistaken here but don't we have to sign him to a contract that exceeds his ROFR hit? That would mean we would have to give him some money, at least more than San Diego. Where do we get the money? Who would you want us to cut? It's not like we can get him vet minimum or on some deal where he can be cut before week 1 and not cost us anything.

If you give him a deal, then you also have to consider who doesn't get paid in 2014? Who do you let go? Arthur Jones? Dennis Pitta? Michael Oher? Sure, he's 24yo, but that doesn't make him better than those three players or any more important.

Finally, my point isn't that FO aren't prone to mistakes, but rather it's strange that nearly 32 teams would pass on him with such a tender. I just find it strange that the tender is so low with such a high risk of him being taken from the Chargers.
[/quote]

Isn't an original round tender like $1mill?

Why would we have to cut someone to sign him?

[quote name='BOLDnPurPnBlacK' timestamp='1364438475' post='1418107']
Isn't an original round tender like $1mill?

Why would we have to cut someone to sign him?
[/quote]
ROFR is 1.32M for Alexander.

The question is can he stay healthy? He has battled through some injuries since college, which is why he was even a UDFA to begin with in 2010. He clearly has had some bouts with injuries. He offers nothing on ST. He has #1 potential but that doesn't matter if he doesn't see the field or is on IR. He is most likely looking for a contract so I doubt he leaves SD unless the money exceeds what SD would offer, which would possibly be uncharacteristic of the Ravens FO and how we do business. Furthermore, you would most likely be cutting Leach unless we decide to restructure someone, which Ozzie isn't keen on doing though it's possible if the right player is there. Leach could also be cut regardless. You can also argue that Alexander is the right player.

I'm not arguing the fact that Alexander would be a nice player. He's got a great upside. I even said as much. My argument stems from the fact that I find it perplexing that not a single team in the NFL has raided him yet. I wonder what we don't know about him. I just can't ignore the fact that 31 teams in the NFL have not yet tried to steal him from the Chargers, including us. I'd love him here, I just have my doubts. It's the fact that he is still available so cheap that makes me really cautious. It's almost like "What are they not telling us here?"

Also, depending on what kind of contract you give him you run the risk of losing guys next year like Arthur Jones, Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson, Michael Oher. I understand that Alexander is younger than those players, but he has also been more injury-prone as well.

Being that he is a restricted free agent, if we want him, there is no risk in making him an offer that we think he's worth. At best, we get a quality player for a price we can live with. At worst, the Chargers want him back, so they top our offer. I like him, but I'll trust our FO to make the right decision.

[url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000154634/article/remaining-salarycap-space-for-each-nfl-team"]http://www.nfl.com/n...r-each-nfl-team[/url]
[/quote]

I think that is correct every source I go to has us at about that number. I'm not sure why it says 41 players under contract though.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1364437155' post='1418094']

[/quote]

I obviously meant that both of those teams could've used a player of his caliber for the next-to-nothing price he played under last season, a price that will likely be somewhat higher this season.

It's nowhere near ludicrous, as it's not simply one season, but rather the most recent season. The main issue you've raised revolves around his medical. Since the first game wherein he was given snaps as a Charger, Alexander played all but 9 snaps in every single contest. Having kept up on Alexander since his Missouri days, I clearly recall that the chief concern regarding his knee was that the damage could be degenerative. Therefore, considering that the injury is seen as potentially progressive, the most recent season is easily be the most important when evaluating his health. I've presented a similar scenario wherein an injury potential scared away any long-term commitment. In his two seasons prior, Drew Brees averaged 3,300+ passing yards, 25 TDs, 11 INTs and a QB rating of 97.0. 30 teams passed on a potential Franchise QB, and all solely because of the shoulder injury. Not only did he perform well beforehand, but Brees excelled, missing a single contest throughout that span. Yet he gathered almost no interest on the open market, which in retrospect was an obvious blunder on the part of the ball clubs with a need for a signal caller. Even with the insider information, teams can be just as wrong regarding the perceived health and future longevity of a prospect as they can be right about them. With human error being unavoidable, when assessing a situation, I am personally much more compelled to base my evaluation off of the details at hand as opposed to the opinions of others regarding them.

That is the main bullet point of my entire argument, which you happen to agree with. We agree that Alexander is an impressive talent, that he has significant injury concerns and that simply kicking the tires isn't the worst of ideas. Your sentence stated, "Sometimes I think we overrate guys and I feel like this is a situation where that applies." You replied directly to my response, and used the term, "we," which then indirectly applies to myself. It's a little baffling that this logic was lost in the rebuttal.

Your point about forgoing other extensions works completely against your point about the near league-wide lack of interest. With Alexander being given an original tender, practically any offer he would receive would outweigh his current one. This would mean that an offer of $3 million/2 year without a guaranteed amount would surpass it and likely suffice. He's never had a contract above the league minimum. None of those contracts have ever offered a guaranteed amount. Given that he's still on the Chargers' roster, there has been zero indication that he wouldn't be willing to accept a contract that offers no guaranteed salary if the base salary is a little higher, as he'd be on an obvious contender while earning a higher amount. Therefore, your point about losing future FAs likely wouldn't even apply.

I have a significant concern regarding Alexander's medical status. It is well documented, as I've mentioned it in practically every single post wherein I've mentioned his name. However, with that in mind, I disdain the notion that I'm expected to automatically raise those concerns to match the level of the teams' presumed concerns. The only aspects that I am to worry about are the specifics of the situation. Twenty art critics can look at a masterpiece and undermine the same attraction that is evident to a mere commoner. The former wouldn't make the said work of art any less of a masterpiece. While I am inclined to take their opinion into account to a degree, allowing it to rival that of my personal assessment out of some misguided feelings of contrasting inferiority and apprehension of contesting the norm would be nothing short of asinine. And I have no interest in participating in a modern-day Asch conformity experiment.

[quote name='-Truth-' timestamp='1364450168' post='1418216']
I obviously meant that both of those teams could've used a player of his caliber for the next-to-nothing price he played under last season, a price that will likely be somewhat higher this season.

It's nowhere near ludicrous, as it's not simply one season, but rather the most recent season. The main issue you've raised revolves around his medical. Since the first game wherein he was given snaps as a Charger, Alexander played all but 9 snaps in every single contest. Having kept up on Alexander since his Missouri days, I clearly recall that the chief concern regarding his knee was that the damage could be degenerative. Therefore, considering that the injury is seen as potentially progressive, the most recent season is easily be the most important when evaluating his health. I've presented a similar scenario wherein an injury potential scared away any long-term commitment. In his two seasons prior, Drew Brees averaged 3,300+ passing yards, 25 TDs, 11 INTs and a QB rating of 97.0. 30 teams passed on a potential Franchise QB, and all solely because of the shoulder injury. Not only did he perform well beforehand, but Brees excelled, missing a single contest throughout that span. Yet he gathered almost no interest on the open market, which in retrospect was an obvious blunder on the part of the ball clubs with a need for a signal caller. Even with the insider information, teams can be just as wrong regarding the perceived health and future longevity of a prospect as they can be right about them. With human error being unavoidable, when assessing a situation, I am personally much more compelled to base my evaluation off of the details at hand as opposed to the opinions of others regarding them.

That is the main bullet point of my entire argument, which you happen to agree with. We agree that Alexander is an impressive talent, that he has significant injury concerns and that simply kicking the tires isn't the worst of ideas. Your sentence stated, "Sometimes I think we overrate guys and I feel like this is a situation where that applies." You replied directly to my response, and used the term, "we," which then indirectly applies to myself. It's a little baffling that this logic was lost in the rebuttal.

Your point about forgoing other extensions works completely against your point about the near league-wide lack of interest. With Alexander being given an original tender, practically any offer he would receive would outweigh his current one. This would mean that an offer of $3 million/2 year without a guaranteed amount would surpass it and likely suffice. He's never had a contract above the league minimum. None of those contracts have ever offered a guaranteed amount. Given that he's still on the Chargers' roster, there has been zero indication that he wouldn't be willing to accept a contract that offers no guaranteed salary if the base salary is a little higher, as he'd be on an obvious contender while earning a higher amount. Therefore, your point about losing future FAs likely wouldn't even apply.

I have a significant concern regarding Alexander's medical status. It is well documented, as I've mentioned it in practically every single post wherein I've mentioned his name. However, with that in mind, I disdain the notion that I'm expected to automatically raise those concerns to match the level of the teams' presumed concerns. The only aspects that I am to worry about are the specifics of the situation. Twenty art critics can look at a masterpiece and undermine the same attraction that is evident to a mere commoner. The former wouldn't make the said work of art any less of a masterpiece. While I am inclined to take their opinion into account to a degree, allowing it to rival that of my personal assessment out of some misguided feelings of contrasting inferiority and apprehension of contesting the norm would be nothing short of asinine. And I have no interest in participating in a modern-day Asch conformity experiment.
[/quote]WOW!! I wish I was this smart and can put into words what I am feeling like you can :)

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1364441006' post='1418151']
ROFR is 1.32M for Alexander.

The question is can he stay healthy? He has battled through some injuries since college, which is why he was even a UDFA to begin with in 2010. He clearly has had some bouts with injuries. He offers nothing on ST. He has #1 potential but that doesn't matter if he doesn't see the field or is on IR. He is most likely looking for a contract so I doubt he leaves SD unless the money exceeds what SD would offer, which would possibly be uncharacteristic of the Ravens FO and how we do business. Furthermore, you would most likely be cutting Leach unless we decide to restructure someone, which Ozzie isn't keen on doing though it's possible if the right player is there. Leach could also be cut regardless. You can also argue that Alexander is the right player.

I'm not arguing the fact that Alexander would be a nice player. He's got a great upside. I even said as much. My argument stems from the fact that I find it perplexing that not a single team in the NFL has raided him yet. I wonder what we don't know about him. I just can't ignore the fact that 31 teams in the NFL have not yet tried to steal him from the Chargers, including us. I'd love him here, I just have my doubts. It's the fact that he is still available so cheap that makes me really cautious. It's almost like "What are they not telling us here?"

Also, depending on what kind of contract you give him you run the risk of losing guys next year like Arthur Jones, Dennis Pitta, Ed Dickson, Michael Oher. I understand that Alexander is younger than those players, but he has also been more injury-prone as well.
[/quote] You are a smart guy also, one of my favorites here.. Between you n Truth I get all my information correct or corrected :)

[quote name='-Truth-' timestamp='1364450168' post='1418216']

[/quote]
Rather than debate this back and forth, I will lay out my opinion for you in a simplifier format, as I believe it has been lost here:

1. I really like Alexander, find him very talented, liked him out of Missouri, he has undeniable physical measurements with production to match. He has #1 potential.

2. He has had issues with health since before the league. These issues have not subsided. He continues to have injury concerns. He had a good year, but that's one out of three where he remained healthy. You even said so yourself that his injury concerns are legit.

3. This is the best year he has ever had. Is it the rule or an exception? In 2010, he had 20 receptions for 306 & 1 TD. That's really good. In 2011, he had 26 receptions for 431 yards & 2TDs. In 2012, he had 37 receptions for 658 yards & 7TDs. Impressive numbers for sure. Then again, I never denied his talent--I only question whether this is an exception to the rule or the rule.

4. This is the biggest factor for me right here. You also like to use the Drew Brees comparison. Not bad, but the Saints weren't the only team to recruit him. Alexander's market has been ice cold despite his tender. You still haven't actually answered that. You beat around the bush with your arguments, clearly avoiding it. I am sure you will claim you did answer it with Brees, but I frankly disagree.

Alexander has had an ice cold market. Nobody has taken him. Why not? If he is such a bargain, why have teams passed on him so far after his year in 2012? The Dolphins, Vikings, Patriots are three teams who could use him off the top of my head, especially the Pats who are NOTORIOUS for taking talent from other teams.

Yes, it's speculatory on my part and I know you will say FO make mistakes, but it's a little strange and you seem intelligent enough to recognize this fact so I doubt you are oblivious to it. Why have all these teams not signed him yet? Is there something I don't know? I'm not being sarcastic, either. I know it can sound that way when not spoken. I am genuinely asking why teams have not offered him an offer sheet yet.

I loved alexander and demaryius thomas in that draft but i think we should stick to our guns and take a long hard look a LaQuan Streeter Doss and Thompson

I was rallying for us to draft him a couple years back. He's a play maker, I don't see us going after him at all though. Health is a risk, and the Chargers aren't going to let him go easy. He will be a stud in the NFL for years to come if he can stay on the field.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1364435118' post='1418059']
He's a good complement to the receivers we already have, but as it's already been mentioned his knees are currently comprised of pudding.
[/quote][img]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22701292.jpg[/img]