Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BMORE_96

The Left Tackle Dilemma

317 posts in this topic

If there has been one position that has never been settled since flacco got here, its been Left tackle.The reason is we have won consistently. Left tackle is one of the few positions besides QB where it is hard to find a really good one beyond the 20th pick. It seems the only way out is to lose and get one in the top 10 but no one wants that.

So how can we finally find our Left tackle of the future?

[quote name='bMore Heathen' timestamp='1364419012' post='1417698']
Terron Armstead.
[/quote]snap

There are some talented players we could wait and take like Terron Armstead, Menelik Watson, Reid Fragel, Chris Faulk..

or we could try and trade up in one of our drafts..in 2008 (the year we drafted Flacco) we traded back from 8 to 26 (than traded up again)..but to move from 8 to 26 we got:

[quote]Traded 2008 first round pick (#26-Duane Brown), two 2008 third round picks (#71-Tavares Gooden) (#89-Steve Slaton), 2008 fourth round pick (#125-Arman Shields) to Ravens for 2008 first round pick (#8-Derrick Harvey) on 2008-04-26[/quote]

So we may be able to trade up to #10 if Lane Johnson (or one of the other big two) is there for our first, second, fourth and a sixth...not sure if it is worth it but its an option

The way I see it there will be about 4 tackles taken in the first round (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, and Long). Still, there will be several available through the 3rd or 4th. I don't recommend going after a tackle until the 2nd or 3rd round because we need an ILB (Te'o, Minter, etc.). I wouldn't mind taking Williams, Fragel, Armstead, or Watson in the 2nd. After that, it will be a crap shoot.

[quote name='Bazooka Joe' timestamp='1364419303' post='1417712']
Terron. But what about Chris Faulk?
[/quote]

We might be able to trade up in the 3rd to get Faulk or Cleary.

McKinney vs. Gaither in Hardcore DogHouse match.

Both stand there looking at each other.
McKinney says, "I need more money."
Gaither says, "Me too."
Then they both agree to go through the motions.
Neither one is hitting the other.

[quote name='CapoRocky' timestamp='1364419462' post='1417717']
The way I see it there will be about 4 tackles taken in the first round (Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson, and Long). Still, there will be several available through the 3rd or 4th. I don't recommend going after a tackle until the 2nd or 3rd round because we need an ILB (Te'o, Minter, etc.). I wouldn't mind taking Williams, Fragel, Armstead, or Watson in the 2nd. After that, it will be a crap shoot.
[/quote]Long is a Guard not a LT and shouldn't be taken before the late second.

Depth at guard might not be a bad idea, too. Long played Defensive End and switched to tackle in 2011. His father is Howie Long!

Oregon #74 Kyle Long Position: Offensive Lineman Height: 6'7" Weight: 311

we'll address this via draft ([color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Armstead being the only one we can get without moving up a lot) [/font][/color]and see what cuts are done through camps too, while mckinnie is still an option

Ok....I was looking at our roster because of our need at LT. I know there are talks of KO or Reid or Oher or even resigning McKinnie. However while i was looking I noticed a name. I remembered we signed this guy to a Futures contract and have not heard anything since...This guy is David Mims. I decided to do some research on him as well as the top tackles in the draft this year.

David Mims was a 3x All- CIAA and a 2x All American at Virginia Union.
6-8 1/4 331 lbs
His combine numbers were as follows:

5.32 40yd dash 26 inch vert 8'6" Broad and did 29 reps in the bench

This years class top OL prospect:

Luke Joeckel- 5.3 40 yd dash 28.5 Vert 7'11" broad 27 reps
Lane Johnson- 4.72 40 yddash 34 Vert 9'10 Broad 28 reps
Eric Fisher- 5.05 40 yd dash 28.5 vert 9'8" Broad 27 reps
Terron Armstead 4.71 40 yd dash 34.5 vert 9'4"Broad 31 reps

With those numbers he is equal or better then Joeckel and Fisher ( Considered the TOP 2 OL off the board ).

So I wonder where would have Mims gone in this draft....looks pretty good to me.

Anyway, I definatly see why we signed him away from the Chiefs with a Futures contract and I believe should be considered in the racr for the LT spot. I beleive we will draft a LT prospect in this draft...like a Chris Faulk in the 4th or if Armstead falls for some reason. Funny thing is this guy is already in house and knows our system......just saying. I know he is a small school product and I know nothing of his foot work or work ethic. However I know Ozzie normally wouldnt sign someone to a contract that is a scrub. Ozzie may have just striked again.....a year ago and we didnt even know it.

[quote name='MDCop' timestamp='1364423206' post='1417798']
Ok....I was looking at our roster because of our need at LT. I know there are talks of KO or Reid or Oher or even resigning McKinnie. However while i was looking I noticed a name. I remembered we signed this guy to a Futures contract and have not heard anything since...This guy is David Mims. I decided to do some research on him as well as the top tackles in the draft this year.

6-8 1/4 331 lbs

With those numbers he is equal or better then Joeckel and Fisher ( Considered the TOP 2 OL off the board ).

So I wonder where would have Mims gone in this draft....looks pretty good to me.

Anyway, I definatly see why we signed him away from the Chiefs with a Futures contract and I believe should be considered in the racr for the LT spot. I beleive we will draft a LT prospect in this draft...like a Chris Faulk in the 4th or if Armstead falls for some reason. Funny thing is this guy is already in house and knows our system......just saying. I know he is a small school product and I know nothing of his foot work or work ethic. However I know Ozzie normally wouldnt sign someone to a contract that is a scrub. Ozzie may have just striked again.....a year ago and we didnt even know it.
[/quote]Mims was considered the only LT with starting potential in the group of UDFAs' when he came out.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1364419126' post='1417702']
Terron Armstead
[/quote]

Do you guys really think he is LT worthy. I don't know a whole much about him, but have looked a little. He has decent size at 6'5 and long arms for his size too. However, do you think he is 1st round worthy, it seems like most are giving him a right tackle or guard grade.

[quote name='Miami Hurricane' timestamp='1364423501' post='1417803']
Mims was considered the only LT with starting potential in the group of UDFAs' when he came out.
[/quote]

Key word there is was. Mims was thought to have potential at LT, but after his time with the Chiefs, it was found out that he's likely limited to RT.

Mims was signed by us jan 3rd this year, 6-8 and 335 as per team roster page... i'll keep an eye on him through the camps now... can't believe i missed this signing

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1364423636' post='1417806']
Key word there is was. Mims was thought to have potential at LT, but after his time with the Chiefs, it was found out that he's likely limited to RT.
[/quote]

Castillo could do him good though

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1364423636' post='1417806']

[/quote]Do you have a link to this info?

Isn't Terron just a pure athlete though? I'm not pidgeon-holing him or anything nor am I entrenched as anti/pro Terron, so if someone wants to post some scouting reports o him then fine either way. :)

But I'd rather a more polished guy so we can keep protecting Joe (well, like B-Mac did) and keep winning now. Rather than a very athletic project type.

[quote name='dirtybird10' timestamp='1364423604' post='1417805']

Do you guys really think he is LT worthy. I don't know a whole much about him, but have looked a little. He has decent size at 6'5 and long arms for his size too. However, do you think he is 1st round worthy, it seems like most are giving him a right tackle or guard grade.
[/quote]id take him at 32 if Arthur brown isn't there yes. I'd rather try and trade back with a team in the top 8 looking a QB and pick up a fourth though.

[quote name='admartian' timestamp='1364423872' post='1417817']
Isn't Terron just a pure athlete though? I'm not pidgeon-holing him or anything nor am I entrenched as anti/pro Terron, so if someone wants to post some scouting reports o him then fine either way. :)

But I'd rather a more polished guy so we can keep protecting Joe (well, like B-Mac did) and keep winning now. Rather than a very athletic project type.
[/quote]Actually he is a very polished for a small school prospect. If you go into the draft thread and look at my mock my evaluation of him is there or you could just google "Terron Armstead Scouting Reports" or you could just watch his games yourself on YouTube.

[quote name='Miami Hurricane' timestamp='1364423773' post='1417814']
Do you have a link to this info?
[/quote]

Don't remember where I saw it at this point. I saw it when he signed the future deal with us in January. Maybe Twitter?

[quote name='BMORElegacy' timestamp='1364423958' post='1417821']
I want Lane Johnson. I think he has the highest ceiling of any of the tackle prospects.
[/quote]

we need to jump to 10 for him... i got chargers as done deal to pick him at 11... that'd take this year and next year's 1sts plus some more

If we can't jump up to draft Lane Johnson, I'd be okay with this

1st round, 32nd pick: Matt Elam

trade up in the 2nd round to select Armstead.

I've been looking at Armstead, and he'd be great to have then resign Bmac to a cheap deal at the end of FA. He's over there throwing those hip hop parties in Miami and on the east coast with people who are blowing smoke up his [profanity deleted], people who want to get in his lucrative social circle, djs telling him to go for the bread and such, handing him all kinds of kool-aid, but when the offers don't come in he'll take whatever to keep playing for a contender. He's gotta be excited even though his U buddies left, he's still close to Ray Rice telling him to come back and T-Sizzle doing the same.

It's funny, because Suggs doesn't brag about it the way Ray Lewis used to, but every signing they talk about how Suggs reached out via text or whatever, some personal form of communication and asked them to come to Baltimore.

Anyway, if Bmac absolutely doesn't want to come back: I'm okay with Armstead starting day 1.

Even Jah Reid can compete for that roster spot. I'm sure he does believe in himself.

6-8 1/4 331 lbs

[/quote]
I keep reading/hearing that the Ravens are saying they feel comfortable with the guys they have that can play LT. I just wrote it off as typical coach speak and gamesmanship leading up to the draft but then there was that interview with Brian Baldinger (of NFL Network) where he thinks KO can play LT. Now you mention this guy. Physically he seems a lot like Gaither who took a couple years to develop. We'll just have to wait and see I suppose.

[quote name='redrum52' timestamp='1364425870' post='1417871']
I'm waiting for a "Jared Gaither Anyone?" thread.
[/quote]

lol, the mods are in red alert since the news broke out

[quote name='horus13corvineus' timestamp='1364424487' post='1417840']
we need to jump to 10 for him... i got chargers as done deal to pick him at 11... that'd take this year and next year's 1sts plus some more
[/quote]I guy can dream. I recognize it would be reckless to pull an "Atlanta" but I just really really want him lol

[quote name='RavenzAllDay' timestamp='1364424927' post='1417854']
Jared Gaither......... Lol i like Terron Armstead though
[/quote]

[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/2lag12g.jpg[/img]

No. Just no. Injuries have completely derailed his career, it is physically impossible for him to play at an effective level.

[quote name='Bazooka Joe' timestamp='1364419677' post='1417722']

Gaither says, "Me too."
[/quote]
:TVWatchingSmiley: Fr***ing hilarious!

Terron Armstead is not NFL ready and athleticism is not an indicator that he will be, Bruce Campbell was another tackle nobody had ever heard of until he became the 2010 combine warrior.

[quote name='Bazooka Joe' timestamp='1364419677' post='1417722']

Gaither says, "Me too."
[/quote]

nice

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1364429223' post='1417932']
Terron Armstead is not NFL ready and athleticism is not an indicator that he will be, Bruce Campbell was another tackle nobody had ever heard of until he became the 2010 combine warrior.
[/quote]Except a lot of people raved about Armstead well before the combine... He also dominated the senior bowl if I remember correctly. Armstead is NFL ready in quite a few peoples opinions.

[quote name='redrum52' timestamp='1364425870' post='1417871']
I'm waiting for a "Jared Gaither Anyone?" thread.
[/quote]

Lol I started to do one. I had it all typed up but I couldn't hit the post button. He's not worth the vet minimum. Gaither should be on Ryan Leaf out of the league status. He has talent but he's lazy and only cares about himself. He'll play just good enough to get a contract and signing bonus. Once he gets it his back will suddenly start hurting again and he won't play again until contract time comes around.

[quote name='T3hRaven' timestamp='1364428032' post='1417915']

[img]http://i49.tinypic.com/2lag12g.jpg[/img]

No. Just no. Injuries have completely derailed his career, it is physically impossible for him to play at an effective level.
[/quote]

It was a joke if you couldn't tell!!!! Anybody that has some knowledge about football and the Ravens would not want him back here

[quote name='Miami Hurricane' timestamp='1364430403' post='1417949']
Except a lot of people raved about Armstead well before the combine... He also dominated the senior bowl if I remember correctly. Armstead is NFL ready in quite a few peoples opinions.
[/quote]

You mean the 3 or 4 people here who mocked him as a day 3 pick after the senior bowl? or the ones who started drinking the kool-aid when he lit up the combine? please.

[quote name='arnie_uk' timestamp='1364423936' post='1417819']
id take him at 32 if Arthur brown isn't there yes. I'd rather try and trade back with a team in the top 8 looking a QB and pick up a fourth though.
[/quote]

Yea I hear ya, its all in Ozzies hands anyway. Just up to us to sit back and speculate. This is going to be an interesting draft IMO. I could see us doing a number of things. Even possibly moving up in the first, but I doubt it. I definitely think Oz is going to be very active in rounds 2-5.

[quote name='PurpleCityLights' timestamp='1364433357' post='1418017']
Looks more & more like we may have to draft one.
[/quote]
We definitely have to draft one, its the only way we get a LT for more than a year or two. However, I really feel we will bring Mckinney back for the right price, and feel that will happen soon. This would be the perfect scenario to draft a tackle in rounds 2-4 to groom under him for a year or two, or if we get lucky plug him in and let him rip.

6-8 1/4 331 lbs

[/quote]

I'm not sure combine numbers are the greatest tool to go off of.(see Bruce Campbell) I'm not sure if that's what your saying or not, nor do I know much about David Mims. I'm sure the 2x all American stat is nothing to take lightly, the guy obviously had skill. I just have to do more research than combine numbers to see what he is made of.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1364434540' post='1418036']

You mean the 3 or 4 people here who mocked him as a day 3 pick after the senior bowl? or the ones who started drinking the kool-aid when he lit up the combine? please.
[/quote]No I mean the multiple online scouting reports that were released well over a month before the combine. Please. Maybe you should watch his tape before you comment on him not being NFL ready.

[quote name='Miami Hurricane' timestamp='1364438969' post='1418113']
No I mean the multiple online scouting reports that were released well over a month before the combine. Please. Maybe you should watch his tape before you comment on him not being NFL ready.
[/quote]

Maybe you should watch tape and come to you own conclusions instead of reading "multiple online scouting reports", oh thats right he's only played one game against good competition, awesome sample size right there!

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1364440392' post='1418143']

Maybe you should watch tape and come to you own conclusions instead of reading "multiple online scouting reports", oh thats right he's only played one game against good competition, awesome sample size right there!
[/quote]

Small schools don't mean anything. Our 120 million dollar quarterback proves it. There are guys every year who come from schools you've never even heard of that turn out to be impact players. The thing I don't like about Armstead, is that I think of Bruce Campbell all over again. Campbell blew the combine out of the water and had similar measurables. Whether Armstead is a starting LT in the NFL will be judged in the future.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1364440392' post='1418143']

[/quote]I have watched his games that were available to me. You can see my evaluation of him in the draft section of the boards. I only brought up the scouting reports to make a point that it wasn't just the 2-3 people on here. You are right though no college player that has ever played against weaker competition has been successful. Get out of here with that and come back when you have some actual evidence to support your idea that he isn't NFL ready.

I said it about 2 months ago but I'll state it again. The amount of picks we have and the FA acquisitions have only strengthened the belief that I think we'll try to trade up to take a LT. Who that will be I have no idea because I don't pay attention to the offensive side of the ball much in terms of my own analysis. But that's my two cents.