Ravens at Texans      Roster      Game Rewind   

Photo

Last Years Defense vs. This Years Defense

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Last Years D vs This Years D (109 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think this years Defense will be better than last years?

1. Voted Yes- the additions of DOOM, Canty, Spears, Huff, and the healthy returns of Sizzle, Ngata, Webb, and Smith will be dangerous (86 votes [78.90%])

Percentage of vote: 78.90%

2. Maybe- Depends on what we do in the draft (20 votes [18.35%])

Percentage of vote: 18.35%

3. No Way- The loss of leadership that Lewis, Reed, Pollard and others brought will be to major to overcome (3 votes [2.75%])

Percentage of vote: 2.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 zac_fuller

zac_fuller

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

With the new additions that THE wizard of OZ has brought in to replace the losses suffered in free agency to our defense, Im starting to become very confident that this years D will be better than last years. Pees now has a year experience to work with and the additions of Canty and Spears on the D- Line will give Pees the freedom to let Ngata, Suggs, Upshaw and Doom to roam and create havoc. Another relief is the fact that we wont have to see C.Williams getting burnt on every play with the occasional interception that made the media blind to how bad he truly was in coverage. Granted he wasn't half as bad as a Frank Walker... I think if Jimmy Smith is healthy, he will be a major improvement, Also, with the addition of Huff at one Safety position, and a healthy Webb and Graham, I think with an addition of say a Matt Elam or Johnathon Cyprien would make the secondary much better than last years. While we all love REEEEED, he obviously wasn't the all world safety we were accustomed to. He didn't have that closing speed and was always hesitant on making solid tackles. Huff doesn't have that problem. With an upgraded D-Line and Secondary, the only question left is the hole left in the middle. I think we end up drafting a couple ILB s and add a veteran such as Dansby. While the loss of Ray Ray's Leadership will be big, I think next years D will be head and shoulders over last years. What do you think?

#2 BMOREHAWAII

BMOREHAWAII

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

I think it's a bit early to say,theres no telling how the new additions will pan out in a different scheme. But on paper the roster looks really good. Pretty excited about it..

And at the price they paid? Genius moves by Oz and Co.
"If the football gods were to create the perfect defensive player, he would be a MERE IMAGE of the immortal Ray Lewis.."

#3 BALTIMOREFLACCO

BALTIMOREFLACCO

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

With a good draft (as usual) it will be better for sure

23mn1x.jpg

Thank god I was born a Texas Longhorn

Whiskey Sour GM

#4 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,016 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

It sure looks like this defense will be better, but you don't win on paper. Right now, I would say it's better even with a weak ILB corps.

#5 beanfigger

beanfigger

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:05 PM

It sure looks like this defense will be better, but you don't win on paper. Right now, I would say it's better even with a weak ILB corps.

I agree. D-line is better; OLB is better; CB is better with healthy Webb; Safety is about equal. However, we cannot track the intangibles that we lost with Lewis, Reed, etc. on paper. The defense looks better and has a good chance to rank better, but last year's defense had a will to get it done when we needed it most. I hope we still have that.

#6 mgridda

mgridda

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Last year's defense wasn't good.

So yeah, not hard to be better than that. What I want them to reach for though is for them to continue the tradition of having a top 10 ranked defense in Baltimore.

Last year was an embarrassment defensively.
Posted Image

#7 T-ray

T-ray

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

The offseason is all about "on paper", but I do believe that we have a better D now. Remember, we had a ton of injuries last year and players who were playing hurt as well on our D. But I will do a little breakdown here.

D-Line: Much better, if Ngata comes back to his pre-injury self. The additions of Canty and Spears gives us a beefed up line who can stop the run, unlike last year. McPhee will be healthy and may be back to his old dangerous self. Ngata will be healthy and he is a force to be reckoned with when he is at 100%. Art Jones is an up-and-coming player who made some good plays in the super bowl and throughout the playoffs. We will likely add a NT to complete the D Line. Advantage, 2013 Ravens.

LB: As far as outside linebackers go, we are vastly improved here. Suggs should be fully healthy and driven to produce as high as he possibly can with Dumervil pushing him on the other side. Upshaw is learning the game and will be a force in the run stopping aspect of the D, and has potential to put up some sack numbers as well. Doom is a beast, and is a clear upgrade over that guy who went to the Brown Craphole of Cleveland. Lets not forget that we have some nice depth in Hamilton/McClellan/McAdoo. Inside wise, we have a ton of question marks here, as we lost both The Landshark and Ellerbe in the same offseason. However, Ozz is a genius, and I have no doubt that whoever we draft at this position will produce for us in some way, so not all is lost. I'm giving this one a push here, as we are much better at OLB with Doom/healthy Suggs/Upshaw's development, but worse at ILB because of all the question marks.

DB's: Corner wise, we should be better with Webb coming back. Sure we lost Cary Williams, but Jimmy Smith will look to step it up this coming season, and did so in the Super Bowl. Corey Graham is not someone to look over, as he is a game changer. Asa Jackson/Chykie Brown are good up and coming players as well. Safety wise, I'd say that we are at a push here. Huff is better than Reed is at this point in Reed's career. However, Pollard (also one of my fave players) was cut this year. This makes the SS spot a bit of a question mark, but we do have players who can step up into that role. Ihedigbo/Thompson can be solid players if given a chance.

So overall, I think we are better. We are better at DL/OLB/CB, but have questions at SS/ILB.
Mount Ravensmore, 2013 version: Matt Elam, Arthur Brown, and Brandon Williams.

#8 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,563 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Dumerville for Kruger.
Huff for Reed.
Webb for Cary Williams.
McClain for Ellerbe.
Healthy Suggs for injured Suggs.
Healthy Ngata for injured Ngata.
Ray Lewis left.
Pollard left.

Yeah, as long as we aren't as beat up this year we're better already.

#9 EricH

EricH

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Last year was an embarrassment defensively.

This^

#10 ravensfan520

ravensfan520

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

I like the off season defensive free agents we picked up but I am still baffled by what we are going to do with the offense. Boldin as like Reed and Lewis in that He has the it factor and helped as much in the run as he did when clutch catches needed to be made. We still have Pitta as a [ profanity deleted] type guy but I don't think he can produce like Boldin. It looks like we are hoping that we can win with speed and hopefully Doss can step up and be the next Boldin... that's my big question mark along with whose going to play LT. I am OK with the defensive transition we are going with vets and young guys but vets that are not on the wrong side of the hill.

Edited by ravensfan520, 27 March 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#11 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,196 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

Dude it's march.

2yno6dx.png

#12 cushrinada1986

cushrinada1986

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

With the new additions that THE wizard of OZ has brought in to replace the losses suffered in free agency to our defense, Im starting to become very confident that this years D will be better than last years. Pees now has a year experience to work with and the additions of Canty and Spears on the D- Line will give Pees the freedom to let Ngata, Suggs, Upshaw and Doom to roam and create havoc. Another relief is the fact that we wont have to see C.Williams getting burnt on every play with the occasional interception that made the media blind to how bad he truly was in coverage. Granted he wasn't half as bad as a Frank Walker... I think if Jimmy Smith is healthy, he will be a major improvement, Also, with the addition of Huff at one Safety position, and a healthy Webb and Graham, I think with an addition of say a Matt Elam or Johnathon Cyprien would make the secondary much better than last years. While we all love REEEEED, he obviously wasn't the all world safety we were accustomed to. He didn't have that closing speed and was always hesitant on making solid tackles. Huff doesn't have that problem. With an upgraded D-Line and Secondary, the only question left is the hole left in the middle. I think we end up drafting a couple ILB s and add a veteran such as Dansby. While the loss of Ray Ray's Leadership will be big, I think next years D will be head and shoulders over last years. What do you think?

Thank you for saying that, Frank Walker should still be on somebodies practice squad the way he played but yes, there is a strong feeling that the 2013 Ravens will be very strong on both D and O. This is the kind of team that is really scary because just like the Colts of the mid 2000's, they had a lot of fire power and once you started to fall behind in points, the D would pin their ears back and it would basically be over from there. I feel this Ravens team is starting to look a lot like that type of team. If Flacco and the offense can keep points high on the board, expect a monster year from T-Sizzle and Evlis(AKA Doom & Boom).

#13 zac_fuller

zac_fuller

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:06 PM

Dude it's march.

dude its hypothetical

#14 SuggsBarber

SuggsBarber

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:40 PM

On paper it looks better but on the field we really can't tell yet.According to Pees,the biggest thing was to make sure everyone is lined up correctly.Well we lost 2 field generals and a sargent(Ellerbee) who knew where guys should be.Who on this defense will do that now?

#15 mgridda

mgridda

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Jameel Mcclain knows where people should line up. He's not going to see what Ray Lewis would see [I imagine Ray texting on the set to Dean Pees though every Sunday, lol]
Posted Image

#16 RavenzAllDay

RavenzAllDay

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:59 PM

Can't get much worse!! But im sure we can agree that Charlie Batch will not be beating this D again! Also with the additions of Canty, Spears and some draft picks i doubt we will se games like the Cowboys and Texans either! So yes this D is far better in my eyes, also just picture 2 safeties that can both cover and tackle.....
Follow me on twitter @ShawnPriestman!!

#17 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,015 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:29 PM

Yes. At this moment I think our defense will be better then last years. I'm also going off of the trust I have in Ozzie, in which I believe he nails this upcoming draft.

#18 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Entirely too early to tell. On paper it looks like if we're healthy we'll be just as good. But who knows how all of these new guys are going to mesh. This will be the first year our defense will not have a Ray Lewis or an Ed Reed leading the D in our franchises history. I'm a bit skeptical about our D. We've lost 5 out of our 11 starters. It will be a transition definitely. I believe that our Offense will have to carry us until our Defensive unit get's valuable playing time w/ one another uner their belts'

bleed P U R P L E!

#19 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,239 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

We really need to draft a decent receiver, ILB, and OT.

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

#20 K-Dog

K-Dog

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:44 PM

Some one said some where else on here
"Steven Hawking could run on our D"

Its rude and inappropriate but also funny and just slightly accurate.

Our D was weak last season cept' for the last few weeks.

On paper this D looks outstanding,
On paper.....

K-Dog

"Animals want to learn how to talk so they can hang out with me." Ray Lewis

You DO NOT know more than any coach in the NFL.  You simply do not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users