Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Militant X 1

I Wonder What the AFC North Rivals Think About the Ravens Now?

113 posts in this topic

With the retirement of Ray Lewis and Matt Birk and now...with all of these Ravens players (i.e. Boldin, Kruger, Ellerbe, C. Williams, and now Ed Reed...smh!) making a mass exodus out of Baltimore; I was wondering about what our AFC North rivals could possibly be thinking about which team will run the AFC now? Your thoughts.

~Mili

Most fans of other AFCN teams are laughing and think the Ravens are going to suck for years after this exodus. Just look here at the Bengals board:

[url="http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=110444"]http://boards.bengal...ad.php?t=110444[/url]

[url="http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=110199&page=2"]http://boards.bengals.com/showthread.php?t=110199&page=2[/url]

They're laughing, though their laughter is misguided. The Steelers have just as many holes, and the Bengals still have weak-armed Andy Dalton.

[b]they are laughing and the Bengals are hoping with the changes to the steelers and ravens they have a shot to win the division.[/b]

I think the Bengals should be the most excited.

Naturally, they think we are going to completely suck next year, while we all think that we'll be just fine. None of us know what's going to happen, but if we do end up being not-so-great next year, the Bengals have a very good shot at winning the division.

Steelers fans should be happy about nothing. Their team is in turmoil right now.

And Browns fans...nothing needs to be said.

Just going on track record, there's only one other team in our division who even gets a chance to talk. The other two are Luh-hoo-zuh-hers.

[quote name='terpsnation' timestamp='1363874470' post='1408616']
I think the Bengals should be the most excited.

Naturally, they think we are going to completely suck next year, while we all think that we'll be just fine. None of us know what's going to happen, but if we do end up being not-so-great next year, the Bengals have a very good shot at winning the division.

Steelers fans should be happy about nothing. Their team is in turmoil right now.

And Browns fans...nothing needs to be said.
[/quote]
my money is on the bengals for the division this season. Your correct no one knows and all of this is speculation. the bengals are beyond rookie mistakes, growing pains of young players. if it is true we are going younger we have to get through that first then take the next step.

What can they say? The Steelers are going through their own phase as well and the Bengals will always screw things up as usual. The Browns are the Browns. Can't say anything until next season. Until then, we are still the Superbowl Champions.

This is certainly their window for the Bengals and Browns to make their mark on the AFC North. However, I don't think the Ravens or Steelers will be as bad as they may think. However, with all the unknowns about both, this is the best chance they will probably have to win the division and maybe.... just maybe even a playoff game! <gasp>

From a playing standpoint, I was only really disappointed in losing Boldin and Ellerbe. However, there's still a very long time until even minicamps start up and between now and the finalization of the roster there's still the draft and more veterans who are released by other teams. How's the cap now?

I agree with above that the Bengals have the best chance as it stands right now to be challengers for the division, but again, that's still six months outside of preseason.

Cinci will screw up
Pit is going to suck
The browns are the browns

Oh, the city of SF is now making it its sole purpose to bash you guys. The think we go 5-11 after this offseason. Saying "we overpaid a backup QB" "Boldin, Pollard, Reed, Ellerbe, and Birk is too much"

While they sign Glenn Dorsey and declare all pro
Get a WR that only has a year or two left
And get a 38 year old kicker.....

"While you rot in the NFL cellar, we will drink like kings. Just give us the Lombardi already"

But back on topic, who cares?

[quote name='funky141' timestamp='1363875747' post='1408652']
They are thinking it's wide open in the AFC North, anybody can win it.
[/quote]
Except the Browns. They're the Browns, they'll still find ways to lose

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1363875820' post='1408655']
Except the Browns. They're the Browns, they'll still find ways to lose
[/quote]

You might think that but the Browns will have hopes at least at the beginning of the season.

Its funny, last year our team was too old, now that all the older players are gone, we have been gutted. Who did we really lose? Ray and Reed were great and were still playing at a fairly high level, but they were both slowing down. Last few years both have been suffering from injuries. Our biggest loss there is that vast football knowledge. Krugar and Ellerbe were both good, but not great, and can be replaced. Pollard and Boldin sting the most, but still not losses that are crippling.

The core of the team is still there. Flacco, Rice, Pitta, Dickson, Torrey. It is not much different than the last couple of offseasons. We lost a bunch of guys then too.

Aren't these the same folks who said we were too old last year? Now we we get younger and they say we can't win?? When free agency is over and the draft is complete, I'll take the Pepsi challange against any other AFC north team. Superbowl Champs!!!

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1363875614' post='1408649']
Cinci will screw up
Pit is going to suck

Oh, the city of SF is now making it its sole purpose to bash you guys. The think we go 5-11 after this offseason. Saying "we overpaid a backup QB" "Boldin, Pollard, Reed, Ellerbe, and Birk is too much"

"While you rot in the NFL cellar, we will drink like kings. Just give us the Lombardi already"

[/quote]lol @ SF. They better worry about Seattle and St. Louis before they start looking at us.

It's all wishful thinking on their parts. They're talking a big game but they are quietly dreading those match ups when they have to line up against the Ravens. We've dominated the AFCN for the last 2 years and I see that dominance continuing into 2013.

Let them think what they like. As Ravens' fans we can take heart in this one fact though:

Of the last 7 or 8 (I forget) Super Bowl Champions, no one has let more than 2 starters go. None have repeated and only 1 has even made it to the playoffs the following year. We are doing it all different from any team before us. We are treating this like any other off season and not letting emotion rule.

We'll see how it works out for us. If successful, we could be laying out the blueprint for avoiding the Super Bowl slump.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1363875614' post='1408649']
Cinci will screw up
Pit is going to suck

[/quote]

Imknowmits pointless using logic when discussing things with people who have a blind hatred for the ravens
But I do tend to point out that we lost players who they said was old and slow and couldn't cover their guys. So nothing lost there by their own logic.

Leading to the Super Bowl I pointed out what joe did to the broncos too ranked defense. I was told they weren't as good or as physical as sf defense. So now I point put his 3 td performance. The response is that their defense had a down year. So I say you're right joe just shine because he didnt play a single good team in last years playoffs so why should he worry about an sf team with the same group f players now.

I find this amusing.

Losing Reed, Lewis, Ellerbe, Boldin, Kruger, Birk, Pollard & Williams are blows, yes. It does not make us any less contenders, though. That is a grave mistake. Let them laugh. The thing is, the teams are not laughing. We've lost excellent talent on a team deep with talent. We have improved our run defense. We have improved our football team. We still have Flacco. We are by no means out.

This draft is perfectly suited to our needs. A fact that falls on deaf ears. Stacked we find it in the talent necessary for our needs as well as providing BPA for those needs.

Last year, we were done after we lost Grubbs, Johnson, Redding, Nakamura, Zbikowski, & McKinney. Sure, no future HoF there. Still, those were big losses. Our OL was a big question mark.

We will win this division, but I do not think we will sweep the Browns. I am making a bold prediction as well: Browns will be a wild card. That football team is impressive. I am very impressed by it. I think they surprise people a lot. I truly do. They need a QB, but perhaps Weeden can do well with a competent coordinator & weapons around him and a solid OL. I believe he can.

I see it like this:

1. Ravens
2. Browns
3. Bengals
4. Steelers

My bold prediction.

I already kind of knew it anyway, but this off season has made it glaringly apparent that the majority of nfl fans have very little actual nfl knowledge and their opinions come strictly from headlines or sound bites from the talking heads.

That's why I never make vast and uninformed retarded assumptions about other teams, because i know that i don't know their inner workings as much as the fans of that team do, or i at least do actual research before forming an opinion on a situation.

The casual nfl fan knows very little though and they all sound dumb with their misinformed opinions. For example, the majority of people think that flacco is getting paid $120M this year and that's why everyone is leaving, they saw the headline that said "Flacco signs $120M contract" and that's all they know and run with, without looking into any details or attempting to understand how the business side of the nfl works at all. They're just lemmings who parrot what they see/hear and thats it, likely for everything in their lives not just football. Its best to just ignore them, be embarrassed for them, and let them be proven wrong in due time.

I feel like most nfl fans have little to no ability to be objective or rational, or they just pretend not to on the internet. They're more than likely just dumb though.

Everyone keeps sleeping on the Browns. We barely beat the this year and it's going to be even harder next year. Matter of fact, I bet they win atleast 3 of their division games next year. I'm hoping that we make the Wild Card next year because once you make it to the dance it's anybodies show.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1363880068' post='1408754']
I find this amusing.

Losing Reed, Lewis, Ellerbe, Boldin, Kruger, Birk, Pollard & Williams are blows, yes. It does not make us any less contenders, though. That is a grave mistake. Let them laugh. The thing is, the teams are not laughing. We've lost excellent talent on a team deep with talent. We have improved our run defense. We have improved our football team. We still have Flacco. We are by no means out.

This draft is perfectly suited to our needs. A fact that falls on deaf ears. Stacked we find it in the talent necessary for our needs as well as providing BPA for those needs.

Last year, we were done after we lost Grubbs, Johnson, Redding, Nakamura, Zbikowski, & McKinney. Sure, no future HoF there. Still, those were big losses. Our OL was a big question mark.

We will win this division, but I do not think we will sweep the Browns. I am making a bold prediction as well: Browns will be a wild card. That football team is impressive. I am very impressed by it. I think they surprise people a lot. I truly do. They need a QB, but perhaps Weeden can do well with a competent coordinator & weapons around him and a solid OL. I believe he can.

I see it like this:

1. Ravens
2. Browns
3. Bengals
4. Steelers

My bold prediction.
[/quote]

Interesting assessment. The Browns have a glaring problem though and it is Weedon. To compensate for that IMO they would need a defense like our 2000 D and I don't see it. For that reason, I don't see them making the playoffs or taking 2nd place within the AFCN.

Steelers are hurting but IMO their season hinges on 2 things. Can Haley & Ben co-exist? Can Ben stay healthy? I think the answer to both questions is NO but remains to be seen.

Bengals, eh who knows. So far they have proven they are still the Bungles.

Yeah the Browns are the only team in our division without a solid QB, so until they find one they will not finish better than 3rd in the division