Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Michael Huff agrees to a 3 year, $6 million deal

362 posts in this topic

I've been wanting the Ravens to sign this guy ever since I saw he was cut by the Raiders.

He was their best cornerback when they played against us this year. He hits hard, plays the run well, and clearly has the ability to cover receivers. Awesome thing is his best position is safety and was only playing corner due to injury.

Bringing this guy in could help in both areas. He could compete to start over Ihedigbo if we resign Reed, or maybe replace him if we don't. If we do resign Reed and even draft a safety he could add to the depth/rotation at corner.

[quote name='BOLDnPurPnBlacK' timestamp='1363698652' post='1404710']
I've been wanting the Ravens to sign this guy ever since I saw he was cut by the Raiders.

He was their best cornerback when they played against us this year. He hits hard, plays the run well, and clearly has the ability to cover receivers. Awesome thing is his best position is safety and was only playing corner due to injury.

Bringing this guy in could help in both areas. He could compete to start over Ihedigbo if we resign Reed, or maybe replace him if we don't. If we do resign Reed and even draft a safety he could add to the depth/rotation at corner.
[/quote]Lets wait and see if our youth can step up first like omar Brown

[quote name='Brandon22' timestamp='1363698943' post='1404712']
Lets wait and see if our youth can step up first like omar Brown
[/quote]
[/quote] No....Huff is better

The last time I remember reading about Michael Huff he was supposed to be the next Ed Reed. How'd that go for him?

I think you make a great point about his ability to cover. He played cornerback, so he would be a great safety to have because you know he can match up on tight ends and slot receivers.

[quote name='pep_meister' timestamp='1363699608' post='1404729']
Possibility of huff, doom, and reed? Say we release leach? Not sure where we are after boldin is gone.
[/quote]

I believe it'd be either Huff or Reed but not both.

[quote name='Juviebest' timestamp='1363700082' post='1404739']

I believe it'd be either Huff or Reed but not both.
[/quote]
If we can get them cheap, then yeah, it's possible. I doubt we get both as well, honestly. I would love it if we got all three cheap, but let's be real here, haha.

I still don't get why they cut Huff. That was a big surprise.

[/quote]

No I hear ya.. But if they're ready they'll step up and beat him out. Plus if we dont resign Reed the youth will get playing time regardless.

Do you want Omar Brown and Ihedigbo as your starting safeties with only 1 other 2nd year player behind them as your depth? You gotta have a back up plan in case these guys arent ready, and hes a proven verteran that could come really cheap. Not only that his versatility... If one of these young guys steps up to win the safety position Huff just had a great year playing a corner back, and you know we covet that type of versatility.

[quote name='BOLDnPurPnBlacK' timestamp='1363700198' post='1404743']
No I hear ya.. But if they're ready they'll step up and beat him out. Plus if we dont resign Reed the youth will get playing time regardless.

Do you want Omar Brown and Ihedigbo as your starting safeties with only 1 other 2nd year player behind them as your depth? You gotta have a back up plan in case these guys arent ready, and hes a proven verteran that could come really cheap. Not only that his versatility... If one of these young guys steps up to win the safety position Huff just had a great year playing a corner back, and you know we covet that type of versatility.
[/quote]

besides if we wait he'll definitely be signed by someone else.

[quote name='Bltravens' timestamp='1363701078' post='1404761']
He wouldn't be a bad stop gap for a few years to bring along a rookie S.
[/quote]He's only 30. Still relatively young for a safety.

Lets wait and see if our youth can step up first like [b]omar Brown[/b]
[/quote]
I lol'd.

Huff would be a great addition to the team. Can cover and play the run well. I hope we get him.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1363700181' post='1404742']

If we can get them cheap, then yeah, it's possible. I doubt we get both as well, honestly. I would love it if we got all three cheap, but let's be real here, haha.

[/quote] on that note would you guys prefer Harrison/reed/huff we could make that happen? Apparently dirty harry keeps getting cheaper and cheaper.

[quote name='pep_meister' timestamp='1363704805' post='1404830']
on that note would you guys prefer Harrison/reed/huff we could make that happen? Apparently dirty harry keeps getting cheaper and cheaper.
[/quote]
If we can get Harrison for vet minimum or a little above it, I would go that route. The benefit is we don't have to spend a lot on Doom & Upshaw gets to get reps & learn from Dirty Harry. We also replace Williams & Pollard & retain a future HoF who will be leading the defense with Suggs. I would love what you just proposed.

Huff has had the misfortune of being stuck in the black hole that is the Raiders defense. I think he could really shine in our defense.

[quote name='BMORElegacy' timestamp='1363701974' post='1404774']
He's only 30. Still relatively young for a safety.
[/quote]
Well in my eyes a couple years is right around 3 lol. By that time we damn well better have drafted a young horse at FS to anchor the secondary.

I think he still has some closing skills that Ed is starting to lack. He also should come cheaper. My heart is saying I want Ed, my brain is saying that Huff my be a smarter grab.

I trust Ozzie to make the right decision with regards to our safeties. I'd love to see Huff and Reed lining up next to each other, but that's not gonna happen, obviously.

I've been dying to hear news about us persuing Huff since he got cut. Finally, I get some recently. However, it appears that we perhaps have more competition for him than the other FAs on our radar (Reed, Dumervill, etc.). That is to be expected, I guess, because of his age. A team like the Titans could probably offer him more, but if he wants to make a championship run in the near future after being lost in the black hole for seven years, then he will probably lean towards the Ravens or Packers. GB is notoriously cheap and slow moving when it comes to free agents, so I have hope. I do see the possibility of us getting two of the three (Reed, Huff, Doom). It might cost us another veteran, like Leach, though.

[quote name='EnVy_CaLiBeR' timestamp='1363711881' post='1404983']
Michael Huff and Matt Elam...

Yes, please.
[/quote]

Huff and DJ Swearinger for me

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1363700181' post='1404742']

[/quote]

He doesn't run a sub-4.5 40? My guess.

Anyhow I've been a supporter for his potential move to the Ravens since his release. He has experience as a CB and would be a very good insurance policy for at least 2-3 years, if we don't retain ER

Right player, right price.

I am cool with Ozzie bringing in whoever he wants...except James Harrison. That would leave a bad taste in my mouth, I just can't cheer that guy on. Obviously Ozzie doesn't have to run it by anyone, but it would be my least favorite move in Ravens history lol

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 3h
Ravens expected to meet with safety Michael Huff within the next five days, according to a league source.

Just read on bleacher report that the Ravens plan to meet with ex Raiders S Michael Huff within the next week.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-ravens-plan-to-meet-with-michael-huff-within-next-week-sources-say-20130319,0,3937195.story