Schedule      Roster     

Photo

St. Louis Rams LT Rodger Saffold to be available for us?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:45 AM

Now that the Rams have signed Jake Long. They have a LT in Rodger Saffold who was drafted in 2010. According to reports he'll ask for a trade. I think he would be perfect to get. He's a young veteran LT who is under contract for at least another year and he would only cost a 4th or 3rd round pick. I hope their asking price isn't much higher than that or we may not do it. I believe Miami would be interested as well seeing as though they just lost Long. I think this is the perfect Ozzie move to swoop in and get Saffold. That would solidify our left and right sides of the line. The only wquestion mark would be at C and we can always sign a veteran C to provide security in case Gradkowski didn't pan out.

post-53455-0-40820000-1365601474_thumb.j

#2 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

He is also an injury prone mess and I doubt he will be traded. Rams need insurance for Long and all the o line help they can get.

Edited by Sizzlebshu, 18 March 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#3 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,212 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

If we will trade for a LT, trade for Albert not Saffold. Depending on the compensation, of course. Saffold for a 7th is a no-brainer, but I doubt that happens.

#4 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

Sebastian Vollmer might jump at the chance to play one year at LT then test the market again next year.

#5 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

He is also an injury prone mess and I doubt he will be traded. Rams need insurance for Long and all the o line help they can get.

He signed a 4 year deal in 2010. A 4 year deal worth 6.3 million. That means he's in his last year this year. The Rams will need to trade him or they'll lose value. If he doesn't play for them or they move him to RT his value decreases and the type of contract he can get as well. I think the Rams will trade him for a 3rd to 4th round pick to get something for him. they can get a younger RT with one of those picks that will be younger and cheaper. If we traded for him we would only get one year out of him. I don't know if we want to sign him long term while we have Oher coming up for FA next year too.

#6 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Sebastian Vollmer might jump at the chance to play one year at LT then test the market again next year.

I though Vollmer was a RT.

#7 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,088 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

I though Vollmer was a RT.

He is, and should be. But he may try to play LT and then test the market again. Sign a one year deal and try again.

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#8 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

If we will trade for a LT, trade for Albert not Saffold. Depending on the compensation, of course. Saffold for a 7th is a no-brainer, but I doubt that happens.

KC is not trading Albert but he would def be the better player. Being that Saffold is in the last year of his deal a 5th rounder will actually do it. No one is giving a 2nd or 3rd for a LT on his last year that has some durability concerns.

#9 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:10 AM

We wont trade for another question mark at LT. The only way we trade or sign a LT is if we're sure they can step in day 1. Otherwise we'll draft and build, or as much as I hate to say it the coaching staff will slide Oher back over to LT bc for some reason they seem confident in doing so even though its glaringly obvious he cannot play LT at a high level and is a MUCH better player on the right.
Google me.

#10 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,212 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:20 AM

We wont trade for another question mark at LT. The only way we trade or sign a LT is if we're sure they can step in day 1. Otherwise we'll draft and build, or as much as I hate to say it the coaching staff will slide Oher back over to LT bc for some reason they seem confident in doing so even though its glaringly obvious he cannot play LT at a high level and is a MUCH better player on the right.

This is what I expect us to do to the dismay of the members here & most Ravens fans. I don't see us trading for Albert (there are rumors that KC is willing to listen to trade offers, btw; they can also draft a LT with their 1st pick) or trading for Saffold. I see us sticking Oher back at LT & having Jah Reid play RT or draft a guy to play RT and then groom him for LT.

Edit: btw, the Vollmer idea isn't a bad idea if it's a cheap deal. Don't want to give NE any more comps, lol. Also, not sure if Vollmer will work but if he's cheap you have nothing to lose there except a late comp pick.

Edited by GrimCoconut, 18 March 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#11 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:35 AM

Oher is IMO an elite RT. I think he's average at LT. I think since we have him and Yanda on the right and KO at LG. Saffold is a cheap fix because he's better than Oher at LT and you'd be getting the best out of him because he's in a contract year. You can get Saffold and start him at LT and draft a LT to work under him to replace him the following year if you couldn't sign him and Oher in FA.

#12 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

This is what I expect us to do to the dismay of the members here & most Ravens fans. I don't see us trading for Albert (there are rumors that KC is willing to listen to trade offers, btw; they can also draft a LT with their 1st pick) or trading for Saffold. I see us sticking Oher back at LT & having Jah Reid play RT or draft a guy to play RT and then groom him for LT.

Edit: btw, the Vollmer idea isn't a bad idea if it's a cheap deal. Don't want to give NE any more comps, lol. Also, not sure if Vollmer will work but if he's cheap you have nothing to lose there except a late comp pick.

Idk about the Vollmer idea. Yea we get a solid RT who could possibly play well on the left side... BUT chances are we end up with 2 really-good-to-great RT's and 2 really-average-to-bad LT's. And if our plan was to have him try LT we wouldnt sign him to a long deal bc I doubt we'd invest heavily in 2 RT's who both have question marks at LT. We'd just be in the same situation we're in now next year but with more cap space tied up in 2 similar players.

I see us either waiting out the market and bringing McKinnie back when he realizes he cant get better elsewhere OR if that doesnt I think it will be because the FO has their sights on a LT in the draft they really like. And since we just invested in Flacco I think this will be the year we move up instead of back in the 1st rd to get our guy.

And IF they do that, I do think they'll try to grab Teo in the 2nd. For some reason I just dont see another team taking a chance on the guy bc of all the baggage, and with us having Ayenbadejo in the locker room who is respected, I think our team is one of the only ones that wouldnt give the guy an incredibly hard time and would give him a chance to fit in as long as he can play. As much as im unsure if he will be a great player in the NFL i do think he'd be a great value pick in the 2nd.
Google me.

#13 BOLDnPurPnBlacK

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Oher is IMO an elite RT. I think he's average at LT. I think since we have him and Yanda on the right and KO at LG. Saffold is a cheap fix because he's better than Oher at LT and you'd be getting the best out of him because he's in a contract year. You can get Saffold and start him at LT and draft a LT to work under him to replace him the following year if you couldn't sign him and Oher in FA.

I agree with your premise, I just dont think Saffold is the guy. I dont think they'll trade a pick since they covet them so much, especially for a guy they'll only have for 1 year most likely and that has durability questions and isnt a proven player.

I do think theyll draft a guy and try to bring in a veteran for 1 yr but it will be a FA like bringing mckinnie back.

My guess is whatever happens in the coming weeks will tell us their plans.... if they dont sign a guy I think that means theyre targeting a LT early in the draft who they feel can step in day 1 and be a long term solution to grow with Joe.

Edited by BOLDnPurPnBlacK, 18 March 2013 - 09:44 AM.

Google me.

#14 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,212 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Idk about the Vollmer idea. Yea we get a solid RT who could possibly play well on the left side... BUT chances are we end up with 2 really-good-to-great RT's and 2 really-average-to-bad LT's. And if our plan was to have him try LT we wouldnt sign him to a long deal bc I doubt we'd invest heavily in 2 RT's who both have question marks at LT. We'd just be in the same situation we're in now next year but with more cap space tied up in 2 similar players.

I see us either waiting out the market and bringing McKinnie back when he realizes he cant get better elsewhere OR if that doesnt I think it will be because the FO has their sights on a LT in the draft they really like. And since we just invested in Flacco I think this will be the year we move up instead of back in the 1st rd to get our guy.

And IF they do that, I do think they'll try to grab Teo in the 2nd. For some reason I just dont see another team taking a chance on the guy bc of all the baggage, and with us having Ayenbadejo in the locker room who is respected, I think our team is one of the only ones that wouldnt give the guy an incredibly hard time and would give him a chance to fit in as long as he can play. As much as im unsure if he will be a great player in the NFL i do think he'd be a great value pick in the 2nd.

I would rather we do this:

Draft Terron Armstead or Menelik Watson with our 1st round pick, or get Barrett Jones in the 3rd or 4th (early 4th if we trade back from the 2nd). We invested a lot into Joe. I say give him time to throw. If you have a solid OL, it keeps the offense on the field. Joe can complete passes. You don't put your defense out there. As a result, less pressure is on them. They can force 3-&-outs.

I have read reports that Jones prefers to remain at center. If that's the case, fine. Still, I think he has big upside and can play LT. He is recovering from a Lisfranc, so I don't expect him to get 1st or 2nd round, but I can see him going 3rd round at the earliest, possibly 4th at the latest.

#15 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:49 AM

You just signed Flacco, do you draft a LT to start from day one from the 32nd spot? I don't know how the draft will pan out but to get one of the really good LT's we would need to be top 15-18. I don't think we would pay what it would cost to jump that high in the draft. Saffold if it only costs a 6th I see Ozzie jumping on it. Even if it's a one year rental he's a very solid LT. I think we could draft a LT to be groomed under Saffold to start the following year.

#16 sliceanddic3

sliceanddic3

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:50 AM

He's never lived up to his expectations as a 1st round guy. Injury prone and isn't anything special when he is healthy. The Rams are probably looking to get a 5th or 6th for him if theyre even shopping him. He's essentually an average back up at this point.
Posted Image

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Keep calm and stay based. @LILBTHEBASEDGOD

"They already declared war on us… We’re taking 53 men to the apocalypse and we ain’t bringin no flowers with us."
- Terrell Suggs

#17 Blackbirds Rule

Blackbirds Rule

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

I agree with your premise, I just dont think Saffold is the guy. I dont think they'll trade a pick since they covet them so much, especially for a guy they'll only have for 1 year most likely and that has durability questions and isnt a proven player.

I do think theyll draft a guy and try to bring in a veteran for 1 yr but it will be a FA like bringing mckinnie back.

My guess is whatever happens in the coming weeks will tell us their plans.... if they dont sign a guy I think that means theyre targeting a LT early in the draft who they feel can step in day 1 and be a long term solution to grow with Joe.

I have not watched a lot of Saffold and if the Rams were pursuing Long that hard at LT there may be something about Saffold that we don't know about. I just like contract year players but I'll trust in Ozzie with whatever he does. I know he's not going to go into the season without a LT. Worse case scenario Oher does it for a year, that's not optimal but he won't get Joe Killed.

#18 jaege

jaege

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

If we are going to fantasize about players that "we might get" lets go whole hog here. I want Clay Mathews, and JJ Watts and Polomalu at age 24, while we are at it. That is as likely as Dumervil , or Long or any of these other relatively high dollar pick-ups that fans keep suggesting we could get.

Come on, remember which team we are thinking about here. Oz rarely spends that kind of money for FAs. Besides we do not even have that kind of money to spend.
It's so nice to be insane...

CAM GOT FIRED!!!!!

Joe Cool is the MAN!!!

Ravens

World Champions

#19 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

We have established our need for an OT, WR, and FS (pending Ed's decision). I wouldn't mind seeing us pick up someone in FA, too. I'm sure that Ozzie isn't done. If he doesn't get Elvis, then he surely won't come home from the meetings empty handed.

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

#20 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

I have not watched a lot of Saffold and if the Rams were pursuing Long that hard at LT there may be something about Saffold that we don't know about. I just like contract year players but I'll trust in Ozzie with whatever he does. I know he's not going to go into the season without a LT. Worse case scenario Oher does it for a year, that's not optimal but he won't get Joe Killed.

McKinnie will last for another year, too. Don't be surprised if he is back here.

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users