Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BOLDnPurPnBlacK

Ravens re-sign Chris Johnson to 1 year deal

22 posts in this topic

Reported on NFL.com Ravens resign CB Chris Johnson to a 1 yr deal.

Guess we're now set with the CB's we have on the roster.

He played well before he went down with an injury. I like this signing. Hopefully he can stay healthy next season so we can see more of what he can do.

People seem to be sleeping on the fact that, Ed Reed or no Ed Reed, we have one of the deepest secondaries in the NFL. We had our 3rd and 4th string guys playing starters minutes at times because of injuries. Once Webb is back, and we possibly add some pieces in the draft, I think we have an opportunity to be better than we were last year.

Played really well at times, obviously rusty. I like it as a depth signing and some competition with Chykie Brown and Asa Jackson.

I think it's just a spring training tryout. He showed some stability in one start, but disappeared after that. If he makes the team, then he deserves it. If not, I assume this signing has very low guarantees.

Terrence Newsome played well at age 34, so I still have hope that Chris Johnson can do something. A motivated veteran is better than a complacent and overpaid superstar.

Hopefully a full offseason and training camp in our defense learning the system will shake the rust out of him. Not a bad resigning.

With the exception of his one glaring mistake (that worked out pretty well in the long run), he looked like he played well. And let's face it. We need all of the veteran presence that we can get at this point.

[quote name='cobrajet' timestamp='1363296022' post='1396702']
This guy has potential, I like it and our depth at CB.
[/quote]
I certainly hope he's reached his potential by now. The guys 33. Nice depth though since we just lost Cary.

Webb
Graham
Smith
Brown
Jackson
Johnson

Not sure how I feel about it. Alot of question marks....It would be lovely if Asa or Chykie have a breakout year

[quote name='Ravens<3' timestamp='1363296883' post='1396749']
Webb
Graham
Smith
Brown
Jackson
Johnson

Not sure how I feel about it. Alot of question marks....It would be lovely if Asa or Chykie have a breakout year
[/quote]

Chykie is going to leap frog Jimmy and be the number two corner this year, behind Webb.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1363299139' post='1396862']
Chykie is going to leap frog Jimmy and be the number two corner this year, behind Webb.
[/quote]
I don't think so. Chykie wasn't afraid to play rough and he had some nice pass defenses, but I don't think he's good enough in coverage to be number two. He'd be a better slot corner in my opinion. Jimmy and Graham on the other hand, both played extremely well in coverage at the end of the season. It'll probably end up #1 Webb, #2 Jimmy/Graham, #3 Brown

Sorry to bump this back up, but I think this shows why Johnson was re-signed. In addition to offering a solid #4-6 CB, he seems like a true stabilizing veteran force in the locker room.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-01-26/sports/bs-sp-ravens-chris-johnson-0127-20130126_1_chris-johnson-jennifer-johnson-sister

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1363563618' post='1402441']
Sorry to bump this back up, but I think this shows why Johnson was re-signed. In addition to offering a solid #4-6 CB, he seems like a true stabilizing veteran force in the locker room.

[url="http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-01-26/sports/bs-sp-ravens-chris-johnson-0127-20130126_1_chris-johnson-jennifer-johnson-sister"]http://articles.balt...-johnson-sister[/url]
[/quote]
That was a really nice read. Thanks for sharing.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-01-26/sports/bs-sp-ravens-chris-johnson-0127-20130126_1_chris-johnson-jennifer-johnson-sister

[/quote]

wow that's awesome. just shows how classy this organization is. when you can force a fumble on your first snap and you show that kind of courage, honesty and resiliency, that's what it truly means to play like a raven. officially a Chris Johnson fan.

[url="http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-01-26/sports/bs-sp-ravens-chris-johnson-0127-20130126_1_chris-johnson-jennifer-johnson-sister"]http://articles.balt...-johnson-sister[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for bumping that.
There was a lot of negativity here at first, people assuming his availability mid-season was due to his play, when actually he had taken a hiatus from football to take care of his family in the aftermath of tragedy.
I was thrilled to hear he'd be back, he deserves another chance.

[quote name='NaveSenrag' timestamp='1363300656' post='1396914']

I don't think so. Chykie wasn't afraid to play rough and he had some nice pass defenses, but I don't think he's good enough in coverage to be number two. He'd be a better slot corner in my opinion. Jimmy and Graham on the other hand, both played extremely well in coverage at the end of the season. It'll probably end up #1 Webb, #2 Jimmy/Graham, #3 Brown
[/quote]
Jimmy and extremely well should never be in the same sentence... Yet

[quote name='Latch' timestamp='1363572742' post='1402592']

wow that's awesome. just shows how classy this organization is. when you can force a fumble on your first snap and you show that kind of courage, honesty and resiliency, that's what it truly means to play like a raven. officially a Chris Johnson fan.
[/quote]

Agreed. I read that story and instantly realized he came back for more than what he offers on the field. I instantly became a huge Chris Johnson fan and hope he sticks around through cuts. I'm glad he was finally able to get a ring with us last year, and hope another one is in order.

[quote name='codizzle' timestamp='1363580953' post='1402770']
Jimmy and extremely well should never be in the same sentence... Yet
[/quote]
Say what you will about Smith, but he dominated during the playoffs. Especially the Super Bowl.

i really want to see Jimmy be "the guy" at CB alongside Webb but he's been plagued with injuries and getting roasted by those double moves. lol! step it up Jimmy.

~Mili