79 replies to this topic

#1 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

It became evident towards the end of last season that Joe's Go-to-guy was Quan. There is no doubting that.

I will definitely miss Quan, he did so much for our team and he was a TRUE Raven.

I believe that our offense will adjust to his absence and we'll be fine.

I don't think that Joe will have ONE go-to-guy next year. I think that in certain situations and against certain defenses these four receivers will be key with the absence of Boldin. I believe that his four main receiving targets in critical situations will be

1. Pitta - I'm almost certain that he's resigning. He and Joe have great chemistry and Pitta will prove to the league this upcoming season that he is a top 5 TE

2. Smith - This guy is a BEAST, not as strong as Q, but he makes up for that in speed and w/ Joe's cannon for an arm there will be no shortage of big plays

3. Rice - Hey diddle diddle Ray Rice up the middle

4. Doss - I believe that he will emerge as our number 2 receiver, one huge reason that I feel that we gave Joe that lucrative contract knowing that we wouldn't be willing to pay Q 6mil. Say what you want about Doss' game against Indy but I believe that he was drafted for this very reason and this is him time to prove it

Edited by TonyTone1192, 11 March 2013 - 09:11 PM.

bleed P U R P L E!

#2 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:16 PM

Pitta,Rice,Smith then Jones as of now.

I think we'll definitely sign/draft another "big name" WR before the start of next season. (One that will compete for #1 or 2 spot).
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#3 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

I think we'll definitely sign/draft another "big name" WR before the start of next season. (One that will compete for #1 or 2 spot).

No faith in Doss?

bleed P U R P L E!

#4 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:19 PM

ozzie will bring in more WRs/TEs for more competition

#5 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,689 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

No faith in Doss?

Not really, unfortunately.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#6 wikle

wikle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:22 PM

first off, this draft class has very limited talent at receiver, second we don't have cap space to attempt to sign some of the better receivers in fa. it will be Smith, hopefully Jones, and possibly Streeter. we will have the fastest starters in the league

#7 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,623 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

Find it funny that people are trusting streeter a guy who was very raw coming out and has gotten 0 playing time, to Doss who has had one bad playoff game.

#8 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:31 PM

ozzie will bring in more WRs/TEs for more competition

I agree but I think Doss will emerge out of that group. Todd McShay said that out of all of the receivers that were in the 2011 draft class Doss had the best hands (a slight resemblance of Boldin) he said that he is a possession receiver (similar to Boldin) but he needs to improve on his route running. This will be his 3rd year in the league I think that his feet are wet and he's a bit more comfortable and Oz is a genius at finding hidden gems in the draft

bleed P U R P L E!

#9 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:32 PM

First off, it's Q. Not Quan.
Second, in my opinion, Pitta will be his favorite target. Tight ends usually are and they have a bro connection. Torrey will have some trouble. His best games came when the top receiver covered Boldin. I hope Thompson and Streeter show up. Speedy and too-tall would be a great combination.

Ozzie must have a ton of faith in Caldwell to let Joe's biggest weapon go.

2yno6dx.png

#10 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:34 PM

Find it funny that people are trusting streeter a guy who was very raw coming out and has gotten 0 playing time, to Doss who has had one bad playoff game.

It's nothing with trust. It's that Doss has been with us for 2 seasons, received a fair amount of time in games, but hasn't produced much. Streeter spent his whole rookie season on IR buffing up for this season. It's easier to hope the guy who we haven't seen will produce something, than to hope the guy who has done something will produce.

I'm not knocking Tandon, but he is 6'2, not very physical and not very fast. Streeter is 6'5 and around the same speed. I like athletic guys.

2yno6dx.png

#11 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,717 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Second, in my opinion, Pitta will be his favorite target. Tight ends usually are and they have a bro connection. Torrey will have some trouble. His best games came when the top receiver covered Boldin. I hope Thompson and Streeter show up. Speedy and too-tall would be a great combination.

Simply not true. He was beating the best opposing team had in the every game he topped 80 yards during the regular season. And we all saw what he to Champ Bailey. He could have had three TDs in that game had Joe not overthrown him.
"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#12 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:43 PM

I'm almost certain that Bailey(Denver's best Corner) covered Smith in the Divisional game and Torrey had a heck of a game.

Oh and I'm sorry his name is AnQUAN Boldin so I guess it doesn't make any sense for me to call him QUAN. We're not the Oakland Raiders we don't only use speedy receivers. Thomson and Streeter have been used predominantly on special teams so what makes you think that they will all of a sudden jump past Doss on the depth chart?

bleed P U R P L E!

#13 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

I'm almost certain that Bailey(Denver's best Corner) covered Smith in the Divisional game and Torrey had a heck of a game.

Oh and I'm sorry his name is AnQUAN Boldin so I guess it doesn't make any sense for me to call him QUAN. We're not the Oakland Raiders we don't only use speedy receivers. Thomson and Streeter have been used predominantly on special teams so what makes you think that they will all of a sudden jump past Doss on the depth chart?

I'm not knocking Torrey so calm down. I'm saying that he doesn't perform as well up against the better corners in the league. The top guy covered Q most of the time. That's why their best games cycled. Torrey isn't a true number one, but this was only his second year. He could very well develop into a top 5 receiver in the league. He beat Champ because of pure speed.

Quan is not wrong, but nobody calls him that. He's been Q since Arizona. No reason to change it. I'm at least helping you not sound like a bandwagon fan who doesn't know player names or nicknames.

I never said anything about purely speed receiver. I have been advocating for a big jump ball possession receiver for a while. I never said be like Oakland and go for the fastest guys, but receivers with speed and height tend to play the best. Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Randy Moss. Doss has been here longer and hasn't shown too much. Preseason performances against fourth string corners don't stand out to me.

Thompson was on special teams because he runs a sub 4.3 and backups usually play special teams. All of a sudden jumps on depth charts are very common in football. Doss could become a great receiver but he hasn't shown much progression. I wouldn't be surprised to see Streeter or Thompson who played plenty of offense and not just ST to outperform Doss.

2yno6dx.png

#14 redravenfan

redravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

i don't care who they pick at wide reciever i get we need speedy guys but if they can't catch then what's the point. we are not going to a track meet. torrey smith had a great game against bailey older. but could not beat culliver ....one on one what happens when he gets double teamed by two young corners? not being confrontational ......boldin could beat dbs and drag them along for the ride. beyond pitta i see nothing in depth .and god forbid we run up against sherman or revis ....

Edited by redravenfan, 11 March 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#15 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:58 PM

Simply not true. He was beating the best opposing team had in the every game he topped 80 yards during the regular season. And we all saw what he to Champ Bailey. He could have had three TDs in that game had Joe not overthrown him.

You are wrong and just made that up. He went against number two corners in a fair amount of games. He was shut down a few games as well. I love Torrey and could develop into a true number one receiver, but he isn't there yet.

2yno6dx.png

#16 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,963 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:59 PM

Torrey will be #1, Jones will be #2 and the rest of our talent at WR will compete for that #3 spot. If one of them shines very bright, there is a slim possibility they leap frog Jones for that #2 spot, but I don't see that happening. Jones & Torrey will both command coverage with their speed and Joe's arm. Opposing teams will have to pick their poison. I see either Streeter or Doss taking over the #3 spot.

Of course, all of this becomes garbled and different if Ozzie is indeed targeting a WR in FA. I hope not though. It's time for some of the young blood to get their shot.

The first testicular guard, the "Cup" was used in hockey in 1874. The first helmet was used in 1974. That means it only took men 100 years to realize their brain was also important.

#17 dhstandard

dhstandard

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:11 PM

Torrey will be #1, Jones will be #2 and the rest of our talent at WR will compete for that #3 spot. If one of them shines very bright, there is a slim possibility they leap frog Jones for that #2 spot, but I don't see that happening. Jones & Torrey will both command coverage with their speed and Joe's arm. Opposing teams will have to pick their poison. I see either Streeter or Doss taking over the #3 spot.

Of course, all of this becomes garbled and different if Ozzie is indeed targeting a WR in FA. I hope not though. It's time for some of the young blood to get their shot.

Where do you people get this from? Jacoby Jones struggled as a number 2 playing with Andre Johnson. Do you really think Torrey Smith is a better receiver than Johnson? Jacoby is a vet and major improvement doesn't happen instantly.

2yno6dx.png

#18 TonyTone1192

TonyTone1192

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm not knocking Torrey so calm down. I'm saying that he doesn't perform as well up against the better corners in the league. The top guy covered Q most of the time. That's why their best games cycled. Torrey isn't a true number one, but this was only his second year. He could very well develop into a top 5 receiver in the league. He beat Champ because of pure speed.

Quan is not wrong, but nobody calls him that. He's been Q since Arizona. No reason to change it. I'm at least helping you not sound like a bandwagon fan who doesn't know player names or nicknames.

I never said anything about purely speed receiver. I have been advocating for a big jump ball possession receiver for a while. I never said be like Oakland and go for the fastest guys, but receivers with speed and height tend to play the best. Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones, AJ Green, Randy Moss. Doss has been here longer and hasn't shown too much. Preseason performances against fourth string corners don't stand out to me.

Thompson was on special teams because he runs a sub 4.3 and backups usually play special teams. All of a sudden jumps on depth charts are very common in football. Doss could become a great receiver but he hasn't shown much progression. I wouldn't be surprised to see Streeter or Thompson who played plenty of offense and not just ST to outperform Doss.

Lol I guess I'm a bandwagon fan because I didn't call Quan by his "NickName" Q

But I may have somewhat been on the same page as you if you said that Williams might emerge over Doss, due to the fact that he's seen time playing offense. Hey I don't care who emerges as long as someone on our team is catching balls from number 5.

And I think that we've (NFL Fans in general) been getting spoiled by young players producing as soon as they step foot in the league. Doss is coming from IU (a basketball school) IU played in SIX bowl games throughout the entire program's history. So not too many players have come out of that school and played in the league, which means that they don't run an NFL style program like the Miami's and the Ohio St.'s out there. This past season he did play a bit more than he did his rookie year which I believe was for him to get his feet wet for this upcoming season.

Hey, if Streeter or Thompson emerge and they provide a spark for our offense I will be ecstatic, but I don't see that happening

Edited by TonyTone1192, 11 March 2013 - 10:14 PM.

bleed P U R P L E!

#19 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,623 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

hahaha does this guy even know what hes talking about. Revis, Haden, Taylor, Sherman, Joseph; all covered Torrey when we played their respective teams. If anything Torrey helped out Q.

#20 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:14 PM

Teams put their top CB on Torrey more than Boldin. If anything, Boldin benefitted from teams doubling Torrey.

Count me as another with no faith in Doss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users