dhstandard

Anquan Boldin Traded to the San Francisco 49ers

1,400 posts in this topic

i don't remember that .was the mistake not drafting boldin in the first place or picking another wr? i say again i think he will be a raven til retirement . the only part debatable is how much it cost to keep him here.

"...NEWSOME) “Like Kevin [byrne] said, thanks for your patience. Anquan [boldin] just got back from his physical, we had to get him some food and then he signed this new extension to his contract. I’d like to begin by saying when Anquan came out in the Draft, he was the subject of a lot of discussion in our War Room. And not too many times do you get a chance to recover from a mistake, and I think I made a mistake in that Draft [by] worrying more about measurables than worrying about the football player. And what Anquan is, is a football player. Regardless of how long you’ve been in this league, I think that you become a fan at some point. And any time I’ve had an opportunity to watch ‘Q’ [Anquan Boldin] play – whether on tape or whether during a game – after one of our games on Sundays, I could always enjoy watching him. The way he approached the game and the way he played the game is something I enjoy watching, and now I have the opportunity to watch it, but watch him playing for us here in Baltimore.” not exactly in the words I stated BUT there you go. http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Press-Conference-Transcript---Anquan-Boldin-Introduction/B9F4BD45-B711-4346-B1A0-7A48AF9D6FEB

It's a generalization. It's posted in a lot of other threads. Lots of people using it as an excuse. When in reality, Boldin also benefitted from having an amazing QB play.

i didn't see anyone here use that in relation to boldin why i asked .everyone benefits from flacco's skill .we have a good offense .look forward to seeing more in the new year.

"...NEWSOME) “Like Kevin [byrne] said, thanks for your patience. Anquan [boldin] just got back from his physical, we had to get him some food and then he signed this new extension to his contract. I’d like to begin by saying when Anquan came out in the Draft, he was the subject of a lot of discussion in our War Room. And not too many times do you get a chance to recover from a mistake, and I think I made a mistake in that Draft [by] worrying more about measurables than worrying about the football player. And what Anquan is, is a football player. Regardless of how long you’ve been in this league, I think that you become a fan at some point. And any time I’ve had an opportunity to watch ‘Q’ [Anquan Boldin] play – whether on tape or whether during a game – after one of our games on Sundays, I could always enjoy watching him. The way he approached the game and the way he played the game is something I enjoy watching, and now I have the opportunity to watch it, but watch him playing for us here in Baltimore.” not exactly in the words I stated BUT there you go. http://www.baltimore...A0-7A48AF9D6FEB

i completely forgot this thanks for the link and the reminder.

"...NEWSOME) “Like Kevin [byrne] said, thanks for your patience. Anquan [boldin] just got back from his physical, we had to get him some food and then he signed this new extension to his contract. I’d like to begin by saying when Anquan came out in the Draft, he was the subject of a lot of discussion in our War Room. And not too many times do you get a chance to recover from a mistake, and I think I made a mistake in that Draft [by] worrying more about measurables than worrying about the football player. And what Anquan is, is a football player. Regardless of how long you’ve been in this league, I think that you become a fan at some point. And any time I’ve had an opportunity to watch ‘Q’ [Anquan Boldin] play – whether on tape or whether during a game – after one of our games on Sundays, I could always enjoy watching him. The way he approached the game and the way he played the game is something I enjoy watching, and now I have the opportunity to watch it, but watch him playing for us here in Baltimore.” not exactly in the words I stated BUT there you go. http://www.baltimore...A0-7A48AF9D6FEB

thanks .now i'm even more convinced now then ever that he will stay

It's a generalization. It's posted in a lot of other threads. Lots of people using it as an excuse. When in reality, Boldin also benefitted from having an amazing QB play.

i honestly haven't seen that much since we won the superbowl i am stunned people still say it . trolls will be trolls i guess and some people are never happy . can't please everyone . we have a good team i just hope it stays intact for the most part.

How much cap space does cutting Boldin save us?

Boldin is my second WR ever, right after Moss, but if we use that money to land a quality LT or DT, then I'd support this

Boldin is my second WR ever, right after Moss, but if we use that money to land a quality LT or DT, then I'd support this

6 million. It's a pretty decent chunk of change.

$6 million, so it seems worth it if we plan on using the money to fill a long-term need.

His cap number is like 7.5 million, actual salary is 6 million. So we would save 6 million I believe.

Like I've said before, don't pursue Reed and see if you can restructure either Ngata or Suggs.

His cap number is like 7.5 million, actual salary is 6 million. So we would save 6 million I believe.

Like I've said before, don't pursue Reed and see if you can restructure either Ngata or Suggs.

I'm with you on that, I don't think we're in a position where we can pay him what he feels he should be paid. His play over the past two years has been declining (relative term, of course) to the point that, at least I can say this for myself, I was questioning what Ed was doing on multiple occasions

I'm with you on that, I don't think we're in a position where we can pay him what he feels he should be paid. His play over the past two years has been declining (relative term, of course) to the point that, at least I can say this for myself, I was questioning what Ed was doing on multiple occasions

He would get at least 5 million, he isn't worth 5 million. Boldin > Reed. I want to keep that offense together as much as possible.

He would get at least 5 million, he isn't worth 5 million. Boldin > Reed. I want to keep that offense together as much as possible.

Agreed, why tamper with what worked (to the tune of 11TD 0INT 1SB no less). It's always interesting to see how the FO responds to these situations though

Agreed, why tamper with what worked (to the tune of 11TD 0INT 1SB no less). It's always interesting to see how the FO responds to these situations though

Basically, we need to re-sign McKinnie and Pitta.

The Ravens need to have one heck of a Draft this year.

you can say that again

But how are we supposed to do that if they don't get playing time in the regular season? You act like these are guys that have underperformed in the league for years.

The men I've mentioned and gave a rough evaluation on have played during the regular season

I think alot of posters are forgetting the original point of this thread is that all the Boldin rumors that began were in relation to freeing up cap space to sign other players, Ellerbe specifically. That is what I had a problem with, overpaying Ellerbe at the expense of weakening the offense through a possible release of Boldin to save cap money. I've never seen an instance of robbing Peter to pay Paul work out very well. Just sayin'!

I think alot of posters are forgetting the original point of this thread is that all the Boldin rumors that began were in relation to freeing up cap space to sign other players, Ellerbe specifically. That is what I had a problem with, overpaying Ellerbe at the expense of weakening the offense through a possible release of Boldin to save cap money. I've never seen an instance of robbing Peter to pay Paul work out very well. Just sayin'!

well said esp with a fo that is so good at restocking the defense each and every season. Edited by runamuk

If you ignore the ball that was debatably thrown away and the one Anquan caught but was clearly meant for Doss than sure

There was no way Doss was getting that ball. He was on the wrong side of his defender. That's either a catch for Boldin or an interception for whomever was covering Doss.

Doss has never been a burner. With Q moving inside, the offense would be even easier to defend if they brought on another possession WR like Doss instead of a burner like Jones to prevent defenses from taking away Torrey.

You're comparing apples to oranges by mentioning Pierce. It's much easier to spell a RB and get him touches than effectively work in a WR in a passing game, especially when you've already got multiple targets.

Why, Boldin out, Doss in, seems pretty easy to me.

Obviously you are a Doss fan, and that is fine. I am still hoping we do not lose Boldin and that by the time we do, we draft a new decent slot receiver to replace him. I do not think Doss is the answer and until he does something, anything I will continue to hold that opinion. A few catches in pre-season or the peewee league does not mean anything.

It is true that Boldin benifits from having a good QB, but Flacco also benefits from having good receivers. Boldin did catch some passes that would have been difficult for another receiver to get. Any QB is only as good as his WRs.

You get a bunch of Dosses* :) out there and Flacco would not look as good as he does.

*(I am just razzing the Doss fans)

no one said that at all and i think its hilarious that you would even jump to the conclusion that anyone ever said it and i read back at least ten pages to find out who did .

if he doesn't then we have a losing season

if that's not saying we are doomed I don't know what is... And it was even you that said it

When Flacco got his contract, all I kept hearing was, "If Flacco wouldn't have won the Super Bowl, there is no way he would get $120 million. He doesn't deserve it. He is too inconsistent."

Truth is, if we wouldn't have had such a great playoff run, Boldin would have had a huge target on his back. If we are talking about inconsistent, it is Boldin. The majority of teams put their number one cb on Torrey most of the time. So we are paying a guy 6 million to face number 2 corners and still put up inconsistent numbers?

It just doesn't make sense to think we are dependent on Boldin. We have so many weapons. This is who I put above Boldin in importance:

1. Ray Rice

2. Torrey Smith

3. Dennis Pitta

4. Boldin.

Boldin brings a lot to the table. But we have more important players than Boldin.

Edited by lowrider

What I've found interesting is that I've never read anything about discussing a contract extension with Boldin to lower his salary for this season. All the talks have been take a " pay cut " makes me think of how McKinnie contract was cut before the season.

Boldin doesn't seem willing to budge, and I don't blame him, it seems that if they can't reach an agreement the FO will have to cut him, because otherwise the next time the FO approaches a player to take a pay-cut they simply say well if this worked for Boldin I'll try it also.

What I've found interesting is that I've never read anything about discussing a contract extension with Boldin to lower his salary for this season. All the talks have been take a " pay cut " makes me think of how McKinnie contract was cut before the season.

Boldin doesn't seem willing to budge, and I don't blame him, it seems that if they can't reach an agreement the FO will have to cut him, because otherwise the next time the FO approaches a player to take a pay-cut they simply say well if this worked for Boldin I'll try it also.

The Ravens rarely ask a player to take a straight out pay cut. Usually the cap is reduced through an extension, with the FO figuring that the last year could likely be dead money. I have no issue with Boldin sticking to his guns for his pay, however, HE is the one who stated he would retire before play for another team if he was cut. Now, he is changing his stand on that point. I don't respect that in the least.

The last time I got royally upset about cuts was when we let Heap & Mason go. I will be upset to see Boldin go, but I just don't think we're sunk, we're doomed, OMG no one else will ever catch a Joe Flacco pass again. Doss will step it up, or he won't and he'll be replaced. We'll move on like we always do and we'll be right there in the thick of things come post season.

Edit: I feel the need to add these blasts from the past when we cut Mason. They might sound familiar if you've read this thread lol

"you let go one of the best hard hitting TE's in the game along with a super solid WR who single handedly won you some games last year? unreal. here's to the ravens NEVER figuring out they have good players til way after they've cut/ traded em. they'd have a superbowl by now if they woulda stuck with chester taylor."

"After the embarrassing personnel decisions made by the Ravens yesterday, I am now convinced what I have suspected for years – the Ravens are in bed with the Steelers, and are being paid off by creepy old Dan Rooney himself to make personnel decisions that my two year old would have known better to avoid. Why would you cut Mason and Heap? So who do we throw to now besides Boldin? Tandon Doss? Ed Dickson? How about I polish the AFC North trophy and just hand it to Pittsburgh now. This is why we are always a bridesmaid and never the bride – we are being paid by the Steelers to make these types of decisions."

Edited by ravensdfan

When Flacco got his contract, all I kept hearing was, "If Flacco wouldn't have won the Super Bowl, there is no way he would get $120 million. He doesn't deserve it. He is too inconsistent."

Truth is, if we wouldn't have had such a great playoff run, Boldin would have had a huge target on his back. If we are talking about inconsistent, it is Boldin. The majority of teams put their number one cb on Torrey most of the time. So we are paying a guy 6 million to face number 2 corners and still put up inconsistent numbers?

It just doesn't make sense to think we are dependent on Boldin. We have so many weapons. This is who I put above Boldin in importance:

1. Ray Rice

2. Torrey Smith

3. Dennis Pitta

4. Boldin.

Boldin brings a lot to the table. But we have more important players than Boldin.

There's no way in h3ll that Smith and Pitta are more important in the offense than Q!! If that was the case,

why does Joe go to Boldin almost every time when they need a clutch play. Rewind to the Chargers game when it

was 4th and 29 who sprung the final block to allow Rice to get the 1st down, it was Q! Heck, Smith said himself during that play he was standing there watching.

Smith is basically a down field threat. Q, can and has done both this season.

Why you would even think Pitta was more important than Q is beyond words.

Sorry, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Edited by 757RavensFan