Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dhstandard

Anquan Boldin Traded to the San Francisco 49ers

1,400 posts in this topic

Deleted original thread content.

Well it looks like Boldin has been traded to the 49ers for a 6th round pick. Chump change in my opinion. I'm surprised he wasn't offered an extension. I can see this one biting us in the butt.

It saves a lot of cap room but we just completely disrespected a veteran player.

This is a good thing. Maybe he signs a cap friendly extension. We need him next year!

"I'm not chasing a championship" is a bit discouraging. Nothing tops your first ring, but who wouldn't be thirsty for two? Is he not motivated?

"I'm not chasing a championship" is a bit discouraging. Nothing tops your first ring, but who wouldn't be thirsty for two? Is he not motivated?

I think the word "chasing" is important. I'm sure most guys are satisfied after they're first ring when they get it at the end of their careers like Bobbie Williams. A guy like Torrey Smith who got it so early is probably looking for multiple rings but Boldin has been wanting this for so many years. He lost in a Super Bowl and being that close probably made the hunger grow.

He probably wants another one but is satisfied with the one that has eluded him his entire career.

We should sign him to a 2 or 3 year extension and give him a $4-6M signing bonus with a minimum base salary, that way his cap number would drop to 2 or 3 million dollars. Everyone wins.

Bring back Q!!!

isn't this like a slap in the face though if he wasn't on the team would we have won? No we would not have won .there are players who ride the bench do nothing and still they are on the roster. not turning this into a rant but wow . It's mind boggling that this is even happening.

I have been told it's business not personal. well personally i think this is a bad decision . i could sit and list at least ten players who can go so this doesn't happen .

Just rumours, but this is a horrible decision if true. Read on twitter thay we were very close to releasing Boldin yesterday and very much expected to release him unless something very drastic happens!

I can't believe that we are really thinking about releasing him. IMO, he doesn't deserve to be asked to take a cut either.

Here are the must-have qualities he brings:

1) Locker room leadership: Losing Ray Lewis and Birk will take a toll on that 'motivating' factor. We need Boldin to continue to bring his.

2) Flacco's guy: We just paid our QB...why would we take away his most reliable target?

3) Veteran leadership to the WRs: We're going to bring in some in draft and maybe FA. We need Boldin as a mentor.

4) HE CAN STILL PLAY VERY WELL!

It just doesnt make sense to risk 5 years of Danelle Ellerbe to hold onto Anquin Boldin for one Season.

We need Boldin, imo.

The comments on that PFT article are so dumb by the way, people will find any reason to blame this on Flacco, as if his cap his is preventing the Ravens from signing anyone

isn't this like a slap in the face though if he wasn't on the team would we have won? No we would not have won .there are players who ride the bench do nothing and still they are on the roster. not turning this into a rant but wow . It's mind boggling that this is even happening.

No it is not a slap in the face. We have a salary cap and cannot afford to pay him. It is as simple as that. Bench riders don't carry a 7 million dollar cap number. If they did, they would be cut.

Torrey is not good enough to be a #1 and Jacoby, as Houston learned, is not good enough to be a #2. Keeping Boldin is paramount.

I hope they don't release the guy. Some of those catches and TDs where he had a defenders arm between his and the football were spectacular, every WR can't do that.

Boldin is a leader, very vocal, and very physical. He was critical in our run to the Super Bowl. He's a Raven. I hope he resigns to a smaller deal. Blah!

Mind blowing.... boldin. If we can't afford Ellerbe then so be it. Its ashame but he's chasing the money it seems. I'd rather draft a mlb 1st rd and let whomever get game expirrence In 2014... ooh and I think Chris Gamble would look good in a ravens uniform. Just sayn

Mind blowing.... boldin. If we can't afford Ellerbe then so be it. Its ashame but he's chasing the money it seems. I'd rather draft a mlb 1st rd and let whomever get game expirrence In 2014... ooh and I think Chris Gamble would look good in a ravens uniform. Just sayn

Unfortunately it's not a "so be it" situation...we have zero depth at MLB.

Probably is killing him that after all that effort he put on field, his only reward is either getting cut/paycut.

Ravens were so close to Cutting Boldin Friday night, so close that Boldin even wrote a statement thanking the organization for everything the past couple of years, now the Ravens appear hopeful to work something out with Q and have asked him to take a pay Cut http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Free-Agency-Rumor-Mill/da7e6d28-8129-4b6b-a443-b543b4d8d47b

You cannot pay your QB top dollar and then take away his most reliable weapon. Stupid.

Aaron Wilson@RavensInsider

One more thing on Boldin, Ravens don't have to cut him per se because they are under the cap, $12.263 million under But they want more space

This guy has given his all for the Ravens. Very few on this board were able to understand the domino effect of the Flacco contract.....and we aren't even in year four yet... Boldin's biggest games are when the Ravens need him most hopefully something can be worked out to keep him in this uniform but if they have to part ways look no further than number 5's insistance that he be the highest paid quarterback in the league , yet states " it was never about the money."

I'd be happy to see Boldin sign a three year extension but a pay cut tells me he may not be in the plans after next season.

To me there is just simpler ways around this, for instance Vontae Leach was only used 40% of the time under Caldwell and is due a pretty decent pay day and also Jameel Mclain. Boldin is more important to this team than both and is harder to replace!

This guy has given his all for the Ravens. Very few on this board were able to understand the domino effect of the Flacco contract.....and we aren't even in year four yet... Boldin's biggest games are when the Ravens need him most hopefully something can be worked out to keep him in this uniform but if they have to part ways look no further than number 5's insistance that he be the highest paid quarterback in the league , yet states " it was never about the money."

I'd be happy to see Boldin sign a three year extension but a pay cut tells me he may not be in the plans after next season.

Nice try, but Flacco's contract has nothing to do with this, given that his cap hit is actually lower than Boldin's this year. This is more about the Ravens not wanting to pay an older receiver $8M.

I understand what the Ravens are trying to because they would save $6mil in cap space if they cut him but we have no one to replace him

Brian McFarland@RavensSalaryCap

Release of Boldin would create $6M in Cap savings. It's a BIG chunk for what they want to otherwise do but would be hard pill to swallow IMO