#1 gregreid5

gregreid5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:02 AM

This is what my offseason would look like heading into the draft

Cut Vonta Leach- hes the best FB in the game but we just dont use a FB enough to warrant his salary. Saves us $3 million.

Cut Sam Koch- Hes just not a good punter. Had a horrible playoffs and is paid like an all pro. Savings this year basically 0 when a replacement is factored in but we get him off the books for subsequent years when his salaries go up into the 3 million range and we will need future cap space.

Cut Jameel McClain- This is predicated on resigning Ellerbe but McClain getting cut saves us 1.8 million and a cap hit next year. He just wasnt that good this year before his injury and hes making too much. 80/20 rule comes strongly into affect when you look at other options.

Cut Bobbie Williams- Save 1.2 million for a guy who brings nothing for us

Obviously a lot will depend on Flacco's contract numbers and cap hits but right now, those moves save us 6.7 million.

Resign
Ellerbe- After Flacco he is our most important guy. We lose Ray Lewis and Ellerbe played at a very high level last year. He scares me if we give us a lot of bonus

Ed Reed- We cannot afford to overpay but losing him and Lewis would hurt all at once. Reed is a savvy vet and is always in the head of the top QBs we would face in the offseason.

Bryant McKinnie- He looked great in the playoffs but character issues will scare teams away. I think a 1 yr 3 million deal with 1 million Bonus and the other 2 million guaranteed based on offseason workout arrangements and him showing up and going through training camp like everyone else with no problems.

Some Free Agents I like for us

Shaun Phillips- a true 3-4 OLB who can still produce. Would be a good fit to replace upshaw on pass rushing downs and give us that 80/20 version of Kruger.

Terrance Knighton- Character issues make him someone who wont command much money but truth is the Jags dont have the vets or the wins to get through to someone like him. The structure of our organization and a tight leash might make him worth the risk. Sell him on one good year with us and hes a UFA again commanding actual money

#2 Baltimore Buckeyes

Baltimore Buckeyes

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Posted Image

Sam Koch isn't a good punter?

draftsig.png

Defense wins championships.

#3 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:07 AM

you had me going until you said to cut sam koch. if we're going by bad post-seasons, we might as well cut #27 while we're at it, right?

#4 gregreid5

gregreid5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Sam Koch cannot punt in cold weather (playoffs) and had a horrible playoffs. A punter is not worth 3 million a year regardless. There are UDFA punter's who will make 490K and can replace AT LEAST 80% of the production we get from Koch.

Suggs, Ngata, Flacco, Rice and Co. make entirely too much money to pay a punter 3 million dollars a year. Koch has a cap number around 3 million for 2014 and 2015.

EDIT: As for the cutting Ray Rice comment, Koch's salary would be the equivalent of Rice making 12 million a year when factoring in positional value. Rice is on an uncuttable, below market contract. Rice's cap hit would be higher if we cut him then if we keep him for the next 3 seasons because 2/3 of his contract is bonus money. Rice is also a bargain.

Koch is slated to be paid like a top 5 punter in the NFL. Not only is he not a top 5 punter, but the Ravens cannot afford to pay any punter 3 million a year. You think I want to cut Leach? He is the best FB in the NFL. We need to spend our money on DL, pass rushers and OL now that the skill players are set on offense and we have a good secondary (if Reed is resigned)

Edited by gregreid5, 02 March 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#5 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Sam Koch cannot punt in cold weather (playoffs) and had a horrible playoffs. A punter is not worth 3 million a year regardless. There are UDFA punter's who will make 490K and can replace AT LEAST 80% of the production we get from Koch.

Suggs, Ngata, Flacco, Rice and Co. make entirely too much money to pay a punter 3 million dollars a year. Koch has a cap number around 3 million for 2014 and 2015.

EDIT: As for the cutting Ray Rice comment, Koch's salary would be the equivalent of Rice making 12 million a year when factoring in positional value. Rice is on an uncuttable, below market contract. Rice's cap hit would be higher if we cut him then if we keep him for the next 3 seasons because 2/3 of his contract is bonus money. Rice is also a bargain.

Koch is slated to be paid like a top 5 punter in the NFL. Not only is he not a top 5 punter, but the Ravens cannot afford to pay any punter 3 million a year. You think I want to cut Leach? He is the best FB in the NFL. We need to spend our money on DL, pass rushers and OL now that the skill players are set on offense and we have a good secondary (if Reed is resigned)

from what I've read, koch is being paid 1.9 mil next year. yes, this might seem a bit excessive, but to cut him, of all people, just because he had a sub-par playoff is ludicrous. i agree that we have higher priorities, but to cut a PUNTER isn't entirely necessary. on another note, Sam is a tremendous all-around athlete. he kind of deserves the benefit of the doubt right now.

Edited by Latch, 02 March 2013 - 11:33 AM.

#6 gregreid5

gregreid5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

from what I've read, koch is being paid 1.9 mil next year. yes, this might seem a bit excessive, but to cut him, of all

I dont Hate Sam Koch. Here is his contract

http://www.spotrac.c...avens/sam-koch/

Cutting him now saves us 700K and if we replace him with someone with Tucker's salary we get 220K savings this year. Doesnt seem like its in our best interests.

However, you need to look toward the future. Cap Hits of 2.8 million for 2014 and 3.1 million for 2015 will be replaced with 480K. Those giant savings in future years allow us to artificially lower a deal for someone like Ellerbe with a low cap number this year, letting the Koch savings help deflect a higher number in future years.

You cannot have a veteran at every position and when you have the highest paid QB in the NFL, punter is probably the first position that needs to get put on a minimum contract and real quick

#7 sliceanddic3

sliceanddic3

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:40 AM

Cut Leach? Besides Flacco, he's arguably the best player on our offense, and one of the best FB's in the league. That doesn't make sense. Koch too? I just hope the FO doesn't listen to you.

Edited by sliceanddic3, 02 March 2013 - 11:41 AM.

Posted Image

Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Keep calm and stay based. @LILBTHEBASEDGOD

"They already declared war on us… We’re taking 53 men to the apocalypse and we ain’t bringin no flowers with us."
- Terrell Suggs

#8 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,085 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

I didn't read this yet, but this is the wrong place for this.

With that said, I don't think Sam Koch is assured a roster spot. He hasn't been as good these past two years. Not sure if it's age or what. I don't know if he's going to see himself cut, though. That might not be happening. But, I can definitely see us bring someone in to compete with him at the very least.

#9 gregreid5

gregreid5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Cut Leach? Besides Flacco, he's arguably the best player on our offense, and one of the best FB's in the league. That doesn't make sense. Koch too? I just hope the FO doesn't listen to you.

Your talking about paying a FB and a Punter a combined 6.8 million dollars. Would you rather cut Jacoby Jones? Boldin? Or would you rather let Ellerbe walk. The NFL is a salary cap league and we have the highest paid player in football playing QB for us. We also have Ngata and Suggs with averages in the 13 million/yr range for the duration of their contracts. Tough decisions need to be made. Leach played 25% of the snaps once Caldwell took over and Koch is a punter. I am a HUGE leach fan and acknowledge that hes the best FB in the NFL. Thats just a luxury we cannot afford at this point

I didn't read this yet, but this is the wrong place for this.

With that said, I don't think Sam Koch is assured a roster spot. He hasn't been as good these past two years. Not sure if it's age or what. I don't know if he's going to see himself cut, though. That might not be happening. But, I can definitely see us bring someone in to compete with him at the very least.

Possibility that he gets cut Cundiff style if they like the option in training camp just as much

Edited by gregreid5, 02 March 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#10 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:10 PM

i mean, if some great punter stumbles along into TC and out-punts Koch, i have no issue with bringing a new guy in. however, to cut him solely for the purpose of saving money is a bit much.

as for leach, he is probably the best blocker on the entire team. rice running the ball with leach on the field vs him running without is a dramatic difference, and ray will own up to it, too. he's a solid run-blocker, a solid pass-blocker and has shown recently that he can catch the ball, too. while i agree that the FB is typically a useless position, in this team's case the FB plays a vital role.

#11 gregreid5

gregreid5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

i mean, if some great punter stumbles along into TC and out-punts Koch, i have no issue with bringing a new guy in. however, to cut him solely for the purpose of saving money is a bit much.

as for leach, he is probably the best blocker on the entire team. rice running the ball with leach on the field vs him running without is a dramatic difference, and ray will own up to it, too. he's a solid run-blocker, a solid pass-blocker and has shown recently that he can catch the ball, too. while i agree that the FB is typically a useless position, in this team's case the FB plays a vital role.

If you look at the offense under caldwell, Leach played roughly 30% of the snaps. I expect us to open the offense up more under Flacco and use more 2 TE and 3 WR sets. Flacco looked much better in these situations last year.

I love Leach as a person and as a player. I just find it hard to say a player who played 30% of our snaps in the wins versus the Patriots and 49ers is considered vital. I dont want us to cut leach but I would say keeping Ellerbe, Boldin, Jacoby and locking up Pitta Long Term are all ahead of Leach. If we can do all of that then great but if not, then Leach is a casualty of us giving our QB 120 million and we will use very little IFORM and instead use the pass to set up the run moving forward

#12 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

If you look at the offense under caldwell, Leach played roughly 30% of the snaps. I expect us to open the offense up more under Flacco and use more 2 TE and 3 WR sets. Flacco looked much better in these situations last year.

I love Leach as a person and as a player. I just find it hard to say a player who played 30% of our snaps in the wins versus the Patriots and 49ers is considered vital. I dont want us to cut leach but I would say keeping Ellerbe, Boldin, Jacoby and locking up Pitta Long Term are all ahead of Leach. If we can do all of that then great but if not, then Leach is a casualty of us giving our QB 120 million and we will use very little IFORM and instead use the pass to set up the run moving forward

if the ravens did cut leach, do you think they would replace him with some 350k salary college kid? i think that having a good FB is important for many reasons, but i also see that Vonta is a little too pricey for the short amount of game time he gets. either way, he's a playmaker who would be sorely missed, and unlike Koch he cant be replaced as easily. it would be a big blow to the team.

#13 gregreid5

gregreid5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

if the ravens did cut leach, do you think they would replace him with some 350k salary college kid? i think that having a good FB is important for many reasons, but i also see that Vonta is a little too pricey for the short amount of game time he gets. either way, he's a playmaker who would be sorely missed, and unlike Koch he cant be replaced as easily. it would be a big blow to the team.

I agree with everything you said. I think we replace him with a 350K guy and we would just not use the position. Patriots among other teams have just stopped really using the FB. We failed enough 3rd and 1s and 3rd and 2s running that we should probably throw on those anyway. I hope we find a replacement for leach but he has a big cap # for the amount of snaps he takes. If we can maybe extend boldin and keep leach this year the team would be better off though

#14 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,015 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Why does this look copy and pasted?
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#15 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,496 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:36 PM

Oher is someone who could be extended as is leach. Both in final years of their deals, turn their big base salaries into bonuses and extended them 3 or 4 years reducing their cap hits. It's likely oher would be extended next off season anyway why not do it now

#16 gregreid5

gregreid5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:58 PM

Why does this look copy and pasted?

I wrote it on another website and copied it from there to discuss it here

#17 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,179 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Arnie, my friend, Leach should stay. He has good hands out of the backfield and punishes people with his blocks. Koch has been with us since he was drafted in 2006. We can always bring in an UDFA punter to compete, but Koch is the man for the next 3 or 4 years. Now, extending Reed, Oher, Leach, Jones, and Boldin sound like a good idea. How about restructuring Suggs and Ngata while we are at it? I predict that McKinnie will be back. He earned his contract in the playoffs. Let's get Ellerbe signed soon. I don't mind letting Kruger and Williams test the market. We can always pick up their replacements in the draft.

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

#18 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,015 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:30 PM

I wrote it on another website and copied it from there to discuss it here

As long as it's YOUR work.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#19 gregreid5

gregreid5

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:36 PM

As long as it's YOUR work.

with that terrible writing style and word structure its clearly not written by someone who writes for a living but I get the point you guys are trying to make. Definitely dont want plagiarized work. I wrote it on another football website where there arent enough ravens so I figured I would bring it over here

#20 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,015 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

with that terrible writing style and word structure its clearly not written by someone who writes for a living but I get the point you guys are trying to make. Definitely dont want plagiarized work. I wrote it on another football website where there arent enough ravens so I figured I would bring it over here

Didn't accuse you, just making sure and clarifying. We've had issues with it earlier this year.
a9skd1.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users