Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SecretAgentMan

Free Agents we can afford

93 posts in this topic

Other than our own players, Oz has a tendency to go after the smaller guys, and is usually rewarded handsomely.

Two years ago it was Leach, Pollard, and Mckinnie. Who were all critical components in our SB run. All came for cheap

Last year it was Grahm, Jacoby, and JTuck(who was technically a FA). We got an all pro KR/PR, a kicker for the next ten years, and a starting CB.

Well, none of these guys were big names, yet they produced so much. So who's Oz going to get this year?

Possible targets.
Demetress Bell.
While an injury risk, he's a good Olinemen when healthy. Our doctors are some of the best in the NFL. They helped out Yanda, and allowed Ray, Suggs, and Ngata to return quickly. He's a good player who will prob come cheap.

Roy Miller. DT/NT Tampa Bay
An unsung hero on the Bucs D. Was a huge part of a great Run D. No one knows who he is due to him not being a big name. Well, Pollard wasn't a big name either. Most importantly, he is YOUNG. 26, he's about to hit his prime. I think he's a top priority on Ozzies big board, and TB prob won't bring him back bc of McCoy, and past injury history.

Sammie Lee Hill DT.
Same as above. I think he could be a great DT, and he's a better pass rusher than Miller. Another potential cheap target

Connor Barwin. LB Houston Texans
You knew this was coming. Another Texan.
After a down year, and the emergence of Merculis, I think he's on the market. IMHO, I don't think he was having a down year, he was rather getting overshadowed by Watt. I don't think a team will overpay for him due to lack of production(see Jacoby Jones, Pollard, arguably the best SS and KR/PR in the game, weren't producing in Houston). While he will most likely be a moderately price free agent, I think Ozzie is a candidate to get him. A replacement for Kruger is in order, and it's not all that unrealistic. Players like
Kruger
Dayrl Smith
Wheeler
Phillips
Barnett
and Lawson
Will be pursued more than Barwin.

And Lastly
Kevin Ogeltree WR.
Lack of production bc of Bryant and Austin. Add to the fact that Romo was his QB and we have a low profile WR with high amounts of talent. I wouldn't mind picking him up

Post other FA that come to mind below

According to PFF Connar Barwin was one of the worst OLBs this season besides that im down to bring in some DT to win that job over Cody!

[quote name='AsianRice' timestamp='1362191855' post='1374448']
BOLDIN
[/quote]

Boldin is still under contract.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1362192082' post='1374452']

Not our own Free Agents :P
[/quote]
I want Boldin so bad...:P

[quote name='RavenzAllDay' timestamp='1362192104' post='1374453']
According to PFF Connar Barwin was one of the worst OLBs this season besides that im down to bring in some DT to win that job over Cody!
[/quote]
Yes, and if I'm correct, Jacoby also sucked and so did Pollard. Now look at us

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1362192658' post='1374477']
Apparently we've shown a bit of interest in Ricky Jean Francois (NT)
[/quote]
You mean the backup NT on the ninersz?

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1362192801' post='1374480']
[/quote]

Yeah that would be him. Apparently he'll be cheap, and I'm sure he can't be any worse than Cody and Kemo, so hey, I'm down.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1362192801' post='1374480']
[/quote]

Yep

[quote name='rmw10' timestamp='1362193382' post='1374492']
Yeah that would be him. Apparently he'll be cheap, and I'm sure [b]he can't be any worse than Cody and Kemo[/b], so hey, I'm down.
[/quote]

That's the truth.

Sammie Lee Hill is criminally underrated and could start for most teams, he's exactly the kind of NT with athleticism we need. Could probably play 3-4 DE.

Erin Henderson is underrated too for a complete 3 down linebacker, and unlike Ellerbe he can cover and can stay healthy.

No to [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ogeltree. We need a tall big bodied guy for the red zone. Other than that we need to adress DT/NT. Than lets see how our linebacker situation is[/font][/color]

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1362195267' post='1374544']
Sammie Lee Hill is criminally underrated and could start for most teams, he's exactly the kind of NT with athleticism we need. Could probably play 3-4 DE.

Erin Henderson is underrated too for a complete 3 down linebacker, and unlike Ellerbe he can cover and can stay healthy.
[/quote]
Lee hill will prob be highly sought out tho :(

as long as ozzies here, i don't care who comes here. in oz we trust.

PS i like the ogletree idea.

I'd kill to have Roy Miller or Sammie Lee Hill here. Love the way both of them play, but I am not happy you made this thread with those names, Irrev. Not happy at all.

I like the idea of bringing in Casey Hampton...first to annoy Steelers and second to push Cody and possibly help his development. plus he will be cheap

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1362197198' post='1374588']
I like the idea of bringing in Casey Hampton...first to annoy Steelers and second to push Cody and possibly help his development. plus he will be cheap
[/quote]
The fact that they're going to implode is annoying enough to them.
Our goal is to get younger lol. Only reason why I don't want Hampton. Vet min at most for him

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362196084' post='1374566']
I'd kill to have Roy Miller or Sammie Lee Hill here. Love the way both of them play, but I am not happy you made this thread with those names, Irrev. Not happy at all.
[/quote]
Because so many NFL GMs read my thread :P

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1362197383' post='1374594']

Because so many NFL GMs read my thread :P
[/quote]
It's not NFL GMs that concern me at this moment. :P

[quote name='Ravensuperfan1' timestamp='1362197390' post='1374595']
yall think Mr. Hat slip is that good?
[/quote]
A good enough slot WR yes. Boldin to the outiside isn't bad. Ogeltree also provides some speed. I wouldn't mind if he joined us. Boldin is a WR who can go everywhere. Ogeltree also has better hands than Jacoby Jones

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362197675' post='1374598']

It's not NFL GMs that concern me at this moment. :P
[/quote]
The trolls are coming aren't they?

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1362197339' post='1374593']
The fact that they're going to implode is annoying enough to them.
Our goal is to get younger lol. Only reason why I don't want Hampton. Vet min at most for him
[/quote]

I would love to get younger too, but younger usually means pricier or draft...Also Ozzie is well known for bringing in veteran stop gaps, especially on the DL, that make solid contributions for cheap ala Corey Redding, Trevor Pryce, Kemo...I think another guy who may fit that mold is Richard Seymour and I think he could be a very effective player for us.

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1362199101' post='1374619']
I would love to get younger too, but younger usually means pricier or draft...Also Ozzie is well known for bringing in veteran stop gaps, especially on the DL, that make solid contributions for cheap ala Corey Redding, Trevor Pryce, Kemo...I think another guy who may fit that mold is [b]Richard Seymour[/b] and I think he could be a very effective player for us.
[/quote]
I thought about that the other day as well. He was the 34 DE prototype, surely he has a year or 2 left at a skill level where he can win at the point of attack in the run game.

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1362199101' post='1374619']

I would love to get younger too, but younger usually means pricier or draft...Also Ozzie is well known for bringing in veteran stop gaps, especially on the DL, that make solid contributions for cheap ala Corey Redding, Trevor Pryce, Kemo...I think another guy who may fit that mold is Richard Seymour and I think he could be a very effective player for us.
[/quote]
Seymour and his ego that's larger than his IQ? Good player, but IDK

[quote name='RavenzAllDay' timestamp='1362192104' post='1374453']
[/quote]
We picked up Kemo last year and he easily took Cody's job. Cody needs to get off the donuts and get on the treadmill.

Ozzie will have to replace at least 12 players that will be lost to FA/retirement/cuts. Cody is a bust

[quote name='omar586' timestamp='1362200511' post='1374644']
Ozzie will have to replace at least 12 players that will be lost to FA/retirement/cuts. Cody is a bust
[/quote]
At least 7 will come from the draft....

And then there were five

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1362197198' post='1374588']
[/quote]

no Steelers. NO STEELERS! Hampton isn't even all that anymore.

[quote name='Bruce_Almty' timestamp='1362200028' post='1374635']

We picked up Kemo last year and he easily took Cody's job. Cody needs to get off the donuts and get on the treadmill.
[/quote]

Cory lost weight on offseason. He actually weigh in lower than Kemo. The problem is his skill is just not in par w/ NFL. He is another stud college product that wasnt meant to be in NFL. Time to move on and find another NT this year on draft. Hopefully we strike a bullseye this time.

As much as I hate the team, I wouldn't be surprised to see Max Starks be signed for a 2yr deal and allow a young guy to develop. I'm sure BMac is the first option but the Ravens won't wait on him. If he doesn't want the offer, Starks would be a nice replacement. Not great but a quality guy and at 31 he still has some years left.

Dare I say Casey Hampton could replace Kemo. I'd much much much rather have a young well rounded guy to plug in at NT. However if one can't be signed at a reasonable price, a guy like Casey Hampton could really help the run defense up the middle. He could also teach what young guy is added. He's 35 so that's not ideal, but he's still a option.

Ok don't beat me up too bad. Here are some non Steelers.

Dan Koppen is a guy who is familiar with the uptempo/no huddle shotgun offense. He's used to making the line calls and hving the game run at the LOS from his years with Brady and Peyton last year. He could provide a veteran presence and give Gino another pair of eyes during film study.

Richard Seymour would be a nice 1yr rental to rotate with Art. He's a guy that also knows what it takes to defend a Super Bowl. In fact all of these guy know what that's like.

I like Jean-Francois, Alan Branch and Roy Miller. OLB Victor Butler is a really interesting option too.

[quote name='Ravenseconbeast' timestamp='1362208679' post='1374730']
Cory lost weight on offseason. He actually weigh in lower than Kemo. The problem is his skill is just not in par w/ NFL. He is another stud college product that wasnt meant to be in NFL. Time to move on and find another NT this year on draft. Hopefully we strike a bullseye this time.
[/quote]

Agree; I'm hoping for Jesse Williams, John Hankins, or Kawann Short. They seem to be available around 32.

For those mentioning Roy Miller, do you guys really think he can be a 3-4 NT? He looks limited to the 4-3 in my opinion. I just don't see him holding up the same in a 3-4.

[quote name='Mr. Irrelevant' timestamp='1362192295' post='1374465']

Yes, and if I'm correct, Jacoby also sucked and so did Pollard. Now look at us
[/quote]

Lol true.. Just sayin', for the right price i wouldnt be against it

While this may not be a popular opinion (and it may have already been mentioned; TL, DR) I would suggest John Abraham as a potential replacement for Kruger. He fits the mold: old vet who was cut who may have a year or two being a productive pass rusher, used in a rotation. I can really see us sign him, especially since he will not lose us any compensatory draft picks and shouldn't be all that expensive.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362235747' post='1374874']
While this may not be a popular opinion (and it may have already been mentioned; TL, DR) I would suggest John Abraham as a potential replacement for Kruger. He fits the mold: old vet who was cut who may have a year or two being a productive pass rusher, used in a rotation. I can really see us sign him, especially since he will not lose us any compensatory draft picks and shouldn't be all that expensive.
[/quote]

For vet minimum he'd be a good fit. He had a good season last year in Atlanta. He could turn out to be like Trevor Pryce was for us in 2006.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1362236285' post='1374883']

For vet minimum he'd be a good fit. He had a good season last year in Atlanta. He could turn out to be like Trevor Pryce was for us in 2006.
[/quote]
We might not be able to sign him that cheap. As you said, he had a good season last year. I could see a 2M/yr deal for maybe two years. Perhaps 3M. That's pretty cheap for a pass rusher.

Abraham is an interesting one as Grim said he may be too pricey, but he would be a good option.

On the Max Starks option do you think he will garner more or less or about the same as McKinnie in the open market - as I would prefer McKinnie...thoughts?

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1362237748' post='1374912']
Abraham is an interesting one as Grim said he may be too pricey, but he would be a good option.

On the Max Starks option do you think he will garner more or less or about the same as McKinnie in the open market - as I would prefer McKinnie...thoughts?
[/quote]
Mckinnie

Do you think we will be able to afford McKinnie? I think we will all want him but will he be asking more than a guy like Starks?

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1362237748' post='1374912']

[/quote]
I think Starks will be cheaper and I don't think he's all that bad. Having KO next to him should help him a lot. I think with KO next to Starks he could be serviceable at least.

And Abraham, I don't know. You think 3M is expensive? It's not that much for a pass rusher. It really, really depends on his market. But I could see him come here, or possibly a Darryl Tapp-type of player. We normally look for cut veteran FAs, though. That seems to be Ozzie's forte.

Connor Barwin is intriguing. He needs to get out of Watts shadow.

Hampton is not an upgrade. I say go young atDT"

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362238270' post='1374921']
I think Starks will be cheaper and I don't think he's all that bad. Having KO next to him should help him a lot. I think with KO next to Starks he could be serviceable at least.

And Abraham, I don't know. You think 3M is expensive? It's not that much for a pass rusher. It really, really depends on his market. But I could see him come here, or possibly a Darryl Tapp-type of player. We normally look for cut veteran FAs, though. That seems to be Ozzie's forte.
[/quote]

For me it depends on seeing Flaccos contract, than getting Ellerbe - I am guessing at that point it may be tricky, I would rather the 3M+ go to Ed Reed than Abraham if I had a say...

I think Barwin will get more money somewhere else. But he is a former Texan, and we love former Texans.

I'm on board with signing Abraham or Seymour if they come cheap enough. I'd love to add another veteran, solid rotation guy. I think Seymours fire would re-kindle playing with us.

Maybe a Steve Breaston? Shaun Cody, Tavares Gooden comeback? ---Don't know exactly what their value is though.

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1362240360' post='1374955']
For me it depends on seeing Flaccos contract, than getting Ellerbe - I am guessing at that point it may be tricky, I would rather the 3M+ go to Ed Reed than Abraham if I had a say...
[/quote]
I agree with you there. But let me make a point here: just because we sign Abraham to 3M doesn't mean we can't get Reed back. We could do a new deal with Boldin for another 2 years, which would make him a Raven for three more years.

In 2013, Anquan makes 6M in base salary and the final 1.5M of his signing bonus. You can't change the signing bonus as far as I know. But, you can take the 6M base salary and turn it into a signing bonus and split it into three years. Or, you could even see if he would take a pay cut to remain on the team after his recent comments.

But let's say, worst-case scenario, he wants his 6M. Okay, you give it to him in the form of a signing bonus. Split it into three years, which is 2M signing bonus each year (not bad). Give him a 2013 veteran minimum deal, which I believe is 1M. So, this would be his new deal:

Anquan Boldin, 3-year deal (2013, 2014, 2015)
2013: 1M base salary (vet minimum), 1.5M original signing bonus owed, 2M new signing bonus = 4.5M for a savings of 3 million.
2014: 2.5M base salary, 2M signing bonus = 4.5M cap hit.
2015: 4M base salary, 2M signing bonus = 6M cap hit.

You can cut/retire Boldin in the final year of his deal and only have to pay 2M in dead money, which isn't a lot at all.

Since we saved 3M on Anquan's deal, you sign Abraham to a 2-year, 7.5M deal max (incentives).
2013: 1.5M base with 2M signing bonus = 3.5M 2013 salary.
2014: 3M base salary, 2M signing bonus = 5M 2013 salary.

This is just an example, of course. But I think it shows a way we can create cap, remain competitive, and still not overspend. It all hinges on whether Abraham would take that kind of deal. In reality, his market could be a lot larger. But, I could see Ozzie make a move for him. He would provide a nice rotation for us.