Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Ravens May Eye Pass Rusher Early

42 posts in this topic

The Ravens are looking to add a pass rusher, and there could be some premier targets available.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Ravens-May-Eye-Pass-Rusher-Early/f377ad5b-f642-477e-b6bc-53052c213ae2]View the full article[/url]

Let's go for a taller pass rusher. If anything they can get their hands up and tip a few passes.

Dion Jordan's a great player the Ravens would have the steal of the draft if he drops to 32

Hopefully Mike Mcadoo 6'7" 245lbs will be healthy this year for us! He is a freak as well D/OLB. Dont forget about our practice squad guys stepping up! Tommy Streeter (WR), Adrian Hamilton (LB), Bobby Rainey (RB), Ramon Harewood. All of these guys on PS could help fill holes for us next season!

I would still like to see Macadoo this year though he has shown so much potential in the preseason

[quote name='jrs034' timestamp='1361994677' post='1371467']
Dion Jordan's a great player the Ravens would have the steal of the draft if he drops to 32
[/quote]

He will not be anywhere near the 32nd pick

[quote name='Eat Sleep-N-Breath Purple' timestamp='1361994697' post='1371468']
Hopefully Mike Mcadoo 6'7" 245lbs will be healthy this year for us! He is a freak as well D/OLB. Dont forget about our practice squad guys stepping up! Tommy Streeter (WR), Adrian Hamilton (LB), Bobby Rainey (RB), Ramon Harewood. All of these guys on PS could help fill holes for us next season!
[/quote]

I believe the only one in this group I can see having potential is McAdoo.

I would ultimately prefer to have Kruger back but I don't think he will be willing to take what we will be able to offer him.

I'm not going to act like we have the number 17TH and 23RD picks! So, wishing we get one of the marquis Hybrid DE pass rushers is like spitting in the wind! lol

We best look for s steal down the line and take that number 32nd pick and sure up the O or D lines!

So many directions we can go for this upcoming April's NFL Draft. Should be some interesting readings these next several months.

Go Ravens !!

Potentially losing Paul and Sizzle still in recovery (hopefully can be fully speed in 2013) so this would make sense. We've been looking for a guy to pair with Sizzle for years but now he's 30 and coming off an Achilles injury.

There will be plenty of talent available when we pick, and even better talent if we trade up a time or 2 so we can get who we want instead of who is available.

If Dion Jordan got hit by a car it would be highly unlikely for him fall to the 32nd pick. We would have to trade up almost no doubt.

Dion Jordan, all the way... I know I'm banking on his injury concern for him to slide back...

but your looking at a Player who other then Jarvis Jones is Projected to be best Defensive Player in draft..

a pototype 3-4 DE/OLB ... Von Miller, T-Sizzle esque

Same with Jarvid Jones DE/OLB, Mel Kiper JR. NO.1 overall highest rated player Prototype 3-4 DE/OLB... Von Miller T-Sizzle type.... Sack Machine

he is sliding over concerns of spinal issues..

if either of these dudes fall to around 20 I would go up and get them...

Ziggy Ansah, Alex Okafor, Dion Jordan, Malliciah Goodman, Margus Hunt, Khaseeme Greene, Sam Montgomery, Bjoern Werner, all memorable names and all good choices for the Ravens at least IMO.

There is no way Jordan falls to us at 32... Margus Hunt (same body type) might be there!?! "might"... That's If we even wanna go that route... Whoever Ozzie and the FO decides to pick is a ok with me!

Since there are so many good players later in the draft don't be surprised if the Ravens trade out of the first round again.

I'd much rather see Hamilton step up off of the Practice Squad and get his reps in during the season, as opposed to drafting Te'o. For whatever reason, I do not get a good feelin about him.

Speaking of which, has Michael McAddo finally gotten healthy, we've seen nothing from him at all because of injuries so why not? Let's not forget more play time for DeAngelo Tyson too.

Not opposed to drafting Te'o though.

Wasn't Upshaw supposed to be the pass rusher? Why don't we give him another year? Don't the Ravens have more pressing needs? Like Jesse Williams sized needs?

Hunt feels like a good choice, but I doubt even he will be there at 32. That happens when everybody can't stop saying he is a freak of nature. Which leads to some very good players at other positions being there... I trust the best available mantra. It's been working and should work again.

upshaw always seem to be a second to late getting to the qb i hope he gets a little quicker. Jordan wont get anywhere close to 32

ps: I know everybody's stressed out over who we're going to pick but I for one have no worry' Ozzie has his Super bowl,he can let it all hang out this draft take a chance[though with Ozzie it really isn't much of a gamble at all] who here doubts Ozzie knows his talent,so I say to everyone chill-out let the man do his thing,just going to be another star on his GM hall of fame resume!

Can't help remembering how different this process was last season... Seemed way more important - because this time last year there was nothing nearly as importnat arount that time. This season, however... The Super Bowl makes it all so much different... Don't get me wrong, this draft is of utmost importance, because we'll very probably have glaring holes in our lineup - still, it's so much less stressful (for us, fans at least...) to go through it as fans of the Super Bowl winner :)

bio

[quote name='T-Phizzle' timestamp='1362022230' post='1371930']
Wasn't Upshaw supposed to be the pass rusher? Why don't we give him another year? Don't the Ravens have more pressing needs? Like Jesse Williams sized needs?
[/quote]

I don't think Upshaw's status as a future starter as a pass rusher has been re-evaluated. He had a somewhat slower start to the season maybe, but I'd say he found his form for the second half of the season and the playoffs. I think if Kruger walks - and I'd be shocked (but also happy) if he didn't - we'll have the Suggs-Upshaw tandem starting.

Or is it just my thinking Upshaw did fine?

bio

[quote name='bioLarzen' timestamp='1362049459' post='1372105']
I don't think Upshaw's status as a future starter as a pass rusher has been re-evaluated. He had a somewhat slower start to the season maybe, but I'd say he found his form for the second half of the season and the playoffs. I think if Kruger walks - and I'd be shocked (but also happy) if he didn't - we'll have the Suggs-Upshaw tandem starting.

Or is it just my thinking Upshaw did fine?

bio
[/quote]

I, too, think that Courtney Upshaw is about to have a breakout year!

I suppose too many fans believe that drafted players join their respective teams and automatically excel as they did in college playing against future economists, pharmacists and civil servants! Actually, it's very much the opposite!

The first thing NFL coaches do is break down a rookie's youthful exuberance and make him "teachable"! Some get it faster than others! I'd actually say that Courtney is "on target" with the College-to-NFL Learning Curve!

Now, if anyone wants to question a player's desire versus his ability to adapt to the NFL,... I give you Sergio Kindle!

Ozzie will prevail and make the wise choices as usual. However, I do not see any way around NOT re-structuring at least 2 contracts. Probably Ngata and Suggs. The cap will not be going up until 2015. I think Boldin and Ellerbe MUST stay. Williams can go, we are deep there. Also can't forget about McKinnie.

I'd say given the way the defense was this past season, Courtney Upshaw did just fine for his role and I would be foolish if I thought he would instantly become a better pass rusher than even Demarcus Ware in his rookie year. Maybe he will be now that he has a year under his belt.

Upshaw played pretty well this season. He will only get better as a pass rusher, but Upshaw is very good against the run. If we bring in someone, they will be 3rd down players. I think upshaw can develop into a decent pass rusher, giving us 6-8 sacks a season. Losing Kruger will hurt, but that might be a blessing is disguise.

Jared Johnson was a good player, Paul Kruger's a good player! Both fit our scheme because then grew up under our scheme! Neither is a "game changer" - Terrell Suggs is a Game Changer!

Upshaw's on his way to becoming a good player, and may grow to become a game changer!

The question going forward is Kruger and Upshaw, I'm interested to see how they hunt now that Dannell Ellerbee's the "Big Dawg" in the middle!

I have a good feeling this draft will be a winner. We have focused on offense for the past few years and now it's time for defense. If it's one thing Ozzy knows how to do it's spot the defensive stars of the bunch. It's his time to shine!

Until we "eye up" Flaccos extremely hungry parasitic agent, Linta- how can we know what we are gonna do, until we know what we are gonna do with what we have or have not.

[quote name='berad' timestamp='1361998171' post='1371534']
Potentially losing Paul and Sizzle still in recovery (hopefully can be fully speed in 2013) so this would make sense. We've been looking for a guy to pair with Sizzle for years but now he's 30 and coming off an Achilles injury.
[/quote]
So what about Courtney Upshaw? He was drafted to play opposite of T-Sizzle. give him a chance. He jsut got finished his rookie season. I don't beleive we need a pass rusher if he turns out to be as good as everyone hopes he will be. Stick with picking an ILB and OT.

Courtney Upshaw will be the starting OLB opposite Suggs. He really started to come on strong last season when the Ravens started moving him around. I look for him to have a big season next year. However Sizzle is 30 and coming off 2 serious injuries. I'm sure he'll be 100% this season but the Ravens have to start planning for life after Sizzle. Sounds odd because the guy still seems young but he'll be 32 at the end of deal and may just retire. With a SB ring now, Suggs may decide to focus on his Film Making career and the Ravens have to be prepared for that.

With that said, I don't think the Ravens go pass rush early. I think a guy like Brandon Jekins will be the guy. First round talent, falls to mid round because of injury. Sounds like a Ravens type pick. He'd fill that role left by Kruger and then take over for Suggs. Jenkins would bring a lot of speed off the edge. Plus he's a complete player, teams tried to run to his side and he stuff them down at FSU.

Jenkins and Upshaw would make a really good duo for years.

Sign Kruger but don't forget Adrian Hamilton or Nigel Carr off the practice squad. How about Michael McAdoo? Two years on the IR must mean something. Sergio Kindle might be an answer. Why not go with Jones? and Pernell McPhee might be better than all those prospects. FIRST THOUGH get Joe under long term "insured" security that helps the salary cap. RESTRUCTURE,RESTRUCTURE,RESTRUCTURE and keep the Super Bowl players.

I believe "we" need a run stopping tackle more than a pass riusher. T-Sizzle healthy is "our" pass rusher. K-man was adequate but the need is there. We also "NEED" Bryant McKinnie at LT if Joe is to be bombing away next year after he gives the Ravens the home town sweet deal that let's Ozzie surround him with talent. PAY JOE HIS MONEY !!!

People often forget that Courtney Upshaw stepped in as a rookie, and played out of his head. Yes he isn't the ideal pass rushing threat of a 3-4 OLB, but he plays the run extremely well, much like Jarrett Johnson did for us for so many years. The only difference is that Upshaw hasn't found his pass rushing legs yet. Give him time.

As for the draft, if Margus Hunt is available at 32,I think you really have to debate about taking him. If not, hopefully trade the 32nd pick in the draft for a early-mid 2nd round pick, and perhaps a 3rd/4th round pick as well. the more picks you have, the more times you can take a gamble on guys that might not be in the picture if you only have 5-6 picks.

1st we need to re-sign Ellerbe and then a DT to stop the run. Most important of all is a LT where McKinnie is too old and fat to be effective for an entire season. You pay $120.6M to Flacco then you must protect him. Maybe KO is the answer but the Ravens better have a plan or Joe will be running for his life.