Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VA_Fan

Rumor: New England Patriots to offer Ed Reed $5 mil/year

120 posts in this topic

OMG..please say this is all a bad rumor. Oh well...good luck Ed. Thought he would want to go out on top.

[color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to league sources [/font][/color][url="https://www.boston.com/Boston/eom/SysConfig/WebPortal/Boston/Framework/regi/regi-login-register.jsp"]close to the Boston Globe[/url][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], the New England Patriots will try to bring Baltimore Ravens free safety [/font][/color][b][url="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/ReedEd00.htm?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-musketfire.com"]Ed Reed[/url][/b][color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] to the team by giving him $5 million per year. If this happens, then the Patriots will likely not key in on drafting a safety early on in the 2013 NFL Draft, and they will instead go for a wide receiver.....[/font][/color]

[color=#424242][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Read More[/font][/color]

[url="http://musketfire.com/2013/02/27/new-england-patriots-to-give-ed-reed-5-million/"]http://musketfire.co...reed-5-million/[/url]

[b] [/b]

Go for it. Ed is not worth 5 mill at this point in his career. If Ed doesn't want to stay loyal to the team that drafted him, then go ahead. Be exposed just like all the other players we've gotten rid of for one reason or another.

[quote name='Gtown Purple' timestamp='1361989499' post='1371371']
Why do you think they freed up cap space?
[/quote]

To sign other players like Welker?

I'll believe it when I see it. Id see Ed going to Indy with Pags faster then NE to BB. Just my opinion...

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1361989917' post='1371381']
I'll believe it when I see it. Id see Ed going to Indy with Pags faster then NE to BB. Just my opinion...
[/quote]

I don't think it would bother me so bad if he went to Indy. But I just can't stand the fact that he may be in a Patriots uniform.

[quote name='VA_Fan' timestamp='1361989805' post='1371378']
To sign other players like Welker?
[/quote]that was my thinking too for welker maybe more offensive weapons. i rather him go to the colts ......

Lol please don't start the panic. If you guys remeber, last year reports were that Ed Reed turned down a contract offer from the Ravens for 8M per. Ed talked disrespect because that 8M per was less then the top young safeties in the NFL.

If Ed turned down 8M per, why leave for 5M?

I've said all along that no other team will value and be willing to pay Ed Reed like the Ravens. They'll offer Ed like 3yrs 19-20M for Ed to retire here.

This news actuually hurts Ed Reed because NE is probably the only other team that will pay Ed and if they are only willing to offer 5M Ed loses leverage.

[quote name='Stephenjr' timestamp='1361991002' post='1371399']
Ed will be back in Bmore.He learned from Ray that money isn't everything and He said it himself he wants to stay.
[/quote]

Every player says they want to stay until they leave. Every single one of em.

[quote name='Stephenjr' timestamp='1361991002' post='1371399']
Ed will be back in Bmore.He learned from Ray that money isn't everything and He said it himself he wants to stay.
[/quote]

So i guess that means Kruger's gonna stay too? LOL. Don't go off what they say. In the end, money is more important than loyalty. That's business. I love Reed, don't get me wrong. But if the Patriots wanna throw $5M a year on a safety who can't tackle then..*waves goodbye*.

I wouldn't go off this rumor anyway to be honest. Remember when Ray had the Cowboys and Jets ready to "throw more money at him"? Free agency hit, and he came back with his tail between his legs.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1361991635' post='1371405']
[/quote]True,but I think Ed tasted something this year with winning the Superbowl.He saw how Brady looked against our D. And Joe knows Ed better then any QB in the league.Ed wants another ring and thats something money can't buy.Our team is a family and Ed is now the Father of our Ravens,and soon to be Baby Ravens.Daddy isn't leaving his nest trust me!!

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1361991768' post='1371407']
So i guess that means Kruger's gonna stay too? LOL. Don't go off what they say. In the end, money is more important than loyalty. That's business. I love Reed, don't get me wrong. But if the Patriots wanna throw $5M a year on a safety who can't tackle then..*waves goodbye*.

I wouldn't go off this rumor anyway to be honest. Remember when Ray had the Cowboys and Jets ready to "throw more money at him"? Free agency hit, and he came back with his tail between his legs.
[/quote]Ed tasted something this year that money can't buy!! Papa Raven isn't going anywhere,He wants to taste it again.

The article put a question mark after the end of the headline. All newspapers and sports stations do now is try to drum up news. Im guessing someone from the GLOBE was talking with a waterboy from the Patriots and he was saying how cool it would be if Ed Reed signed a 5 million dollar contract with them. This article followed that conversation.

[quote name='The Raven' timestamp='1361991635' post='1371405']
[/quote]Except Grubbs.... Good riddance.

[quote name='bauer77' timestamp='1361991768' post='1371407']

[/quote]

I think it's crazy to think the Ravens won't throw at least 5M Ed's way. Top safeties are getting around 10M. I think it's safe to say that Ozzie and Mr. B holds Ed Reed in the same light as Ray Lewis from the impact to the city and organization stand point. I think that's worth 1-2M extra.

I think from a on field stanpoint, Reed probably commands about 5M per, but his impact for the Ravens will probably put him around that 6-7M range. Ed won't like it, but there won't be a better offer anywhere else.

I don't believe this. This just looks like wishful thinking on the part of NE fans. They think everybody wants to play for them...

[quote name='redravenfan' timestamp='1361994517' post='1371461']
Ed is not going anywhere he wants to repeat . [/quote]

Just playing devil's advocate, but since it is so hard (nearly impossible) for a team to repeat, he might actually have a better chance next year with NE. After getting shot down 2 years in a row, I think they might be pretty hungry.

[quote name='Ravensfan23' timestamp='1361990953' post='1371398']
Lol please don't start the panic. If you guys remeber, last year reports were that Ed Reed turned down a contract offer from the Ravens for 8M per. Ed talked disrespect because that 8M per was less then the top young safeties in the NFL.

If Ed turned down 8M per, why leave for 5M?

I've said all along that no other team will value and be willing to pay Ed Reed like the Ravens. They'll offer Ed like 3yrs 19-20M for Ed to retire here.

This news actuually hurts Ed Reed because NE is probably the only other team that will pay Ed and if they are only willing to offer 5M Ed loses leverage.
[/quote]
this. could not have said it better. I think a 3 year deal would be fair... either that or a 4 year deal to ensure he'll retire a Raven. money wise, im up In the air as much as everyone else is, pats offering 5 million. we offered him 8 million before the season last year, im think a number between 12-15 POSSIBLY. 17 if we really have the money left.

That's tough. I think we all want Ed to retire a Raven, but that's also the downside of being SB champion. Suddenly every player has a lot of leverage.
Unfortunately for us and Ed he is the 5th most important free agent we need to sign. The hierarchy goes like this, imho:
1. Joe Flacco
2. Anquan Boldin (not a free agent, but keeping him might be a challenge)
3. Bryant McKinnie (yes, that guy)
4. Dannell Ellerbe
5. Ed Reed
There is a huge chasm in terms of importance between Flacco and the rest of the guys. He will basically be "the man" for the Ravens going forward. Then there is a second huge chasm between Boldin and McKinnie, just based on terms of reliability and over all production. The other three are placed in terms of importance and (this pains me to type) replaceability.
I still hope with all I got, that we manage to keep Ed. It will physically hurt me to see him in another uniform. Especially a Pats uniform. The only thing that would be worse, would be a Steelers jersey.

[quote name='redravenfan' timestamp='1361994517' post='1371461']
Ed is not going anywhere he wants to repeat . now kruger, ellerbe, and williams highest bidder.
[/quote]

Ed and Ellerbe returns imo. The other 2 are gone. Both guys deserve tto get as much money from the NFL as possible because they aren't stars who get 2-3 big pay days.

Ed is at the end of his career and I don't see him getting anywhere near the money he probably wants. Ellerbe will get decent money, but not highest paid or anything.

Ed will probably get 3yr 18.5M Ellerbe 5yr 30M.

Good for Ed.

He deserves a nice contract to end his career, we just aren't going to be the ones who give it to him I believe. He has definitely slowed down but is still one of the better safeties out there in the passing game.

Next man up.