Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gabefergy

Alex Smith traded to Kansas City

105 posts in this topic

[quote name='Free Agent' timestamp='1362115326' post='1373085']
I'm rooting for Alex. This is a perfect chance for him to redefine his career. He has a good running game behind him with Jamaal Charles, and some good WRs with Bowe, McCluster, and Baldwin. Plus he'll have Joeckel protecting his blindside.
[/quote]

Should be interesting to see how Papa Vick utilizes the game manager that is Alex Smith. They're polar opposite players.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1362006625' post='1371676']
The more I think about this, the worse I think this trade is for KC. Alex Smith is not a guy you want chucking the ball 35-40 times a game, which is what Andy Reid likes to do. Maybe Andy can get Alex more comfortable with having to carry the team, but so far in his career Alex hasn't shown he can do that.
[/quote]
You know what? I debated with you in the beginning. I wanted to give some hope to KC fans about this. But you know what? I have completely changed my mind. Completely. I didn't think this was the best trade in the beginning and felt like the Chiefs gave up too much as it is, but now this is definitely one of the dumbest--absolutely dumbest--trades I have ever seen. I'd rank this worse than the Palmer trade, and that included a 1st and 2nd round pick.

They traded for Alex when Alex Smith is only under contract for two years. Two years. Absolutely idiotic. On top of it, it's Alex Smith. I forgot that the contract Smith signed was a short-term deal. If there were three more years, it wouldn't have been as bad. But still, the amount of picks they surrendered, as well as picks next year...this is just beyond dumb.

Chiefs are extremely underrated..... I think they're a wildcard team next year if they resign/add a big FA WR.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362276918' post='1375468']

You know what? I debated with you in the beginning. I wanted to give some hope to KC fans about this. But you know what? I have completely changed my mind. Completely. I didn't think this was the best trade in the beginning and felt like the Chiefs gave up too much as it is, but now this is definitely one of the dumbest--absolutely dumbest--trades I have ever seen. I'd rank this worse than the Palmer trade, and that included a 1st and 2nd round pick.

They traded for Alex when Alex Smith is only under contract for two years. Two years. Absolutely idiotic. On top of it, it's Alex Smith. I forgot that the contract Smith signed was a short-term deal. If there were three more years, it wouldn't have been as bad. But still, the amount of picks they surrendered, as well as picks next year...this is just beyond dumb.
[/quote]

Let's not talk crazy here. It's a pretty bad deal for the Chiefs but nothing will ever top that Palmer trade.

[quote name='ravens__' timestamp='1362277328' post='1375474']
Let's not talk crazy here. It's a pretty bad deal for the Chiefs but nothing will ever top that Palmer trade.
[/quote]
Really?

I don't know, man. Let's compare the deals:

The Raiders got Carson Palmer's contract renegotiated for another 4-years. Big plus right there. Lost a 1st round pick (really bad) & a 2nd round pick. #17 overall (950pts) & #35 overall (550pts).

The Chiefs got Smith (supposedly) for #34 overall (560pts) & a 2nd (270pts) or 3rd (117pts) round pick.

While the point difference is huge, this is an absolutely bone-headed trade. I really want to see if this is actually true. There's no way they gave up this much for Alex Smith. I certainly hope this is wrong and it ends up being a 2013 3rd round pick and a conditional 2014 4th round pick that could become a 3rd round pick.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362277879' post='1375481']

Really?

The Raiders got Carson Palmer's contract renegotiated for another 4-years. Big plus right there. Lost a 1st round pick (really bad) & a 2nd round pick. #17 overall (950pts) & #35 overall (550pts).

The Chiefs got Smith (supposedly) for #34 overall (560pts) & a 2nd (270pts) or 3rd (117pts) round pick.

While the point difference is huge, this is an absolutely bone-headed trade. I really want to see if this is actually true. There's no way they gave up this much for Alex Smith. I certainly hope this is wrong and it ends up being a 2013 3rd round pick and a conditional 2014 4th round pick that could become a 3rd round pick.
[/quote]

I don't see how anything of what you said makes this trade look worse.

Palmer had been declining every year since his last major injury in 2008, he was made aware that he wouldn't be traded by Mike Brown despite his request and it was a foregone conclusion that he'd stay in Cincy until the end of his contract. I remember us geniuses calling Brown an idiot for keeping Palmer in Cincinnati against his will at the time. Little did we know...

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362276918' post='1375468']

[/quote]

My biggest concern with the trade is that everybody seems to think Alex has morphed into a viable starter - he's shown he can win games, but this year he averaged about 26 throws per game. Last year about 28. McNabb's pro-bowl stretch, 2001-2005, he averaged 36, 31, 36, 30, 31. Alex played on a defense that ranked in the top 5 the last 2 years - KC has a decent passing defense, but they can't really stop the run. I think Andy is going to try to make Alex the focal point of his offense, and I don't think it's going to go too well.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362277879' post='1375481']
Really?

[/quote]

I have to disagree here - whatever Alex did or didn't do, the fact is Carson has been physically done for quite some time, IMO, and the fact that he retired and sat out for a year tells me he's mentally done as well. Alex at least cares about playing - I can't say the same for Carson.

Honestly, this is my assessment of Carson's mindset:

Carson: I'm relaxing on the couch, chilling out and counting my millions.

Phone call: "It's the Raaidaahs" (Imagine Al Davis's voice here). "Carson, you are a greaaat playaahh. I'll pay you big bucks to come play for uss." Carson was probably like 'take a few hits, throw a few picks, retire an even more rich man, and I barely have to get off the couch Oakland's so close'. I mean, he made 13 million this season and is going to make 15 million each of the next 3 seasons barring a restructure.

49ers are still going to have to find a decent backup, especially with someone as mobile as Colin taking snaps. that aside, they are going to be a force to be reckoned with if they draft as well as they have in the past.

[quote name='ravens__' timestamp='1362279314' post='1375491']

I don't see how anything of what you said makes this trade look worse.

Palmer had been declining every year since his last major injury in 2008, he was made aware that he wouldn't be traded by Mike Brown despite his request and it was a foregone conclusion that he'd stay in Cincy until the end of his contract. I remember us geniuses calling Brown an idiot for keeping Palmer in Cincinnati against his will at the time. Little did we know...
[/quote]
I don't know, they are both pretty darn bad on the terrible meter. Like off the chart bad. But I suppose I just expect the Raiders to make a move like that and didn't expect it from the Chiefs.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1362279730' post='1375495']

I have to disagree here - whatever Alex did or didn't do, the fact is Carson has been physically done for quite some time, IMO, and the fact that he retired and sat out for a year tells me he's mentally done as well. Alex at least cares about playing - I can't say the same for Carson.

Honestly, this is my assessment of Carson's mindset:

Carson: I'm relaxing on the couch, chilling out and counting my millions.

Phone call: "It's the Raaidaahs" (Imagine Al Davis's voice here). "Carson, you are a greaaat playaahh. I'll pay you big bucks to come play for uss." Carson was probably like 'take a few hits, throw a few picks, retire an even more rich man, and I barely have to get off the couch Oakland's so close'. I mean, he made 13 million this season and is going to make 15 million each of the next 3 seasons barring a restructure.
[/quote]
Lol, I liked your little story there. That was great.

Again, I don't know. I'm really conflicted here. Perhaps I was a bit rash when I said it was worse, but these two trades are just mind-blowingly stupid.

Why do these franchises like the Niners & Patriots get deals like this? I'd love for the Ravens to trade Tyrod for a 2nd & 3rd round pick. Please...I hope Brandon22 becomes a GM on an NFL team not named the Ravens. I can only hope.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362280951' post='1375513']

I don't know, they are both pretty darn bad on the terrible meter. Like off the chart bad. But I suppose I just expect the Raiders to make a move like that and didn't expect it from the Chiefs.
[/quote]

I wouldn't call Smith terrible, it's just that he has very limited upside. If you build a foundation around him much like SF did, I think he can take his team to the playoffs. And I do believe KC is a far more talented team than their record showed last season.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362281173' post='1375520']
Lol, I liked your little story there. That was great.

Again, I don't know. I'm really conflicted here. Perhaps I was a bit rash when I said it was worse, but these two trades are just mind-blowingly stupid.

Why do these franchises like the Niners & Patriots get deals like this? I'd love for the Ravens to trade Tyrod for a 2nd & 3rd round pick. Please...I hope Brandon22 becomes a GM on an NFL team not named the Ravens. I can only hope.
[/quote]

Oh I totally agree on both being stupid, it's just that if I'm trying to pick which one is more stupid, I have to go with signing a retired player who wasn't very good before he retired. I mean, it isn't like Brett Favre who at least kept putting up big numbers - Carson's been a wreck since his second surgery. Alex is at least young and healthy.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1362280951' post='1375513']
I don't know, they are both pretty darn bad on the terrible meter. Like off the chart bad. But I suppose I just expect the Raiders to make a move like that and didn't expect it from the [b]Chiefs[/b].
[/quote]

It's Andy Reid - when it comes to quarterbacks he has a huge ego. He thought he could stop Brett Favre from throwing picks, and he thought he could make Donovan McNabb accurate. Couldn't do either, but at least they found a way to overcome their deficiencies. When he tried to make Vick a pocket passer, he failed. Now I think he's going to try to make Alex Smith's arm the focal point of a team's offense, and I expect him to fail at that, as well.

Yeah. The Raiders trade was BEYOND stupid. I'll never fully comprehend it. They suck beyond description.

[quote name='ravens__' timestamp='1362281284' post='1375524']
I wouldn't call Smith terrible, it's just that he has very limited upside. If you build a foundation around him much like SF did, I think he can take his team to the playoffs. And I do believe KC is a far more talented team than their record showed last season.
[/quote]
I didn't mean Smith is terrible. The trade was.