Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gabefergy

Alex Smith traded to Kansas City

105 posts in this topic

Apparently KC gave up the 34th pick and a conditional mid round pick for Smith...

This is possibly the worst trade I have heard in a while. SF is going to be a force for years to come.

Andy Reid is a WC guy, and this allows the Chiefs to spend their first round pick on a tackle or a defensive player. However, even though Andy is an established QB guru himself, let's see what Alex Smith does away from Jim Harbaugh. I'll be rooting for Alex because he seems to be as much of a good guy as possible in terms of discounting his team a few years back (if you call several million dollars a discount, that is).

No it isn't the worst one by a long shot. Still think the Palmer deal wins that hands down.

In fact, I don't think it's that bad. Smith performed decently in the 2011 season and 2012 prior to his injury. KC was a hair away from pulling an athletic looking guy from the stands to play QB. It's a 2nd round pick and a mid round in 2014. Not that bad really for a team that isn't that bad all around and basically lacking any stability at QB.

The question becomes, who will be Kaepernick's back-up? Because I think he'll be in need of one eventually.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1361986778' post='1371309']
Apparently KC gave up the 34th pick and a conditional mid round pick for Smith...

This is possibly the worst trade I have heard in a while. SF is going to be a force for years to come.
[/quote][quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1361986778' post='1371309']

[/quote]
Jesus lord

[quote name='omar586' timestamp='1361987125' post='1371316']
good for us, it will effect the draft, and a good player will fall to us.
[/quote]

How is it good for us? It gives one of the best teams in the NFL, a ton of ammunition. They can easily move up into the first round and take 2 players that we would probably be interested in ahead of us.

It also makes a good team better. That is not good for us.

[quote name='ravensdfan' timestamp='1361987540' post='1371322']
No it isn't the worst one by a long shot. Still think the Palmer deal wins that hands down.

In fact, I don't think it's that bad. Smith performed decently in the 2011 season and 2012 prior to his injury. KC was a hair away from pulling an athletic looking guy from the stands to play QB. It's a 2nd round pick and a mid round in 2014. Not that bad really for a team that isn't that bad all around and basically lacking any stability at QB.

The question becomes, who will be Kaepernick's back-up? Because I think he'll be in need of one eventually.
[/quote]

Palmer was a bad trade, you are right about that. He was a better QB than Smith though. Smith is a product of Jim Harbaugh's system. Maybe Andy Reid can make something out of him, but Alex Smith was arguably one of the biggest QB busts in recent memory before Jim saved his career.

As for a back-up, I am sure someone can be found easily enough in FA. Maybe they invest a draft pick in a QB too, they have enough of them.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1361986778' post='1371309']

[/quote]

I hate lopsided trades like that. Like when the Bengals got the loot for Palmer. Now the 49ers who are stacked with young talent will another high pick. And for what? A slight upgrade from Cassell? Sure the guy doesn't turn the ball over, but he isn't going to steal the show either.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1361987868' post='1371331']
Palmer was a bad trade, you are right about that. He was a better QB than Smith though. Smith is a product of Jim Harbaugh's system. Maybe Andy Reid can make something out of him, but Alex Smith was arguably one of the biggest QB busts in recent memory before Jim saved his career.
[/quote]

Exactly. What you saw from Smith w/ Harbaugh is the max you'll get. And you might not even get that because Jim has done a fantastic job of coaching up his guys (especially the QB) in his first years.

Just a waste. I'm happy for Smith. He'll get another chance with different scenery.

The 49ers now have 2 picks in the top 40 and 15 picks in total. I want Roger Goodell to veto this trade because it's collusion. Alex Smith is a useless, noodle-armed scrub.

I don't care how nice of a guy he is and how he didn't moan about being benched. He's a terrible Quarterback that Harbaugh made look serviceable. Super Bowls aren't won with players as talentless as Smith at the helm.

[quote name='Clutch Ravens' timestamp='1361988070' post='1371339']
The 49ers now have 2 picks in the top 40 and 15 picks in total. I want Roger Goodell to veto this trade because it's collusion. Alex Smith is a useless, noodle-armed scrub.

I don't care how nice of a guy he is and how he didn't moan about being benched. He's a terrible Quarterback that Harbaugh made look serviceable. [b]Super Bowls aren't won with players as talentless as Smith at the helm[/b].
[/quote]

Trent... Dilfer...?

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1361987749' post='1371330']
How is it good for us? It gives one of the best teams in the NFL, a ton of ammunition. They can easily move up into the first round and take 2 players that we would probably be interested in ahead of us.

[/quote]
I think he means because its makes a team in our conference worse (imo). Also any reason they didnt go for Nick Foles with the same deal?

[quote name='beasy2487' timestamp='1361988368' post='1371343']
Trent... Dilfer...?
[/quote]

Different era.

You need a very good Quarterback (at least) to win the Super Bowl in today's NFL.

They didn't give up a conditional mid round pick...they gave up the 34th pick this year and the 2014 2nd.

Awful trade. Smith to me is worth no more than a 4th. Two 2nds? Ridiculous.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1361987749' post='1371330']
How is it good for us? It gives one of the best teams in the NFL, [b]a ton of ammunition[/b]. They can easily move up into the first round and take 2 players that we would probably be interested in ahead of us.

[/quote]

Try 15 Draft Picks in the 2013 NFL Draft.

[quote name='ravensdfan' timestamp='1361987540' post='1371322']

[/quote]they have Scott Tolzien from wisconsin but a rookie too .

i didn't think reid would give up two seconds for him .thats steep. its good to be the 49ers draft day and they are already stacked with talent.

I think i would have tried for Matt flynn over alex smith. but the chiefs are now a better team . two second rounds pick qb's are expensive I don't even think Flynn is worth all that .Not to mention 49ers will be a better team now.

[quote name='ratedr' timestamp='1361988718' post='1371351']
They didn't give up a conditional mid round pick...they gave up the 34th pick this year and the 2014 2nd.

Awful trade. Smith to me is worth no more than a 4th. Two 2nds? Ridiculous.
[/quote]

Wow. 2 2nds? I hadnt seen that. That is absurd.

Hearing some chatter now that SF can take a legit run at trading for Revis....

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1361990849' post='1371396']

[b]Hearing some chatter now that SF can take a legit run at trading for Revis....[/b]
[/quote]

That is what I just saw on Rotoworld. Must be nice to trade away your backup QB and get a lot of high picks, then also go after one of the best DBs in the game.

But then again. It's nicer to be Super Bowl Champs.

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1361991510' post='1371403']

That is what I just saw on Rotoworld. Must be nice to trade away your backup QB and get a lot of high picks, then also go after one of the best DBs in the game.

But then again. It's nicer to be Super Bowl Champs.
[/quote]I hope they trade for Revis and get a head case for their D rather than being able to draft a bunch of solid players..

[quote name='PuRock' timestamp='1361991510' post='1371403']

[b]But then again. It's nicer to be Super Bowl Champs.[/b]
[/quote]
:banana1:

[quote name='Miami Hurricane' timestamp='1361991721' post='1371406']
I hope they trade for Revis and get a head case for their D rather than being able to draft a bunch of solid players..
[/quote]

I dont. Revis is the best CB in the league and is really the only weakness their defense had. If they get Revis and he is 80-90% of what he was they will easily have the best Defense in the league to go along with a very potent Offense. They are going to be a nightmare.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1361990849' post='1371396']

Hearing some chatter now that SF can take a legit run at trading for Revis....
[/quote]They can't afford Revis on their cap. I think they use their picks.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1361992243' post='1371416']
They can't afford Revis on their cap. I think they use their picks.
[/quote]
Actually they can. They just moved Alex Smith who was a 7.5M savings. Revis is less of a cap hit for them at 6M.

[quote name='gabefergy' timestamp='1361992430' post='1371418']
Actually they can. They just moved Alex Smith who was a 7.5M savings. Revis is less of a cap hit for them at 6M.
[/quote]
Totally forgot. would they want to spend all that money on him? Wouldn't they be better off just trying to sign brent grimes? because in that cause you can keep the picks and just sign a talented corner for less money than have to deal with revis.

I honestly hope they win it next year. I used to live in San Fran when I was a kid, and I'm a big Patrick Willis fan.

New England winning it would make me sick.

If they get Revis they would immediately become Superbowl favorites. The only thing missing on that defense is a number one, lock down cornerback.

The AFC West got a lot more interesting, too. The only real thing the Chiefs have been missing is a decent QB. They have talent everywhere. They just haven't had a QB. Now, they can compete.

[quote name='izvoodoo' timestamp='1361992895' post='1371423']
Totally forgot. would they want to spend all that money on him? Wouldn't they be better off just trying to sign brent grimes? because in that cause you can keep the picks and just sign a talented corner for less money than have to deal with revis.

I honestly hope they win it next year. I used to live in San Fran when I was a kid, and I'm a big Patrick Willis fan.

New England winning it would make me sick.
[/quote]

I think Revis at 6M is a bargain. I would rather have him than Grimes who is also coming off an injury. The difference is whether they can afford to keep Revis after this upcoming season because he is going to want a big contract.