104 replies to this topic

#1 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

Apparently KC gave up the 34th pick and a conditional mid round pick for Smith...

This is possibly the worst trade I have heard in a while. SF is going to be a force for years to come.

@gabefergy

#2 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,283 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

Andy Reid is a WC guy, and this allows the Chiefs to spend their first round pick on a tackle or a defensive player. However, even though Andy is an established QB guru himself, let's see what Alex Smith does away from Jim Harbaugh. I'll be rooting for Alex because he seems to be as much of a good guy as possible in terms of discounting his team a few years back (if you call several million dollars a discount, that is).

#3 omar586

omar586

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:45 PM

good for us, it will effect the draft, and a good player will fall to us.

#4 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,864 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

No it isn't the worst one by a long shot. Still think the Palmer deal wins that hands down.

In fact, I don't think it's that bad. Smith performed decently in the 2011 season and 2012 prior to his injury. KC was a hair away from pulling an athletic looking guy from the stands to play QB. It's a 2nd round pick and a mid round in 2014. Not that bad really for a team that isn't that bad all around and basically lacking any stability at QB.

The question becomes, who will be Kaepernick's back-up? Because I think he'll be in need of one eventually.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#5 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

Apparently KC gave up the 34th pick and a conditional mid round pick for Smith...

This is possibly the worst trade I have heard in a while. SF is going to be a force for years to come.

Jesus lord

#6 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:55 PM

good for us, it will effect the draft, and a good player will fall to us.

How is it good for us? It gives one of the best teams in the NFL, a ton of ammunition. They can easily move up into the first round and take 2 players that we would probably be interested in ahead of us.

It also makes a good team better. That is not good for us.

@gabefergy

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,788 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

No it isn't the worst one by a long shot. Still think the Palmer deal wins that hands down.

In fact, I don't think it's that bad. Smith performed decently in the 2011 season and 2012 prior to his injury. KC was a hair away from pulling an athletic looking guy from the stands to play QB. It's a 2nd round pick and a mid round in 2014. Not that bad really for a team that isn't that bad all around and basically lacking any stability at QB.

The question becomes, who will be Kaepernick's back-up? Because I think he'll be in need of one eventually.

Palmer was a bad trade, you are right about that. He was a better QB than Smith though. Smith is a product of Jim Harbaugh's system. Maybe Andy Reid can make something out of him, but Alex Smith was arguably one of the biggest QB busts in recent memory before Jim saved his career.

As for a back-up, I am sure someone can be found easily enough in FA. Maybe they invest a draft pick in a QB too, they have enough of them.

Edited by gabefergy, 27 February 2013 - 12:58 PM.

@gabefergy

#8 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,525 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:58 PM

I hate lopsided trades like that. Like when the Bengals got the loot for Palmer. Now the 49ers who are stacked with young talent will another high pick. And for what? A slight upgrade from Cassell? Sure the guy doesn't turn the ball over, but he isn't going to steal the show either.
Posted Image

#9 PuRock

PuRock

Skull Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,525 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Palmer was a bad trade, you are right about that. He was a better QB than Smith though. Smith is a product of Jim Harbaugh's system. Maybe Andy Reid can make something out of him, but Alex Smith was arguably one of the biggest QB busts in recent memory before Jim saved his career.

Exactly. What you saw from Smith w/ Harbaugh is the max you'll get. And you might not even get that because Jim has done a fantastic job of coaching up his guys (especially the QB) in his first years.

Just a waste. I'm happy for Smith. He'll get another chance with different scenery.
Posted Image

#10 Clutch Ravens

Clutch Ravens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

The 49ers now have 2 picks in the top 40 and 15 picks in total. I want Roger Goodell to veto this trade because it's collusion. Alex Smith is a useless, noodle-armed scrub.

I don't care how nice of a guy he is and how he didn't moan about being benched. He's a terrible Quarterback that Harbaugh made look serviceable. Super Bowls aren't won with players as talentless as Smith at the helm.
2013 BR.com Mock Draft: Arizona Cardinals
#7 Overall - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
#38 Overall - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
#94 Overall - Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
#113 Overall - E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
#144 Overall - Joseph Randle, RB, OSU
#178 Overall - Jordan Mills, OT/G, Louisiana Tech
#218 Overall - Greg Reid, CB, FSU
#224 Overall - Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

#11 beasy2487

beasy2487

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

The 49ers now have 2 picks in the top 40 and 15 picks in total. I want Roger Goodell to veto this trade because it's collusion. Alex Smith is a useless, noodle-armed scrub.

I don't care how nice of a guy he is and how he didn't moan about being benched. He's a terrible Quarterback that Harbaugh made look serviceable. Super Bowls aren't won with players as talentless as Smith at the helm.

Trent... Dilfer...?

#12 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,720 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

How is it good for us? It gives one of the best teams in the NFL, a ton of ammunition. They can easily move up into the first round and take 2 players that we would probably be interested in ahead of us.

I think he means because its makes a team in our conference worse (imo). Also any reason they didnt go for Nick Foles with the same deal?

#13 Clutch Ravens

Clutch Ravens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Trent... Dilfer...?

Different era.

You need a very good Quarterback (at least) to win the Super Bowl in today's NFL.
2013 BR.com Mock Draft: Arizona Cardinals
#7 Overall - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
#38 Overall - Johnthan Banks, CB, Mississippi State
#94 Overall - Corey Lemonier, OLB, Auburn
#113 Overall - E.J. Manuel, QB, FSU
#144 Overall - Joseph Randle, RB, OSU
#178 Overall - Jordan Mills, OT/G, Louisiana Tech
#218 Overall - Greg Reid, CB, FSU
#224 Overall - Knile Davis, RB, Arkansas

#14 ratedr

ratedr

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,605 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

They didn't give up a conditional mid round pick...they gave up the 34th pick this year and the 2014 2nd.

Awful trade. Smith to me is worth no more than a 4th. Two 2nds? Ridiculous.

#15 A Fish Called Yanda

A Fish Called Yanda

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

At least SF isn't in our division or conference.

I feel bad for the rest of the NFC West.

#16 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,788 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

Try 15 Draft Picks in the 2013 NFL Draft.

#17 arnie_uk

arnie_uk

Like a Boss!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,962 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

With harbaughs drafting history at the back of the draft it could turn into a waste.

#18 Guest_llwillow1231_*

Guest_llwillow1231_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

they have Scott Tolzien from wisconsin but a rookie too .

#19 Guest_llwillow1231_*

Guest_llwillow1231_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

i didn't think reid would give up two seconds for him .thats steep. its good to be the 49ers draft day and they are already stacked with talent.

Edited by llwillow1231, 27 February 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#20 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 01:32 PM

I think i would have tried for Matt flynn over alex smith. but the chiefs are now a better team . two second rounds pick qb's are expensive I don't even think Flynn is worth all that .Not to mention 49ers will be a better team now.

Edited by runamuk, 27 February 2013 - 01:33 PM.

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users