Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 2/27: Joe Flacco Mindful Of Ravens Cap Crunch

86 posts in this topic

[quote name='Raven8' timestamp='1361994582' post='1371466']
I can see Flacco getting an escalator in his contract.
[/quote]

With his money he'll have an escalator in his home.

Joe deserves a big money deal and will get it. After looking at the complete list of free agents I think the Ravens have more working room in the cap than is being reported. I wouldn't be suprised if we keep Ellerbe, Kruger, Reed and still draft a couple of good LB's. With Big Ray and Birk retiring it opens things up,plus there are several FA we will npt sign and even a couple of guys like Cody and McClain we may cut loose. Keep in mind they have been well aware of needing a big deal to keep Flacco for several years and are prepared, I have lots of faith in Ozzie.

[quote name='metalraven' timestamp='1361992924' post='1371424']
My breakdown of today's LFW:

1) I hope Joe remains reasonable and works out a fair deal for both sides.

2) Nice to see a Raven getting pub (Jacoby on Dancing with the Stars), but other than that, who gives two craps?

3) Watching the Steelers falling apart is a perfect follow up to the Ravens winning the Super Bowl!!!

HAHAHAHAHA...freakin sweet
[/quote]I couldn't agree more!
HEE HEE HEE!!!

I'm tellin ya, the Bengels are the team to beat in the AFC North. The Squeelers are Imploding. Ben is getting fat, old, slow and beat up. There in worse shape Cap wise and will probably be luckey to go 8 & 8 again. I love to Hate the Squeelers, especially up here in York PA where it's riddled with those looser Squeeler fans. I never leave the house without wearing something RAVENS to rub it in.

I can understand why Linda is talking. Players who tell media and others that all negotiations to through their agent are thrusting their agent into that spotlight. No big deal. Linda knows what flacco wants and that's the angle he pursues.

As for complaining about flacco deal hurting the team. Why is it brought up for the qb when Suggs and ngata cap hit are pretty dang high too. Flacco cap hit, not cntract dollars, is what's important. That's what is being worked out. Guaranteed money, bonus, and years. So he gets a cool payday and the team can spread the bonus around in a manner that works. I'm willing to bet both sides are close on the average per year as is...

Oh and it was flacco, not Linda, that turned down last years offer so let's not throw the agent under the bus its a backhanded attack on the player who asks the agent to negotiate for him

Linta is just doing his job. That's what you pay an agent for. The Ravens will reach a deal with Joe and I gaurantee ozzie and Mr.B will work it into the cap space.
I also agree with earlier comments that the Salary Cap is not as tight as being reported and speculated. Go Ravens.

The Ravens tried restructuring once and it backfired. The Steelers tried it and now it looks like it backfired. As much as I hate to say this, the Patriots had the model for success. They drafted very well, were able to replace their loses with young draft picks, and kept enough of a nucleus together to get several Superbowl wins. Even a team like the Steelers, with the cap hades they're in now, still kept a nucleus of players together long enough to get to 3 Superbowls. We have several cornerstone pieces, QB, RB, CB, WR, TE, offensive and defensive linemen - yes we will have to replenish a lot of talent, but that is what the draft is for. Hopefully Joe and the front office can work out a fair but cap friendly deal, and everyone else will settle for the same, so we can be sure to keep the contender we've built going for the next decade.

Some other thoughts as I read all this cap talk..

1. Teams need to get their cap situations set up for the new CBA that went into place. Less pay for rookies coming in and more money to spent on the vetrans. Instead of gambling on the rookies now, you hope they work out as expected AND you have the money to keep them on the roster.

2.Too many teams were operating with the bulk of their cap funds being spread between a few players.

All this shuffling and scrambling is partly the result of this. There are teams that have a bunch of cash but if you look back they really don't spend a lot of money to begin with. The ownership didn't invest in the team in that manner which is why there is a minimum in place. I wonder in the long run if we keep getting the young talent to keep moving around how long the average NFL career will last.

It seems like the Ravens and Steelers have both come to the end of an era. After several years of co-dominance of the AFCN, old stars like Ray and Hines are leaving, the Bengals and even Browns are on the rise, and the age of winning through crushing defense is ending. The difference is that the Ravens are throwing themselves into the future, preparing for the changes ahead and are looking forward to what this new era will bring. The Steelers, on the other hand, are clinging to the past, trying to retain aging stars, and tossing away their future trying to maintain some semblance of short-term competitiveness.

Sign the deal, get it over with so we can move on to retaining some other players. I dont like this thing dragging out til the last hour. If he doesnt sign by March 4 I think we will have some extra draft picks going forward.

Or as the frog says, "Time's fun when you're having flies!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOeL1D8vMiI

@ arrow, thank you, you started my morning off in a very funny and satisfying way! This clip was hilarious!

Joe Flacco contract talks are stressing me out I hope everything goes well so we can start resinging other players.

we simply need to offer Flacco like 10 million a year (still more than hes probably worth, and surely more than any other team will pony up for his talents) and keep the likes of Ellerbe, Jacobi & Bolden who were all paramount in our run. heck with Jacobi (rightful MVP of SB)or Bolden, we don't even see the conference championship. I like Flacco, but he isn't Brady or Rodgers or Brees, heck is not even Manning for god sake. we cannot afford to destroy this team just because he wants top money. It still comes down to supply and demand, and no other team would pay him top dollar.

I usually never get too worked up over what the Ravens will do in the off season but man, this waiting to see what happens with the Flacco deal is driving me nuts, especially when I am reading more and more stories of our other free agents not really having any contract talks and are sitting around waiting to see how things pan out with Flacco. I am sure this is driving the free agents who want to stay in Baltimore nuts and making them wait will only add anxiety to this whole thing. Am sure many Ravens fans are feeling the stress and anxiety too from this Flacco contract situation dragging on. I can only hope the contract situation will help the team in the long run instead of hurting the Ravens from getting players resign. Please get this over with so my food will taste good again. In Ozzie We Trust ! Go Ravens !

So sign a TEAM 1st deal before March 4th. Give the Raven's the CAP space they need. Otherwise, I say go for the 2 1st round draft picks. That's a lot of CAP space and draft moves for the best organization in the NFL to work with. Give Taylor a shot at the MVP. JOE is just average without the weapons and time to pass that the O line gave him. Plus, we don't know how good he will be without BIRK. The guy making the line calls.

It's nice that Joe is "mindful" of the Ravens cap situation. Now, if he'd remind Linta of that and remind him that he's Linta's employer and instruct his employee to stop stonewalling the team and take, what probably is, a more than fair deal they're probably offering, we can get on with putting together next years team instead of everything and everybody else being on hold waiting for Linta to give a little and get the deal done.

Mr Football : get real, Tyrod Taylor is never going to be a starter in the NFL (MVP)HaHa!! He is a gimmick QB at best... I hope Joe never gets hurt while he is here !!!