Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Eisenberg: Tom Brady Deal Has No Bearing On Joe Flacco

54 posts in this topic

Negotiations mean both sides will walk away with a deal they can take.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Eisenberg-Tom-Brady-Deal-Has-No-Bearing-On-Joe-Flacco/6418aed1-3eb7-41cf-9a67-926efcf0a21b]View the full article[/url]

Are you kidding me??...Brady has rings(plural) and tons of money made through out his career. He can afford to take a cut. But their making it look like he's doing such a big deal..he's not. Give Joe his dollars and to heck with Brady and this lame attempt to appear like it's a sacrifice.

Flacco was offered a 16 mill/year contract last year and opted to play out his rookie contract only making 6 mill. That's a 10 million discount he gave us last year and he won us a SB while doing it with a team, that was fairly average.
I always saw the Ravens as an organization, that mostly treated it's players fair. I can't even count how many times Joe was unfairly the target for criticism and ridicule, even by the Ravens fanbase. He earned the big payday. Get it done.

[font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif][i]I'd gladly pay Brady's salary out of my own pocket for him to quit... then we can get back to REAL football.[/i][/font]

We need to get the deal done. I am so tired of reading all of the negativity from Mike Florio at Profootballtalk. He makes our front office look like they don't have a clue. Is this guy a Steeler fan or something?

And now Roethlisberger is negotiating a cap-saving restructure too. At this rate the Ravens can just dangle the exclusive tag as leverage. What was once going to be a weakness is fast becoming a weapon.

[i][b][color=#555555][font=Arial, sans-serif][size=3][background=rgb(225, 227, 228)]Flacco is a younger guy than Brady, just entering his prime earning years. Brady, 35, has already signed several huge contracts, including a $60 million deal in 2005 and a $72 million deal in 2010. Between that, his many endorsements and what his supermodel wife commands, he probably already has enough in the bank to match the gross national product of some countries.[/background][/size][/font][/color][/b][/i]

Thankyou for ^THAT!
If that doesnt put things in perspective for you and you still thing Brady is a saint for "taking one for the team" that's already paid him enough to [size=4]buy a personal Island over 13 years while Flacco so far just has enough for a really nice house and a couple of decent college educations....i cant even hold conversation with you.[/size]

Everyone .... you do realize that Brady is guaranteed virtually his entire contract, right? So, it is "team friendly" from a cap standpoint, but "team risky" in that they are absolutely wedded to him until 2017.

So, if Ravens fans think Flacco should change his side of the deal to take less overall money, then you need to expect the team to change its side of the deal and load it full with guaranteed money.

So, give Flacco 6 years 14M per with 70M guaranteed? The team would never do that. Neither would Flacco. So ... as Mr. Eisenberg said, this deal has no bearing on the Flacco contract situation.

[quote name='reed20fence' timestamp='1361912815' post='1370172']
And now Roethlisberger is negotiating a cap-saving restructure too. At this rate the Ravens can just dangle the exclusive tag as leverage. What was once going to be a weakness is fast becoming a weapon.
[/quote]

Stafford, Peyton, Eli, and Brees are Ben's company in the top 5 cap numbers.
Brees and Peyton have brand new contracts.
Dont think Lions and Giants are in a rush to extend Stafford or Eli nor are they strapped for cash, and theyve only got two more years on their contracts, makes no sense to restructure.
Brady chopped bout 800K off the tag, Ben probably wont make much of a splash because he just restructured last year, he cant give too much more back, and i dont see him dropping out of the top 5, he's number 4 at the moment.
At most, tag value might drop to 18.2 Mil +- .3, Joe still about to get paid, there wont be anymore of this 16 million wishful thinking a lot of you keep throwing out there, anyway you look at it.

they will just move ben's money around too. it may impact the exclusive tag like brady's did but i would be ok with that . just make the deal already . ben is old fat and injured allot brady is old . yes both can still play ball flacco is better before all is said and done caldwell and flacco are going to start raking up rings and pro bowls book it

it did have a bearing though... it lowered the exclusive tag by 800 K... if ben's gets done by 4th of march, than joe's exclusive tag would be about $18mil... i would rather sign a contract... and let everybody concentrate on draft and other free agency matters

.flacco is just average. If he takes the big money and goes back to being a statue in the pocket. Man that will be bad right.

I would like to see him take a bit lower contract but have more guaranteed money. Win-Win... And Brady has no impact on any QB contract. His wife makes 45 million a year. They live quite comfortably.

[quote name='rayvens5252' timestamp='1361914150' post='1370211']
.flacco is just average. If he takes the big money and goes back to being a statue in the pocket. Man that will be bad right.
[/quote]

Flacco is not just average. If he was he would not have been the Super Bowl MVP or tied the all time great's record of 11 TD's and 0 INT's. He will flourish more than ever with Cam gone as we have seen by the end of the season.

[quote name='PolishRifle' timestamp='1361912204' post='1370164']
Flacco was offered a 16 mill/year contract last year and opted to play out his rookie contract only making 6 mill. That's a 10 million discount he gave us last year and he won us a SB while doing it with a team, that was fairly average.
I always saw the Ravens as an organization, that mostly treated it's players fair. I can't even count how many times Joe was unfairly the target for criticism and ridicule, even by the Ravens fanbase. He earned the big payday. Get it done.
[/quote]

Joe turned that contract down, but he didn't give us a 10 million dollar discount. Joe was the smart one, he knew that if he flourished this year, and took us to the superbowl, which he obviously did, then he would have the leverage to make 20 mill a year. If we didn't win the superbowl, and joe didn't do very well, he still would have got 16 million a year ATLEAST. Joe Flacco wasn't going anywhere, and he knew he was going to get paid, he just took a gamble to see if he could get more. He won that gamble.

$18 million with more guaranteed $$ sounds fair to me. the lesser he takes the better for the team

For those interested:

RT @AlbertBreer: If Roethlisberger comes him off the list, Rivers ($17.11M) goes in top 5
equation for the exclusive QB tag, dropping it $500K to $19.136M.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/306530264245473281

Flacco and Brady are in NO WAY comparable. 1) Brady is 35, Flacco is 27 - 5 years from now Brady will be done, while Flacco will be entering a stage of his career where most of the HOF level quarterbacks did their damage. 2) Brady has made a ton of money per year in the last few years, I believe at 23 million last year, whereas Flacco is still on his rookie contract. 3) Not that this should be too relevant, but Brady's wife makes more than just about any 2 players in the league put together - I'm sure he could play for free and still live rather nicely on her dime. 4) EVERY single cornerstone player in this franchise's history signed a big-time deal when it was their turn - none of them took a hometown discount. Why should the quarterback who is the biggest reason we're Superbowl champions this year have to do anything different.

Flacco played the entire season without a new contract. What if he would have gotten injured? Nobody is giving him kudos for that. Also, I caution that there needs to be a legit left tackle signed/drafted to protect this investment the Ravens are about to make.

"But to characterize the talks in any way at this point is to jump to conclusions."

I don't think people are characterizing the talks, they are just expressing hope that the Ravens may be able to reach a deal with Flacco that benefits the team as much as Brady's contract benefits the Patriots.

If Flacco wants to win more Championships. He'd help us out CAP wise because we are really hurting in that area.

It's time for Joe to cash in but hopefully they can make it cap-friendly as possible. I believe some of the better performance's from Joe during the play-offs were because of the B-mac move and Caldwell being elevated. I think the B-mac move shows just how important the left o-tackle is.

Linta says Joe wants a cap-friendly deal that won't cause other players to be cut: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2013/02/26/joe-flacco-contract-tom-brady-patriots/1948879/

Joe can serve his family,his team and city if the Raven brass structure a deal that guarrentees his future money while helping the salary cap now. Joe knows his valve,his worth,he always knew he was "elite". His legacy as a Raven has been solidified with the Super Bowl win now he needs the Ravens to put him at the top of the QB heap GUARRENTEED and Joe will sign a deal that keeps him in the Purple&Black forever while keeping a competitive team around him. GIVE THE MAN HIS MONEY!!

Brady??? He's done! He lost to Flacco last year too..................except for a Buffalo Bill who dropped Joe's first AFC title. Buffalo keeps the pitty PATS on top.

It's Flacco's turn to get paid. The deal needs to be sweet for both the Ravens and Him. On a lighter note a good offensive line can be considered a form of payment as well. Lets face it the fewer times Flacco gets hit the more big deal contracts he can sign. Bottom line it's Flacco's turn to get paid.

Tom had his time of making the big money and I think it's justified he helps the Pats after they helped him so much but Joe earned a contract and I'm sure down the line when he's in the latter stages of his career Joe would take one for the team as well

Quite honestly, no-one other than parties involved have any insight*. This article starts definite then gets vague. We'll all be wiser in a few weeks.

* and that includes who is kept / let go / traded / drafted

Usa Today reports Flacco wants a cap friendly deal so no Ravens will get cut so we can keep are core together.

i think the one who is making things difficult is Joe's agent. I believe when it comes right down to it Joe will be a Raven his whole career and i'm sure he is taking in consideration the cap issues and will try to work it out to where we can keep the teams core together also.( as said in the Article ) But i think the true problem is the cap its self... The league needs to adjust them... If teams have to pay these top salaries that keep shooting up is out of control. realistically it amazes me how anyone could think that ,Matt Stafford of the Detroit lions is worth anywhere close to $20Mil has lost there minds.
This is certain thow....Baltimore loves Joe Flacco and thinks he is worth big money, but we hate to see our key players released to cover his salary. Also what is he going to do without any of the players we have to cut that were on the line protecting him so he could make the plays that made him so explosive. not to mention the losing the key receivers like boldin, his goto guy ,who always came down with the ball. I believe Joe knows he didn't do it all himself and it takes a team to do what we did last year...

I think we'll get it done by the dead line if not sooner. With that being said we can get on with the rest of the players. GO RAVENS

Forget about how much Giselle is worth- comparing brady and Joe is like comparing apples and oranges. Joe has made $30m and is in his prime, ready to sign the biggest deal of his career. Brady has already made over $100m, and is 35. He's deferring money, that's all- the big payoff in years 4&5 are guaranteed (a total of $57m, unheard of for a player in his late 30's). How hard is this to understand?

As John E. has said " everyone should calm down". Ravens are not going to cripple the team with Joe's contract. Joe is NOT going to take less for the team. Did Suggs, Ngata, Rice, etc? The good thing here is, I think, that Ravens want Joe, and Joe wants the Ravens. sounds like a deal to me.

Joe Flacco is in control of ship!5 playoffs and 1 super bowl,pay the man.I wonder if he can produce with out quality players?Thats the real question.

QB is the most expensive position when you have a good one. We've never had one that has been this special to be able to command such a premium, but go ahead and pay the man cause he's earned it...

Flacco will have later in his contract to be the magnanimous one. If we can get him under contract now, his current year hit will be not much greater than Brady's. Then, after he gets to the back end, we'll run into the bigger cap issues and then we can worry about whether or not Joe needs to be a "team player" and restructure or take a "team friendly" extension. Right now, he has the right to get the deal he can get.

lol Brady got revenge this monday for signing a contract with a small amount of money?
seriously when Brady was 28 he had signing a giant contract with Patriots with a giant amount of money, he is now 35 and he can't win Super Bowls anymore plus he has now been outplayed from the most criticized Quarterback in the league (Joe Flacco) and Joe has now a better Playoff record that Brady can only dream of now, if Flacco gets 20$ per year then its just like Brady 7 years ago, but seriously call it an revenge from Brady to signing that contract is a joke.

Flacco might learn something here from Brady... I think Brady has learned a lot about how the financial part of the game works and how to have a long career on the same team and make your way to the Hall of Fame. Flacco shouldn't be too greedy. He should take less pay for more guarantees and help his team keep more of their players.

He's done everything that the organization and fans have asked him to do, now it's his time to get paid. Like the article says, Brady didn't give up his big pay day, either of them, so why should we expect Joe to.