Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Who's Out There? Wide Receivers

48 posts in this topic

The Ravens don’t have much money to spend at wideout. But could they pick up a vet?

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Whos-Out-There-Wide-Receivers/7aa515cd-80a2-4ba1-9fe3-03bad4412ae1]View the full article[/url]

I really like the idea of Hartline or Ogletree being a Raven. Usually the over looked receivers are the most solid in the passing game.

I say we just keep what we have (given we don't lose any to cap issues). Flacco is very comfortable with our current roster and Jones is a BEAST on special teams.

none id rather us draft someone every vet we brought in (other than boldin and jones)sucked take someone in the 3rd or the 4th ilb in the 1st safety in the 2nd

If we don't resign Boldin and Jones its gonna be a HUGE mistake... We don't make a playoff run let alone win the Super Bowl without either of them. They both say they wanna retire a Raven. If that's true and they still wanna play they are gonna have to take an extension, and give us some cap room. As far as this article goes... None of these guys are worth signing...

[quote name='RobFuseRaven' timestamp='1361902383' post='1369958']
How was Danario Alexander labeled a bust when he went undrafted? o.o
[/quote] i know right? i thought that immediately after i heard the sentence...i remember alexander being a late round prospect and never getting drafted until signed by rams...

There isn't a name on this list I'd take over Boldin!!! Keep the tools in place that are familiar with the offense, quarterback, and coordinator. Ask them to restructure if they want to stay.

Watched Cobi Hamilton, Arkansas, 6'2" 212 lbs go for OVER 300 YARDS RECV and 3 tds in 1 game vs Rutgers this year and was floored with his ability. He will probably be there at the end of round one. Remember, this year a lot of teams are looking to move down so if the Ravens REALLY want a guy, teams may be willing to swap spots.

If I had to make a list of what we don't need because we have the best, the top of the list would have the WR position right up there with QB and Kickers.

How many big time plays did Boldin, Torrey, and "long distance" Jones make? Yeah, we got the best. Look at the guys behind them too, pretty good you ask me. Maybe a 4-6 round draft pick (unless real good WR is on the board before that). Other than that, or signing a bargin deal guy for a gunner, I would save that cash for other spots.

MY opinion only.

GO RAVENS!

No one can replace Boldin or Jones! I hope Ozzie find a way to make them stay, And btw the only one of this WR that i really liked was Danny amendola Dude's a beast.

The team doesn't need a temporary fix, despite how cool all of the above options seem. They have Boldin (for now) and have developed Torrey Smith in a breakout star, what needs to happen is to develop the other WRs they have i.e. Tommy Streeter and Deonte Thompson.

Alexander from SD had a great game against us this past season in that 4th and 29 game. He's massive! 6'5" about 220! We could go 5 wide with Smith, Boldin, Jones, (Alexander), Williams/Doss/Streeter.

Could be interesting to go no huddle with those guys on the field.

I see no reason for Tommy Streeter not to be Boldin's replacement, should he be released or decide to retire. 6'5" and 220 lbs is nothing to scoff at.

If they sign anybody I like Hartline he catches passes anywhere he has enough speed to go over the top but he's pretty good over the middle as well

Why even talk about receivers? We've already got a good stable of WRs plus there's Streeter and Thompson trying to find room on this team. I know it's the glamor position, but, we're full up. Let's just hope we can keep the ones we've got

But I would like it better if the Ravens develop there own guys Streeter has the makes of a #1 receiver Doss is a solid all around receiver and LaQuan showed he's a playmaker give those guys more shots

One other thing, what happened to Laquan Williams, I haven't heard his name all year long and he had some pretty decent catches the year they signed him. And plus there's also this new guy named Tori Gurley, he should get a shot too.

Q, Smith, Doss, J. Jones, Thompson, Streeter, Gurley and David Reed. By my count that's 8 total WRs the team has at the moment

Edit: 9, I forgot to include Williams.

Oh yeah I forgot about Thompson as well right now the Ravens have a plethora of young receivers and Harbs should utilize them I think that will happen now though since Caldwell is the OC all I got to say if they keep those guys it's gonna be sweet to watch

We dont need another WR in FA, we have more than enough in house. Streeter and Thompson are mismatch issues all their own, Doss and Reed has shown to be pretty decent possession guys and now we have this tori gurley guy who is about the same size as Steeter, talk about a serious threat in the redzone. were stocked on that side and in all honestly, outside of possibly adding Tyrann Mathieu as a slot DB or Tavon Austin as a slot WR, I would say just grow what you have and save some cap. We need Tackles because seeing Oher back on the blind side is not what fans want to see next year and Big Mac is getting no younger. MLB is the next need after that but only for depth. Ellerbe and McClain are both good players but there will need to be guys to replace our older OLBs and MLBs on the team sooner or later. And third would be NT, we need a monster in the middle since Cody aint cutting it.

Boldin is Flaccos go to guy we need him, ad Jacoby is our great returner and dual deep threat man with Torrey. I love our receiving core and I'm praying our guys make it work!

WR may be a huge concern come late March. Anquan Boldin may very well be cut in order to retain Joe Flacco...That leaves Torrey Smith, and Jacoby Jones to start out wide, Tandon Doss, Deonte Thompson...and the list of unproven raw receivers goes on.

If for some reason we can not resign Boldin and he retires a Raven. I like the Ravens drafting Keenan Allen early on in the draft with Chris Harper in the later rounds. Allen looks very polished on an athletic stand point and could contribute from week 1. he has a few flaws but overall could be a solid pickup for the Ravens.

Chris Harper out of Kansas State is Anquan Boldin 2.0. He was a short noodle armed QB prospect coming out of college just like Boldin...and transitioned to WR. Harper stands 6'0" 230lbs just like Boldin, and plays identical...using his strength to make plays. He also impressed at the combine-posting a 4.5 40 yard dash time and over 20 bench press repetitions. He could be had for a 4th rounder.

Ozzie isnt known for his big time FA acquisitions so I feel like in a deep draft class of WRs we could find 2...maybe even 3 solid pickups.