Photo

[News] Late For Work 2/26: Will Joe Flacco Follow Tom Brady?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 riseNConquer81

riseNConquer81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

We are talking about an open air venue and the smoke goes straight up. Where they went wrong was making it non-smoking out in the open air and forcing the smoke inside where people had to walk through it.

yep, smoke goes "straight up"...and water stays in the same shape as the bottle it came in even after you pour it out. you know, since we're rewriting basic the basic physical properties of matter to suit our purposes...
Statute of limitations on all convos is one day. and its never personal, always football.

#82 riseNConquer81

riseNConquer81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

It was your point about the level of guaranteed money that was significant (I think I'm seeing 57M). That was your point and it was right on - for some reason, people seem to be glossing over that little detail.

King is "gushing" about what a swell guy this Brady is. PLEASE. Oh, yes - it is all about the team ... and of course guaranteeing that - unlike most NFL players - I will actually bank all the money that the team has written down on paper. What a martyr.

yeah i know what you were saying. i was just expanding on your point about being handcuffed to Brady. Lot of people will think thats not such a horrible thing. In a lot of ways its not: you could do well worse, and your team will keeo making money and be contenders for a while and stay in the playoffs. Just wont be Superbowl contenders. And if Brady ever becomes unserviceable for any reason, they're stuck hoping Mallet can be a starter immediately.

Edited by riseNConquer81, 26 February 2013 - 05:07 PM.

Statute of limitations on all convos is one day. and its never personal, always football.

#83 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

And what did Te'o do after this? He made excuses, "It's been a long day...I'm tired!" Dude this is the opportunity of YOUR LIFE...suck it up. You had 300 lb LINEMEN running faster than 4.8 (in fact, 16 of them equaled or bettered 4.8). I teach and if I was told I'd get paid thousands of $$$ to write an essay, I'd write the hell out of that paper. To me, he's mentally fragile in so many ways. If he turns out to be great, good for him, but I don't like him for the Ravens. It's not my call but something is still amiss with this guy.

i agree . all the other guys had the same rigirous schedule. He may be good but not a raven .

:baltimore-ravens: GO RAVENS :baltimore-ravens: 

#84 Moderator 2

Moderator 2

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,549 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Some of the drunks are fun to watch as long as they are not puking lol

I hope Flacco get the deal done this weekend
68f2a8.jpg

#85 axisofeeble

axisofeeble

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:15 PM

The Ravens can't pay Joe,keep ED,Paul and Danelle..................unless Joe Flacco can accept a deal that "GIVES" salary cap room the next two years and has real guarenteed money over 5-6 years that make him one of the highest paid QBs in the NFL. Joe never seemed greedy or that he needed gaudy numbers to prove his worth. Give him a fair equitable deal that shows how much the Raven brass "WANTS" Joe and a steady playoff team & Super Bowl contender. Joe deserves "ALL" the money,will he be willing to spread out a guareentee for the team's future that pays him less than much worse QBs will be paid the next two years? Joe deserves TOP money,HE EARNED IT! Ozzie show him the love and PAY HIM NOW!! Joe Flacco is the RAVENS!!

#86 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,659 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

... and how exactly do you think Harbaugh's reaction will affect other franchises' decisions? "Well, I'd love to pick this Te'o guy, but remember, Harbaugh wasn't happy with his 40, so let's just drop him"?

bio

It was my poor attempt at a joke. Obviously each team has their own opinion on Te'o, and has him graded accordingly.

But as I said in another post, I don't put much stock in a 40 time for a middle linebacker. I'm much more interested in his game speed than his speed when he's running 40 yards in a straight line without pads on.

"It's like somebody created him on Madden." - Jacoby Jones on Joe Flacco

"Hodor." - Hodor

#87 adam713

adam713

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

If Te'o played up to his hype vs. Alabama, I would have no problem with this kid. Yet, he got absolutely destroyed.

This combine was his time to shine. He started off well with the press conference, but then tanked a few (key) drills. I'll pass.

#88 Postapocalypse Raven

Postapocalypse Raven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:14 PM

Sure thing... I have no doubt that Flacco will get us to AT LEAST two more Superbowls:)

#89 Macadamia

Macadamia

Veteran

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

I wouldn't touch Catfish with a ten foot pole - guy is damaged goods and the Danny Wuerfel of college football defenses.

#90 Jameshammett

Jameshammett

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

%u201CThe Ravens lack an elite pass-rushing threat on their roster without him.%u201D I just can't believe they said that. What about Terrell Suggs? As far as I know, Kruger didn't produce until Suggs was back. If there is an elite pass rushing treat on this time, it's T-Sizzle, playing at 100% of course. It seems that they forgot that Suggs won Defensive Player of the Year not that long ago. He would have had another terrific season last year if he hadn't teared his Achilles.

#91 arrow

arrow

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:26 PM

Geez. The hype from the Combine about the "measurables" seems much worse this year. Heck, I can run the 40 dash in less than five. First thing in the morning. Barefoot and blind(folded). Without a tailwind. Carrying hot coffee and a munchie. [I'm at least twice as fast as Popeye] [no, sami, no rocket - just rocket fuel] Anyone who can't do it in less than five minutes needs to 1) drastically change their training regimen and 2) really rethink their desire to be a pro athlete.
Seriously. I think the deepness of this year's draft and the pretty much league-wide tightness of Cap room (even though rookies are contracted separately, first-year Cap-wise) is making everyone nitpick. Flip side is that because of the size of rookie contracts nowadays, making a glaring mistake like KB or a serious misstep like Sergio really hurts longterm. Interviews, workouts, the measurables, the physicals all count but I think game tapes will always be the biggest factor. Having DIGITAL game tapes is a huge improvement in scouting.
Curiosity: What were Torrey's measurables? Haloti? Ray (way back when)? I'm too tired from my dash to try to look them up....

#92 Ravenous-D

Ravenous-D

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:50 PM

And yet, Arrow, NFL-ready players from Alabama DESTROYED him in game situations. The why (stress) simply doesn't matter. The Ravens will look to add lineman or a LB that can cover. I bet he is a value pick at the end of Rd. 3 for the Ravens at best.

#93 Ravenous-D

Ravenous-D

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:52 PM

Torrey and Haloti had great speed in measurables and even better speed on tape.

#94 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

wait...so youre saying Kruger owes his production to Suggs returning, and then in the same breath are completely unwilling to acknowledge the effect the general lack of offense on the team has had on Joe's production.
We didnt get Joe a receiving corps (who still needed a lil time to develop) until 2 years ago, and Jacoby and Caldwell only got here before we started this season. Our offense literally changed whole sale over the past year, come on man.

Thanks for backing up my point that it is a team sport. Suggs' return did help Kruger by affecting the success of how the defense scheme attacked opposing teams up front. The proof is in both game results and Kruger's production. But of course Kruger had to be a beast to get it done.

And yes..Joe had tough times along with the rest of the offense, again proving that Joe is as good as the team that surrounds him. Even Suggs acknowledged that much of his success of a year ago had to do with Ngata on the line.

I would have no problem with the amount to pay Joe if the money was available but it isn't. So, My concerns is how much of the team may need to be dissolved to pay one person.

Imagine the fix the FO would be in if Carey Williams had signed his deal. Not a concern for the agent but it is a concern for the front office.

While the Agent only represents Joe in these negotiations the F/O must represent the entire team. Can you think of another reason no agreement has been agreed upon at this time?

Edited by HoldingCall, 27 February 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#95 djk987

djk987

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:59 PM

Im angry by this Flacco's contract situation, I'm a Huge Fan of Flacco since we drafted him, but Linta is bad...

Linta is just doing his job. It is his job to talk up his player to the world. It is Ozzie & Pat's job to bring team reality to the negotiations. What I don't understand is how an agent can represent multiple free agents of the same team at the same time. What he gets for Joe automatically limits what he can get for his other clients. How is that not a legal conflict of interest?

#96 ronchar30

ronchar30

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

we simply need to offer Flacco like 10 million a year (still more than hes probably worth, and surely more than any other team will pony up for his talents) and keep the likes of Ellerbe, Jacobi & Bolden who were all paramount in our run. heck with Jacobi (rightful MVP of SB)or Bolden, we don't even see the conference championship. I like Flacco, but he isn't Brady or Rodgers or Brees, heck is not even Manning. we cannot afford to destroy this team just because he wants top money. It still comes down to supply and demand, and no other team would pay him top dollar

#97 riseNConquer81

riseNConquer81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for backing up my point that it is a team sport. Suggs' return did help Kruger by affecting the success of how the defense scheme attacked opposing teams up front. The proof is in both game results and Kruger's production. But of course Kruger had to be a beast to get it done.

And yes..Joe had tough times along with the rest of the offense, again proving that Joe is as good as the team that surrounds him. Even Suggs acknowledged that much of his success of a year ago had to do with Ngata on the line.

I would have no problem with the amount to pay Joe if the money was available but it isn't. So, My concerns is how much of the team may need to be dissolved to pay one person.

Imagine the fix the FO would be in if Carey Williams had signed his deal. Not a concern for the agent but it is a concern for the front office.

While the Agent only represents Joe in these negotiations the F/O must represent the entire team. Can you think of another reason no agreement has been agreed upon at this time?

how is the money not available? if that were the case he'd already be gone, there would be no negotiation.

no, your point has nothing to do with a team dynamic, youre trying to apply a double standard and say Joe doesnt deserve to get paid for his performance despite the fact that over the past 5 years he's been doing the most with the least. you dont get to color your evaluation of Kruger with the presence of other players and then turn around and act like Joe's rough patches are ALL on him and had nothing to do with the underpowered shaky receiver corps he inherited when he got drafted or the conservative play calling of his OC. The problem with attempting to link everybody's performance together is that the theory doesnt hold up when you replace Joe with say Blaine Gabbert, or Jamarcus Russell. Joe is as good as Joe is period. the fact that he needs capable WRs to finish the plays he makes doesnt make him any less talented a QB. In reality, many of Joe's more negative stats (not all) are more reflective on the receiver than him. Everytime a WR drops a ball that counts as an incomplete pass for Joe. Every time a receiver screws up a route and the defender doesnt, that counts as a pick against Joe. you cant dock Joe's pay because the receiver play is bad. Do you go to your boss at the end of the performance year and tell him to pay you less because all your peers werent performing as well as you? no. why not? because that doesnt make any sense.

see your problem is youre missing the entire point of the salary cap.
its DESIGNED to force talent-loaded teams to share the wealth; let go of talent to balance the competition. You're gonna have to get over it, we cant keep everybody, we never will...not if we continue to be consistently successful. That's why we pay a bunch of dudes in the Front Office to be REALLY REALLY good at finding new talent...because we'll always constantly need it.
the only teams that can afford to keep their entire roster intact year in and year out are the ones who dont even know how to spell playoffs.

Edited by riseNConquer81, 01 March 2013 - 05:59 PM.

#98 HoldingCall

HoldingCall

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:39 PM

how is the money not available? if that were the case he'd already be gone, there would be no negotiation.

no, your point has nothing to do with a team dynamic, youre trying to apply a double standard and say Joe doesnt deserve to get paid for his performance despite the fact that over the past 5 years he's been doing the most with the least. you dont get to color your evaluation of Kruger with the presence of other players and then turn around and act like Joe's rough patches are ALL on him and had nothing to do with the underpowered shaky receiver corps he inherited when he got drafted or the conservative play calling of his OC. The problem with attempting to link everybody's performance together is that the theory doesnt hold up when you replace Joe with say Blaine Gabbert, or Jamarcus Russell. Joe is as good as Joe is period. the fact that he needs capable WRs to finish the plays he makes doesnt make him any less talented a QB. In reality, many of Joe's more negative stats (not all) are more reflective on the receiver than him. Everytime a WR drops a ball that counts as an incomplete pass for Joe. Every time a receiver screws up a route and the defender doesnt, that counts as a pick against Joe. you cant dock Joe's pay because the receiver play is bad. Do you go to your boss at the end of the performance year and tell him to pay you less because all your peers werent performing as well as you? no. why not? because that doesnt make any sense.

see your problem is youre missing the entire point of the salary cap.
its DESIGNED to force talent-loaded teams to share the wealth; let go of talent to balance the competition. You're gonna have to get over it, we cant keep everybody, we never will...not if we continue to be consistently successful. That's why we pay a bunch of dudes in the Front Office to be REALLY REALLY good at finding new talent...because we'll always constantly need it.
the only teams that can afford to keep their entire roster intact year in and year out are the ones who dont even know how to spell playoffs.

It seems you've missed the point! This the new face of the NFL. 53 men on a roster and 1/6 - 1/7 of available salary goes to one player; a true pyramid scheme. I totally understand it is by design but I do not agree with it.

I stated a few days ago that I thought Joe should be offered 16-18 million per year tops. You obviously disagree but to call that not getting paid is laughable.

The team just overpaid Flacco imo but they are not the first team to overpay. Don't be surprised if Joe spends a lot more time getting off the turf next season.

Edited by HoldingCall, 01 March 2013 - 10:45 PM.

#99 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,796 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:44 PM

He'll be getting off the turf because he just threw another TD. ;)

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#100 riseNConquer81

riseNConquer81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

It seems you've missed the point! This the new face of the NFL. 53 men on a roster and 1/6 - 1/7 of available salary goes to one player; a true pyramid scheme. I totally understand it is by design but I do not agree with it.

I stated a few days ago that I thought Joe should be offered 16-18 million per year tops. You obviously disagree but to call that not getting paid is laughable.

The team just overpaid Flacco imo but they are not the first team to overpay. Don't be surprised if Joe spends a lot more time getting off the turf next season.

1st off, Joe's cap number is 6.8 Mil out of 123.9, which translates to about 5.5%, nowhere near 1/7 which is a little over 14%.

second, i never said 16-18 million was getting paid but

third, (im assuming you just forgot) 16-18 million is what he turned down before the season started. and since then he won a Super Bowl. so whether i agree or not is beside the point. The Ravens already set his value as a perennial playoff QB with no superbowl victories within that range prior to the season, and Joe proved he was worth more than they thought at the time that value was set. thus your wishful thinking of 16-18 mil was never going to even come close to happening. the only real choices they had at this point aside from 20 mil a year is MORE than 20 mil a year.

Finally, its not Joe's job to keep him off the turf, thats what the O line is for, so that didnt even make sense.

Edited by riseNConquer81, 04 March 2013 - 05:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users