Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 2/26: Will Joe Flacco Follow Tom Brady?

105 posts in this topic

if you don't pay flacco, some other team will. pay the man and free some cap space. don't see whats taking so long

[quote name='MDpgRaven' timestamp='1361892702' post='1369690']
Banning Smoking at the Stadium is going to piss off roughly 35% of the fan base. i mean why? we have the yellow line to stand behind, NOW they finally put in the large tv's and then take away the right to smoke in the corners? this is BS!! your going to turn the bathrooms into a smokeing den. the stadium[slur deleted] are at it agian.

oh dear lord my poor child had to have some smoke pass through the air while we are walking..... this whole PC world is lame.

[/quote] I kinda see what you're saying. But the majority of us don't smoke and the smell of it alone is enough for me (and us non smokers) to be glad people can't smoke in private settings. And the stadium is not public, it's private, so they can make any rules they want. I don't like a bunch of infringing rules either, but this one is an exception; because it's just plain nasty and unnecessary.

Signed,
My aunt who is slowy dying from emphysema; who has been on an oxygen tank since she was in her early 40s, (now in her early 50s, but looks like she's 90) and is STILL smoking.

Joe is respectfully deserved to get paid in top 3 QB in the league period.....

Whatever Joe himself and agent work out with Ozzie, the contract should be shown how much respect he gets from it......

Joe is deserving of a BIG payday...Brady had already had his, earlier in his career.
HOWEVER- I do beleive that Joe's agent, Linta is a VERY hungry parasite. Very hungry.

[quote name='Natedogg77' timestamp='1361895707' post='1369762']
joe flacco isnt brady...brady carries his team to the playoffs every year and makes all his receivers better with his accuracy and decision making. flacco has needed and needs lots of help not just from his offense but opposing defenses. had Denver's poor D on jacoby jones, anquan making absolutely spectacular contested catches, ray rice scramble on 4th and 29 common man this team has carried joe to the playoffs just as much if not more than he has carried them. Every decision has been made to help joe by going out and gettingplaymakers, retooling offensive lines, firing offensive coordinators. so please joe has limited his mistakes in the playoffs but that entire team stood behind eachother and willed themselves to be superbowl champs they couldve cared less if joe flacco, tyrod taylor, or whoever was the qb. they werent going to be denied. and i think the only way to pay him 20mil is to ignore all the eggs he lays against subparr teams or how well he does when the defense isnt playing well. if he blows up the team or trys to hold the team hostage for a few extra million he's gonna mess up our team and id rather just let him go. i mean really what financial goals can you not achieve making 15 mil as opposed to 20mil. any car you want at 15mil you can have at 20. any house you want at 20mil you can have at 15...any school you want to send your kids to at 20mil you can still do at 15...but one thing you cant do at 20mil that you canpossibly do at 15 is win another superbowl
[/quote]If you really think any QB could have "willed" this team to a SB victory, I feel sorry for you.

It amazes me that so many "fans" are willing to let Flacco go for the sake of a guy like Paul Kruger. Everyone forgets life before 2008, apparently.

And the "if" game is stupid. What if Coleman doesn't call the Tuck Rule? What if Tyree doesn't make a spectacular catch? What if Sean Payton doesn't call an onside kick? Give me a break.

Lets not pretend Brady is a saint. He is getting a pay day till he is 40, not that he will actually still be around that long. But now, his pay check is no longer tied to the patriots success. They could go 0-16 and he is getting paid the same as if they go 16-0. Most players have much lower guaranteed money, but much higher incentive pay. He is doing what is good for him, and it happens to be good for the team too. Joe Flacco is young, and will actually still be playing in 2017, unlike Brady. He needs a deal that will reflect that.

Is Brady really giving his team that much of a discount? I don't know the complexities of the NFL salary cap, but it seems to me he is just taking "less" money because it is guaranteed. Will people say he did the team one solid if blows out his knee after two years, never plays a down of football again, and the Pats are then on the hook for $7m, $8m, and $9m for him for the next three seasons thereafter? Seems like he just chose the "cash" option rather than the "annuity" on his lottery ticket. Flacco deserves to stick it to the Ravens for a big contract, though of course, I'd love to see him take a little less. Let's not forget Manning, Brees, Brady, etc all have huge marketing deals in which they make mega bucks. Flacco doesn't seem to have that stardom.

The one line item about needing to sign Kruger after Flacco is something I totally disagree with. I like Kruger and all but Ellerbe is next in line or at least should be.

[quote name='jek81791' timestamp='1361895144' post='1369751']
40 times are the most overhyped and useless football test out there, case in point.... the oakland raiders
[/quote]

You comment is what is known as "using the exception to try to prove the rule"...

How bad are these other linebackers that Te'o is still practically universally considered a first rounder, or second rounder at worst? I mean, really... the guy's personality and ethics are in serious question, his performance in big games and against good pro-style offensive lines has been mediocre at best, and plain bad by some accounts, and his measurables at the combine are below average. Why is he still so highly regarded, what is it about him that is preventing people from Vontaze Burfict-ing his draft grade?

[quote name='manofsteel' timestamp='1361897091' post='1369789']
Joe deserves his money. Ed Reed needs to give up his salary and retire. Ozzie needs to take a cut as well as the other "upstairs personel" . Who cares what Brady did...didn't we woop his butt? That says it all
[/quote]

Why would Ozzie need to take a cut?

[quote name='manofsteel' timestamp='1361897091' post='1369789']
Joe deserves his money. Ed Reed needs to give up his salary and retire. Ozzie needs to take a cut as well as the other "upstairs personel" . Who cares what Brady did...didn't we woop his butt? That says it all
[/quote]

Ozzie and the "upstairs personel" don't count against the cap. They can be paid as much as Steve Bisciotti feels like paying them, it has no effect on the salary cap.

[quote name='metalraven' timestamp='1361898131' post='1369837']
I kinda see what you're saying. But the majority of us don't smoke and the smell of it alone is enough for me (and us non smokers) to be glad people can't smoke in private settings. And the stadium is not public, it's private, so they can make any rules they want. I don't like a bunch of infringing rules either, but this one is an acception; because it's just plain nasty and unnecessary.

Signed,
My aunt who is slowy dying from emphysema; who has been on an oxygen tank since she was in her early 40s, (now in her early 50s, but looks like she's 90) and is STILL smoking.
[/quote]

Well, I don't drink and it annoys me way more to be surrounded by a bunch of drunk off their butt loud mouths shouting profanities at the game. Especially when my children were little. I don't see anything being done about that though. No, because it's all about the all mighty dollar.

We are talking about an open air venue and the smoke goes straight up. Where they went wrong was making it non-smoking out in the open air and forcing the smoke inside where people had to walk through it.

[quote name='Ravens best girl' timestamp='1361899084' post='1369867']
Flacco's wife isnt a multi-millionare like Tom Brady's wife is.
[/quote]

Well, technically, Flacco's wife [i]is[/i] a multi-millionaire just for being married to Joe, but she's not self-made haha.

The Ravens need to pay Joe for so many reasons besides "setting" the market. Let's just start with showing commitment, and belief in Joe on and off the field for at least the next 5 years. Furthermore, the difference between Flacco, Manning, and Brees is that Joe is just entering his prime now. When Manning and Brees got their contracts it was only after winning the Super Bowl and after the age of 30. Lastly I really don't think a long term deal is all that risky compared to extending guys like Manning, Brady, Brees, who have all missed significant time due to major injuries. Heck Joe said he's never had a concussion in his life, and his durability is a very under-rated part of his game.

I also think its funny how certain players are linked to the Ravens during this combine process. Ray Lewis isn't going to be in this years draft class, and Te'O isn't anywhere close to the caliber of ability of a Ray Lewis. I don't see us taking Te'o unless he falls all the way to the third round and I don't see that happening.

[quote name='ravensdfan' timestamp='1361902476' post='1369960']
Well, I don't drink and it annoys me way more to be surrounded by a bunch of drunk off their butt loud mouths shouting profanities at the game. Especially when my children were little. I don't see anything being done about that though. No, because it's all about the all mighty dollar.

We are talking about an open air venue and the smoke goes straight up. Where they went wrong was making it non-smoking out in the open air and forcing the smoke inside where people had to walk through it.
[/quote] Ya, I agree with what you're saying.

[quote name='Popeye the sailor man' timestamp='1361896062' post='1369767']
I can run that 40 in 4.25 (only once then I'll have to sit down for a few hours) and I'm 66 yrs old. Joe Flacco deserves to make money but over time, not all at once and he needs to fire Joe Linta, he's ruining the whole team.I'm surprise Tom Brady said what he said,makes good sense and helps the team.
[/quote]You can run the 40 in 4.25.....MINUTES?? lol If its seconds you must have a rocket duct taped to your back. Seriously, congrats!! becuz if you can do that at 66, you must have been a blur at 20.
Im gonna reserve my opinion of Joe Linta until i hear about the contract.....then I'll decide if he should have been fired.

[quote name='Baltimorebulldawg' timestamp='1361891959' post='1369678']
"If you ask anyone out here." They'd say, yeah I'm exhausted! But how about that sub-4.7 40 I posted?! Suggs ran a 4.8 though, so there's that.
[/quote]Suggs was a monster in college both years not just one and he still holds the NCAA sack record

I heard Peter King commenting on Brady being a standup guy for taking 'less". He's 35 years old and he INCREASED his guaranteed amount. He,and his agent, know exactly what they are doing, and it has nothing to do with what's "doing best for the team".

can't break it down any easer than this if Flacco wants to have a shot at the Superbowl for the next few years then he needs to not squeeze the team for every cent he can. If he is only interested in fatting his pockets and wants to be the an average QB for an average team and finish with a average record every year then the team as a whole is going to find it hard to respect a guy that cares more about money than the chance to win championships. I don't care what Tom Brady's wife makes that he can afford to do that Joe Flacco wasn't a millionaire before joining the Ravens and if he were on the Browns he still would be without a ring.Joe Flacco did not single handedly put the team on his back and win any game some of the throws he made were completed buy having awesome talents like Boldin , Smith ,Jones , Pitta & Rice that made him look like a super star, not to mention a reshuffled O-line that gave him the time he needed to allow him to stand in the pocket and make those deep throws.Im so tired of people comparing Joe to Brady or Payton that is as ludicrous as comparing Ray Lewis with James Harrison.

I don't care what anybody says if you don't participate in all workouts at the combine, you have something to hide. He lost 10 lbs to run a faster 40 and he still ran a slow time and didn't bench press. People say the 40 is overrated for LB's, well tell that to the teams who have to have their LB's cover TE's like Jimmy Graham, Gronk, Hernandez, V. Davis, Pitta & A. Gates.

[quote name='runamuk' timestamp='1361891783' post='1369671']
I doubt that Te'o looked kinda jiggly and slow . i think that was a gut reaction by harbs. i was kinda shocked i had started to buy into his hype .
[/quote]

I was just kidding, but then again I wouldnt put a lot of stock into a 40 for a linebacker. Burfict ran a 5.00+ and played pretty darn well last year.

I don't think Flacco will follow Brady's lead but he shouldn't have to Flacco earned a big contract and is also entering his prime Joe earned it pay da man

[quote name='steelraven' timestamp='1361904391' post='1369990']
I don't care what anybody says if you don't participate in all workouts at the combine, you have something to hide. He lost 10 lbs to run a faster 40 and he still ran a slow time and didn't bench press. People say the 40 is overrated for LB's, well tell that to the teams who have to have their LB's cover TE's like Jimmy Graham, Gronk, Hernandez, V. Davis, Pitta & A. Gates.
[/quote]i like to see you go in their and lift with a bad shoulder then you can have a say in what these guys do

[quote name='jrs034' timestamp='1361907620' post='1370044']
I don't think Flacco will follow Brady's lead but he shouldn't have to Flacco earned a big contract and is also entering his prime Joe earned it pay da man
[/quote] yes he earned it but if he wants to keep winning he has to realize that helping his team out will keep them on the winning side

I don't know if harbaughs shake was disappointment or if it was saying oh he didn't get faster I don't know but the 40 is misleading anyway Te'o is quick enough and has good footwork he would be fine in coverage