31 replies to this topic

#1 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:38 PM

The Patriots just extended Tom Brady for 3 more years at an astronomically low 27M.

It puts the Pats in great cap position through 2017.

http://sportsillustr...riots-contract/

Hopefully, this helps the Ravens a bit in their negotiations with Joe. If Tom can take considerably less than market value, maybe Joe does too.

@gabefergy

#2 Purple Nurple

Purple Nurple

Telling It Like It Is Since 1974

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,970 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Fat chance. Joes gonna get paid. Although maybe SLIGHTLY less after this. Maybe.

newsigg2_zps9e6531bd.jpg

#3 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,039 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Fat chance. Joes gonna get paid. Although maybe SLIGHTLY less after this. Maybe.

That's what I think/hope.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#4 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:48 PM

The Patriots have made it clear they want to win NOW. They acquire Talib for a pick. They trade back into the 1st round (rare for Belichick). They take Dennard knowing he might not play for 2013-on. Now Brady takes less money to sign more talent around them. The Patriots are all-in. I'm so glad we knocked them out.

#5 black blood purple passion

black blood purple passion

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 858 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:01 PM

I hope Joe is paying attention.

#6 Sizzlebshu

Sizzlebshu

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:02 PM

The Patriots just extended Tom Brady for 3 more years at an astronomically low 27M.

Hopefully, this helps the Ravens a bit in their negotiations with Joe. If Tom can take considerably less than market value, maybe Joe does too.

Depending on how they restructured his salary this year (if they did) it may lower the franchise tag number.

#7 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,575 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:06 PM

Wow, this came out of the blue. Did not expect to hear this.

It's too bad we won't be able to re-sign Joe at that little money.

#8 beasy2487

beasy2487

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:15 PM

....Tom Brady has already gotten paid, has endorsements out of his backside, and is at the tail end of his career where his only desire is to bring another Lombardi to New England. This is Joe's first chance at a mega payday (one he's been working for his entire life and, in recent years, against considerable odds), he is just now entering his prime, and he just won a Lombardi. This will have absolutely no bearing on Flacco's deal.

#9 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,269 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

....Tom Brady has already gotten paid, has endorsements out of his backside, and is at the tail end of his career where his only desire is to bring another Lombardi to New England. This is Joe's first chance at a mega payday (one he's been working for his entire life and, in recent years, against considerable odds), he is just now entering his prime, and he just won a Lombardi. This will have absolutely no bearing on Flacco's deal.

100% agreed......Joe just came out his rookie contract and Brady just came out of his fatty contract so there is a big difference....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#10 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

I agree with most of your points, but I think it will have some impact. Tom Brady is arguably the best QB in the league and he is Joe's biggest competition in the AFC. He is taking less to help his team win. I think Joe is a very reasonable guy who sees the big picture. The Ravens want him to be a Raven for life and he wants to be here too. Joe just lost a little bit of leverage.

@gabefergy

#11 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,154 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

Super low! But as others have pointed out, Brady has gotten his money and then some.
a9skd1.jpg

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#12 PolishRifle

PolishRifle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:33 PM

I feel like Tom Brady is falling into irrelevancy. I know, he has great stats, but his team also continues to have the most ridiculously easiest schedules in the league.
Also, how many times can Joe Flacco outplay him until we can acknowledge, that he doesn't have the AFC in a choke hold the way he used to?

bJNF689.jpg

#13 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:38 PM

I don't think this does anything at all to Joes contract. Tom is on the back end of his career, not 27 coming off a Super Bowl. People forget that Brady only won his SB's when the Pasties had a good defense. Toms best football is far behind him IMO.

Tom Brady wouldn't have taken this deal 10 years ago, after a Super Bowl.... Joe isn't going to either.. Two totally different worlds at this point in their respective careers.

Edited by H8R, 25 February 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#14 beasy2487

beasy2487

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 949 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

I agree with most of your points, but I think it will have some impact. Tom Brady is arguably the best QB in the league and he is Joe's biggest competition in the AFC. He is taking less to help his team win. I think Joe is a very reasonable guy who sees the big picture. The Ravens want him to be a Raven for life and he wants to be here too. Joe just lost a little bit of leverage.

I see what you mean but I think you're overrating how much Joe or his agent care about what Tom Brady is doing. Joe already has a Lombardi (so it's not like he's chasing the dragon) and Tom didn't take less money to help his team when he was in the same position as Joe. If anything, Flacco is comparing himself to Brady when he got his second contract, not today's Brady. Back then, Brady cashed in (which is a major reason why their defense/WRs are so awful) and it's hard to think Flacco won't do the same. If anything, the fact that the Patriots are going to get better because Brady has extended is going give Joe more leverage because we need him to carry us that much more.

Also, Brady is making silly amounts of money in endorsements and is married to one of the preeminent super models of our generation... Joe does have the same level of supplemental income to justify giving the Ravens a break.

Edited by beasy2487, 25 February 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#15 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,408 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:40 PM

I think Brady and Manning retire after 2 years. For the 2015 season and on, the AFC's premier QBs will be Luck and Flacco.

#16 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,566 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

I see what you mean but I think you're overrating how much Joe or his agent care about what Tom Brady is doing. Joe already has a Lombardi (so it's not like he's chasing the dragon) and Tom didn't take less money to help his team when he was in the same position as Joe. If anything, Flacco is comparing himself to Brady when he got his second contract, not today's Brady. Back then, Brady cashed in (which is a major reason why their defense/WRs are so awful) and it's hard to think Flacco won't do the same. If anything, the fact that the Patriots are going to get better because Brady has extended is going give Joe more leverage because we need him to carry us that much more.

Also, Brady is making silly amounts of money in endorsements and is married to one of the preeminent super models of our generation... Joe does have the same level of supplemental income to justify giving the Ravens a break.

Outside sources of income don't matter when it comes to negotiating a contract. Whether Joe makes 18M a year or 20M a year it's not like he is going to be in a different situation financially. I think more pressure probably comes from his agent and the Player's Union than anything else to take the most money he can possibly get.

I cant see how Joe car argue...Tom is taking less money, so give me more because you will need me that much more. That is fool's logic. Joe knows just like everyone else how much the cap is going to be an annual problem moving forward for the Ravens and the more he gets paid, the less there is to pay other players.

I'm perfectly fine with paying Joe 20M a year, but I also think there is a little bit of give and take that needs to go into the negotiation. Maybe you offer him 20M a year but only if he signs for 7 or 8 years. Or maybe you give him 20M that is reached based on "likely to reach incentives", but the minimum is closer to 18M per year.

@gabefergy

#17 Moderator 3

Moderator 3

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,690 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:26 PM

Keep in mind that Brady did not take one penny less than he was scheduled to make. In fact, they've added money to the contract. They just added (cheap) years so that they can pro-rate his previous bonus over more years and get cap relief this year and next. Brady would have cost over $20 million against the cap this year without the extension.
15fqib6.jpg

#18 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,766 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

This is the deal I give Joe... 8-10 years 120million, 50 mill guaranteed cash.

#19 Super-PAT

Super-PAT

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

Brady took a home town discount in 2005 also, not as big but signifigant none the less.

Some players around the league would laugh at Brady for not making a big stink that he's nowhere near the highest-paid quarterback in football. He's due to make a salary of $5.5 million in 2005, with a salary-cap number of $8.37 million. I asked him last week about his seeming reticence to tub-thump, even though no other marquee player has what he has right now -- three Super Bowl rings by age 27. "To be the highest-paid, or anything like that, is not going to make me feel any better," he said. "That's not what makes me happy. In this game, the more one player gets, the more he takes away from what others can get. Is it going to make me feel any better to make an extra million, which, after you take everything [taxes and other deductions] away, is about $500,000? That million might be more important to the team.''

#20 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,607 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 06:37 PM

Oh boy... Skip Bayless must be getting happy :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users