199 replies to this topic

#181 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I think that anyone who thinks Te'o can't be successful in year 1 is crazy. Imo the question isn't how long will it take Te'o to become good, but much like Flacco as a rookie, how long will it take him to reach his ceiling.

I get what you are saying and if the Ravens were picking top 20, i'd be 100% with you. But at 32, we're basically picking in the second round. The only way we come away with a sure fire 1st round guy is if a guy falls because of questions i.e Upshaw. I wouldn't call Te'o a wildcard, i'd say he's more of a conservative investment. You put a small amount of money into him and be paitent because you know you can afford to watch him grow steady. Instead of a aggressive investment where you wanna see immediate capital.

Ellerbe is a lot like Flacco imo. Only a small amount of fans wanted this guy before the draft. I still remember hearing Anita Marks and Wally Williams saying he would be nothing more then a 3rd or 4th round pick. Flacco imo was a guy who was widely misjudged and labeled. Te'o is the same. Te'o will be a guy who you wouldn't need to be the guy from day one. Just like Flacco and Upshaw, but the more he plays the better he'll become imo.

i think we would kind of rely on him on day 1 if he was a first rounder. traditionally, a first round pick starts, as theyre a player in a position that NEEDS filling. if we keep ellerbe, for example, i think it would be best to get a FS or a WR for our first pick.

#182 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Is it possible that Harbaugh was faking the disinterest in Te'o in hopes other teams lose interest in him, too? We could trade down and get him near the top of the 2nd round like we did with Upshaw last year. Still, I don't think Te'o is their first choice if we stay put at #32.

Super Bowl Champions 01/28/01 and 02/03/13!

#183 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:00 PM

Did you mean "Te'o" is a lot like Flacco?

Yea good catch. Was discussing Ellerbe with someone while I was typing. Lol

mj5v69.jpg

#184 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

i think we would kind of rely on him on day 1 if he was a first rounder. traditionally, a first round pick starts, as theyre a player in a position that NEEDS filling. if we keep ellerbe, for example, i think it would be best to get a FS or a WR for our first pick.

But you have to understand where we are picking. At 32, if you pick for need, I think you'll definitely reach imo. Think about it. Todd Heap was our last 32nd pick. We still had Sharpe and Coats at TE. So Heap was a pick for the future more then anything. He only had like 11 catches year one. Think about Jimmy. Even though many think he's a bust, he was expected to be shutdown day 1. However he wasn't ready and even in year two the Ravens didn't just throw him out there. I think Jimmy will be a stud this year. Maybe I should've compared Te'o to Jimmy because the Ray Lewis comparison is unfair just like the Nnamdi comparison was for Jimmy.

If we keep Ed and Boldin do you see really see a FS or WR playing a lot in year 1? I honestly feel Te'o is a upgrade to our LB group so I have no doubt if drafted he'll win the job over McClain. But my point was that if Te'o is drafted at 32 or at the top of the 2nd round, he doesn't have to be counted on to be an immediate stud. He could just come in, keep his head down and bust his butt without the pressure of being the man.

mj5v69.jpg

#185 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 08:23 PM

Is it possible that Harbaugh was faking the disinterest in Te'o in hopes other teams lose interest in him, too? We could trade down and get him near the top of the 2nd round like we did with Upshaw last year. Still, I don't think Te'o is their first choice if we stay put at #32.

I doubt it. Harbs expression never changed. I thought Mayock had a good point about Harbs not necessarily being disappointed in his time but shaking his head because Te'o didn't have that 2nd gear. Te'o came off pretty strong running a 1.62 10 yard split, but he seemed to flatten out at around 30 yards.

I really want Te'o to be there at 32. Not necessarily to select him though I think he'll be really good. But moreso to see just what the Ravens would do. You definitely have a point about him not being option 1. I'd like to see what happens if he's there.

mj5v69.jpg

#186 flaccopoe

flaccopoe

Mintberry Crunch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,323 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:09 AM

Seriously do not want to see T'eo in purple, regardless of whether he falls to BAL or not. I think he'll really struggle in the big league, to say nothing of his character issues...

SIG CENSORED BY THE MODS

#187 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

But you have to understand where we are picking. At 32, if you pick for need, I think you'll definitely reach imo. Think about it. Todd Heap was our last 32nd pick. We still had Sharpe and Coats at TE. So Heap was a pick for the future more then anything. He only had like 11 catches year one. Think about Jimmy. Even though many think he's a bust, he was expected to be shutdown day 1. However he wasn't ready and even in year two the Ravens didn't just throw him out there. I think Jimmy will be a stud this year. Maybe I should've compared Te'o to Jimmy because the Ray Lewis comparison is unfair just like the Nnamdi comparison was for Jimmy.

If we keep Ed and Boldin do you see really see a FS or WR playing a lot in year 1? I honestly feel Te'o is a upgrade to our LB group so I have no doubt if drafted he'll win the job over McClain. But my point was that if Te'o is drafted at 32 or at the top of the 2nd round, he doesn't have to be counted on to be an immediate stud. He could just come in, keep his head down and bust his butt without the pressure of being the man.

Regardless of what position you are in the draft, there's usually gonna be a large period of time between your first two picks. at 32, manti wouldn't be expected to play like Patrick Willis, but he would want to play like a professional nonetheless. from what I've seen this far, manti plays like a 64th or maybe even a 96th pick, not a 32nd. if we drafted someone like tavon austin in the first round, i have zero doubt that that person would be able to step up right away and make a difference on the football field, no matter how little playing time he has. it's obvious that manti can develop and become an above-average LB, and maybe he could even become great. vaguely remember drafting a RB in the 2nd round of the 2008 draft who, after developing for a little while, became a pivotal piece of our offense.

i highly doubt (and it pains me to say this) that we manage to keep ellerbe, so unless we hit FAs really hard, whichever MLB we draft will probably end up starting at one time or another. i don't think manti is ready for those duties just yet.

#188 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:12 AM

I doubt it. Harbs expression never changed. I thought Mayock had a good point about Harbs not necessarily being disappointed in his time but shaking his head because Te'o didn't have that 2nd gear. Te'o came off pretty strong running a 1.62 10 yard split, but he seemed to flatten out at around 30 yards.

I really want Te'o to be there at 32. Not necessarily to select him though I think he'll be really good. But moreso to see just what the Ravens would do. You definitely have a point about him not being option 1. I'd like to see what happens if he's there.

One thing about Te'o is that his initial burst and lateral movement is quick enough to react to runners. Just forget about the Alabama game. Their linemen were blowing up the Irish. I'd rather see him in coverage than Ellerbe.

#189 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 11:15 AM

I'd love to see Austin at 32 but it probably won't happen. The guy that will be there will be the one that Ozzie wants or he will be on the phone trading down.

#190 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

Regardless of what position you are in the draft, there's usually gonna be a large period of time between your first two picks. at 32, manti wouldn't be expected to play like Patrick Willis, but he would want to play like a professional nonetheless. from what I've seen this far, manti plays like a 64th or maybe even a 96th pick, not a 32nd. if we drafted someone like tavon austin in the first round, i have zero doubt that that person would be able to step up right away and make a difference on the football field, no matter how little playing time he has. it's obvious that manti can develop and become an above-average LB, and maybe he could even become great. vaguely remember drafting a RB in the 2nd round of the 2008 draft who, after developing for a little while, became a pivotal piece of our offense.

i highly doubt (and it pains me to say this) that we manage to keep ellerbe, so unless we hit FAs really hard, whichever MLB we draft will probably end up starting at one time or another. i don't think manti is ready for those duties just yet.

We clearly have to very different opinions of Te'o. You say he can develop into a solid player and is a late second or third pick. I completely disagree. When I say develop I mean develop into the player he could be in the NFL. He may never be the best ILB, but I see him being top 10 at his position. Jmo. Te'o will come and produce around 100-120 tackles per year over his first 2 seasons. How and where he'll develop is in being able to become better at film study and understand offenses better. Any to mean Te'o is comparable to James Laurinaitis. Not just because of their 40 times as someone suggested earlier in this thread, but because of their style of play. Neither guy is a huge play maker in terms of Ints, ff, pds etc, but each guy is consistently good at everything they do. As much as people question Te'o in the pass game, you watch his games and he does well on third downs. People question if he's physical enough, but they called his guy the terminator for a reason. He dropped 10lbs last season and I feel it was a mistake because it took a lot of power and strength away imo.

You look at Laurinaities and I don't thnk anyone would label him the best. However if he and his 140 tackles were in the middle of the Ravens defense, do you think Ozzie could build around that? You're tallking about a guy potentially producing 120-140 tackles; 1ff 2-3 sacks a year playing around guys like Ngata, Suggs, Reed, BP, Jimmy, Upshaw and beside Ellerbe. I would have no issue with that type production from the 32nd pick.

Huge fan of Tavon's as well. Not sure if you are gonna select a undersized slot WR/Return guy that high. I'm someone will but not sure ozzie would.

mj5v69.jpg

#191 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

One thing about Te'o is that his initial burst and lateral movement is quick enough to react to runners. Just forget about the Alabama game. Their linemen were blowing up the Irish. I'd rather see him in coverage than Ellerbe.

The funny thing about the Bama game is if you watch LSU and Georgia play against them, both Minter and Ogletree had the same type of perform as Te'o. The only difference was LSU and Georgia matched up much better as a overall defense then ND. Bama had their way in every area of that game. If Te'o missed a tackle the play seemingly went for big yards. If Ogletree or Minter missed plays they still had guys like Ried, Rambo, Jones, Mingo, Montgomery, Jenkins, Edwards, Logan, Simon, Washington and other who are in this draft. That doesn't even account for the talent they have that will be drafted next year. I wanna be careful not to seem like i'm making a excuse for Te'o because he sucked in thatt game. No question.

However, for people to allow that game to hold so much weight in his evaluation is crazy. You can't just forget about it because it happened, but I don't think you can ignore all the other games either. You can't act as if USC,Oklahoma, Miami, Stanford, FSU, Michigan, Michigan st and other have a bunch of second rate player who will never even sniff the NFL. The guy has become a better football player each year over the past 4. I think his consistency is sets him apart from the other ILBs.

mj5v69.jpg

#192 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,597 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

We clearly have to very different opinions of Te'o. You say he can develop into a solid player and is a late second or third pick. I completely disagree. When I say develop I mean develop into the player he could be in the NFL. He may never be the best ILB, but I see him being top 10 at his position. Jmo. Te'o will come and produce around 100-120 tackles per year over his first 2 seasons. How and where he'll develop is in being able to become better at film study and understand offenses better. Any to mean Te'o is comparable to James Laurinaitis. Not just because of their 40 times as someone suggested earlier in this thread, but because of their style of play. Neither guy is a huge play maker in terms of Ints, ff, pds etc, but each guy is consistently good at everything they do. As much as people question Te'o in the pass game, you watch his games and he does well on third downs. People question if he's physical enough, but they called his guy the terminator for a reason. He dropped 10lbs last season and I feel it was a mistake because it took a lot of power and strength away imo.

You look at Laurinaities and I don't thnk anyone would label him the best. However if he and his 140 tackles were in the middle of the Ravens defense, do you think Ozzie could build around that? You're tallking about a guy potentially producing 120-140 tackles; 1ff 2-3 sacks a year playing around guys like Ngata, Suggs, Reed, BP, Jimmy, Upshaw and beside Ellerbe. I would have no issue with that type production from the 32nd pick.

Huge fan of Tavon's as well. Not sure if you are gonna select a undersized slot WR/Return guy that high. I'm someone will but not sure ozzie would.

I would really like to see us double-dip at ILB this year. Take Te'o/Brown/Minter even and then get a guy like Alonso/Klein/Hodges/Reddick. If we took Brown, take a guy like Reddick. If you get a guy like Te'o, get a guy like Alonso. It would make a perfect tandem & cover both weaknesses well. I think that's the key to the ILB going forward--two players who complement each other. There aren't a lot of Lewis'.

#193 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,391 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 01:05 PM

The more I think about Te'o, the less likely I think we draft him in the first round. Not only is it unlikely he is BPA, but he also has those questionable character issues. I think he is a smart player with good instincts, but the athletecism is clearly lacking. He's just not an explisive player and his upside is very limited. I think he could be a Rey Malaluaga type player, solud but not spectacular. I also think he is a better fit in a 4-3 where he is covered up by a Dline.

@gabefergy

#194 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

I would really like to see us double-dip at ILB this year. Take Te'o/Brown/Minter even and then get a guy like Alonso/Klein/Hodges/Reddick. If we took Brown, take a guy like Reddick. If you get a guy like Te'o, get a guy like Alonso. It would make a perfect tandem & cover both weaknesses well. I think that's the key to the ILB going forward--two players who complement each other. There aren't a lot of Lewis'.

There aren't any Lewis' imo. I agree with you 100%. I would love to double dip and I agree with each guy complimenting each other. To be clear I'm a fan of Minter and Brown, my defense of Te'o is more so towards the people who think the guy sucks. But i'm not saying he has to be the guy. I like the ILB group, but imo guys like Te'o, Minter, Riddick, Brown and others would be a upgrade.

I like Bynes and Carr more then I like Jameel, but i'm not sure how good those guys really could be. I think Te'o scares a lot of people as a first round LB. But people misunderstand that the fear should come from selecting this guy high, but a 32 the Ravens have a high 2nd round pick honestly. That's exactly what Te'o value is imo 25-42. He's not Ray Lewis or Willis, but he doesn't have to be. None of these guys should be asked to fill those shoes

mj5v69.jpg

#195 RBates

RBates

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,642 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

don't worry about me RBates this one is all yours brah! :D

~Mili

Lmao did you see the head shake. Thats how disgusted i get at some people on here.

#196 Ravensuperfan1

Ravensuperfan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

we will trade out of the first round. We won't draft Te'O he should really be a second or third round player.

Some other team will grab for the fools gold and take him in the first round before 32, and no way we trade up in this draft

Edited by Ravensuperfan1, 09 March 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#197 reediddy

reediddy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

The more I think about Te'o, the less likely I think we draft him in the first round. Not only is it unlikely he is BPA, but he also has those questionable character issues. I think he is a smart player with good instincts, but the athletecism is clearly lacking. He's just not an explisive player and his upside is very limited. I think he could be a Rey Malaluaga type player, solud but not spectacular. I also think he is a better fit in a 4-3 where he is covered up by a Dline.

poor effort...

But you're spot on otherwise, especially in terms of upside. The 7 INT's aside (I know it's hard to just brush those off) he isn't fit to be a coverage LB in this era. The instincts are a huge plus but I think it'd be dangerous to bank on those; you need the physical attributes to work synchronously with them.

As far as earlier posts suggesting Harbaugh's disapproval of Te'o's 40, I think he's learning something from ol' Bill in NE, along the lines of the NE "interest" in Mike Wallace to up the price for MIA

410 to 858

SUPER BOWL CHAMPS 2012-13

63W + 11TD + 0INT + 1SB + 1SBMVP = ELITE

#198 Latch

Latch

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:04 PM

would much rather we draft a guy like nico johnson in the 2-4th round. he's solid and with some work could become a force. manti could become good, just not sure he could become the great guy we need in the middle.

#199 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,597 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

I read the ILB article today on BR.com with Hortiz. He had words about all prospects I like, except Alonso. That's understandable. He also mentioned Nico.

His thoughts on Nico are very similar to mine. In fact, all of his comments are really true to me. Furthermore, he seems to speak well of Te'o. Not taking anything from it, but I think he casts Te'o positively. I won't be mad if we get Te'o.

#200 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Im still looking for us to draft an undersized coverage LB who isn't afraid of contact. Thats the way the ILB position is going now. Undersized guy with speed, good in coverage and isn't afraid of contact. He may not be an absolute animal against the run, especially when it comes to block shedding but the ILB/MLB role has diminished greatly in the last 5 years. Its kind of upsetting really, but you need a guy in the middle of the field who can cover ground and occasionally play man against these freak of nature TEs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users