Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Gino Gradkowski In Line To Replace The 'Irreplaceable'

39 posts in this topic

Gino Gradkowski knows he’s going to have to work to become the next starter at center.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Gino-Gradkowski-In-Line-To-Replace-The-Irreplaceable/9b5d85ad-006f-4380-b99f-5c61bd76cf65]View the full article[/url]

its your job to lose gino. good luck and you know they will bring in a veteran to push you.

Gino will be fine, not everybody shines in their first full year starting and that would be some high expectations. In a few years we might be talking about a pro bowler so give him time guys.

It is good that Gino has the attitude that he shouldn't take his move to starting center for granted. I think there is little question that we'll be bringing in new blood this coming year - potentially thought the draft. Even if Gino is ultimately the starting center, we'll need depth in the middle of our O line and that depth will push Gino for his job.

Good luck, Gino!

[quote name='charliebucket' timestamp='1361825442' post='1368550']
Now we just need a long term left tackle. McKinnie is great but could be gone next season.
[/quote]

I still have this crazy thought in my head that our future LT is KO, even though I've not heard anyone speak of it as a possibility.

If that came to pass ... combining that with the retirement of Birk and the inevitable release of B. Williams, we'll really have a strong need for filling in the interior O line. I know D up the middle is all the talk, but somewhere during the draft, I'm anticipating we're going to be looking long and hard at middle O line players.

Gino got his first experience against Geno Atkins...and played well. There was a reason we spent an early fourth on Gino, and this is it. It's his time.

@balfan23 and charliebucket:

Two words for you guys: John Wetzel!

The Left Tackle from Boston College

Gino you can do it bro just keep working he already showed a good bit of pop against the bengals and was mentored by one of the best and smartest centers in the NFL

Everything happens for a reason,now we know,if Matt Birk felt Gino wasn't ready then he would have not retire this year, that was quite a compliment Matt said to Gino " You'll Be Fine " Matt would never leave the Raven's hanging,the funny thing is that Joe Flacco and Gino came from a bird theme team called the Blue Hens ( U of D )the motto there was "Fear The Birds " if anything's going to make Gino better It's Joe Flacco

We drafted him in the fourth round for a reason. This is just the logical progression in the "next man up" process. I think he's good enough to start and, if he continues to perform at the level he has, should emerge from camp as the starter.

With full trust in Gino and assuming he'll turn out to be our long-term solution at C - we'd still need a veteran C on the roster. No matter how good gino is - he can get injured, just like any other player.

But I'm quite sure the FO has figured it out, too :D

bio

One more thing: I like to believe Birk wouldn't have retired if he didn't thing gino would be too much a risk... No proof of that really, I just like to think so :)

bio

I enjoyed watching him hold his own against Cincy's starters. He's going to be a great center for us.

"Gino will be fine"

Love it. Wonder if Matt will tell him 'nothing wrong with adding bulk'.

10 lbs of muscle to make 6'3" 310 lbs might go a little more ways in the run game!

'Irreplaceable'? Come on. We never heard that when Matt Birk was playing. Why are we hearing that now?!?!

Gino might start some games next year..........................but Birk's experience&absolute dedication to football will not be duplicated in one training camp for our new center. Good luck changes are upon us. RAY LEWIS is irrreplaceable but the Ravens will field another Ozzie creation without both those great veterans next year. IRREPLACEABLE? Sign Joe Flacco now!!!

Love Birk's leadership, but the reality is due to his age and injuries Birk was an average center at best the last couple of years. That is not meant as disrespect, just a reality of play. The middle of the line was blown up on several occasions this year. So from a physical standpoint Gino is an upgrade. If Gino can match or come close to Birks line calls, Gino will improve our line play in '13.