44 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,801 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

The talented middle linebacker could see his stock drop over off-the-field concerns.

View the full article

#2 10000 Watts

10000 Watts

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

I really don't think we should entertain this type of off-the-field character yet. We've just recently lost the strength/ability to effectively handle this type of character. I'm referring to Ray Lewis. He was the strength, etc. to handle young players coming in w/this type of character. I just don't think we should chance it so soon. I'm even skeptical of giving Teo a shot. Bottomline for me though (and forever will be) is In Oz We Trust. Go Ravens!!! :)

#3 CapoRocky

CapoRocky

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

I don't mind having Ogletree fall to us, nor taking Minter or T'eo either. It will play out however the chips fall. Ozzie will take the best player on the board or trade down. The best part about being the Super Bowl champion is not having to watch the draft until it gets down to the late 20s. How many of us have stayed up late only to see us trade down?

#4 beasy2487

beasy2487

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:44 AM

I really don't think we should entertain this type of off-the-field character yet. We've just recently lost the strength/ability to effectively handle this type of character. I'm referring to Ray Lewis. He was the strength, etc. to handle young players coming in w/this type of character. I just don't think we should chance it so soon. I'm even skeptical of giving Teo a shot. Bottomline for me though (and forever will be) is In Oz We Trust. Go Ravens!!! :)

I think you're underestimating Harbs. Our team did not become a high character team until after Harbs was hired. Lewis was here long before that and we had all kinds of knuckleheads on this team.

#5 MichaelTha6th

MichaelTha6th

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

I trust the Ravens coaches to iron out any off-the-field concerns. Whether we get T'eo, Minter, Ogletree, or none of the above, I trust the Ravens staff to draft the best guy.

#6 baltimorebeatdown410

baltimorebeatdown410

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Don't want him. Not because of his off-field issues. Watch his tape. Yeah he can cover decent but against the run he doesn't stop people in the hole. The backs end up getting 5 yards past the line with Ogeltree dragging them down from behind. Not the kind of ILB we want. Probably a little on the small side too.

#7 Ravensfan4life2010

Ravensfan4life2010

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

no i dont think so he cant conver lol. We need covering lbs everyone knows that. McClain cant cover so we need a lb that can cover

#8 Bobby

Bobby

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

I agree with Beasy....Harbs is the difference maker in the locker room - although losing Lewis and Birk takes out two very solid leaders who are good men first, players second. But I trust Harbs can handle a "problem child" and help turn them around...it is one of the best parts of the Ravens....

#9 Ravensfan4life2010

Ravensfan4life2010

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

he cant tackle i saw this one tape where he was literally being dragged lmao hilarious

#10 RavenInWoodlawn

RavenInWoodlawn

Practice Squad

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Well, there is a big error in this article as Georgia did not run a 4-3, they ran a 3-4.

Ogletree only played a 3-4 ILB in college.

#11 easternshore97

easternshore97

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:13 AM

I think you're putting too much stock into the phrase "off field _______________" or the phrase "character ________"

Put this into perspective: there are let's say 32*7 kids getting drafted...224 if I can still do math in my head.

Every year you hear about character concerns. How many of those kids get into trouble? How many that no one mentioned character concerns about get into trouble. They are all 20 - 23 year olds. Something either has happened or will happen. Don't let Todd McShay sway you into judging people.

McShay said that Michael Oher had character issues at one point.

I'm not saying what you are saying is wrong, but rather pointing out the fact that even coaches (one of ours as a matter of fact), have gotten charged with this sorts of things.

Most importantly, it's all a moot point because just like you said, Oz will get it squared away if it's that guy or somebody else

#12 brutt3raven

brutt3raven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:17 AM

Don't want him. Not because of his off-field issues. Watch his tape. Yeah he can cover decent but against the run he doesn't stop people in the hole. The backs end up getting 5 yards past the line with Ogeltree dragging them down from behind. Not the kind of ILB we want. Probably a little on the small side too.

He is far better than decent in coverage which is why we need him because of the league becoming more of a passing league... Just see what the 49ers did to us most of the time in the Super Bowl. In a 3-4 defense, its the D-line's primary Job to fill the holes and the LB to make a tackle. Which is why we need a DT before a LB I think. But your point of he can't tackle because he was dragged is really not fair because every LB in the league or college has dragged a player down before even Ray Lewis. The more important thing to look at is that he was there to make the tackle regardless not lost or not hustling to the football like Kevin Minter is often caught doing.

#13 TorryGundy

TorryGundy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

no sold on him or Te'o. I like what we have at LB wtih Ellerbeast and Bynes and Mclain. We need to get a beast NT or DT. It wont matter who we have in the middle LB spot if we keep geeting rolled on up the middle.

#14 RavensNo1Fan1

RavensNo1Fan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:22 AM

We can all speculate but the bottom line is We have a great staff that have proven many times that we will have a solid draft. The "experts" will give us a C to B- rating but in a few years they will upgrade that to a B or an A as usual.

#15 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

Funny - seems like this is a common question that must be answered for good teams like the Ravens, given they are always drafting at the back-end of the 1st round. We took that risk with J. Smith. However, any shortcomings he's had have not been off-the-field. As always, I trust our FO will make the proper evaluations - both on off-the-field risk and on whether he really will translate to a NFL player in our scheme.

I think this is shaping up to be a very interesting draft.

#16 J.O.14

J.O.14

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

Ellerbe will be back, i will bet on it. Also, if he does come back, we may not take a LB in the first round. We need a DT, and possibly a safety. If we do go LB, I'm not sold on Teo. I wouldn't mind seeing this guy or Minter with us. But i also think we could find a gem in the mid rounds with the way the FO finds talent.

#17 metalraven

metalraven

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

no sold on him or Te'o. I like what we have at LB wtih Ellerbeast and Bynes and Mclain. We need to get a beast NT or DT. It wont matter who we have in the middle LB spot if we keep geeting rolled on up the middle.

I agree, partially. We do have a solid LB corps. But it's definitely not dominant. I don't know if drafting Te'o or Ogletree would make us that; but I would love to see another dominant MLB. Upshaw is going to be awesome, and of course we have Suggs. But our MLBs are not dominant. They're solid. So I wouldn't mind seeing us go for a MLB who would eventually become next "feared" man in purple and black.

Who knows, though? With Oz, you never know what tricks he has up his sleeve. Whatever way he goes, it's all good.

#18 Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

He's a good person at heart ... aren't we all? But some of us end up in jail, while others don't. Take a guy who already has these problems and start paying him millions of dollars, and is it expected to get better? Yeah, maybe he can turn the corner, but it's a serious risk.

#19 KidNme

KidNme

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

Just look at Ray Lewis and his off the field problems when he was a youngster and what he did later to change it.
You have 2 lives, your young one and your adult one. Time to make up your mind which one you want to live. If it's the latter, we'd be glad to give you a shot, it's what we do!

#20 Free Agent

Free Agent

Sign me, Ozzie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,687 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:27 PM

He's a converted safety, he lacks the power and brute strength of a linebacker. He takes too long to get off blocks, and we've already seen enough of that from Jameel McClain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users