43 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,368 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:03 AM

Flacco contract talks went fine, Ravens ready to gamble on tag? Lewis at NASCAR.

View the full article

#2 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,136 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:37 AM

I still say what I've said all along: Flacco will receive the non-exclusive tag. The media way overhyped the theoretical possibility of another franchise luring him away. It's like it was last season when some media outlets almost saw it as a fact that a team (mostly the Pats it was) will snatch Webb - forget that some of the more sober voices tried to explain that franchises seldom ever take first round tender RFA's - and that's what happened. People should learn the limits of nfl-com's and espn's credibility. They'll always take a good story over facts and probabilities. Flacco snatched by the Browns? Great story. Flaco receiving the non-exclusive tag, still remaining in baltimore? No story. Of course they pick the first one to talk about at length...

No worries, my fellow Ravens-fans, Flacco is here to stay.

bio

#3 RavensNo1Fan1

RavensNo1Fan1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

I do agree with you bio but you also havce to remember that we are not talking about a CB. this is a franchise QB! If you can front load a contract the Ravens will not be able to match it. 2 first round picks and a front loaded contract is a very tempting option (especially for cleveland who can't seem to ever find a QB). The hype by the writers is very over blown but I also do think there is some validity to it. Remember the browns HATE us and to get a franchise QB for many many years they could very well pull the trigger. Ultimately I say don't take the gamble and just give him a great contract.

#4 ksk316

ksk316

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:54 AM

@biolarzen...The Browns not only have a ton of money but they need to spend a ton of money as stipulated by the league's salary floor. The have good defense and the only missing piece is a QB. So it's not a stretch to think that Browns will go after Flacco if we don't secure him.

#5 Elmo

Elmo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Allthough the possibility of Flacco being scooped up by someone else is over hyped by the media, just remember what the Redskins paid for RGIII last year. Even Jay Cutler fetched 2 first rounders a couple of years ago...

#6 Purple City Bird Gang

Purple City Bird Gang

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

@biolarzen...The Browns not only have a ton of money but they need to spend a ton of money as stipulated by the league's salary floor. The have good defense and the only missing piece is a QB. So it's not a stretch to think that Browns will go after Flacco if we don't secure him.

They need a couple of good wide outs too.

#7 Mad Scientist Too

Mad Scientist Too

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Go Jacoby go! Just don't get hurt. We still need you on the field in the fall.

#8 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,136 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:07 AM

Jacoby to the DWTS was by far the most logical decision, BTW.

bio

#9 ksk316

ksk316

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

@purple city
True. But they do have Josh Gordon and Massaqoui. If only Greg little can catch. They have a good TE and they could use Josh Cribbs well (which they haven't). With the money they have, they can go after a big named WR in the free agency and also Flacco. Just saying.

#10 TheRavengers

TheRavengers

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

Anything that results in Flacco not being in Baltimore is a massive, unmitigated failure. Period.

#11 bioLarzen

bioLarzen

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,136 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:20 AM

Allthough the possibility of Flacco being scooped up by someone else is over hyped by the media, just remember what the Redskins paid for RGIII last year. Even Jay Cutler fetched 2 first rounders a couple of years ago...

True - but the Browns also had the picks and cap space to offer to the Rams if they were so badly after a franchise QB - still they never really enetered the race for the #2 pick. now, Flacco is an established QB of course, while RGIII was merely an excellent prospect, so comparing the two is necessarily flawed in Flacco's favour - but so is the price. And anyway, Flacco seems to be the type of QB who'll always be "decent" to "good" in the regular season and start shining in January - and the Browns should first get there. A great QB alone won't put them in the playoffs. A good QB plus a good RB still won't get them in the playoffs. Remember, it's the AFC North, with three perennial playoff-contenders...

So I don't think the Browns would want to start the building process with Flacco. But, of course I'm not an inch closer to the future than any of us here, so I can be only as wise about it as anyone else can - but I still think it's gonna be the non-exclusive tag. But, whicever it is, I guess the FO is in the best position to make the best possible decision - so, whichever tag type they'll use, I'll assume that's the best decision.

bio

Edited by bioLarzen, 25 February 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#12 ravenalltheway

ravenalltheway

Practice Squad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:34 AM

im watching the combine right now, and im seeing Paul Krug's brother, joe. From what I heard, Dave Kruger, another brother of Krug is in this draft right? Cauz Im not seeing him at combine. Krugers are monsters LMAO

Edited by Grapple Raven, 25 February 2013 - 04:36 PM.
Profanity

#13 jowend

jowend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I didn't talk to my wife for two weeks when she watched when Hines ward was on the show, but I will be watching with her this time

#14 easternshore97

easternshore97

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:15 AM

Dang - Ray looks like he already put a few pounds on!

Maybe it's just his shirt...but his face doesn't look as lean.

The life of a world class athlete turned retiree...

#15 SCravenfan

SCravenfan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

The Raven Nation brought in a lot more fans this season and Jacoby Jones will bring in even more this offseason. I love this guy's personality and we need to keep him in Baltimore for a long time. Maybe Flacco and Jones will be the next Montana Rice combo

#16 BAM52

BAM52

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:20 AM

I may now haveto watch Dancing with the Stars. Please don't tell anyone. I don't want my man card taken away.

#17 balfan23

balfan23

MVP

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:21 AM

A "long way to go" doesn't sound good, when you have exactly a week to get a deal done. That leads me to believe we'll need to make a decision on which tag to use and I think that will depend on how far away from a deal we are when Mar 4 rolls around.

If we feel there are only details to hammer out and completion of the deal is a matter of a few formalities, we'll use the exclusive tag. My understanding is Flacco's cap hit will be the same as the non-exclusive tag($14.6M) til 4/17, when it would expand to $20M. So if we feel we'll 100% have a deal completed by then, we'll want total protection from other teams coming after him.

However, if we feel there are real potential deal-breakers being demanded by Flacco that could prevent completing a deal for the foreseeable future, then they may go with the non-exclusive tag. Their thinking would be that the team simply can't handle that $20M hit and are willing to risk having a team come after him. If that happens, either one side or the other will gain further leverage (depending on what teams come after him and what they're willing to offer). If some team is willing to offer the moon - it is entirely conceivable that we'd view the contract we'd need to sign him too as more detrimental to the team than losing him.

Edited by balfan23, 25 February 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#18 J.O.14

J.O.14

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

I could see the Browns trying to get Flacco. He is younger than Weeden, and a lot better obviously. I honestly don't see Flacco leaving us though, even if he does get offers from other teams. I think he will give us all the shots possible to sign him long term. And another thing, FA doesn't start till the 12th right? So if we put the tag him March 4th, does that mean we can still negotiate with him and other teams can't until March 12th?

#19 RobFuseRaven

RobFuseRaven

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:03 PM

Someone is going neg crazy lol.

#20 CQ1

CQ1

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:06 PM

If this Flacco contract goes awry- I am curious to what our PLAN X will be for QB.
We have got to have a plan, if this does NOT pan out !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users