Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mgridda

Aaron Curry

28 posts in this topic

Lawrence Timmons, the best linebacker on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster, and their current inside-linebacker came into the 2007 NFL draft as an undersized outside linebacker out of Florida State. His best attribute was his speed.

In 2009, some pundits said Aaron Curry was good enough to go #1 overall. It's currently 2013, and Aaron Curry, the Seattle Seahawks #4 Overall Draft Pick is widely considered a bust of giant proportions. Aaron Curry found tremendous pressure to succeed: high expectations, in Seattle.

Currently, he's still a very talented athlete: who was cut from the Oakland Raiders in 2012.

http://youtu.be/H0HpfWdPe_Y

The Bengals worked him out. Does anyone think the Ravens should at least work-out and invite Aaron Curry to our training camp? Anyone remember Aaron Curry?

Haha, here's a video of him blowing up Marcus McNeil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihq9EV7zgHs

I think we have one of the best linebacker coaches in the NFL and he can really bring out Curry's play-making ability. I hope we sign him. It'll give us options especially if we lose both Kruger and Ellerbe. He made 600k last year.

Surely we can afford that. Sign him for the vet-minimum.

He couldn't play OLB in our scheme so he'd have to slide inside. I didn't watch much of Curry in the NFL but I thought out of college his strength was supposed to be pass coverage? Sometimes those pass coverage LBs are just too soft in the NFL and can't handle the physicality of rush D on a regular basis. Now that was a great highlight of him blowing up a pulling Olineman, if he did that on a regular basis and was good in pass coverage you'd think he would have a job.

[quote name='BloodRaven' timestamp='1361762322' post='1367732']
Ah yes, bring him in with Maualuga and we'd have the most clueless ILB's in the league.
[/quote]

We can also sgn rolando McClain

Wasn't he once considered to be the "safest" pick in his draft class? I don't see the need to bring him in, really - I don't know if he could play in a 3-4 - he's kind of small at 6'2", and if his weight is right then he's also pretty light. There aren't a lot of free agents of other teams this year that I'd want. Maybe Shaun Philips - he's a bit older, but we could probably get him cheap and San Diego runs a 3-4 defense so he's familiar with the system. Even still, the draft is where we're going to find somebody, there's just nobody out there that's worth the money long-term. And I don't see the need to try and slide him in at ILB - just draft one, it will be cheaper and the position isn't worth big money anymore. The best ILBs in the league don't have as much impact as even an above average pass rusher (see Paul Kruger vs. Patrick Willis in this year's Superbowl).

It couldn't hurt to at least bring him in for a look. He is still just 27 years old and I remember him being okay in '11 when he was on the Raiders.

Curry was considered to be a safe pick, more of a tackling machine with decent coverage, not a pass rushing type. His first season was okay. 60 tackles , 2 sacks as a rookie isn't bad it just doesn't match up with being a Top 5 overall draft pick. His second season his "stats improved" that doesn't mean he improved but none of that mattered because Pete Carroll didnt draft him and he was getting that crazy Rookie Money then 6 yr 40M+, so Seahawks made a business decision to cut ties with the contract since he isn't going to become a sack artist.

Oakland defense doesn't play with any control or discipline because of lack of coaching, Oakland is one of those bad teams that for some reason don't get some of their young players on the field enough. I feel like if the team is losing let the young talent develop more in the process.

Curry is at the very least worth a training camp look for us, I mean we kept Kindle around for 3 offseasons for no reason, McAdoo has been around for 2 seasons injured. The Linebacker position will be in need both inside and outside depending on our FAs. Curry could provide depth similar to McClellan

Another positive with signing a guy like Curry is he should come at a low price tag, with a chip on his shoulder. Some good coaching could be what he needs to get his career on track.

If he comes for camp competition and is serious about wanting to become a better player & has a ridiculously cheap deal I see no reason why we shouldn't. He has underwhelmed his career but then again JJ was nothing too special before he came. I learned my lesson last year to not judge too much.

If hes willing to come in for a SMALL contract with incentives, I think we need all the low end guys that have something to prove, that we can find.. Who was Corey Graham? Jacoby Jones was let go...We find guys and turn them into players. Fabian Washington was a nice pick- up from Oaklabnd for us, a nice enough stop gap. We need competition!!

[quote name='H8R' timestamp='1361803707' post='1368039']
If hes willing to come in for a SMALL contract with incentives, I think we need all the low end guys that have something to prove, that we can find.. Who was Corey Graham? Jacoby Jones was let go...We find guys and turn them into players. Fabian Washington was a nice pick- up from Oaklabnd for us, a nice enough stop gap. We need competition!!
[/quote]
profanity is not allowed on this forum.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1361800321' post='1368003']
If he comes for camp competition and is serious about wanting to become a better player & has a ridiculously cheap deal I see no reason why we shouldn't. He has underwhelmed his career but then again JJ was nothing too special before he came. I learned my lesson last year to not judge too much.
[/quote]

But again, why would we bring in a guy that doesn't fit as an OLB in our system and will most likely have to change positions and slide inside? Isn't that why Kruger took 3+ years to finally show what he had?

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1361810341' post='1368154']

But again, why would we bring in a guy that doesn't fit as an OLB in our system and will most likely have to change positions and slide inside? Isn't that why Kruger took 3+ years to finally show what he had?
[/quote]
So slide him inside. I mean, let's say we lose Ellerbe and cut McClain for cap purposes. What do you want? He might be a nice player inside. I'd give him a chance to compete if it's a cheap deal. Just have no guaranteed money. He makes it or he doesn't.

I'm not one of those people who think it's guaranteed we re-sign Ellerbe. I know we will try, but I can see another Ben Grubbs coming here.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1361810686' post='1368161']
So slide him inside. I mean, let's say we lose Ellerbe and cut McClain for cap purposes. What do you want? He might be a nice player inside. I'd give him a chance to compete if it's a cheap deal. Just have no guaranteed money. He makes it or he doesn't.

I'm not one of those people who think it's guaranteed we re-sign Ellerbe. I know we will try, but I can see another Ben Grubbs coming here.
[/quote]

That's what I'm saying, we could slide him inside, but then we have a player who is out of position again. So why do it, when we should just draft a young ILB who will be here long term in the event Ellerbe is gone. I'm just saying, we've tried playing people out of position before, and it doesn't always work out, so why take the risk when we'd have to pay him more than we would a draft pick anyway? That's why I mentioned Shaun Phillips - I know he's older, but if I had to spend money on a free agent that would be starting for us, I'd rather have a guy who's played the position before. If we were going ILB, why not Ray Maualga?

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1361810819' post='1368162']

That's what I'm saying, we could slide him inside, but then we'd have a guy who has been an OLB his entire career trying to play inside. So why do it, when we should just draft a young ILB who will be here long term in the event Ellerbe is gone. I'm just saying, we've tried playing people out of position before, and it doesn't always work out, so why take the risk when we'd have to pay him more than we would a draft pick anyway? That's why I mentioned Shaun Phillips - I know he's older, but if I had to spend money on a free agent that would be starting for us, I'd rather have a guy who's played the position before.
[/quote]
Just because he hasn't done it doesn't mean he can't. As I said, I wouldn't have a problem with it if the FO believes he can slide inside. What's the worst that happens? We cut him and call it a day? That's not so bad.

Besides, more vets might get cut. We'll have to wait and see. I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Curry inside. It just depends on what the coaches think he can do. I'm sure they would try him out. If he looked bad, they just wouldn't sign him. Pretty simple.

[quote name='GrimCoconut' timestamp='1361811033' post='1368165']
Just because he hasn't done it doesn't mean he can't. As I said, I wouldn't have a problem with it if the FO believes he can slide inside. What's the worst that happens? We cut him and call it a day? That's not so bad.

Besides, more vets might get cut. We'll have to wait and see. I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Curry inside. It just depends on what the coaches think he can do. I'm sure they would try him out. If he looked bad, they just wouldn't sign him. Pretty simple.
[/quote]

True, there's no harm in the front office at least kicking the tires and seeing if he has anything to offer.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1361811190' post='1368167']

True, there's no harm in the front office at least kicking the tires and seeing if he has anything to offer.
[/quote]
Yeah, that's what I am saying. Just kick the tires. Bring him in for a workout. See what he has. See if he's motivated. He might be trash or he could be another Pollard, lol. I'm just being open-minded here.

You know the guy is garbage when Mike Mayock calls him "the safest pick in the draft". We don't need him when we got the best GM in football who im sure is evaluating actual GOOD players in this years draft.

[quote name='Ravenslifer' timestamp='1361810819' post='1368162']
That's what I'm saying, we could slide him inside, but then we have a player who is out of position again. So why do it, when we should just draft a young ILB who will be here long term in the event Ellerbe is gone. I'm just saying, we've tried playing people out of position before, and it doesn't always work out, so why take the risk when we'd have to pay him more than we would a draft pick anyway? That's why I mentioned Shaun Phillips - I know he's older, but if I had to spend money on a free agent that would be starting for us, I'd rather have a guy who's played the position before. If we were going ILB, why not Ray Maualga?
[/quote]

Because Rey is terrible. He's overweight, terrible against the run and in coverage. He's honestly horrible. The reason why we'd play Aaron Curry "out of position" is because he'd actually be a better fit as an inside linebacker. Seriously.

The Steelers did the same thing with Timmons. They took an outside linebacker in college and put him as an ILB in a 3-4. Worked wonders.

Also, why is this topic in "Non-Ravens Talk" or "Other NFL Teams" ???

He's a free agent, and the topic is about considering the prospect of the Baltimore Ravens signing him. It's not about any other NFL team, and it's the opposite of "non-Ravens talk"...it's Raven's talk.

Do players deserve second, maybe third chances? Sure, if they have a good work ethic, and have little to no off the field troubles. Would our coaches get the most out of him and find a place for him in our scheme? Absolutely, but first he's got to make it in our training camp. Actually before he gets to training camp, he's got to look good in the individual work-out for our coaches.

Furthermore, I agree with you Mgridda as I always thought of him as an ILB, why all the OLB talk?