27 replies to this topic

#1 mgridda

mgridda

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:38 PM

Lawrence Timmons, the best linebacker on the Pittsburgh Steelers roster, and their current inside-linebacker came into the 2007 NFL draft as an undersized outside linebacker out of Florida State. His best attribute was his speed.

In 2009, some pundits said Aaron Curry was good enough to go #1 overall. It's currently 2013, and Aaron Curry, the Seattle Seahawks #4 Overall Draft Pick is widely considered a bust of giant proportions. Aaron Curry found tremendous pressure to succeed: high expectations, in Seattle.

Currently, he's still a very talented athlete: who was cut from the Oakland Raiders in 2012.

The Bengals worked him out. Does anyone think the Ravens should at least work-out and invite Aaron Curry to our training camp? Anyone remember Aaron Curry?
Posted Image

#2 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,650 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

I forgot about him.

Its been a long time, I think his mental edge has washed off after being with Raiders for too long.

#3 Alexir

Alexir

Dark Wings, Dark Words

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,894 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

Don't think he fits our scheme

Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose.
Rings don't lie.
PSN Alexir23

#4 codizzle

codizzle

Director of Admissions- BSHU

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,575 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:41 PM

I remember him and don't want him
Just WIN Out!!!

6f3898d1-1b88-4209-a3a5-ed7fe2348d4b.jpg

+35

#5 mgridda

mgridda

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:49 PM

I think maybe he can come in and try out at inside linebacker if Ellerbe leaves.
Posted Image

#6 izvoodoo

izvoodoo

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,148 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

If nothing else hasn't he always been a good STer?

Hawkprey is the best poster on the ravens forums.

Officially.

#7 mgridda

mgridda

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 830 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Haha, here's a video of him blowing up Marcus McNeil

I think we have one of the best linebacker coaches in the NFL and he can really bring out Curry's play-making ability. I hope we sign him. It'll give us options especially if we lose both Kruger and Ellerbe. He made 600k last year.

Surely we can afford that. Sign him for the vet-minimum.
Posted Image

#8 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,724 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:03 PM

He couldn't play OLB in our scheme so he'd have to slide inside. I didn't watch much of Curry in the NFL but I thought out of college his strength was supposed to be pass coverage? Sometimes those pass coverage LBs are just too soft in the NFL and can't handle the physicality of rush D on a regular basis. Now that was a great highlight of him blowing up a pulling Olineman, if he did that on a regular basis and was good in pass coverage you'd think he would have a job.

#9 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

Ah yes, bring him in with Maualuga and we'd have the most clueless ILB's in the league.

#10 Tiz

Tiz

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

Ah yes, bring him in with Maualuga and we'd have the most clueless ILB's in the league.

We can also sgn rolando McClain

#11 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

Lol! Just when i thought i had seen it all...

Is this real life?

No thank you.

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

#12 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

Wasn't he once considered to be the "safest" pick in his draft class? I don't see the need to bring him in, really - I don't know if he could play in a 3-4 - he's kind of small at 6'2", and if his weight is right then he's also pretty light. There aren't a lot of free agents of other teams this year that I'd want. Maybe Shaun Philips - he's a bit older, but we could probably get him cheap and San Diego runs a 3-4 defense so he's familiar with the system. Even still, the draft is where we're going to find somebody, there's just nobody out there that's worth the money long-term. And I don't see the need to try and slide him in at ILB - just draft one, it will be cheaper and the position isn't worth big money anymore. The best ILBs in the league don't have as much impact as even an above average pass rusher (see Paul Kruger vs. Patrick Willis in this year's Superbowl).

Edited by Ravenslifer, 25 February 2013 - 12:26 AM.

#13 JohnnyBoy8102

JohnnyBoy8102

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 12:42 AM

It couldn't hurt to at least bring him in for a look. He is still just 27 years old and I remember him being okay in '11 when he was on the Raiders.
"There are six, seven players in front of me [financially] at my position that I honestly wouldn't let hold my jock, and I don't even wear one."- Ed Reed

"Your a joke." -Mr. GM

#14 evass#ravensnation

evass#ravensnation

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

I wouldn't mind us giving him a chance to show what hes got

#15 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:44 AM

Curry was considered to be a safe pick, more of a tackling machine with decent coverage, not a pass rushing type. His first season was okay. 60 tackles , 2 sacks as a rookie isn't bad it just doesn't match up with being a Top 5 overall draft pick. His second season his "stats improved" that doesn't mean he improved but none of that mattered because Pete Carroll didnt draft him and he was getting that crazy Rookie Money then 6 yr 40M+, so Seahawks made a business decision to cut ties with the contract since he isn't going to become a sack artist.

Oakland defense doesn't play with any control or discipline because of lack of coaching, Oakland is one of those bad teams that for some reason don't get some of their young players on the field enough. I feel like if the team is losing let the young talent develop more in the process.

Curry is at the very least worth a training camp look for us, I mean we kept Kindle around for 3 offseasons for no reason, McAdoo has been around for 2 seasons injured. The Linebacker position will be in need both inside and outside depending on our FAs. Curry could provide depth similar to McClellan

#16 jdynamite

jdynamite

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:48 AM

Another positive with signing a guy like Curry is he should come at a low price tag, with a chip on his shoulder. Some good coaching could be what he needs to get his career on track.

#17 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:52 AM

If he comes for camp competition and is serious about wanting to become a better player & has a ridiculously cheap deal I see no reason why we shouldn't. He has underwhelmed his career but then again JJ was nothing too special before he came. I learned my lesson last year to not judge too much.

#18 H8R

H8R

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,563 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:48 AM

If hes willing to come in for a SMALL contract with incentives, I think we need all the low end guys that have something to prove, that we can find.. Who was Corey Graham? Jacoby Jones was let go...We find guys and turn them into players. Fabian Washington was a nice pick- up from Oaklabnd for us, a nice enough stop gap. We need competition!!

#19 GrimCoconut

GrimCoconut

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,065 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

If hes willing to come in for a SMALL contract with incentives, I think we need all the low end guys that have something to prove, that we can find.. Who was Corey Graham? Jacoby Jones was let go...We find guys and turn them into players. Fabian Washington was a nice pick- up from Oaklabnd for us, a nice enough stop gap. We need competition!!

profanity is not allowed on this forum.

#20 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,233 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:39 AM

If he comes for camp competition and is serious about wanting to become a better player & has a ridiculously cheap deal I see no reason why we shouldn't. He has underwhelmed his career but then again JJ was nothing too special before he came. I learned my lesson last year to not judge too much.

But again, why would we bring in a guy that doesn't fit as an OLB in our system and will most likely have to change positions and slide inside? Isn't that why Kruger took 3+ years to finally show what he had?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users