Ravens at Saints      Pro Bowl Ballot      Game Rewind   

Watch Pre-Game Sights & Sounds LIVE at 7:45 pm ET

Be on the field with the Ravens during pregame! Watch players warm-up, follow news & analysis and go inside the team huddle!
Close

Photo

[News] Wide Receiver Tavon Austin Shows Blazing Speed In 40-Yard Dash

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,824 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

The West Virginia WR and Dunbar High School graduate officially clocked a 4.34-second 40-yard dash.

View the full article

#2 T-Phizzle

T-Phizzle

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

He would be a nice addition but I believe there are more pressing needs that need to be addressed.

#3 jonny raven

jonny raven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I agree, but at the same time, when you have a shot to land a Percy Harvin or Randall Cobb type nightmare to defenses, its hard to pass up. How would teams cover him in the slot, Smith out wide, and Bolden and/or Pitta everywhere, and Rice in the backfield. Teams would be forced to play us straight up. And we could probably trade 4 and 5 round picks to move to get an extra pick in the second or third to address these needs since we should have 4 extra compensatory picks coming our way. Best player available.

#4 Mystigo_Dragon

Mystigo_Dragon

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,480 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

It would be a fairy tale to land a home town kid who blazes but there's no way he'll be around and will also be the BPA or someone who can fill our pressing need, i.e. O and D Line or ILB!

#5 runamuk

runamuk

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

Fast ,good hands ,and a matchup nightmare for defenses. we may not need a new wide reciever but I certainly want him to be a raven

#6 how bout dem ravens

how bout dem ravens

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 03:57 PM

He is a good player however we have no need for him in an already full receiver corps everyone seems to forget jacoby jones is our #3 receiver. Also that we have plenty of talented young wide outs in tandon doss ( potential future anquan boldin ) laquan williams deonte thompson and tommy streeter .

#7 J.O.14

J.O.14

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

If he is somehow still available at 32, i don't think we could pass him up. He would bring a lot to our football team. He is to fast, and quick off the line for most nickel backs or LB's. He would be a Percy Harvin or a Wes Welker on this football team. I know Jacoby Jones is our #3, but He isn't that sure handed guy. Austin would be a better reciever. I don't think there is a better return man in the world right now besides Jones though. It would be an awesome pickup, but we have bigger needs. We need a DT, LB, or S. Depending on what happens in free agency, depends on the order the positions are drafted.

#8 TheRavengers

TheRavengers

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

On paper he'd be a cool addition but the team already has a full set, and not to mention some untested guys on the practice squad.

#9 FLBoyRaven

FLBoyRaven

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:10 PM

Too me coming out the draft with 3 solid players is better then drafting a buch of guys late that aren't going to get playing time. We are already a talented team with good depth at some positions one of those being wr, but we all know that Oz and co never go with needs to the full extent. If theres a way we can get Tavon because even tho we need D, another offensive weapon is hard to pass up on and I know he won't last past the first 3 picks in the 2nd round. But if we can get him at 32 and then trade up to the 2nd round and get a top DT/NT, 3-4 DE, CB, FS, T, C with our first 3 picks I think we will be alright. Birk is getting old but still plays at a high level where he's still gonna start but a guy like Barrett Jones could easily fill his void when he's gone. Austin is just a playmaker and hard to pass up if still available. I know D is what we all want but if we can retain some guys and pick up a couple FA I think our D will be just fine. It is a different game now with offense driving teams now. Yes D has to be good but we no longer have to be top 10. With Webb coming back, Suggs getting healthy, Art Jones, Mcphee, and Upshaw getting better and Corey Graham and jimmy smith picking up the D more I think we will be fine. But if Kruger wants too much then we will need to fined another passrusher. Only time will tell.

#10 RavensFanatic11

RavensFanatic11

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:23 PM

birk retired friday flboyraven

#11 Raven Hammer

Raven Hammer

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Even if Davis is gone the Raiders will not let Austin pass

#12 Dewy101

Dewy101

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Even if Davis is gone the Raiders will not let Austin pass

Hahaha

#13 jrs034

jrs034

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:50 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he's pretty fast

#14 jrs034

jrs034

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,554 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

And I have a prediction... With the 3rd pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Oakland Raiders select Tavon Austin

#15 sami

sami

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,005 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:00 PM

why isnt eveybody making a big deal outa Marquise Goodwin? He ran the 40 almost a whole second faster.
The problem with Austin is hes so small. Both height-wise and weight-wise. He might make it to pick 32 for just that reason.

#16 NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

@Sami.. No, I don't agree with you. Austin is 5'7" and around 170ish. Now lets look at a NFL WR who has been a star throughout his career and most likely a HOF prospect. Panthers WR Steve Smith who is 5'8" and around 180ish. Both players are close to the same size. And with Austin he has room to gain a few extra pounds and still be quite fast. I doubt he will still be on the board by the 32 pick. But if he is he would not be a terrible pick by far. Though I think we might benefit from getting a DE or DT in the first round and a WR in the second.

#17 frankthebunny

frankthebunny

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

@Sami: No one's making a big deal of Goodwin because 40 times aren't everything. Fair or not, Goodwin has received the label of being just another track star who thinks he can play football because he's fast. When you look at his college game, he doesn't look so great. Granted, he's impressed with his hands at the Senior Bowl and Combine, but that's not enough to push him into 1st round consideration. Austin, on the other hand, has proven that he is just as electrifying in pads as in gym shorts, which is why I don't expect him to be on the board at 32.

#18 purple-raven

purple-raven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:24 PM

He would be a nice pick up, but I know the upcoming free agency period and the Flacco deal will determine what we do in the draft. Free agency has the potential to mess affect our needs on draft day. Did Ray actually sign his papers yet for retirement. I didn't think they could spend that money until he did. Anyone see anything yet on that?? Thanks in advance.

#19 Purple City Bird Gang

Purple City Bird Gang

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:36 PM

I love this kid he has a unique skill set and lots of speed he'll be a nightmare out of the slot but we really don't need a WR and I really hope Tommy Streeter develops into something this year 4-4 speed 6'5 lean and strong Joe would love that.

#20 Purple City Bird Gang

Purple City Bird Gang

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:39 PM

We really have enough on offense we need help on D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users