Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Who's Out There? Inside Linebackers

72 posts in this topic

Could the Ravens replace Ray Lewis with an outside veteran?

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Whos-Out-There-Inside-Linebackers/1f60345f-2e2e-4016-ac26-65f35011de69]View the full article[/url]

Go with a rookie in the draft..teach him good...train him hard...show him film...and mold him into the next legendary Ravens LB. That way we don't have an old player retire after we win another super bowl! ;) #RavensNation

Man I think our firt pick should be Jesse Williams he favor Ngata so much it's crazy the middle of our D would be insane.

No need for any of these guys. They're all free agents for a reason; either old or just bad. Maualuga is AWFUL. Why else would a pathetic organization like Cincinnati let him go. This article reminded me of another ex-Raven in Tavares Gooden who left Baltimore to enter oblivian without Ray Lewis, ala Bart Scott. Off topic a bit, saw some of the combine on NFL network. Seriously, I think I'd rather go to the dentist than sit through 30 seconds of that crap!

We need some baby boys on the team, drive them Ball So Hard, hiring the older veterans is like a nursing home, they all hurt and nursing something

All Bart Scott does is run his mouth. Way slower than anyone on d now. Pass on him.

re-sign Ellerbe, draft either Kevin Minter or Manti Te'o and let Josh Bynes get some snaps when the season begins and our ILB position should be ok.

Go to the draft to get a ILB but if we loose Ellerbe I wouldn't mind seeing Brian Urlacher depending on price he brings allot of leadership can cover pretty well and does a fair job blitzing if he goes for like 1-2 mil a season on a single year deal he could be a stud stopgap player

Wow what a decision for the front office. This weekend and the pro days will factor in to what they end up doing.

No real way to tell who's best until you chat with them and see them up close.

I remember Bisciotti asking why not Asante Samuel over Ed Reed...those front office guys do their job pretty darn good

Just do what we always do. Get hungry young guys, let them compete, and the rest will take care of itself. You will always be chasing a ghost trying to find the next Ray Lewis. We didn't know how good Ray was in 96, and same for Ngata,Reed, and Suggs. Part of the reason we remain competitive IS because we don't mortgage the future with FA's like some teams. We always have depth, and don't over-pay for washed up guys. Oz and the boys will do well. Can't wait til draft day!!!

Ill pass on all of them . Give me Ellerbeast any day. McClain next to him for next year and a rookie learning from both of them and let Bynes continue to deveope maybe even take over for MCClain by the end of training camp. And No Te'o. He is not a Raven!

I like the idea of bringing in Maualuga. He's the only real promising younger guy on this list. Outside of that, draft Teo and call it a day.

There are a few can't miss guys each year at ILB, but none are ever available by the time we pick, because we are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS. But it is not just about drafting; it is also about coaching and developing. Look at all the LBs we have drafted late and became starters, jumped ship for money(can't really blame a guy for going for the paycheck), and got lost in mediocrity on their new team. If I'm not mistaken, both Ellerby and McClain were late or undrafted. It is just the Ravens way and it works.

I like the sound of another Ray playing for the Ravens I think our coaches & players can guide him in the wright direction so I say Ray Maualuga.

Curious to see where our guy (practice squad) Hamilton fits in. Either way, we need to get younger and faster.

Are we ever gonna give Albert McClellan another shot!

He's got the eyes of Mike Singeltary and he throws out big hits on special teams. C'mon!

i think we should stay in house and thru draft. mcclellan looks good to me, u just have to give them reps and have to start them to see what they can do, i think McClellan is underrated and he looks like a clone of James Harrison.

I agree keep it in house or draft. It's less costly and generally works out better. Young is also hungry in many cases. GO RAVENS!!!!

[quote name='D3x3001' timestamp='1361634968' post='1365593']
I like the idea of bringing in Maualuga. He's the only real promising younger guy on this list. Outside of that, draft Teo and call it a day.
[/quote]
Te'o is a great player and would be a good fit to replace Ray but I wouldn't recommend mentioning him around here unless you want to be tarred and feathered by the community. The whole girlfriend thing scares and confuses them

[quote name='raven410' timestamp='1361643876' post='1365746']
Who's out there? Kruger and Ellerbe. I'll take those two.
[/quote]

Ellerbe? Yes definitely. Would prefer him to any inside LB in the draft or free agency.

Kruger? Not so much (also different position). Kruger had just 1.5 sacks while Suggs was out (including a boneheaded penalty at the end of the first Browns game which gave them another set of downs in the redzone after the game was essentially over) and only got his other sacks with Suggs lined up opposite him taking some of the attention.

Not to say Kruger can't be a good player but he didn't show much to aid his argument as an individual but more for a complementary role. He'll probably be asking a pretty penny and I just don't think the FO will fork it over with the other young guys we have for cheaper (McPhee and Upshaw can replace those sacks and then some). I don't see Kruger back next season.

[quote name='TheRavengers' timestamp='1361641423' post='1365704']
Does Michael McAddo ring a bell to anyone?
[/quote]

I beleive that he blew out his achilles / mcl to begin the year. He was a defensive, pass rusher out of UNC. I beleive that he was one of the players that had brought violations to his school along with others a few years back.

I see it this way. If we don't get Minter or Te'o in the draft, then we will sign someone for depth and go with what we already have. Ellerbe will remain a Raven.

We never sign the guys that show up in these articles. Our LBers are currently injury prone, we definitely need to bring in young guys for depth. Ellerbe and McClain might not last a whole season together, they're good players but we need depth behind them.

I really don't like the idea of signing any of these veterans. We have solid starters (assuming we can keep Ellerbe), a little bit if depth and we should be able to find someone decent in the draft.

Ellerbe and McClain, draft a MLB in the later rounds, draft a beast d linemen early and let the lbs run free. If there is value at MLB in free agency we will find it.

We most likely won't pick up any of these guys , ellerbe and Mclain are solid linebackers . Ellerbe is one of the better young players in the league in my opinion and he still has his best football to play ahead of him. But we need some assurance and potentially a guy who could overtake Mclain as a starting MLB . Both Mclain and ellerbe have injuiry problems so it will be interesting to see which one of our bigger needs do we address with our top selection . D.T or MLB . I think D.T is still a bigger need but if we lose ellerbe then MLB will be a bigger need . Have faith in Ozzie to sign ellerbe

charliebucket I would take Alec Ogletree over Ellerbe. The guy has WR speed at linebacker (witch we need when dealing with all these elite QBs and TEs) and can hit like a battery ram. Not to mention Ogletree could play OLB as well witch is good in case we loose Kruger.

I trust Ozzie and his staff in free agency. Just look at the free agents we got that helped us win the super bowl: McKinney, Boldin, Jacoby, Graham, Kemoeatu. No real blockbusters, except Boldin. The man knows his stuff. Did I mention we WON THE SUPER BOWL?

Forgot Leach
by

[quote name='JakeNumber55' timestamp='1361649283' post='1365883']
charliebucket I would take Alec Ogletree over Ellerbe. The guy has WR speed at linebacker (witch we need when dealing with all these elite QBs and TEs) and can hit like a battery ram. Not to mention Ogletree could play OLB as well witch is good in case we loose Kruger.
[/quote]

Did you watch Ellerbe at all this year? Ellerbe has speed, very good speed. He can cover TE's and RB's and he can hit like a battery Ram as well, and not to mention that Ellerbe had 4.5 sacks from the ILB position, so he is a pretty good blitzer, I would take Ellerbe anyday, and he was by far our best defender in my opinion.

I wouldn't mind signing somebody for depth, but if we get anyone to replace a LB, we need to do it in the draft. I honestly don't want Manti Teo, I don't know about anyone else, but to me he got his butt kicked in the National Title game. He really didn't play anybody during the regular season, and i feel like he is gonna be a Tim Tebow of this year's draft. I don't feel like he will be a good player, but im also not a scout so i could be wrong. Minter would be a good pickup, but we just have to trust Ozzie. I think McClain and Ellerbe are going to be our starters anyway, unless we draft a replacement for McClain.

J.O.14 He dosent have near the speed Ogltree dose not even close to it. Teams took advantage of the linebackers all the time in pass coverage this year, Im also worried about Ellerbe because he has been some what injury prone. I wold still take Ogltree in the first round if he is there because he could play both ILB and OLB at this level so he would fill the whole of whoever we lost either Kruger or Ellerbe because more than likley were not going to get both back And no he is no were near are best defender.... Webb,Nagta,Suggs,Reed, and others

When I say I want Alec Ogletree, I dont mean I want to get rid of Ellerbe or Kruger thats on of the last things I want. I say I want Ogletree because he could fill either the whole left by Kruger or the one by Ellerbe, he can play both ILB or OLB at a high level for us. IF your also worried about the conduct issues, its the Ravens locker room, please let me know the last time the Ravens let someone corrupt our locker room and cause problems.

CxM_27 I also agree, we need to get the Middle of the Defense stronger. I just dont see us taking Williams in the first for one reason only, and its because there is alot of depth in the draft for Offense and Defense line in this draft. There is a huge possibility for someone like John Jenkins, or someone along the lines of Jesse Williams to fall to us in the 2nd. I dont know if you watched last years draft, but there was a huge backup on WR and people with 1st round potential were falling to 2nd and 3rd rounds i.e Ruben Randle, thats also how we got Tommy Streeter people had him going in the 3rd we got him in the 6th. Look for something like that to happen this year just with the lineman.

[quote name='J.O.14' timestamp='1361665022' post='1366157']
Ellerbe does have speed, I don't know where you think he is slow. Ellerbe was our best coverage LB, they didn't go at him very often. They might have went at McClain and Ray a lot, but not Ellerbe. I would like to have him, him and Ellerbe in the Middle would be awesome. We don't need him to replace Kruger, that is what we drafted Upshaw for, and upshaw had a good year this season. Ellerbe was our best defender, Suggs had 2 sacks in 9 games, Ngata was not nearly as dominate cause he was hurt, Webb played 6 games, and Reed missed more tackles than he made. Ellerbe was 2nd on the team in tackles, had 4.5 sacks, and did this while he was hurt. Like i said, I don't know what games you were watching. Our defense was much better with him on the field.
[/quote]

I dont think you understand what im trying to say. Ellerbe has good speed for a linebacker, but not even close to Ogletree`s speed. Its not hard to be our best cover linebacker on the Ravens we were awful all season, also Ellerbe was picked on alot this season just look at the divisional playoff game vs Peyton, that back shoulder throw to Knowshawn Moreno in the back corner of the endzone. Also you cant say oh that was Peyton Manning so it dosent count. Were going to have to go threw those top QBs every year to get the playoffs and more. Also Ellerbe again was not our best defender, Cary Williams was great, Corey Graham was great, Upshaw was amazing at run stopping, and Nagta was still a beast on the inside playing with a sprained MCL. Also Ellerbe has major [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]durability problems when he wasnt playing every single down of a game non stop every week like Ray Lewis, like Jameel McClain. On the note of Ogletree coming in to replace Kruger (if we lost him) My point on that is kinda like we did with McClain kicking him out to OLB randomly having him rush the passer without the defense picking that up he would be very hard to block, not to mention we can kick Upshaw to DE like Bama did with him in college and bring Ogletree in for pass rushing [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]situations. Im not a idiot, I watch the games and I dont let me liking a player get in my way of knowing what would be good or bad for the team. And without a doubt Alec Ogletree would be a great piece to add to this team.[/color][/font]

Honestly, I dont want anyone but Jesse Williams in the first round.. He will make everyone behind him look 50xs better

My Prayers go to Albert McClellan if he cant get through camp healthy for once & we resign Eller Beast Suggs Upshaw & possibly some players on a p-squad Nigel Carr Hamilton we im not really worried about Ilb im more worried about our d line we need a Stud next to Ngta

[quote name='JakeNumber55' timestamp='1361654019' post='1365975']
J.O.14 He dosent have near the speed Ogltree dose not even close to it. Teams took advantage of the linebackers all the time in pass coverage this year, Im also worried about Ellerbe because he has been some what injury prone. I wold still take Ogltree in the first round if he is there because he could play both ILB and OLB at this level so he would fill the whole of whoever we lost either Kruger or Ellerbe because more than likley were not going to get both back And no he is no were near are best defender.... Webb,Nagta,Suggs,Reed, and others
[/quote]

Ellerbe does have speed, I don't know where you think he is slow. Ellerbe was our best coverage LB, they didn't go at him very often. They might have went at McClain and Ray a lot, but not Ellerbe. I would like to have him, him and Ellerbe in the Middle would be awesome. We don't need him to replace Kruger, that is what we drafted Upshaw for, and upshaw had a good year this season. Ellerbe was our best defender, Suggs had 2 sacks in 9 games, Ngata was not nearly as dominate cause he was hurt, Webb played 6 games, and Reed missed more tackles than he made. Ellerbe was 2nd on the team in tackles, had 4.5 sacks, and did this while he was hurt. Like i said, I don't know what games you were watching. Our defense was much better with him on the field.

I'd rather sign Ellerbe than any name on this list. Then we could better use our draft pick for a Safety. I'd feel better with Ellerbe, McClain, Bynes, and Ayanbadejo splitting time in the middle of the defense than I would about throwing Christian Thompson in at Ed Reed's spot.

With the money the Ravens have under the cap limit they probably wont be able to pay Ellerbe. Don't get too attached to the idea of having Ellerbe back next year because it probably wont happen. There are plenty of other options especially with the draft coming up.

I wouldnt mind Maualuga, it seems like our team straightens players out that have off-field issues and as said above, hes a hard hitter just as Sugar Ray was (still hurts to say "was instead of "is")

If we cant retain Ellerbe then I would say sign Maualuga in addition to drafting a ILB. Out of all the linebackers mentioned above, Maualuga is the most promising. One of the main reasons why he has had issues on and off the field is because Cincy has no true leadership and high standards on that team. Pair Maualuga with Teo along with McClain and I think we could have a very formidable ILB group.

why would they list LBs we already have had in our locker before, referring to Bart Scott and Tavares Gooden. We need solid talent and more importantly Youth!