Ravens at Steelers      Game Rewind      Pro Bowl Voting   

Photo

How do we like Gino Gradkowski as our starting center?

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:48 AM

Matt Birk has been great during his time in Baltimore, and it is sad to see him finally hang em up. However we drafted Gino Gradkowski to step in as his potential successor, but I think this will be a competition to watch during training camp....so would you feel comfortable with Gradkowski as our starter or would you want more talent at the position to add wood to the fire?

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#2 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

Matt Birk has been great during his time in Baltimore, and it is sad to see him finally hang em up. However we drafted Gino Gradkowski to step in as his potential successor, but I think this will be a competition to watch during training camp....so would you feel comfortable with Gradkowski as our starter or would you want more talent at the position to add wood to the fire?

He filled in some during the season and did well. I wanted him to have a year behind Birk to hopefully learn a thing or two before he was a full-time starter. Given limited playing time, it's hard to make an informed determination at this point in time. I believe he'll do well though.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

#3 T-ray

T-ray

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,338 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'd like to see some competition brought in. Not a top-flight center of course, but a veteran acquisition who is cabable of making Gino give his all to win that spot. Besides, we at the very least need depth in case he gets hurt, so why not bring in some competition??
Mount Ravensmore, 2013 version: Matt Elam, Arthur Brown, and Brandon Williams.

#4 Ravenslifer

Ravenslifer

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:01 PM

He looked very good filling in for Birk in Cincy - I'm pretty comfortable with him anchoring the line, with Yanda and KO as the guards. He's smart, definitely stronger and more athletic than Birk is at this point in his career, and I think we have a good coaching staff in place that will give him the knowledge he needs to get better.

#5 ravensfan2430

ravensfan2430

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'll tell you after week 5
GO Ravens!!

#6 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

I'm surprisingly 90.8235684 % comfortable with it. We really need good depth behind him though.

Edited by Ravens<3, 22 February 2013 - 12:04 PM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#7 PurpleCityLights

PurpleCityLights

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:11 PM

Gino is a small dude compared to other centers in theNFL......we might have some problems.

#8 Ed_Reed20

Ed_Reed20

Crenshaw Pete

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,750 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:13 PM

Gino is a small dude compared to other centers in theNFL......we might have some problems.

You don't need mammoth centers in a zone running scheme. It's not as if he can't add bulk to his frame in the off-season either.

Edited by Ed_Reed20, 22 February 2013 - 12:14 PM.

"...when Sean Taylor is in the neighborhood, you will feel him." - Al Michaels

Posted Image

ER20 takes off and then gets distracted by a debate going on...

#9 Ravenseconbeast

Ravenseconbeast

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,757 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:16 PM

I'll tell you after week 5

same here :D

#10 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

I'm anxious but I have faith that our coaches will have him well prepared by the time the regular season rolls around. He has a lot of growing up to do. He has a huge responsibility in keeping that pocket clean so our franchise quarterback can step up and throw the long bomb to Jacoby and Torrey.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#11 bMore Heathen

bMore Heathen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

Gradkowski is only an inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter then Birk. I don't think that should be a huge issue...

#12 rmw10

rmw10

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,779 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:24 PM

Gradkowski is only an inch shorter and 10 lbs lighter then Birk. I don't think that should be a huge issue...

And that is most likely preseason measurements. I know the focus this year was to get Gino in the weight room, so I'm sure he bulked up a bit over the course of the season.

#13 ravens88

ravens88

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

he looked good against cincy but i dont think anyone will know till werer halfway through preseason or into the reg season.

#14 RavensAllTheWay

RavensAllTheWay

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

All I'm going to say about Gino right now is if he pans out, our 12 draft class will only be that much better.

#15 BloodRaven

BloodRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:00 PM

Size doesn't matter as much as the tape, if I hadn't seen him play I'd be worried too but he's explosive and strong.

#16 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

All I'm going to say about Gino right now is if he pans out, our 12 draft class will only be that much better.

Agreed. Upshaw,Osemele,Pierce,Gradkowski ..... Alot of the picks in 2012 were picked on the fly as well!

DeCosta said the Ravens had to “manufacture some runs” this year during the draft, as they were forced to shift on the fly more often than in the past. “We had some guys we liked and they got picked,” he said.

Edited by Ravens<3, 22 February 2013 - 01:13 PM.

2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#17 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Yea, plus if it makes anyone feel any better Gino is listed as an inch taller and 5 pounds heavier the Jeff Saturday. I know a lot of talk is about how much the Ravens offense will now resemble the Colts offense with Peyton and Caldwell, so that's something similar, a smaller center.

I think Gino will do well, but like others have said only time will tell. I really like our interior line.

The thing I think will be interesting is that Birk made a majority if not all of the line calls. Now with Gino, will it be Flacco's job to the set the line and call out defensive alignments? If that's the case, how much of the offense will Flacco now control from the LOS? This could be a move that brings out even more in Flacco, and showcase his ability to run the offense. Which we actually saw in the playoffs.

mj5v69.jpg

#18 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,812 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

Gino will be great, but we probably need to sign a veteran to at least be a back-up.

@gabefergy

#19 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,997 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

Agreed. Upshaw,Osemele,Pierce,Gradkowski ..... Alot of the picks in 2012 were picked on the fly as well!

Yea I guess to that we say thanks to the teams picking around us. Even though undrafted, we can add Justin Tucker to that list and if either one or both Streeter and/or Thompson pans out....wow

mj5v69.jpg

#20 ravensdfan

ravensdfan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,961 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

Gino will be great, but we probably need to sign a veteran to at least be a back-up.

Yeah, I think we definitely would be better served with a veteran back-up for insurance. Right now, I have faith Gino will do well though.

Joe flacco picked up a fumbled ball off the ground like he just dropped the newspaper on the sidewalk by accident and flung it across the street square into the neighbor's open mailbox while being attacked by pit bulls on steroids - a Panther's fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users