Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Draft Loaded With Talented Defensive Tackles

50 posts in this topic

The Ravens want to improve the middle of their defense, and this year’s draft is stacked in that area.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Draft-Loaded-With-Talented-Defensive-Tackles/67a048ca-5d2c-4a59-a9e1-68b5871365bd]View the full article[/url]

I agree that Cody needs to be Challenged if not replaced. I recognize only a few of these names being tossed around. This is where the magic of the Wizard of OZZ comes into play. Stepping up our run defence is an absolute must.

Get one! IMO, the Ravens need a nose tackle - someone who may not offer much of a pass rush but can occupy a couple of blockers and most importantly stand their ground - Cody and Kemoeatu were getting blown off the ball. Haloti's great but he can't do it all on his own, especially battling injuries.

Kemo and Cody should not be on the team. One had a mediocre season and the other worse. I do not see either of these guys playing to the caliber we have come to know as the Ravens D. I am hoping we get Williams with the first pick but Minter is not a bad alternative. I do have to say I have never been a fan of moving up in the draft as we always find great talent in later rounds but Alec Ogletree does seem like a very reason to this year.

Trade our second and one of our extra picks (compensatory) and maybe we can nab Kevin Minter and Jesse Williams

I agree. Cody, Kemo, they did not play like Ravens this year. I don't usually advocate ditching players but watching those two play this year was especially painful and disappointing. On to the next one...

T-Phizzle as much as I would to nab both Williams and Minter its not gonna happen... If we can land one of those guys I would be excited! Plus you cant trade compensatory picks...

Short is a BEAST! If you got a chance to watch the Senior Bowl, you saw for yourself the dude was everywhere!!! wouldn't be mad at that pick either...

Ozzie loves bama boys and I would love to have Jesse Williams in a raven uniform. I don't think Ngata would get so many injuries if he had help . Cody has had many chances kemo is old we need younger stronger players. I like minter too but we have some good options right on the squad plus this years draft is deep at linebacker very good value to be had in later rounds .

Trade out of 1st round and get more picks. Needs are DT,Safety, Center, LT and WR in order of importance in IMHO. Hoping A.Hamilton is the answer at ILB. Haven't seen him much but this will be the first year he goes through training camp.

I have been looking for Kevin Minter's highlight reel but have not been able to find it. I guess he's gotta be really good cuz everyone is talking about him. If someone has a link please share. On the other hand, Alec Ogletree is in deed a beast, and like the previous poster wrote it might be a good idea to move up to snatch this guy. The FS Reid is also pretty good.

I can't see any upside in scratching Cody going into his 4th year. Ditching him now makes a bad situation worse. Like Kiper said, "if you need nose tackles, you've got it all covered... in this year's draft." I think Ozzie and Decosta find their guy in the later rounds and I think Pees and Harbs will coach up Cody. Harbs says he likes competition at positions...there should be a lot of it at the DT position this year.

I disagree with need of a center. Wer just drafted one that has been mentored by Birk. He deserves a shot before we even think about going another direction. That being said we still have yet to see if Birk will be back next year (my guess would be no).

If he's still available when our pick comes up at the end of the first round, I'm a little bias but I would love to see them draft the explosive hometown kid Tavon Austin.

[quote name='T-Phizzle' timestamp='1361465382' post='1364014']
Trade our second and one of our extra picks (compensatory) and maybe we can nab Kevin Minter and Jesse Williams
[/quote]You can't trade comp picks...

[quote name='Baltimoreswag32' timestamp='1361468761' post='1364061']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybIpxUVefo[/media] kevin minter game vs florida. two sacks and a forced fumble.
[/quote]He has some pretty ugly missed tackles in this game.

didn't we just draft a center I haven't even seen him play yet I don't think beyond preseason ? Cody needs replaced or ngata will never be healthy he can only do so much. I never see many people mention the linebackers we already have . taking one in the first seems out of character for the ravens.

Defensively this is our biggest need besides ILB, If we can find a good run stuffer, and someone who eats up blocks, that will help our defense a ton!!

[quote name='Ravensfan4life2010' timestamp='1361468296' post='1364056']
we are about to cut MT. Cody get rid of dead big weight
[/quote]

Ravens don't generally cut their draft picks (think Sergio). He'll have the offseason to lose abt 30lbs and add some muscle. If he doesn't do that he'll fail in his comp for the job, languish in Harb's doghouse this season and be let go at the end of his rookie contract.

we should never draft players named Cody. They dont work for us LOL. I would keep Make over him so we can keep a vetern presence. And Add a Rookie that can start right away. We dont need to go MLB that early. We should GO DT, then DE, then FS, then MLB the OLB

Kevi Minter in the 1st. round and Kawann Shot in the 2nd. I would love it if that could happen, I don't think Jesse Williams is that good I would rather see Kawann Short be drafted and see some snaps from Omar Brown and Adrian Hamilton and I think our defense should be ok, espacially if Ellerbe, Kruger and Reed could be re-signed.

Cody is lazy. How can you let someone almost 10 years your senior beat you out of job on the field. The only reason the Ravens don't cut him now is his cap number. If they get a DT in the first or second round, I think Cody is toast by camp time.

[quote name='Blacknpurpletilldeath' timestamp='1361480559' post='1364286']
Anyone else hear about Jesse Williams benching..... 600 LB.S!!!!!!
[/quote]

[url="http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/07/tide_dl_jesse_williams_stirs_u.html"]http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/07/tide_dl_jesse_williams_stirs_u.html[/url]

You talking about this? Man he is a beast!

[quote name='YankeeRaven' timestamp='1361482939' post='1364307']
espacially if Ellerbe, Kruger and Reed could be re-signed.
[/quote]

That is a big if. I don't see all three of them possibly getting signed. Sadly Kruger will command to much money for us to keep unless drastic changes are made.

I think the Ravens will trade out of the 1st round. Too much depth at DT to spend a 1st. Also, Cody might make Ozzie (although Ozzie played for Alabama) a little leary the fit for an Alaabma DT despite the fact that 'Bama (I believe) runs a base 3-4.

As a fellow Aussie, I would love to see Jesse Williams end up with the Ravens. I suspect it would help promote the teame down here even more than the Superbowl win has. There was plenty of press here when 'Bama beat ND a few weeks back, almost all of it about him. Just imagine what the reaction would be when he gets signed by an NFL team...

Of course, I just want him to fit into the team well and help the Ravens to a third Superbowl!

One other thing with Williams, I recall reading that he used to get thrown into the 'Bama O-line when they were a yard or two from the in goal. With the amount he can press, I can see the Ravens using him in a similar manner. Just get him to open a hole on the line, followed by Leech to clear the gap even further. Ray Rice should easily be able to stroll through with those two doing that kind of work.

Jesse Williams is pure strength. I heard he benched 600 pounds in the Bama weight room. Thats a center and a guard, one with each arm.

Sounds good to me.

Hear me out on this one.

Although I would love to see us pick Jesse Williams and he is a phenomenal football player, the ravens will most likely not draft a DT first round because this draft is loaded with great DTs. Although we draft best overall, we will have our selection of DTs when we pick at 32. If the Front office is sure that we want a DT and can get our desired guy in the early second round, we will trade back. There's a lot of value to a DT, especially if we can get Ellerbe signed, but I just don't see it happening this early. I would love Jesse Williams early second round though!

last chance for Cody,he has his ring if he doesn't pick his game up,he wouldn't be here for very much longer,and I don't think he has much trade value,so for him it's put up or shut up!

ps: as for Ngata he has needed help for some times now,if just to give him rest and keep him fresh,I also think with more help he could become a better pass rusher,we saw that happen when McPhee and/or Kruger or one of the other defensive teammates brought pressure teams couldn't double team him as much and if they did then that opened up an opportunity for someone else,with more pressure from other teammates double teams on Ngata become less effective!

I agree cody has been a disapointment, Ngata is awsome, I love watching that big guy chasing down QB's, but he does need some help in the middle to stop the run. The two names I'm hearing alot is Jesse Williams and Ogletree, I'm not that familiar with them but it sounds like the Ravens Nation is on top of it. I'll just have to trust in the wizard of Ozz.

"DeCosta says this is a %u201Cstrong draft%u201D and indicates that the Ravens will consider taking a defensive tackle in the first two rounds. [The Baltimore Sun]"

Predicting what position they'll take in the 1st round is basically impossible with this team because 1) they pick last and 2) they generally pick best-player-available. Last year they wanted Hightower, but when he got snagged by Belichek they saw that moving back made the most sense, to get Upshaw. They didn't just go out and get the next best ILB, they picked the guy with the best value.

So if a great value falls to them at 32nd... they're gonna take it, and if there are multiple guys of great value at that spot (probably not, but you never know), they'll let need influence their pick a little bit. And, as we've seen several times, if they see the perfect guy falling back, they'll move up to get him (Oher, Flacco, Pierce in the 2nd rd last year).