Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Late For Work 2/21: Contract Talks To Heat Up At Combine

79 posts in this topic

Steelers’ LeBeau says they could have won title, Lewis to ESPN, Kemo wants to keep playing.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Late-For-Work-221-Contract-Talks-To-Heat-Up-At-Combine/31653d56-9847-4bce-b171-a1f3e060fc22]View the full article[/url]

Finally pay Joe so we can move forward . as for Dick Le Beau,retirement can be a wonderful thing i could say more but why bother. we are super bowl championships and your not !!! Can we at least try to keep Ellerbe in a ravens uniform next year.

RE: Lewis Hire to ESPN...it might be a moot point given that they hired him, but ESPN shouldn't be acting like every last personality they have on air is squeaky clean. I've seen story of inappropriate behavior 1 story after another several times.

%u201CCan I say with a certain amount of credence we can compete with Baltimore day-in and day-out? I know it and I can say it,%u201D LeBeau said. %u201CWe didn't have Ben in either one of those games. I know we're a better team with Ben because he's a great player.%u201D

The Steelers lost three of their final four games once Roethlisberger returned from injury.

All I know is that the Steelers are on downward spiral, Ben is getting older and injured more frequently - Lebeau did you know that last stat??? You lost 3 of your last 4 even with Ben in...

Oh yeah, you could have but YOU DID NOT LEBEAU - STEELERS SUCK!!!!

A question about the franchise tag: we all know there are two types of franchise tags: the exclusive type (more expensive but assures the player stays) and the non-exclusive type (cheaper but leaves a door open for other teams to lure the player away - although it never really happens in real life). My question: if a player receives the tag, can the type of the tag be changed during the period the player has the tag without ever officially removing the tag first - or can the tag type be opnly modified by first removing the tag and then assigning the other type?

Here's why I'm asking this: since the extra sum the exclusive tag means over the "normal" tag only applies later in the off season, it makes all the sense to give Flacco the exclusive type tag - especially if the FO believes the deal gets done by the start of the season, so Flacco won't have to play under the tag. But, if, despite all their hopes, the deal doesn't get done, it means Flacco would have to play under the more expensive tag. Being able to switch between the tag types instantly would eliminate that risk...

bio

Aside from injuries on both teams, another difference btw. the Steelers and Ravens this past year: the Ravens offense tuned their game up a whole lot. Ask Eli Manning.

"[i]Ravens have three candidates for contract restructuring. [NFL.com][/i]"

Incorrect. The correct wording would be: "[i]nfl.com thinks there are 3 candidates for contract restructuring for the Ravens[/i]."

It's their scenarios, not the franchise's.

bio

[quote name='TheRavengers' timestamp='1361458871' post='1363906']
Aside from injuries on both teams, another difference btw. the Steelers and Ravens this past year: the Ravens offense tuned their game up a whole lot. Ask Eli Manning.
[/quote]

True - but I guess Eli could tell even more entertaining stories about the Ravens D ;)

bio

[quote name='Joe Flacco is #1' timestamp='1361458802' post='1363904']
Get used to it steelers XD
[/quote]

Yeah - the way it looks right now, next season they will definitely be weaker than the Bengals - and in all likelihood. probably weaker than us, too.

The only real promising thing for them right now is that they have a pretty good draft position - in the middle of the draft order.

bio

Man, that girl on Torrey's photo... I mean visibly wearing a Ravens-scarf in Pittsburgh?

Some brave woman that is - and she's even a beauty :)

"[i]The Baltimore Ravens. Bringing beauty right to your doorstep![/i]" :)

bio

[quote name='Schoel' timestamp='1361459249' post='1363912']
I just loved the vid with all of Jacobys moves
[/quote]

It was his season for multiple reasons. I guess he didn't regret finally deciding on Baltimore instead of the Panthers (or was it the Jags?)...

The Ravens nation certainly didn't regret it :D

bio

Big bad Ben Roethlisberger has been getting banged up season after season in recent years. Joe Flacco has never missed a game.

Hey Dick. Difference between the Ravens and Steelers with regard to injuries is that the Ravens didn't completely collapse due to injuries. The amount of injuries were similar; the reaction to them was polar opposite.

"You lose! Good day, sir!"

-Willy Wonka

I love Ellerbe but hes not an elite ILB...yet.I argued with some 49er fans that he was on Willis' level during sb week because of his stats this year but that was just to get under their skin lol.Why is it that all of our players pull this im elite bs when their contract is up?I never see any other teams players do that.This is our 5th player in the past 2 years to pull the "im the best at my position" card.

The Steelers could have won if not for injuries. I thought coaches didn't make excuses?
The Ravens only had half their defense playing ALL season. Ray Lewis missed 10 games. Suggs missed 6 and played on 1 leg and with 1 arm. Ellerbee missed time and played with no thumbs. One of the best CB in the etire leauge did not play the Ravens final 14 games. Pollard played with 6 broken ribs. LD McClain missed the last part of the season and playoffs. Through it all we won the Super Bowl. No excused. Next man up. That is the Ravens Motto. The Steelers Motto is well we could have won but we had guys hurt. When Ben came back they stunk. So what is that excuse?

Give it a rest Lebeau, you senile old fool !
Squeelers sucked, We gave them that second game more than they beat us, we beat ourselves.
I wouldn't be suprised if the go 8 & 8 again this year.

[quote name='HomeoftheBRAVENS' timestamp='1361459738' post='1363921']
Why is it that all of our players pull this im elite bs when their contract is up?I never see any other teams players do that.This is our 5th player in the past 2 years to pull the "im the best at my position" card.
[/quote] I see your point; but Ellerbe didn't say those things, his agent did. I think :/

We had the same ,if not worse injury situation they did and like many teams do going into the second half of a season. It's No Excuse!

@metalraven - nicely said. Lebeau sounds like a grumpy old man (grandpa simpson) who can't seem to remember the facts of the season.

Dick - For you to even say something like that, you have to beat the Bengals, when you have Ben available and the playoffs on the line. The fact is no, your team couldn't have done what the Ravens did, but they stunk so bad they couldn't make the playoffs!!!

If, ands, should'ves, Could'ves, buts. I get it when players are salty and cry about certain situations, but a "legendary" coach making excuses for not winning? That's just Steelers for ya. No class. Just excuses, crying, and complaining. I don't care if we don't make the playoffs ever again, just beat the Steelers twice every season. Just typing "Steelers" puts a nauseous feeling into my stomach.

Let's also not forget, The Squeelers had a home game and lost to the Ravens, There next game was at Browns, WOW lots of travel there. Ravens went to San Diego. Then met back in Baltimore the very next week. GEE, that's a fair schedule. That looks like advantage Squeelers to me.

Dear Dick LeBeau, your team can't win the Superbowl every year, and you can't solely blame injuries for team woes when other teams (not just the Ravens) have had injuries too and at least made the playoffs. Let's not forget that at least the Ravens managed to sweep the Browns.

Okay, Jacoby Jones won Dancing with the Starters, he better get a call for Dancing with the Stars here soon. I've never watched that show but I'm positive that he could win it.

Cut McClain, Cody, Kemo and Bobbie Williams. Theres enough money for Ellerbe, then draft someone to play next to him. Hopefully Birk walks away and frees up some more cap space, which would only make things easier.

Ellerbe is a heck of a ball player and tough as nails for hanging in there this season, but, is it really a good idea to give a large contract to a player who has had so many injury issues? Personally, I saw the McClain deal as a bit preemptive and a little much for a guy who is primarily an early down LB because of his struggles in coverage. If things don't work out with resigning Ellerbe I would like to see if the Ravens could get a shot at Vilma. What's up with Cody?? I was looking forward to him blowing up this season, but, in 3 starts he made 2 tackles...what? I'm hoping someone pops up after teams make their cuts...maybe Mike Patterson from philly for a bit of competition. Just for the record, Oher is a RT and should be paid like one. The Blindside movie does not need to be some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy and football decisions should be made by looking at who shows up on the field. Oher is a Pro Bowl RT and a Toilet Bowl LT. Without a doubt, the Ravens will have to pick up a LT if McKinnie doesn't return and some of our young guys don't make some major progress this offseason. I truly hope the mistake of signing C.Williams doesn't happen, although the Ravens have a track record of signing corners after just a few big plays without looking at their overall performance. Ex. Foxworth, Carr, Ivy. With the depth our young guys/freeagents have provided I don't see the need to retain Williams because his few picks(when you're a target there is more opportunity) don't justify the number of first downs he gave up. Thank the good Lord he turned down the contract this past offseason. I know this probably won't happen but it would be cool to see if Webb could make the shift to FS. His insticts, hands and speed would be a great fit next to BP as the centerfielder.