Ravens Schedule Coming Today!

The Ravens will announce their 2014 regular season schedule today at 8:00 pm ET. More Info »
Close

Photo

PS4/Xbox One Discussion

• Please log in to reply
424 replies to this topic

#1 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,925 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:47 PM

Earlier today Sony announced the next gaming console, the PS4. With a release date of November 2013, the PS4 will sure to be a hit with gamers for the holiday season. Some details include...

PlayStation 4 is centered on all of you – the gamers. It redefines rich and immersive gameplay with powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalization, deeply integrated social capabilities, and innovative second-screen features. When we designed PlayStation 4, we focused on building an architecture that will allow the greatest game developers in the industry to push boundaries and dig deep within their imaginations to create the most immersive and unique games for you to enjoy.

With PlayStation 4 we also want you to access your games quicker than ever before. PS4’s “suspend mode” eliminates the load time on your saved game and allows you to immediately return to where you left off by pressing the power button. PlayStation 4’s background downloading and updating capability also allows you to immediately play digital titles as they download, or update the system when the hardware is powered off.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the PS4 but what I'm worried about is the price of games. When the PS3 came out, the games jumped up in price from $40 to $60. I can't imagine paying $70-$80 per game for people to get the games they want.

http://blog.us.plays...-playstation-4/

More Links:

http://blog.us.plays...daries-of-play/

http://blog.us.plays...things-to-come/

#2 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,731 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:06 AM

Earlier today Sony announced the next gaming console, the PS4. With a release date of November 2013, the PS4 will sure to be a hit with gamers for the holiday season. Some details include...

Personally, I'm looking forward to the PS4 but what I'm worried about is the price of games. When the PS3 came out, the games jumped up in price from $40 to $60. I can't imagine paying $70-$80 per game for people to get the games they want.

http://blog.us.plays...-playstation-4/

More Links:

http://blog.us.plays...daries-of-play/

http://blog.us.plays...things-to-come/

Sounds neat but will it play PS3 games? Also will it require new accessories? (controllers and whatnot)
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#3 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,925 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

Sounds neat but will it play PS3 games? Also will it require new accessories? (controllers and whatnot)

Yes indeed. Click the first link under 'More Links' and it tells you all about the new PS4 Controller.

#4 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:01 AM

The cost of games is certainly something to think about. The cost of the console is too, but I haven't read the links yet so maybe it's there.

However, I am one of those people that Sony hates waits for the price to down and/or buys used games so my concern is the amont of time I'll have to wait.

EdReedTrain.png

#5 T3hRaven

T3hRaven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,377 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 04:21 AM

I got emails about this like a month in advance. RSVP to know first from Sony or something, like we all didn't know what was coming. Least surprising announcement ever.

#6 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,181 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:32 AM

I want to see the demo of PS4 games before thinking about spending ludicrous amount of money.
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#7 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

I love that they have promised another Final Fantasy game just like they did with FF Versus XII when the ps3 came out. If any of you aren't in the know, they announced that game back in 06' when the last playstation was released and the game still hasn't come out.

EdReedTrain.png

#8 JO_75

JO_75

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,925 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

The cost of games is certainly something to think about. The cost of the console is too, but I haven't read the links yet so maybe it's there.

However, I am one of those people that Sony hates waits for the price to down and/or buys used games so my concern is the amont of time I'll have to wait.

Problem. The new consoles, including the new Xbox may not give you the ability to play Used Games. They didn't announce anything about it yesterday so either the rumor of the new systems rendering used games useless were false or it will be announced at a later date.

#9 berad

berad

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,089 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:59 AM

Problem. The new consoles, including the new Xbox may not give you the ability to play Used Games. They didn't announce anything about it yesterday so either the rumor of the new systems rendering used games useless were false or it will be announced at a later date.

I think they'll just make you buy those stupid online passes like a lot of games do already. EASY way for them to make money with no legitimate reason.

I also hate how everything is being tied to social media. I don't want facebook/twitter/etc connected to my gaming. I hope there's a way where this is not required.
Posted Image

"Bring it. They want physical. They want to run against us. You know we'll be there."

#10 Corvus

Corvus

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 12:18 PM

There are several cool new features here. I especially like the fact that you can recharge controllers when the console is "standing by." Reportedly you will also be able to still play your games offline, contrary to reports I've seen regarding the new XBox and the cloud streaming for games has a lot of potential. Also really like the fact that updates and downloads can be done seamlessly in the background now while doing other tasks, as opposed to some current PS3 updates. From a hardware perspective, the specs definitely indicate a pretty darn powerful console.

That said, I'm getting tired of the pandering to the mobile "gamer" crowd. I completely understand why they are putting so much emphasis on "social aspects" of the console, they are a corporation operating in a capitalist economy so I don't blame them. But I will be severely disappointed if I pick one up and find they could have improved on a gaming aspect of the console when they were focusing on being able to connect to Facebook or whatever. Again, I understand trying to cover as many bases as possible to broaden your consumer base. But Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo need to understand there is a miniscule amount of people who consider themselves console/pc gamers but also thrive in the iOS and Android markets. You'll have dedicated gamers who may throw on some Angry Birds while at the DMV or something, but very few go "gaga" over that type of game. Meanwhile, very few serious tablet/phone gamers are going to feel comfortable plopping down $500 for a new console (despite them doing just that for an IPad).

Lastly, Sony would absolutely destroy Microsoft and Nintendo in launch sales this this holiday season if they would just do backwards compatibility with PS3 titles at least. If I could still use my PS3 library while accessing the PS4's new features, I would likely buy one at launch. As it is now, I'll wait until after the holiday season to pick one up in the first half of '14 probably. I know I am not the only PS3 owner who feels the same way.

Still, a lot of promising stuff was revealed yesterday, I just can't help but feel slightly alienated by the massive focus on "social interaction." All I care about are what titles your developers are working on and how well your device can present said titles to me. Everything else is either a nice extra or something I have absolutely zero interest in.

Edited by Corvus, 21 February 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#11 Cville-Raven

Cville-Raven

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

Looks cool, I'll also be getting a 720 whenever that comes out

0cf3ccf6-b431-48bd-a2a0-73b6e0108bc3_zps

#12 darklight1216

darklight1216

Sith Lord

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,964 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:55 PM

Yeah, those rumors have not escaped me. If that's what they do then I will simply not buy the ps4. I can spend my 8,000 dollars and firstborn child elsewhere.

EdReedTrain.png

#13 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:56 PM

No backwards compatibility with physical PS3 discs or with PSN purchases (you can only go back and play PS1-3 games through their streaming services that they will have available which will most likely cost). Also, the only PS3 controller that works with the PS4 is the Playstation Move. The Dualshock 3 is not compatible.

I'm with some of you guys. The social features sound good but in the end will grow to be something that people will rarely use. The feature that allows your friend to play your game for you was literally the most pointless feature I've seen in awhile. Why would I want someone to complete a part on a game for me? Only the hardcore will use the streaming and recording services and I'm sorry but I'm still going to use my tablet or smartphone for Twitter and FB. I hope the console companies get back to gaming soon.

I was excited and I still am but it has went down a bit. The specs indicate that this thing will not be cheap (Shocked at the 8 GBs of GDDR5 memory which is pretty expensive) and the lack of backwards compatibility with PS3 stuff is pretty underwhelming as it could have made the transition much more smoother. I hope they keep the price around the rumored $400-$450 range but I doubt it really. Sony needs to price this competitively or it will be a repeat of the PS3.

I can't wait for Microsoft to reveal their console. I just have a feeling they're going to impress.

Edited by EnVy_CaLiBeR, 21 February 2013 - 10:57 PM.

"All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.."-- EAP

Posted Image

#14 BmoreRav

BmoreRav

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:26 AM

The used games situation was addressed during a sit down with Eurogamer. Sony won't be blocking them contrary to previous reports...

http://www.eurogamer...lock-used-games

Posted Image

#15 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:31 AM

The used games situation was addressed during a sit down with Eurogamer. Sony won't be blocking them contrary to previous reports...

http://www.eurogamer...lock-used-games

Apparently, there's more to it. They'll have more to discuss regarding used games later this year.

"We are just now announcing the basic vision and strategy of PS4 and will have more information to share regarding used games later this year. But PlayStation has a long history of keeping its gamers happy and we won't make decisions that damage our relationship with them."

http://www.gameinfor...game-sales.aspx

There's a good chance that there's a catch.

Posted Image

#16 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

Yep. There is indeed a catch. The Sony Worldwide Studios boss says it's the publisher's decision.

"Gamespot asked Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida in a quickfire Q&A not if PS4 would block used games but whether second hand games will require an activation code on the console.
His answer: “It's a publisher decision. We are not talking about it. Sorry.”

http://www.mcvuk.com...ecision/0111344

What he means by this is unknown but the fact that generally all publishers are against used games means that there is a chance we can see some blockage in used games or more security in preventing them from being played on the system. Even though we don't know exactly how this will work, the fact that he was elusive about the subject raises alarms that there is indeed more in store for the issue.

Edited by EnVy_CaLiBeR, 22 February 2013 - 10:26 AM.

Posted Image

#17 theFRANCHISE

theFRANCHISE

Hall of Famer

• Reserve Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,115 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

I'll probably cave and end up buying it, but I'd prefer the price to be no more than $400. If they aggressively price at $350 or even (unrealistically) $300, they'll easily get a boost from the holiday season from casual shoppers.

I was underwhelmed by the announcement. I'll only get the console for exclusives; PC and now the 3DS are still my primary gaming devices even though I own a PS3 and Xbox 360.

Good news is, Sony says they won't price most games above $60.

Posted Image

#18 CosmicRedPanda

CosmicRedPanda

Hoosier Daddy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,626 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

No thanks.

Until the flow of PS3 games comes to a halt, I see no reason to invest in a new system at this juncture. Not to mention, all the talk of them doing away with pre-owned copies.

#19 EnVy_CaLiBeR

EnVy_CaLiBeR

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

I'll probably cave and end up buying it, but I'd prefer the price to be no more than $400. If they aggressively price at $350 or even (unrealistically) $300, they'll easily get a boost from the holiday season from casual shoppers.

I was underwhelmed by the announcement. I'll only get the console for exclusives; PC and now the 3DS are still my primary gaming devices even though I own a PS3 and Xbox 360.

Good news is, Sony says they won't price most games above $60.

Man the 3DS has sooo many games coming. I got mine a month ago.

Edited by EnVy_CaLiBeR, 22 February 2013 - 05:05 PM.

Posted Image

#20 bauer77

bauer77

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:43 PM

I saw on twitter on the 20th, that they aren't blocking used games. This may or may not be true, so don't hold me to this. But all i remember is it saying "GameStop employees can breath a sigh of relief, Sony isn't blocking used games."

nb4yyq.jpg
If tomorrow wasn't promised, what would you give for today? - Ray Lewis
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users