Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Who's Out There? Offensive Tackles

58 posts in this topic

The Ravens could use the free agent market as a place to find some depth at offensive tackle.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Whos-Out-There-Offensive-Tackles/df0fd3c8-5336-4e44-8462-68ef5d2cb351]View the full article[/url]

for the love of football do not put oher back on the left side . resign mckinnie if it ain't broke don't try to fix it . I am sure he got the message about staying in shape etc ....

Why even bother naming any of these guys? We cant afford any of them except possibly Winston Justice. He might come to the Ravens becuz he would know Castillo (our new line coach)
We need to resign McKinnie with weight and workout provisions.

[quote name='sami' timestamp='1361384539' post='1363192']
Why even bother naming any of these guys? We cant afford any of them except possibly Winston Justice. He might come to the Ravens becuz he would know Castillo (our new line coach)
We need to resign McKinnie with weight and workout provisions.
[/quote]
I say Hooray for insightful articles!!

Much better than outlandish speculation and what-if scenarios of Flacco signing with Miami or Ray Rice getting traded to Cincinnati because Bernard played so well down the stretch...

[quote name='runamuk' timestamp='1361384021' post='1363176']
for the love of football do not put oher back on the left side . resign mckinnie if it ain't broke don't try to fix it . I am sure he got the message about staying in shape etc ....
[/quote]Round is a shape!

[quote name='budman' timestamp='1361386522' post='1363213']
Round is a shape!
[/quote]lol very true

We don't need a RT... We have Oher, he has no business playing LT... (Sorry Michael but the truth hurts sometimes...) I agree with you Sami! Don't show us guys we cant afford, show us guys that are hidden gems or players that are underrated.

If they could find money for Jake Long, or Sebastian Vollmer at LT I would get 1 of those 2. As they are 2 of the better LT'S in NFL.

Otherwise, try to resign Mckinnie on the cheap for another year or two for 2-3 mil/yr..
or Draft a LT... middle rounds

I would say Branden Albert as an Option too, but he is Oher 2.0... better run blocker then pass blocker at LT.

It's almost pointless to write the "who's out there" articles. We want Ellerbe, Kruger, Flacco, Reed, Mckinnie, and all of our guys back. If we can't afford to sign them, then we shouldn't be able to sign any other free agent that wasn't a Raven last year. Re-sign as many of our guys as we can, then reload in the draft. Just my opinion.

[quote name='J-man' timestamp='1361388234' post='1363245']
Yea, it's not even worth it noting the big name free agents because we cant afford any of them
[/quote]

Yeah. Many of us had the same complaint last offseason... It's OK that they are free agents - but everyone with the smallest grasp of the cap system and our cap situation knows that almost all of these names are absolutely out of question for us - even if we'd be interested if money was no problem.

bio

[quote name='Ice Kriem' timestamp='1361389373' post='1363264']
Keep McKinnie, draft his replacement....
[/quote]

This is really the only logical conclusion given our cap sitution. Give McKinnie a 1 year extension and shoot for a blue chip LT in the upper rounds of the draft, if there is one. Haven't really read much about eligible tackles.

[quote name='raven410' timestamp='1361389712' post='1363271']
It's almost pointless to write the "who's out there" articles. We want Ellerbe, Kruger, Flacco, Reed, Mckinnie, and all of our guys back. If we can't afford to sign them, then we shouldn't be able to sign any other free agent that wasn't a Raven last year. Re-sign as many of our guys as we can, then reload in the draft. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Absolutely. We won't have any of those big names. Tjhe best we can expect is more of those under-the-radar players, like Jacoby Jones and Corey Graham last season. A great roster has the drawback of small cap space to play with. So, luckily we only have a tiny cap room to manage :)

bio

I like King Dunlap he's big and strong and progressed more and more as the season went on I also think Bushrod would be a good fit but he's probably going to be overpayed somewhere else

On the other hand, I cannot wait to see the WR installment of this "Who's out there" segment. WR is the only really strong UFA position this off season. So, we'll see names like Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings, Wes Welker, Amendola, Brian Hartline... Or the tight end list, with Tony Gonzalez, Dustin Keller, Fred Davis, Jared Cook or Martellus Benett...

And then we1ll see the seas of those fans swarming the site again, blaming Ozzie for missing out on all of these players...

bio

[quote name='Schoel' timestamp='1361388060' post='1363243']
The most of these guys will look for the big cash or are too old.
[/quote]

... or are too old, still looking for big cash :)

bio

1st round we need a DT to stop the run and make teams one dimentional. 2nd round we need to draft a tackle because if we dont bring mckinnie back thatll be a huge hole, oher is just god awful on that side. Then again value is probably the way to go.

I like Dunlap more than anyone else on that list. He's a good sized tackle, he's able to play both sides like Oher, he has experience with Castillo, and he should be pretty cheap. He also replaced the only other viable tackle, Justice, after Justice was injured and ineffective.

The only outside person I see coming to the Ravens is Winston Justice because of our new line coach Juan Castillo, the rest we probably can't afford them so just resign what we have

I concur with raven410 and BioLarzen. Just keep us updated on the possibility of keeping as many of our current players as we can. Thanks