Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] Mock Draft Monitor 1.0

139 posts in this topic

[quote name='crabby' timestamp='1361310174' post='1362389']
We are getting 5 or so extra picks this year to compensate for leaving players. We cant trade them but we could always trade out first round plus our third round to move up and snag whoever ozzy wants. I think we are getting a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th. Ozzy does very well in those rounds. Especially the third.
[/quote]

4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th. unless they gave a 3rd for Grubbs, but I doubt it. and it's 4 compensatory pick i believe

I agree with rmcjacket23, besides, in the more recent drafts the teams in front of us (and right behind us, by trading up)have systematically drafted "against" the Ravens. So I bet that if everybody says we need an ILB, all the worthwhile ones will be gone by the time we pick - I don't see us trading up.

My bold predictions:
- 1st round, we deal down and get Datone Jones
- 2nd, we get Menelik Watson
- 3rd, depending on free-agency, and McClain's health, we get Kevin Reddick or best available player[Gavin Escobar?] or trade down.
Then, in no particular order, 2 defensive backs, one more "hidden gem" DL, and another best available player with the trade-down extra pick.
See why no front office has ever offered me a super-salary?

all are solid choices but i want to know who this daryl blackstock guy is!! hehehe

We find MLB talent from guys like McClain, Ellerbe, Bart Scott who all went undrafted. I think the ONLY way we draft a MLB with our #1 pick is if there is a must-have prospect, or somebody who just stands out from everybody.

I would rather see a DT or a LT in the first round, but because this draft has an abundance of DT talent we can move down in the draft.

I am 100% behind any first pick Ozzie makes. Upshaw was just what we needed after JJ left. If Te'O gets drafted by us than clearly Te'O deserves to be drafted.
However I still think, that with a draft class this deep as the 2013 ILB class, we can get good value in the 3rd and 4th round as well. NT, LT, FS are much bigger areas of need and aren't nearly as deep as the ILB or OLB position in this draft. I'd be fine with an A.J. Klein in the 4th round, if manage to land a Jesse William and DJ Swearinger in the first and second.

If we lose Kruger and Sam Montgomery is still available then he will be a Baltimore Raven. We can only hope but it's doubtful he'll be there at 31.

I think Mock Drafts for us is kinda pointless because there are so many questions F/A wise so anyone picking someone for us is really just a shot in the dark.

I think its a myth that teams (including the Ravens) always draft best player available. Ever notice that the BPA on just about every teams draft board just so happens to be a player who is in somewhat of a position of need for that team?

Lets say hypothetically Eddy Lacey falls down the draft to #32. Do you still believe that if he's the "BPA" on our big board, that we actually draft him? I don't, and I would bet a large sum of money that we wouldn't take him.

The reason people overreact to BPA is because they see teams that "reach" by drafting a player of extreme need full rounds earlier than most teams project them (such as teams like the Dolphins and Vikings drafting 2nd or 3rd round graded QBs in the 1st round). I agree that the Ravens don't do that.

But keep in mind... I would bet a large sum of money that the Ravens big board only contains players that 1. they have a reasonable shot at drafting and 2. fill some sort of position in a short-term or long-term need. The Ravens likely remove certain players at certain positions from their board all together (or at least in the early rounds) because they have no interest in drafting that position, as I would bet the Ravens won't have a first 2 round grade on any QB or RB in this draft, because they won't take one there no matter how good they are.

The BPA is established based on grading positions that the team inherently wants to draft, so while it's a popular draft strategy, it's also inherently a bit of a fallacy.

Also people reading into the Bama game with Teo just stop because it is hard to be a good linebacker when the whole ND dline got bullied around that game when there are guards getting to the second level non stop its really hard to do anything.

We don't need a DT. We have the best DT in the league right now, we just need to put him there. Ngata is a monster at DE in the 3-4 system, but if we put him in the middle DT and put Jones and McPhee at DE around him, I really don't see any team running up the middle on us. IMO, our top draft needs are ILB, FS, and LT. I know, Ozzie drafts the best player available, which has been great, but that is just my opinion.

@rmcjacket23, I agree, I think they have more than a list of guys who they think will still be around, I'm sure they have a wish list also ( guys they hope are still around).

[quote name='bigdaddycompton' timestamp='1361314225' post='1362444']
We don't need a DT. We have the best DT in the league right now, we just need to put him there. Ngata is a monster at DE in the 3-4 system, but if we put him in the middle DT and put Jones and McPhee at DE around him, I really don't see any team running up the middle on us. IMO, our top draft needs are ILB, FS, and LT. I know, Ozzie drafts the best player available, which has been great, but that is just my opinion.
[/quote]

McPhee is gonna shine next year. Can't wait (and no that doesnt mean im insinuating anything about Bart Scott).

I'll be honest, I don't want Te'o. And I'll be the first to admit, it has nothing to do with his play, I don't like his attitude about himself. If he thinks he can get away with lying big time to give his team an edge and continues to lie about it regularly to this day, I don't want him on my (our) team. If he does, then I hope he gets his act together. Haters gunna hate, but I also don't want to be known as the team that had a linebacker who will be forever known as a murderer (though I admit it's possible, I don't think he did) and now a linebacker that will forever be known for having a a girlfiend. Although I trust Oz, it's going to be a strong draft for us this year I'm feelin it.

I'm affraid Te'o, Minter and Williams are all just wishful thinking. They are too good to slip all the way down to our pick. We'll trade-out of first round unless a miracle happens.

No doubt Ozzie has a board sorted out, taking into account how will we fare in free agency deals this year.

I believe if T'eo drops to 32 it would be a steal even if he doesn't start right away he would make for great depth at the ILB position people just need to realize that he broke no rules and had really 1 bad game that you can give fault to the whole ND team

[quote name='charliebucket' timestamp='1361304439' post='1362297']
There is no name calling. Thinking Te'o isn't a good player because of ONE GAME and the whole girlfriend thing is idiotic. Its not name calling its a simple fact.
[/quote]dude you quoted the wrong person i never said te'o isn't a good player, and i also never said anything about anyone's gf. i'm here to talk football. its kinda weird to quote the wrong person and credit them with things they never said . maybe next time quote the right person. My job is to watch tape. i prefer minter i think he is a better fit for the ravens. agree to disagree .

If you think about it, this was the perfect year to win the Super Bowl. A draft that's short on game-changing, once in a generation type picks for those top 10 teams, but so chock full of depth that there's little difference at this point between picking #32 and #20. Few elite prospects, but a ton of good ones. Whoever we get, I have confidence that he'll be just what we need.

Minter... not Teo. Somebody who needs headlines (the Jets?) will take Teo since he will come with tons of pub, but if Minter falls to us, it's almost a no-brainer.

Jesse Williams or Kevin Minter. Honestly, DE isn't that much of a need for us, since Haloti Ngata takes up one of the DE spots and Arthur Jones/Paul Kruger have it covered (assuming Kruger's back, which is unlikely.). DT, however, is a different story. Also, no matter if we keep Ellerbe or not, if Kevin Minter falls to us, he's so good of a player he deserves to be a Raven. But I really like Williams because from what I've seen, he acts and plays like a Raven (and Ozzie knows his true skill).

bigdaddycompton:

The problem with your assessment is that Jones isn't much of a pass rusher and McPhee has never been much in run stopping. So essentially you've got a complete player in Ngata and ONE complete player if Jones and McPhee morphed their talents into one person. That means you're one defensive player short (ideally a big DT).

The Ravens like to move Ngata around the line, and he's much more of a DT than he is a NT. You could argue he would probably be an elite 4-3 DT also, because teams couldnt afford to double team him.

But essentially, we have no depth at defensive line behind those three, and I'm not sold that Arthur Jones or McPhee are 3 down lineman. Cody hasn't panned out, and Keomeatu is likely gone next season, so a DT that can run and pass defend would be ideal.

I'm partial to some secondary help myself, but I haven't seen much in the top of the draft worthy of that selection.

[quote name='rmcjacket23' timestamp='1361318156' post='1362492']
bigdaddycompton:

The problem with your assessment is that Jones isn't much of a pass rusher and McPhee has never been much in run stopping. So essentially you've got a complete player in Ngata and ONE complete player if Jones and McPhee morphed their talents into one person. That means you're one defensive player short (ideally a big DT).

The Ravens like to move Ngata around the line, and he's much more of a DT than he is a NT. You could argue he would probably be an elite 4-3 DT also, because teams couldnt afford to double team him.

But essentially, we have no depth at defensive line behind those three, and I'm not sold that Arthur Jones or McPhee are 3 down lineman. Cody hasn't panned out, and Keomeatu is likely gone next season, so a DT that can run and pass defend would be ideal.

I'm partial to some secondary help myself, but I haven't seen much in the top of the draft worthy of that selection.
[/quote]

I believe Jones finished the season with something like 5 sacks and before that he was known for being a run stopper which was what we primarily used him for. So I think he flashes the skills to be a complete 3-4 DE. McPhee was playing injured the whole season, but when he was healthy in the playoffs, he really turned it on. So when healthy at lest, I believe Mchpee has the potential to be a complete 3-4 DE. If we end up using Ngata primarily as a DE still, I would rather have Deangelo Tyson at NT than Cody or Kemo. Kemo is too old and Cody can't win one on one match ups with guys 50 lbs lighter than him. Cody obviously benfited from having a healthy Hgata and Redding next to him in previous seasons. Tyson flashed a lot of talent and even Bryan Hall made some plays. So both of those guys offer some depth.

The Ravens big board has a list og guys we would take in the first round. If they are gone we will trade down. Its as simple as that. Whether T'eo, Minter or Williams is on there we dont know. It all depends on how the Ravens grade them. And they will leave no stone unturned. Trust the Oz to get us the goods.

Ozzie will trade down to the 2nd round and pick up extra picks. we will not pick in the 1st round this year, like years before. Ozzie will use his magic and trade with someone that needs or desperate for QB that has falling to 32nd pick, and ozzie will pull the trigger.

Te'o, according to the many analysts, though a decent linebacker, is not fast enough to play ILB in Baltimore's system. He would actually represent a downgrade of the position recently held by Ray Lewis. Ravens need Ogletree, Minter or Author to significantly upgrade the position.

With so much action around the league regarding player release and contract renegotiation and knowing that we have a lot of moves to make, I am a little surprised it has been so quiet on the Raven's personnel front.