Photo

[News] Late For Work 2/19: Would Paying Joe Flacco $20 Million A Year Hinder The Ravens?

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 BR News

BR News

Hall of Famer

• Guests
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,559 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:58 AM

Tough decisions coming on supporting cast. Steeler praises Flacco. Jacoby’s new tattoo.

View the full article

#2 bmorefan444

bmorefan444

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

So did a child draw that tattoo for Jacoby or did he just hire the worst tattoo artist ever?

Flacco deserves whatever he gets. Imagine how sick we would be if we let Flacco sign with another team, and then we had to sit and watch him take his new squad through the playoffs.

#3 drillem

drillem

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:00 AM

If Flacco was replace-able... But who you gonna get? Alex Smith isn't it. The salary cap will deal with all teams increasing player salary appetites in time. I don't see any team paying a qb $20 million with the cap without severely hurting the rest of the team. It does little good to have a four star qb if you can't afford the rest of the team. I don't know what this team or others are going to do to solve this dilimma. Look at other teams that fell flat due to salary cap issues. We don't pay to see mediocre football. The NFL needs to lift this artificial restriction in order for football to remain enjoyable. If the danged owner wants to pay his players let him. Or set the max limit on each position league wide. End this drain of players each year. It's more like musical chairs than football. I'd like to see some of the 'free agents' of recent years back in Bmore. Now we thinkin' about offing Flacco due to the cap??!!! Just plain goooooooofey!!

#4 Trevelyan

Trevelyan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

The defense may be rebuilt on a discount expense but that wont be the case with the offense. SB42 was the official passing of the torch, From Ray to Flacco, and also from defense to offense. The main priority now is to get the offense in the top 5 next year and if that means sacrificing some pass rushers and defensive players to keep flacco happy and potentially afford some more offensive weapons, that may be just what happens.

#5 Jasont505

Jasont505

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I love Jacoby and I know we wouldn't be Super Bowl champs without him. But dude that's one jacked tat...

#6 TheSim

TheSim

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:04 AM

Can we all agree to not freak out when the Ravens inevitably franchise tag him and then wait until the last second to get a long-term deal signed this summer?

#7 redravenfan

redravenfan

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:05 AM

Pay Joe get it done Ozzie and Pat are very good at this I'm confident . Talking about Alex Smith is as much nonesense as us signing Tebow for any reason lol.I know we are all missing football but wow. In the past week I have seen two reports on Ellerbe being underrated if the talking heads don't hush we will lose him too .That tattoo is not good .

Edited by redravenfan, 19 February 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#8 RisingandConquering

RisingandConquering

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

So did a child draw that tattoo for Jacoby or did he just hire the worst tattoo artist ever?

Flacco deserves whatever he gets. Imagine how sick we would be if we let Flacco sign with another team, and then we had to sit and watch him take his new squad through the playoffs.

Guess you have not seen this tattoo
http://deadspin.com/...oo-in-the-world

#9 drillem

drillem

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

And as far as players leaving for more money due to free agency, ask any of them if they'd rather have been in Bmore this season than where they flew off to!! Ask JJ if he'd rather have been in San Dieago or Bmore. The fans support the NFL. Without them there is no NFL. We spend a lot of time and money and emotion while a player develops and don't wanna see them fly off to other cities due to salary caps/free agency. END THE SALARY CAP NOW!!!! Stop this homogenization of football. I don't want to watch football if all teams look exactly alike. I'll just watch high school and college ball if that happens. Put some restrictions on maximum salary for each position in order to stop the loss of players the fans feel loyal to.

#10 raven410

raven410

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

All though it probably won't happen, it would be great if the Ravens can sign Flacco over this weekend and get it over with. Pay the man and move on. We could then focus our attention on trying to resign other key free agents.

#11 The Greek

The Greek

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,476 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

$20 million per year will hurt this team. the fo will have to cut players like boldin sizzle and ngata next year to free up $$. defense will really suffer next season if flacco gets $20 million. does he deserve it in todays market? yes but how much do you need to secure your families future and do not forget the $$ he gets from endorsements. i guess we will find out how important it is to flacco to win more superbowls. i am a huge flacco fan but seeing any player making millions of $$ per season especially when its in the double digits lets me know that we the fans are overpaying for parking, tix, condiments, apparel and novelties. dont get me wrong playing careers can be short and you have to get what you can but without us fans they wouldnt get anything. please lower ticket prices in all sports!!

#12 J.O.14

J.O.14

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:15 AM

And as far as players leaving for more money due to free agency, ask any of them if they'd rather have been in Bmore this season than where they flew off to!! Ask JJ if he'd rather have been in San Dieago or Bmore. The fans support the NFL. Without them there is no NFL. We spend a lot of time and money and emotion while a player develops and don't wanna see them fly off to other cities due to salary caps/free agency. END THE SALARY CAP NOW!!!! Stop this homogenization of football. I don't want to watch football if all teams look exactly alike. I'll just watch high school and college ball if that happens. Put some restrictions on maximum salary for each position in order to stop the loss of players the fans feel loyal to.

If you take away the salary cap, then the NFL would turn into the NBA. Certain teams would load up with talent while other teams aren't so lucky. And the teams that would load up would be your warmer area teams. That would be horrible for the NFL, and would probably make it go extinct faster than Godell will. The salary cap is what makes the NFL fun to watch. Yeah it sucks losing quality players, but we have one of the best franchises in replacing players like that. How many times have we lost a player and it came back to bite us??? Bart Scott has yet to beat us, Jarrett Johnson had his worst season in 7 years, Ben Grubbs went to a disaster, Cory Redding got beat by us, so we usually turn out smaarter than the player that left us.

#13 J.O.14

J.O.14

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

$20 million per year will hurt this team. the fo will have to cut players like boldin sizzle and ngata next year to free up $$. defense will really suffer next season if flacco gets $20 million. does he deserve it in todays market? yes but how much do you need to secure your families future and do not forget the $$ he gets from endorsements. i guess we will find out how important it is to flacco to win more superbowls. i am a huge flacco fan but seeing any player making millions of $$ per season especially when its in the double digits lets me know that we the fans are overpaying for parking, tix, condiments, apparel and novelties. dont get me wrong playing careers can be short and you have to get what you can but without us fans they wouldnt get anything. please lower ticket prices in all sports!!

Ngata and Suggs are not going anywhere, and i don't think Boldin is either. Is 20 million a year to much for a player? Yes, that kind of money is to much for any athlete. But Flacco deserves to get paid, and if he keeps playing the way he was at the end of the season and playoffs, our defense can afford to be a little weaker.

#14 iluvpurple

iluvpurple

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:21 AM

@Trevelyan...I think you mean SB47, not SB42. I'm not going to worry over Joe's contract negotiations, what's going to happen will happen, and I trust the FO to get it done. Still may have players leave that we don't want leaving but business is business, unfortunately.

#15 bmorefan444

bmorefan444

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:23 AM

Guess you have not seen this tattoo
http://deadspin.com/...oo-in-the-world

hahaha touche
"That's once again the same people who told me I was too small, the same people who said I couldn't win a Super Bowl with our offense, the same people who said I couldn't play in a 3-4, ... Are they with me when I get up every morning at 6:30 to go to work? The day I lose a step is the day I lose love for the game." Ray Lewis

#16 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:25 AM

I love Jacoby and I know we wouldn't be Super Bowl champs without him. But dude that's one jacked tat...

It's probably a family member or close friend... The artist is doing the work in what looks like a hotel room. I doubt a professional does work in a hotel room.
"No weapon forged against us shall prosper. And every tongue which rises against us in judgment, we shall condemn."

#17 callahan09

callahan09

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:31 AM

Including post-season stats, Joe Flacco has the third most yards per season in his career of all time (among all QBs in NFL history who were in the NFL for more than one season):

1. Peyton Manning: 4344.4 Yards Per Season
2. Drew Brees: 4074.9 Yards Per Season
3. Joe Flacco: 4061 Yards Per Season

The only other quarterbacks to average 4000 yards per season are Andrew Luck (4662 yards, but only one season) and Matt Ryan (4039.4 yards per season).

#18 missing person

missing person

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:35 AM

It will be fun to watch when Joe gets 20 million and has a bad game. Everyone will go crazy hahahaha the media will have a field day. They are probably planning the headlines now, Ravens get robbed, Ozzie's catastrophe, Should newsome be fired ? Joe Flukeo was he a one hit wonder? Hahahaha it will be fun to watch.

#19 purple-raven

purple-raven

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:36 AM

I agree that Joe Flacco needs to be paid. However 20Million a year. No way! Look at the Saints with Drew Brees. That contract is killing them. Even if we get through this seasons cap woes. We would have to deal with that number for years to come, and it will change how this team drafts and stocks talent. His agent needs to understand that Joe needs a supporting cast and with big contracts come bigger expectations. Bolden, Jones and Leech had been mentioned as cap casualties. Where would Joe be without them. You can't replace them in the draft and address the holes you presently have, and where would your team be without them? We all know how this town was after losing a few games in a row, imagine a few seasons where we don't make the playoffs.

#20 BMORElegacy

BMORElegacy

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,765 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:39 AM

Wasn't Ryan Clark the jerk that made the comment that the Ravens Steelers rivalry wasn't a 'real' rivalry because the Ravens didn't win enough of the head-to-head match ups? How's that working out for ya now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users