27 replies to this topic

#1 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,817 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:31 PM

Some I got into an argument with a Flacons fan while studying in the library..... ( Fun right?)

Saying that Joe, even tho he has just as many SB MVPs as Ryan has playoff wins, wouldn't be able to hold Matt Ryan's jock. He plays in the tougher division....

Well...... I argued that Ryan gets to play crappy defenses twice a year... And that if Peety cheaty didn't ice your kicker, that Matty ice would have as many playoff wins as Flacco had interceptions this postseason. He went home....

Not to make this a Flacco thread, or a QB thread. But let's look at it more in depth.

We play some damn good teams in the AFC north, if the Browns had an actuall QB, they would be playoff contenders.

Lets start off with the browns.

This year we play The Vikings...... You heard me right.
That means we play the undisputed best RB in the NFL. AP.
If we play the Browns first, we do have an advantage. Richardson is a similar kind of athlete. If we ever have to face a beastly RB like AP, or Foster, we have experience in this department.

We also play the Lions, meaning Megatron

You can't stop Megatron, you can only hope to contain him.

The Same can be said with our own division rival AJ Green.

We've had practice with Green, who has yet to score a TD vs our starters. We are prepared to face a WR of Megatrons Caliber.

Chicago has arguably the best D in the NFL.... How do we prepare for them? Well, we can face defensive genius Lebaue.... That D is always top of the rankings.

The Packers high powered o? We practice against a high powered offense every day in training camp?

That's just the NFC north we are playing.....

If we are playing against a mobile QB? Look no farther in playing the steelers Rottenberger... Or our very own Tyrod Taylor.
A stout D? Every team in the AFC north has got one.
An elite QB? We practice against one every day during training camp.
Elite RB? We play Richardson twice a year.
Elite WR? AJ Green.

Yes, we may be vastly similar to the NFC North, but what makes it harder to play in the AFC North.

Defense.

Rodgers usually struggles vs stout Defenses. Joe is used to playing them to a degree that he can just walk it off....

Take the SF game for example. No one thought our offense was going to do anything. And Joe played a hell of a game. Embarrassing them. Why? He plays defenses like SF twice a year, three of them to be exact. And he practices against one every day.

This gives us, and any AFC north team (cept the Browns, no QB), an advantage over several other teams. Teams quake in there boots when they go on to play Megatron... We say fine, we got Green twice a year, bring it....

Do I think this gives us a distinct advantage over the rest of the NFL? Yes, a huge one....

Oh, and to answer the question at the top....... Matt Ryan wouldn't last a day here. Neither would Brady.

This is a very hard division to make the playoffs in.... Every team (Cept the browns) are contenders.

The fact that Flacco has taken us to the playoffs every year since he's been here.... Is amazing on its own. When you look at the competition he plays on a consistent basis,it's even more amazing.

#2 hawkprey

hawkprey

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

Do you ever get along with people?

#3 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,817 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:09 PM

Do you ever get along with people?

Most of the time yes.........

#4 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,486 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Did you just call Trent Richardson elite?
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#5 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,817 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:22 PM

Did you just call Trent Richardson elite?

Elite potential. He isn't there yet. He's an elite talent.

Edited by Mr. Irrelevant, 18 February 2013 - 03:22 PM.

#6 mdrsharon

mdrsharon

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

the bottom line is...

any given Sunday.

Some times "good" teams are crappy and "bad" teams pick it up. The talent level is different on all teams, but you can't pass over injuries, weather, and all the other factors to see how each team will play.

Like Harbs said all year, when you win, you are lucky in the NFL.

But this year, we are the best - nobody can dispute!!!
Even grumpy Niners fans.

#7 gabefergy

gabefergy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,152 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:26 PM

I think playing in the AFC North is an advantage. It's a very physical and talented division and the conditions of playing outdoor games are a good primer for the type of elements we faced in Den and NE.

@gabefergy

#8 flynismo

flynismo

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,486 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:37 PM

Iron sharpens iron, we all know that....
Just look at our three playoff opponents. All three of them play cupcake divisions and padded their wins because of that. Two of them were one and done (courtesy of us) and as always, the Pats stumbled when confronted by an elite team not from Houston.
Self-appointed President of The Flacco Lovers Foundation (F.L.F)Joe Flacco, Super Bowl 47 MVPFarewell to a legend. Thanks for the memories, Ray Ray!If you woke up this morning, congratulations. You got another chance

#9 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,764 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

Flacco can't hold Ryan's jock and we all should be happy about that.

Choking in big time situations is contagious and Joe needs not touch anything that's in Ryan's possession. Jamie Dukes can no longer use the well Matt Ryan only losses to Super Bowl Champs excuse anymore. Falcons fans can't complain about their play caller anymore, it was Matt Ryan who dropped the perfect shotgun snap when the pressure started to build, he wasn't hit, it wasn't a bad snap or poor play call, he just came up small.

Maybe the NFL can find a way to put both Romo and Ryan in a NFC Championship together. That way at least one of those guys can shake the choker label. Then again, with those 2 at QB, it'll probably be a triple OT game with the game ending on a fumbled snap in the endzone by one of the QBs. Final score 2-0.

Ryan's name should no longer be mentioned with Flacco, except to remind people they were drafted the same time.

As for playing in the AFC North, Flacco's tougness is very much underrated. We all praise Ben for his toughness and willingness to play hurt even in games that don't matter, but I've seen Flacco get blasted, lay on the turf a bit and refuse a helping hand to get up. I don't see the same toughness from Ryan. Won't call him soft, but he's no where near as tough as Flacco. And let's not even talk about the elements exposing his average arm.
Posted Image

#10 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

I like to think playing the browns is a massive advantage... 2 free wins a year is a solid advantage.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#11 Gordo52

Gordo52

52 G.O.A.T.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,476 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 04:40 PM

I like to think playing the browns is a massive advantage... 2 free wins a year is a solid advantage.

True, they almost beat us once though. :o and they play more physical in harsh conditions then the other teams...

Patriots get Jets, Dolphins and Bills 2x a year.
Broncos get Raiders,Chiefs, Chargers.

In the last two years I think the AFC North has been alot more tougher to play in then the other divisions! And we've won it both times.
2dc45a6e-0473-4d16-b247-f9f9608f28d3_zps

#12 redrum52

redrum52

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,973 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:09 PM

Some I got into an argument with a Flacons fan while studying in the library..... ( Fun right?)

Saying that Joe, even tho he has just as many SB MVPs as Ryan has playoff wins, wouldn't be able to hold Matt Ryan's jock. He plays in the tougher division....

Well...... I argued that Ryan gets to play crappy defenses twice a year... And that if Peety cheaty didn't ice your kicker, that Matty ice would have as many playoff wins as Flacco had interceptions this postseason. He went home....

Not to make this a Flacco thread, or a QB thread. But let's look at it more in depth.

We play some damn good teams in the AFC north, if the Browns had an actuall QB, they would be playoff contenders.

If we play the Browns first, we do have an advantage. Richardson is a similar kind of athlete. If we ever have to face a beastly RB like AP, or Foster, we have experience in this department.

We've had practice with Green, who has yet to score a TD vs our starters. We are prepared to face a WR of Megatrons Caliber.

Chicago has arguably the best D in the NFL.... How do we prepare for them? Well, we can face defensive genius Lebaue.... That D is always top of the rankings.

The Packers high powered o? We practice against a high powered offense every day in training camp?

If we are playing against a mobile QB? Look no farther in playing the steelers Rottenberger... Or our very own Tyrod Taylor.
Elite WR? AJ Green.

Yes, we may be vastly similar to the NFC North, but what makes it harder to play in the AFC North.

Defense.

Rodgers usually struggles vs stout Defenses. Joe is used to playing them to a degree that he can just walk it off....

Take the SF game for example. No one thought our offense was going to do anything. And Joe played a hell of a game. Embarrassing them. Why? He plays defenses like SF twice a year, three of them to be exact. And he practices against one every day.

This gives us, and any AFC north team (cept the Browns, no QB), an advantage over several other teams. Teams quake in there boots when they go on to play Megatron... We say fine, we got Green twice a year, bring it....

Do I think this gives us a distinct advantage over the rest of the NFL? Yes, a huge one....

Oh, and to answer the question at the top....... Matt Ryan wouldn't last a day here. Neither would Brady.

This is a very hard division to make the playoffs in.... Every team (Cept the browns) are contenders.

The fact that Flacco has taken us to the playoffs every year since he's been here.... Is amazing on its own. When you look at the competition he plays on a consistent basis,it's even more amazing.

Rodgers will light up our defense if they don't improve from last year. He can release the ball as quick as Peyton, with more arm strength than Peyton and Brady, while also being more accurate than both. Oh yeah, he's mobile too. I think Rodgers is the best qb in the league now. He played behind a terrible line and with a terrible defense. I ldo agree that this schedule shiuld have the team ready for the post season though, that doesn't mean it will be easy. Im concerned about what happens when Suggs comes back. Wondering why he's not just going to go through with the surgery.

#13 Miami Hurricane

Miami Hurricane

Category 5

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,773 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

Rodgers will light up our defense if they don't improve from last year. He can release the ball as quick as Peyton, with more arm strength than Peyton and Brady, while also being more accurate than both. Oh yeah, he's mobile too. I think Rodgers is the best qb in the league now. He played behind a terrible line and with a terrible defense. I ldo agree that this schedule shiuld have the team ready for the post season though, that doesn't mean it will be easy. Im concerned about what happens when Suggs comes back. Wondering why he's not just going to go through with the surgery.

Surgery can be very uncomfortable for some people so if it isn't completely necessary than they don't want to go through with it. For example almost everyone in my family gets incredibly sick from anesthesia involved in surgery. I have no problem with anesthesia or surgery personally but they hate getting it and try to avoid it at all costs.
"It was cool."- Joe Flacco"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the SOB?' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose."- Brian BillickOwner of Thomas Nast's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen who Enjoy Sailboats and Luther Vandross in the 2013 BR.com Franchise Mock<p>

#14 Bltravens

Bltravens

Livin In An Igloo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,692 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

Doctors subscribe to the "if its not totally necessary then dont get surgery" line of thinking. And for good reason, invasive surgery can lead to infection complications, that part of the body never being the same and limitations later in life with the limb. If Suggs didn't 100% need surgery then Im sure the doctor advised against getting surgery.

As to what the advantages of playing in the AFC North are, well we play in a division where only a year ago all 4 teams had top 10 defenses, that alone makes your offense better or totally crumble. At the very least it means playing non division opponents (like in the playoffs usually) alot smoother sailing. The cold weather means your team can travel anywhere in the country and not lose a beat, whether its raining, snowing, windy as all hell or a dome. I think the last one is the greatest advantage of playing in the AFC North. We ever get the #1 seed and a team has to play in Baltimore for the AFC Champ in January and that advantage is massive, unless its another AFC North team.

Edited by Bltravens, 18 February 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#15 AsianRice

AsianRice

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,234 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

Flacco can't hold Ryan's jock and we all should be happy about that.

Choking in big time situations is contagious and Joe needs not touch anything that's in Ryan's possession. Jamie Dukes can no longer use the well Matt Ryan only losses to Super Bowl Champs excuse anymore. Falcons fans can't complain about their play caller anymore, it was Matt Ryan who dropped the perfect shotgun snap when the pressure started to build, he was hit, it wasn't a bad snap or poor play call, he just came up small.

Maybe the NFL can find a way to put both Romo and Ryan in a NFC Championship together. That way at least one of those guys can shake the choker label. Then again, with those 2 at QB, it'll probably be a triple OT game with the game ending on a fumbled snap in the endzone by one of the QBs. Final score 2-0.

Ryan's name should no longer be mentioned with Flacco, except to remind people they were drafted the same time.

As for playing in the AFC North, Flacco's tougness is very much underrated. We all praise Ben for his toughness and willingness to play hurt even in games that don't matter, but I've seen Flacco get blasted, lay on the turf a bit and refuse a helping hand to get up. I don't see the same toughness from Ryan. Won't call him soft, but he's no where near as tough as Flacco. And let's not even talk about the elements exposing his average arm.

Ryan is always trying to imitate Manning's popular gestures before the snap: suspiciously eye patrolling at LOS and making audible with finger pointing to the opposing defenders. When the ball snapped, he looks shaky and make bad decisions, worrying about getting sacked when his Oline is holding up pretty good.....

Once a choker, forever a choker.....you can't teach that.....
2013 WORLD CHAMPION

#16 Ravensfan23

Ravensfan23

Hall of Famer

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,764 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

Ryan is always trying to imitate Manning's popular gestures before the snap: suspiciously eye patrolling at LOS and making audible with finger pointing to the opposing defenders. When the ball snapped, he looks shaky and make bad decisions, worrying about getting sacked when his Oline is holding up pretty good.....

Once a choker, forever a choker.....you can't teach that.....

That's something I do agree with Cam Cameron on. All that at the line audibling is overrated. It's Peyton's thing and he does it well, but even he admits that 90% of it is BS. It all looks good, but when the ball is snapped, you still gotta make the right play. Ryan does a well enough job, but in crucial moments when defense don't play off coverage, he tends to struggle.
Posted Image

#17 Dudeman

Dudeman

Pro Bowler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:57 PM

It's true that the AFC north features the best over-all defenses in the NFL over the past few seasons. Yet we also need to acknowledge an over-all step backwards in the division as well last year. The NFC West actually are probably the reigning champs of best defensive division in Seattle, San Fran, and St Louis/Arizona were better than advertised. But I do believe that next year we are going to see improvements across the board to the AFC North defenses.

Now I am going to play devil's advocate and say that Matt Ryan is a very good QB, playing in a very competitive division offensively. Ryan had a great season, and had his team within a couple of yards of a Super Bowl appearance. For whatever reason Flacco and Ryan have both been in a battle of perceptions that are forced on them by the media. I believe that in the next few years that Flacco and Ryan could possibly be facing off in a Super Bowl to determine once and for all who is better....Even then the arguments are totally subjective. Let me ask generally who is better, Joe Montana, John Elway, or Dan Marino? I say Joe, but you ask around and the opinions are going to differ. The bottom line is that all those QB's are great.

I really just don't understand all the disrespect shown to Ryan. I am sure he'd have enjoyed the same sucess if he was drafted by us, just like he had a successful collegiate career. The stats and the winning percentage also support that Matt Ryan is indeed a gifted passer. In the end its all just different strokes for different folks.

Would I trade Joe for Matt? No, not by a long shot but I am obviously biased here. I am just saying that there is no reason to hate on Ryan. The two players are friends for goodness sake, and its not like they are division rivals. Furthermore, off the field Ryan and Flacco seem like fine upstanding citizens. So where's the beef?

Oh and as an after-thought Mr. Irrelevant your whole post and points are disjointed. You start off by saying lets talk about the Browns and our divsion, and then go into a long tirade about the NFC North which has no relationship with comparing the AFC North and the NFC South; which is where I thought you may be going with this. Next time, try to stay on your on topic :D

Edited by Dudeman, 18 February 2013 - 07:02 PM.

603060_10151508899441059_1219667063_n.jp

#18 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Elite WR? AJ Green.

Defense.

The Falcons are choke artists thats all you have to say to that kid. The same can be said to any Patriots fans too...they are the top of the AFC because they are a shoe in to the playoffs every year because of their weak division. All you need to do to get nto the playoffs is win your division...look at the 7-9 seahawks a couple years ago who made it in lol

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

#19 SecretAgentMan

SecretAgentMan

SAM I Am......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,817 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:48 PM

The Falcons are choke artists thats all you have to say to that kid. The same can be said to any Patriots fans too...they are the top of the AFC because they are a shoe in to the playoffs every year because of their weak division. All you need to do to get nto the playoffs is win your division...look at the 7-9 seahawks a couple years ago who made it in lol

Those 7-9 Seahawks won a playoff game lol

#20 Purple_ICE 81

Purple_ICE 81

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:51 PM

Those 7-9 Seahawks won a playoff game lol

Yea thats all Im saying the Patriots are blessed to have a garbage division and dominate thos easy games which puts them in prime territory to get into the playoffs but we all know what happens when they reach real competition. I wish the Pats could actually have a hard schedule next year.

Welcome WR Steve Smith 5 time pro bowler

Career Stats: 836 receptions /// 12,200 yards /// 67 TDs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users