Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BR News

[News] How Are Lardarius Webb and Jameel McClain?

46 posts in this topic

The two starting defenders are working their way back from season-ending injuries.

[url=http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/How-Are-Lardarius-Webb-and-Jameel-McClain/e89d7173-ac8c-4352-aa6d-1cb42aa9eb03]View the full article[/url]

webb is an elite corner, whether the league recognizes it or not, BUT our pass defense seemed to be fine without webb, cant say the same for our run defense after losing jmac. while hes not a flashy extraordinary ILB, the dude stuffed runningbacks right in their gaps better than ray did this year. ellerbe is excellent in coverage, and is decent in certain blitz packages, while mcclain can blitz very effectively anywhere and is a above average run-stuffer, those 2 combined will make a very good duo, especially since they both have played next to ray for 4-5 years straight. they can handle this job. re-signing ellerbe should be our first priority after signing joe, we will have a very serviceable, and very intelligent LB corp for years

I believe Webb will be back to Pro bowl form, even after a second ACL now both knees are messed up... however he's still young enough to recover.

McClain on the other hand... I'm not opposed and would likely Cut him..

Reason: He's coming off the Neck/Spinal contusion so its a giant risk to think he can be any sort of adequate from MLB position. 2nd, he cost us 4.5 Mil/YR.. he's not even our best MLB, thats Ellerbe, and Josh Bynes cost like 750k/yr and he's as Good as McClain in fact the game he played against Denver he Racked up like 17 tackles.. He's big and fast all this kid needs is a shot at regular playing time..

So I would cut McClain and save the 4.5 Mil, which could go towards a Ellerbe, Reed, Boldin, or Flacco Contract

Cutting mcclain would do nothing but make us lose debth at mlb and and at the beginning of the contract would probably have to swallow the cap money so thats like spending on a mlb thats not on the team. Just like if they cut rice right now, it would do nothing but cost money and not save any cap space whatsoever. They wouldntve spent that money on him if he wasnt worth it.

[quote name='ravensdog86' timestamp='1361139675' post='1360144']
I believe Webb will be back to Pro bowl form, even after a second ACL now both knees are messed up... however he's still young enough to recover.

Reason: He's coming off the Neck/Spinal contusion so its a giant risk to think he can be any sort of adequate from MLB position. 2nd, he cost us 4.5 Mil/YR.. he's not even our best MLB, thats Ellerbe, and Josh Bynes cost like 750k/yr and he's as Good as McClain in fact the game he played against Denver he Racked up like 17 tackles.. He's big and fast all this kid needs is a shot at regular playing time..

So I would cut McClain and save the 4.5 Mil, which could go towards a Ellerbe, Reed, Boldin, or Flacco Contract
[/quote]Well, thankfully you're not incharge of the Ravens cause McClain is a lot more important than you think.

Spinal injury for a LB is nothing to play with. Ravens will be very cautious with him. I expect him to be PUP and possibly IR'd.

Uhm...I think a guy that doesn't give up a touchdown all season long, and doesn't get beat deep in more than 1 season has [u]already[/u] established himself as a premier corner.

You have to see it, before someone actually steps up and claims it...whether those somebodies are the talking heads on ESPN or NFL Network or wherever. Webby is already top tier.

Just look at his play. Don't worry if the only names you hear are Revis, and Talib, and the soon to be departed Bailey....I'm just telling it like it is and like most people already know

I can't wait to wear my Webb jersey again . Glad both are doing well . I am optimistic about this coming year even with the cuts I know we will suffer.

Wonder if Webb is gonna be all go or he's going to be used as a nickel or dime back at first my theory is use him as a nickel at first why risk it

@Purple ghost: just question sorry if is kinda stupid...does webbie and macclain earn rings or not???

NO question is stupid, Bro. ALL that I know in that matter is that the winning team was limited to X-amount from the NFL. If any additional rings are requested from that team, the team has to put up the additional money for any xtras.

I really enjoy the way McClain stops the run, and obviously Webby is just great. Speedy recovery for both of them. Can't wait until 2013!

Posted · Hidden by Moderator 3, February 18, 2013 - anybody stick to the subject? · Report post

off topic but the Ravens could find Reeds replacement in Bacarri Rambo who is excellent in pass coverage.

McClain and Webb are two phenomenal athletes, and it is unfortunate that the injuries happen, and they work so hard always along with the whole team and hopefully they will get their chance soon to play in the Super Bowl in the near future. Anything can happen in football. ;) I hope that Ozzie makes the right movies, and hope the Ravens get Joe signed this week because the anticipation is killing me. Lets go Ravens baby and you can do it Ozzie.

[quote name='ravensdog86' timestamp='1361139675' post='1360144']

[/quote]

You are missing how the salary cap works. If we cut McClain, we will not save 4.5M. In 2013 he is set to make 3M in base salary and 1.2M in bonus money. Next year (the last year of his contract) he is set to also get 1.2M in bonus money.

When you cut a player, his bonus money for all years on his contract goes against the cap. We would save 3M base salary, but incur a 2.4M cap hit on his bonus money, netting a whopping .6M in savings. Cutting a starter worthy player in a position where we are already thin, simply because there is a risk he many not return to his original form right away for a .6M savings is not smart football.

Ellerbe is an absolute priority FA - clearly the biggest we have outside of Joe, and McClain's injury is a part of the reason. But cutting McClain right now would be foolish.

[quote name='outkast1' timestamp='1361154331' post='1360535']
These two are fine,but will Cody be a raven next year?It looks pretty bad for him.
[/quote]

On Cody ... if he were set to make any kind of money this year, he'd be history. Cutting him would only net around 300K, so I think he'll stay a Raven simply because it isn't really worth dumping him. We may feel it is worth keeping him around as a bench player to give him one last chance to prove that he's worth the 2nd round pick we spent to get him.

But no doubt, when Ozzie said that defense up the middle is what we intend to make a priority in the draft and cited DT as the first position where we need to improve, that was quite an indictment on Cody's performance.

It was really tough seeing these guys go down before the season started and during the cowboys game (webb), but I know that through hard work and strict rehabilitation, these guys will be back in no time.

For those thinking that cutting Jameel McClain is a good idea, balfan23 put it perfectly that his bonus money nearly negates the saved contract money, netting only 0.6 million in gains to give up a starting player.

WE WILL BE BACK come September

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I have heard several people bring up the possibility of an injury settlement with McClain depending on the severity of his injury. Perhaps we would be able to cut ties and save more money that way instead of just cutting him outright.

We need to keep McClain. He is a good Raven and imo truly accents this LB core we have. Webb is going to be all pro once again. For those analysts that say that we are going to be hurting on D, i think they are very wrong. our cb stable is strong and rising stars like C.Graham, C.Brown along with J.Smith and O.Brown = we are going to be shut down in the coming yrs. its exiting to see considering it was only a couple yrs ago that we were screaming at the top of our lungs for Frank Walker and Foxworth to be canned and replaced. we have plenty of upside on D, even if we end up losing Reed along with R.Lewis.

If Jameel got the green light by the doctors he should be fine : Remenber Dawan Landry had the same type of freakish Injury and was able to come back and hit the same... wish him well , he was rated an above average starter by PFF this season before going down , wich is a really good thing....If not , an injury settlement can provide him and his family wealthy cash security while freeing some cap space for the team at the same time...

I'm a bit more concerned by Lardarius case : two major injuries in both knees at a very tough position for knees can really mess up a career. But i'm sure the ravens have a backup plan and some are already saying a switch at FS can be a win win situation... Lardarius is a ball hawk and if Ed Reed is lost we can replace him with a great player with the same range of coverage and a much better tackling ability. He has lot of free safety experience and even if he lack the ideal size it's not as important as playing the strong safety position... And even if Lardarius want to be paid like a corner i'm sure playing safety is better for his career longetivity... We have a great depth at the cornerback position too so a switch is a possibility...

[quote name='Purpleghost23' timestamp='1361152206' post='1360466']
just question sorry if is kinda stupid...does webbie and macclain earn rings or not???
[/quote]each team gets 150 rings . the owner has the option to purchase more . they should both get rings as they contributed to the season

if reed is not back next season i still feel the ravens should think about moving webb to safety if christian thompson and whomever they draft does not look ready to take over. webb is instinctive and a playmaker and this move would add years to his playing career. also keeping jacoby jones keeps webb from returning kicks which will help keep him from injury. just a thought!!